Open Box S9 Hd Pvr Is Junk!

gudtymchuk

Just recently purchased an Open Box S9 HD PVR from Jsat.tv and this PVR is a total piece of Chinese Junk. If anyone out there is considering buying on of these pieces of crap don't waste your money. When I inquired about this PVR I was assured that the open box is a much better product than the dreambox. I never owned a dreambox but I seriously doubt the open box is a better product. I have never been so disappointed in something in my life.

I also purchased an open box from JSat recently so I can watch all the Aust NRL games and I am very pleased with it and also the after sales service from JSat and no I am not connected with JSat whatsover but have had dealings with them over the past 7 years.

Can you expand on what aspects disappointed you?

Yes, be glad to expand. I keep getting on screen message, USB device disconnected then a few seconds later, USB device connected. I've tried 3 different USB storage devices from a 500mb hard drive, 16mb flash drive and smaller memory stick. Pre-set recording does not work. I've tried several times and when I go to timer settings the pre-sets are there before but never recorded. Once something is recorded when I use the pause it stops completely causing me to have to re-start the recorded program and fast forward to where I originally paused the recording. When using fast backward the screen freezes and no idea how far back unless I hit play. Just a few of the problems I've encountered but I am sure there are more as I've only had the device for a week.

Well I paid 8000 baht for the Dream box 800 a year ago and it needed repairing 2 times before it died! The Open Box is only 2700 baht had it 2 months and it works well.Does not over heat as did the Dream Box. Update needed or reprograming. Best of luck

Yes, be glad to expand. I keep getting on screen message, USB device disconnected then a few seconds later, USB device connected. I've tried 3 different USB storage devices from a 500mb hard drive, 16mb flash drive and smaller memory stick. Pre-set recording does not work. I've tried several times and when I go to timer settings the pre-sets are there before but never recorded. Once something is recorded when I use the pause it stops completely causing me to have to re-start the recorded program and fast forward to where I originally paused the recording. When using fast backward the screen freezes and no idea how far back unless I hit play. Just a few of the problems I've encountered but I am sure there are more as I've only had the device for a week.

Only a week old ? Did/have you phoned or emailed them ? John and his wife speak English..

6 years ago bought a Dreambox from them, it is used every day and never had a problem, 6 months later bought a 2nd box, about a year later this box kept freezing, in the next 5 years this box I sent back 32 times for a free repair..... 6 months ago bought another new DM box non-Linux, gave the old box to my Partners Sister she had a different program put in starts with James Bond 007 start-up. and has worked perfectly ever since :annoyed:

Was the problem the box or the flash program ?

No idea about the Open Box....... The Dreambox mostly sold in Thailand is around 4,000 baht, in Germany same box bought here is mid 30,000 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a message from Jsat asking me to put the "record straight" on the purchase of the Openbox s9. After sending an email detailing the problems I am having regarding pre-set recording this is their actual response; Dear K. XXX,

The set top box will only turn on from standby mode with a timer event

and it will not record as it is is in the off / standby mode position

and when it turns on in most cases it will not find the USB HDD to

record to, so the recording will not start. So to be safe it is best to

leave the set top box powered on for all timer events.

Regards

So if I am away for a few days and want to record two or more programs in my absence it is not possible because after the first recording is finished the PVR automatically goes to "standby" so second or third program does not record.

As for the screen freezing on fast backward... sometimes freezes, sometimes doesn't. Also was told that in order for the pause mode to pause and not stop the play back the "time shift" option must be selected. No where in the owners manual did I find this information. Very poor documentation. And finally I went to a small 8gb memory stick and this seems to be working ok and does not continually connect and disconnect.

Do not know where anyone can purchase the Openbox S9 for 2700baht as I paid 10800baht from Jsat. Here is the actual quote:

Openbox S9 HD = THB7,500 (including postage); and

Irdeto cam = THB3,300

Total = THB10,800

In my opinion the recorder is not worth the price.

Hi there, the problem with the so called "PVR" part of these receivers and others of their ilk is that the actual hard drive is not an integral part and has to be connected via a usb. As JSat states it will only record one programme and then go into standby mode from which it cannot record. The receiver itself is excellent for receiving transmissions and works well as those costing much more, I have one in the UK and the new model S10 here in Thailand, but I don't record onto a usb connected hard drive, I use my old dvd/hdd recorder which doesn't freeze and so long as the openbox is timed for recording works great. As for the price, I paid 70 quid for the S9 (or 3500 baht) and 65 quid for the new S10 (3300 baht), it pays to shop around for these machines as they are all made in China so don't be put off by someone saying " are yes those are inferior quality", they are all the same.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post, just pick out relevant parts

• 9 months later...

I had a similar experience with a receiver tied to a specific bouquet here in the middle east.

Reception was fine, but the PVR side was absolute cr*p.

Fortunately I was able to return it.

I don't understand how manufacturers get away with such bad design. :bah: