Avocados In Thailand

midas

Yesterday for lunch I had a Mexican omelette at a restaurant which included a generous serving of avocado pear. What a treat it was ! I had never seen avocado in Thailand and when I asked the restauranteur where he purchased it he said he imports of them from California through an agent because even though they've tried growing them in Thailand apparently they don't taste so good.

Does anyone here know why this is and is it true that no one in Thailand grows avocados?

Edited by midas

Look back a few weeks into the forum,

and you will see a similar thread.

Avocado is grown here and they can be good,

it's apparently a matter of grower knowledge of what a ripe avocado looks like.

They tend to pick them to early before the oils are established,

which makes them watery without good flavor.

There may be a matter of excessive water to the tree,

which also could be remedied by a waterproof ground cover.

I have an Avocado tree that I planted myself. I grew it from a seed from an avocado I purchased at Big C. Then I transplanted it to my yard in an area that does not flood and gets plenty of sun. I live in Issan and when the fruit arrives twice a year I am in heaven. So yes you can purchase them at Big C, grow them and they taste great!

Edited by gosompoi

Must say pleased to read that, I also have grow a tree from seed here in Chiang Rai. About 8 foot tall now, maybe 3 years old. Alas still no fruit :angry:

Sorry to say, but grow from seed , maybe 7+ years before you get fruit. Grafting,get fruit 3+ years.This is what I have been told

I have a 7 foot tall one in a pot on my patio, grew it from a seed. I'm in Pattaya off of 3rd road. Anyone have a proper area to transplant it PM me, you can have it to transplant in the hopes some time in future I can have some fruit in return.

. There have been several good threads on TV, if you do a search, on avocardos in the past few months .

I was growing avovocardos in the early 1970s and for best results you willl require grafted stock for fruit as a general rule. Fruiting will be eratic in quality otherwise

However, because avocardos are still an attractive tree in the own right , i sometimes use seedling avocardos as shade trees and they also respond to pruning and shaping quite well, so they can be used for informal screening so they are not without use even if you do not use them for fruit.

. There have been several good threads on TV, if you do a search, on avocardos in the past few months .

I was growing avovocardos in the early 1970s and for best results you willl require grafted stock for fruit as a general rule. Fruiting will be eratic in quality otherwise

However, because avocardos are still an attractive tree in the own right , i sometimes use seedling avocardos as shade trees and they also respond to pruning and shaping quite well, so they can be used for informal screening so they are not without use even if you do not use them for fruit.

i did some reading on this issue and found the same informaiton, it needs to be graffed,,,i purchased 50 plants just this year and recieved 25 for a partial order,, i got them from s research center near Kai Yai,,,the informaiton is on the other thread in this farming forum section..it is not that hard to find....subject is similar to this one about growing avocados,,,check it out,,,