Need A Recommendation For A Hotel In Chang Mai

rmicheald

Well, after being here for almost 5 years, I am finally going to see some of Thailand besides my wife's village and Pattaya and Bangkok. If anyone has been to Chang Mai, could you recommend a good hotel. Inexpensive, but quality if possible. Close to the night market etc.

Also any recommendations for things to do would be nice, too. My wife has been there before, but not sure how recently.

Thanks in advance...

The past several years we have been staying at the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel. This time of year you should be able to get a double room with breakfast for around B800 either directly through the hotel or one of the hotel booking sites. My experience has been it's cheaper to book via a hotel booking site.

Check out their website for details: www.chiangmaigatehotel.com

Unless you are in desperate need of crappy T shirts or clicky frogs, I'd not recommend the Night Market area as the most attractive area to stay. It looks particularly cruddy in the daytime. Ask the question of Tripadvisor and you'll get some good alternatives...

Unless you are in desperate need of crappy T shirts or clicky frogs, I'd not recommend the Night Market area as the most attractive area to stay. It looks particularly cruddy in the daytime. Ask the question of Tripadvisor and you'll get some good alternatives...

The Down Town inn is good value at the moment . :D ( right next to the night bazaar )

I agree with not staying too near the night bazar, which is touristy and not very interesting. I strongly recommend you stay in the old town area, which is quiet, and nice.

This place opened up recently. Run by a young local couple, the rooms are VERY nice for the price, though they do label themselves 'bed & breakfast' so you don't get things like a swimming pool or a 24/7 restaurant. A basic breakfast is included though:

http://gordchiangmai.com/

Let me know if you want to spend more or less; there's a vast range of guest houses below that price point, and many very nice boutique hotels above it.

uptheos.

re ... How's The Montri at Thapae gate these days

it changed its name to M hotel about six months ago but ive no idea on prices now

imm hotel are still advertising a room at 999 baht on weekdays and weekends with a buffet breakfast

at the mo coz i was in there today but whats the ops budget ?

if he wants to go downmarket a bit a room at miami hotel near spicys was on offer yesterday at 450 baht

a night but with no breakfast

dave2

pic to follow coz thai visas uploading pics has gone on strike again : (

post-42592-0-92486500-1308586434_thumb.j

post-42592-0-93733500-1308586486_thumb.j

post-42592-0-59590300-1308586523_thumb.j

Unless you really need luxury; room service, swimming pool, pathetic excuse for a gym and a restaurant with bad, over-priced food, consider staying in a guest house. There are many large, clean, comfortable, secure and conveniently located guest house rooms that go for 500 baht and are superior to 1500 baht hotel rooms in Chiang Mai. Of course they may not have a restaurant or bar, which could require you to walk as much as 50 meters in search of food and drink.

How's The Montri at Thapae gate these days....value for money?

They are now called the M Hotel and someone claimed that the daily rate is now 4,000 baht per day (as opposed to the old under 1,000 baht rate), but that seems very hard to believe. :unsure:

I just looked at their website and 4,000 baht is their cheapest rate - during low season. AMAZING THAILAND! :o

The Royal Lanna right in the heart f the night bazaar. Around 1500 Baht with Buffet breakfast included.

Sorry I can't pretend to know what your price range is or what you are interested in so I won't give you advice I will just answer your question.

The Dongtawan is also there but more expensive. It has a good gym in it.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Chiang Mai. Just avoid the people who don't know you or what you are interested in but are willing to telll you where to go and what to avoid.

uptheos ... ug

re ... daily rate is now 4,000 baht per day (as opposed to the old under 1,000 baht rate), but that seems very hard to believe

low season rate at the montri 30 april 09 .. 799 baht

low season rate 21 june 11 ... 4000 baht ?

truly amazing thailand ; (

dave2

ps .. dont forget we have posh painted metal strips all across the front now ! ... thats the reason : )

post-42592-0-15381700-1308621802_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57732500-1308621897_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

The Down Town inn is good value at the moment . :D ( right next to the night bazaar )

I don't think he would want to stay at a place like The Down Town inn where people have died earlier this year.

I hear it is closed and also the web site :o

I don't think he would want to stay at a place like The Down Town inn where people have died earlier this year.

I hear it is closed and also the web site :o

I think you will find he was being ironic!

www.newmitrapap.com can get second floor with fan and good tv for 250 per night. Near worrowrat market and chinatown--walk to Spicy/Thapae Gate in about 12 minutes. No bugs very mixed crowd of business people/backpackers/thais/other farangs. A/c room is 350 ish with frig. No need to spend more than 500, anywhere in CNX.

Edited by Thighlander

Smith Residence South of Chiang Mai gate clean with what you need restrurant in lobby short walk to main road and you can catch a Red Taxi to night market for 20baht a person. The Saturday market is also 100 feet away and then the Sunday market is a fast red taxi ride or 15 min walk from chiang mai gate. Plenty of cafes and a good bar named the Doo-Dee owned by a coulple of Dutch guys and their Thai wives. This id avery friendly neighbor hood with few backpackers.

Smith has a website.Chiang mai is easy to get around Red Taxis are pickups they should only charge 20 baht a person for anywhere in Chiang mai but of course being Thailand they will on ocassion ask for more hold your ground or wait for another. Tut-tut are availiable for hire as well negotiate.

Red Taxis are pickups they should only charge 20 baht a person for anywhere in Chiang mai

This is over simplifying it - a lot. It very much depends on where you going and can be more depending on how far away it is or how easy it is to find another customer in the area after they drop you off.

Actually, the Night Bazaar is about the best area for a tourist to be based and in case you hadn't noticed, it's been cleaned up of late - cables in the ground etc. One could easily say any street in Thailand looks 'cruddy' by day. Doesn't matter that they may sell crap there (though you seem to have conveniently missed out the artwork, textiles, women's clothing, etc), but that aside, it's the atmosphere from a tourist's point of view. Also, close to river, Anusarn Market for seafood, moat, Loi Kroh for tarts, Thapae Gate, etc. You could stay in the Old Town and have a bit of quiet (if you're lucky) and be close to the best of the city's temples, but there's not much else.

This place (Maninarakorn on Sridonchai, west of market) isn't too bad and will do discounts:

exterior.gif

There's also the Raming Lodge on Loi Kroh Road, but a bit steep. The Empress, down Chang Khlan (south of market) is also ok.

I'd avoid the Gate (which is mediocre and in a boring area; Montri, or M, now a rip-off, no pool and can be noisy. Also avoid the Chiang Mai Plaza, stuffy management & staff.

Edited by jackr

Smith Residence South of Chiang Mai gate clean with what you need restrurant in lobby short walk to main road and you can catch a Red Taxi to night market for 20baht a person. The Saturday market is also 100 feet away and then the Sunday market is a fast red taxi ride or 15 min walk from chiang mai gate. Plenty of cafes and a good bar named the Doo-Dee owned by a coulple of Dutch guys and their Thai wives. This id avery friendly neighbor hood with few backpackers.

Smith has a website.Chiang mai is easy to get around Red Taxis are pickups they should only charge 20 baht a person for anywhere in Chiang mai but of course being Thailand they will on ocassion ask for more hold your ground or wait for another. Tut-tut are availiable for hire as well negotiate.

I like the area around the smith residency. The night market is every night and only a three minute walk away. For the night Bazaar you would probably need transportation as it is about a half hour away. A nice walk if you are into that sort of thing. I did it once on some of the back roads and got lost it was a enjoyable experience.

Galare is 5 mins walk from Night Bazaar yet a world away, on the banks of the Ping River. Also a short walk to Warorot Market. Usually USD25 but i think they have a promotion on now. Big rooms, attached bathroom, aircon/fan. Popular with NGO crowd so you won't get noisy revellers (if that matters to you)

http://www.galare.com/

On the other side of the bridge is Bussaba:

http://www.bussababedbreakfast.com/index.php/home-mainmenu-1.html

or Parami:

http://www.bussababedbreakfast.com/index.php/home-mainmenu-1.html

These two are cheaper than Galare but bit further to Night Bazaar. Still only 15 min walk.

Personally I prefer not to stay in inner city. I like these riverside places. A tuktuk ride can take me into the city if I want.

The Royal Lanna right in the heart f the night bazaar. Around 1500 Baht with Buffet breakfast included.

Sorry I can't pretend to know what your price range is or what you are interested in so I won't give you advice I will just answer your question.

The Dongtawan is also there but more expensive. It has a good gym in it.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Chiang Mai. Just avoid the people who don't know you or what you are interested in but are willing to telll you where to go and what to avoid.

The Royal Princess, which is nicer than both of those (IMO) is right in the heart of the Night Bizarre, if you're sure that's where you want to be. I've had many friends stay there, and as they're out most days the market never disturbs them, but it is right there, should there be something they'd like to buy.

Spent May in C'mai, Stayed at Suriwongse part of the time. Pretty good deal as they are being renovated. The rooms are new and very pleasant at the moment. No grand foyer, no swimming pool no F&B to speak off yet. Next to the Night Bizzare (pun intended).1100B from Asia Travel. Stayed at a B&B in the old city which will remain nameless. Just don't believe everything on TripAdvisor.