Attidude On Samui

Totally off topic .... but on the Crunchie theme ... I scavange the bottom shelf of the sweet aisles in Tesco on a regular basis and came across TofiLuk. A box for THB 18 of 3 packs of 2 fingers of chocolate/caramel/biscuit.

On a good day, in poor light, and with your eyes closed, you would swear they were little Twix bars!:D

Anything with chocolate on it and under THB 20 gets tried by me - I will let you know if I find the alternative Crunchie bars.

Anyway back to topic .....:unsure:

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to leave here my feedback of staying on Samui for 5 days.

I stay in Pattaya with my TG who is from Surat Thani. She has been moaning for quite some time that she wanted to go see her mom and other family. So I thought what the heck. Let's go to Samui first and then visit your relatives since neither of us had been there before. If only knew that it was such a ripoff.

Firstly I was surprised to find out that Bangkok Airways had monopoly on the flights to Samui with ridiculous 4000 baht for one person one way from Pattaya. But on the arrival I realized that the whole island is one huge corrupted monopoly. The taxi fare to my hotel which was 7 kilometers from the airport was 350 baht (at first they wanted 500 and were showing me the printed paper with prices but my girl spoke the local dialect to him and the guy said that for just 2 of us he could go 350 the lowest because the boss would cut his balls). There was no meter taxi at the airport only so called "private cars" with fixed prices. On the way my girl spoke to him and he told us that each taxi driver needs to pay 15.000 baht a month to some boss who oversees all the airport taxis. No other taxi companies are allowed so it's a monopoly and they can extort any prices they want because there is no other way to get out of there.

I doubt they could do it without the involvement of the local authorities. So I believe the corrupt Samui authorities do not allow any competition and get its share of profits. And you have similar stories all over the island. There is usually one single agent which operates some kind of activity and charges ridiculuous prices.

The prices of accomodation are high compared to the quality. We were paying about 2500 baht a night for hotel which appeared to be quite old and was way overpriced. The breakfast was shit too. For this money I could get a really nice hotel in Pattaya with nice food. The hotel we stayed in would cost maximum 1500 in Pattaya. The food is 1.5-2 times expensive than in Pattaya and is often crap.

The beach was nice though. But you can get the same beach anywhere in Surat Thani.

Don't get me wrong guys I am not some stingy cheap charlie guy. I never have an issue of paying for something if it is really worth it. I've lived in Thailand for almost a year and have been to many places and I know the real prices of things. And I hate it when people try to charge me 5 times the real price. It just pisses me off enormously and makes me angry. It's the same thai food in a same thai foodmart. It's the same beer, the same bar as everywhere else in Thailand. WHy the heck are the prices 2-3 times higher? Is it any better quality or it's cleaner, safer than anywhere else in Thailand? No. The answer is greed of the owners. I speak fairly good Thai and I spoke to the staff at the hotels and restaraunts. Most of them are from Isan and they earn the same 7-10k baht (a bit higher than in Isan but still shit... and 10k is for the receptionists who have university education). So the owners gets all the excess profit. Call it "Samui rent".

Another thing the place is so overdeveloped and dirty. It's even worse than Ko Chang.

I guess I wouldn't write it if it was my first time in Thailand and I came directly from Europe say in winter. But I am already used to the tropical scenery and the climate which are the same everywhere in Thailand. And I know how much everything is worth in Thailand too. So I hate it when I put myself into tourist traps (which is the whole of Samui).

I think I will never go to Samui again and will not advise my friends to go there. It's just another massive ripoff (together with Phuket) where they charge you European prices for shit. I am sure that people who stay in Samui long term know how to avoid paying tourist surcharge (as well as I know how to avoid it in Pattaya) but it seems like it's very difficult here.

There are still nice places in Thailand like islands in Andaman near Burma with very laid back atmosphere without the ripoff mentality. And these are the locations where they Thais go too. And notice how there are almost no Thai tourists in Samui. They know it's shit for farangs first comers.

I stay in Pattaya with my TG who is from Surat Thani. She has been moaning for quite some time that she wanted to go see her mom and other family. So I thought what the heck. Let's go to Samui first and then visit your relatives since neither of us had been there before. If only knew that it was such a ripoff.

Firstly I was surprised to find out that Bangkok Airways had monopoly on the flights to Samui with ridiculous 4000 baht for one person one way from Pattaya. But on the arrival I realized that the whole island is one huge corrupted monopoly. The taxi fare to my hotel which was 7 kilometers from the airport was 350 baht (at first they wanted 500 and were showing me the printed paper with prices but my girl spoke the local dialect to him and the guy said that for just 2 of us he could go 350 the lowest because the boss would cut his balls). There was no meter taxi at the airport only so called "private cars" with fixed prices. On the way my girl spoke to him and he told us that each taxi driver needs to pay 15.000 baht a month to some boss who oversees all the airport taxis. No other taxi companies are allowed so it's a monopoly and they can extort any prices they want because there is no other way to get out of there.

I doubt they could do it without the involvement of the local authorities. So I believe the corrupt Samui authorities do not allow any competition and get its share of profits. And you have similar stories all over the island. There is usually one single agent which operates some kind of activity and charges ridiculuous prices.

The prices of accomodation are high compared to the quality. We were paying about 2500 baht a night for hotel which appeared to be quite old and was way overpriced. The breakfast was shit too. For this money I could get a really nice hotel in Pattaya with nice food. The hotel we stayed in would cost maximum 1500 in Pattaya. The food is 1.5-2 times expensive than in Pattaya and is often crap.

The beach was nice though. But you can get the same beach anywhere in Surat Thani.

Don't get me wrong guys I am not some stingy cheap charlie guy. I never have an issue of paying for something if it is really worth it. I've lived in Thailand for almost a year and have been to many places and I know the real prices of things. And I hate it when people try to charge me 5 times the real price. It just pisses me off enormously and makes me angry. It's the same thai food in a same thai foodmart. It's the same beer, the same bar as everywhere else in Thailand. WHy the heck are the prices 2-3 times higher? Is it any better quality or it's cleaner, safer than anywhere else in Thailand? No. The answer is greed of the owners. I speak fairly good Thai and I spoke to the staff at the hotels and restaraunts. Most of them are from Isan and they earn the same 7-10k baht (a bit higher than in Isan but still shit... and 10k is for the receptionists who have university education). So the owners gets all the excess profit. Call it "Samui rent".

Another thing the place is so overdeveloped and dirty. It's even worse than Ko Chang.

I guess I wouldn't write it if it was my first time in Thailand and I came directly from Europe say in winter. But I am already used to the tropical scenery and the climate which are the same everywhere in Thailand. And I know how much everything is worth in Thailand too. So I hate it when I put myself into tourist traps (which is the whole of Samui).

I think I will never go to Samui again and will not advise my friends to go there. It's just another massive ripoff (together with Phuket) where they charge you European prices for shit. I am sure that people who stay in Samui long term know how to avoid paying tourist surcharge (as well as I know how to avoid it in Pattaya) but it seems like it's very difficult here.

There are still nice places in Thailand like islands in Andaman near Burma with very laid back atmosphere without the ripoff mentality. And these are the locations where they Thais go too. And notice how there are almost no Thai tourists in Samui. They know it's shit for farangs first comers.

I don't suppose many of us residents in Samui enjoy the extra expense too much either, but I suppose it's the price we have to pay for not living in a wonderful place like Pattaya !

Edited by concerned

I don't suppose many of us residents in Samui enjoy the extra expense too much either, but I suppose it's the price we have to pay for not living in a wonderful place like Pattaya !

:thumbsup:

The comments by vermut12 are entirely valid, irrespective of his base for comparison. He is a first time visitor to this island, and based upon his experience, he will not be coming again. Unless we can find a replacement for him, and for the others saying pretty much the same thing, then numbers will continue to decline.

There is a lot of talk about the high end tourists replacing the back-packers. I don't see them. Maybe they come here and stay in the luxury hotels and private villas, but they don't seem to venture out far during the day. This wealth seems to do very little for the basic infrastructure here - electricity, water, roads, law and order. It just goes to a private enterprise like Bangkok Airways, or some other company that has no intention - and no mandate - to reinvest any back into the island.

I love Samui. I don't work here. But there is, fast approaching, the time when I might not be able to afford to live here any longer. Add to that the inferior services, and the closing bars and restaurants, and there might come a time when I wouldn't want to live here anyway!

So yes, there is a price to pay to live on this beautiful island. But just how much is fair, or justified? Or worth it?

Pattaya was always an exceptional cheap international destination. Not too long ago a hotel room for 1.500 costed 800. But you can hardly compare it to Samui.

The vast majority of the tourists on Samui come mainly for a comfortable beach life. This are package tourists, mostly couples and families, who would never consider to holiday in Pattaya...

They enjoy the enormous variety of restaurants in all price ranges, but would never, not even once, go to bars. They sleep early, rise early, make excursions, which are at least half price like e.g. in the Dom Rep or Egypt, enjoy a cheap massage, take a look around or stay at the beach/pool the whole day.

They pay everthing at home at the travel agent, who gives them much cheaper prices and they have to do nothing at all but to be picked up everywhere. They don't know about vermout's complains, they feel great, many come back and tell others about their easy and beautiful days on Samui.

That's how it is. People like vermount are wrong, because he did not realize where he is going to and could not handle the situation.

Bangkok Airwas too expensive? Come with Air Asia, Nok Air or take the train.

Taxi too expensive? take the airport shuttle for 120 and everywhere else local taxis for 30-100

Room and breakfast not good enough? Take a cheaper hotel without breakfast and enjoy whatever in some of the restaurants around the corner....

Pattaya was always an exceptional cheap international destination. Not too long ago a hotel room for 1.500 costed 800. But you can hardly compare it to Samui.

The vast majority of the tourists on Samui come mainly for a comfortable beach life. This are package tourists, mostly couples and families, who would never consider to holiday in Pattaya...

They enjoy the enormous variety of restaurants in all price ranges, but would never, not even once, go to bars. They sleep early, rise early, make excursions, which are at least half price like e.g. in the Dom Rep or Egypt, enjoy a cheap massage, take a look around or stay at the beach/pool the whole day.

They pay everthing at home at the travel agent, who gives them much cheaper prices and they have to do nothing at all but to be picked up everywhere. They don't know about vermout's complains, they feel great, many come back and tell others about their easy and beautiful days on Samui.

That's how it is. People like vermount are wrong, because he did not realize where he is going to and could not handle the situation.

Taxi too expensive? take the airport shuttle for 120 and everywhere else local taxis for 30-100

Room and breakfast not good enough? Take a cheaper hotel without breakfast and enjoy whatever in some of the restaurants around the corner....

will we our going to samui for the beaches, Pattaya is far to seedy for us,and to much in your face mind saying that if its to pricey to stay we will have to move on,so fingers crossed. first time i have seen that local taxis for 30-100?

Edited by doingok

will we our going to samui for the beaches, Pattaya is far to seedy for us,and to much in your face mind saying that if its to pricey to stay we will have to move on,so fingers crossed. first time i have seen that local taxis for 30-100?

Just flag down a Songteaw = Local taxi.

pattaya-taxi_songthaew.jpg

Just flag down a Songteaw = Local taxi.

pattaya-taxi_songthaew.jpg

they are a set fare to have to find out what the set fare are thanks poorsuck

The comments by vermut12 are entirely valid, irrespective of his base for comparison. He is a first time visitor to this island, and based upon his experience, he will not be coming again. Unless we can find a replacement for him, and for the others saying pretty much the same thing, then numbers will continue to decline.

There is a lot of talk about the high end tourists replacing the back-packers. I don't see them. Maybe they come here and stay in the luxury hotels and private villas, but they don't seem to venture out far during the day. This wealth seems to do very little for the basic infrastructure here - electricity, water, roads, law and order. It just goes to a private enterprise like Bangkok Airways, or some other company that has no intention - and no mandate - to reinvest any back into the island.

I love Samui. I don't work here. But there is, fast approaching, the time when I might not be able to afford to live here any longer. Add to that the inferior services, and the closing bars and restaurants, and there might come a time when I wouldn't want to live here anyway!

So yes, there is a price to pay to live on this beautiful island. But just how much is fair, or justified? Or worth it?

I love Samui. I love Thailand and I love the majority of Thai people. I don't work here now, I just holiday in Thailand regularly and that's probably why it works for me. I have nothing invested in Samui or Thailand no house, Wife, or children etc.

After 2 months I am generally ready to go home, however, I know I'll be back again, 12 visits so far, Thailand has strange "party" appeal/allure a bit like Disneyland but I also wouldn't want to stay there for too long either, once the novelty has worked its way through me its time to leave the party.

To quote the previous poster who has identified an interesting point

(There is a lot of talk about the high end tourists replacing the back-packers. I don't see them. Maybe they come here and stay in the luxury hotels and private villas, but they don't seem to venture out far during the day.)

Is there a high end tourist market on Samui? I've always considered Samui a kinda "cheap and cheerful" destination its' not expensive if your careful, it can't be I go there!

i agree 100% with MISTER CONCERNED

richard samui

richard samui

maybe we need to be a bit south on the island just want a nice beach and a swim in the sea not cheap but nice local food so maybe south of lamui?

richard samui

maybe we need to be a bit south on the island just want a nice beach and a swim in the sea not cheap but nice local food so maybe south of lamui?

not related to BigC are we?

Is there a high end tourist market on Samui? I've always considered Samui a kinda "cheap and cheerful" destination its' not expensive if your careful, it can't be I go there!

We must move in different circles! Samui is definately one of the most expensive places in Thailand from what I can tell. Yes, if you are careful you can cut costs, but at the end of the day, it is an island which will always increases prices.

As for high end tourists, well the place is full of luxury villas and hotels, with new places like Conrad coming on line to back up the likes of 6 Senses etc. And then there is the hot air from the other thread all about a $400m investment in a ski slope of all things!

Samui is more expensive than many places; many of us accept that because of what else it has to offer.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif no i do not even know the guy,he just comments on here must be a cool guy? lol why have you said that ?

because you are the only to members here who called Lamai - Lamui :rolleyes:

lol lamai lol i know what i meant is he have dyslexia to ? lol s

samui is always going to be expensive because it is an island and they do not make any more land. the prices can only go up.

Exepenses. everything starts from the land up. land expensive. rent expensive. charge to customers. cost of living expensive. Taxis and local thais have to charge more to cover the cost of living.

yes some people will take the piss more than others but as a whole pattaya backs on to the rest of thailand. Pattaya can grow and grow and grow.

Similar to phuket. Phuket is harldy an island u could cross over the bridge and shut your eyes for about 1 30 seconds and u wouldn't even know u have crossed into an island.

Some people get stressed when money starts to die out. if that is the case. they u have to budget differernlty but there is a reason why peopl still pay these price and stay here for months on end. its becasue as much as it ain't perfect. that is what makes it perfect.

nothing more interesting than trying to work out something that is un understandable. like my spelling.

adios :thumbsup:

samui is always going to be expensive because it is an island and they do not make any more land. the prices can only go up.

Exepenses. everything starts from the land up. land expensive. rent expensive. charge to customers. cost of living expensive. Taxis and local thais have to charge more to cover the cost of living.

yes some people will take the piss more than others but as a whole pattaya backs on to the rest of thailand. Pattaya can grow and grow and grow.

Similar to phuket. Phuket is harldy an island u could cross over the bridge and shut your eyes for about 1 30 seconds and u wouldn't even know u have crossed into an island.

Some people get stressed when money starts to die out. if that is the case. they u have to budget differernlty but there is a reason why peopl still pay these price and stay here for months on end. its becasue as much as it ain't perfect. that is what makes it perfect.

nothing more interesting than trying to work out something that is un understandable. like my spelling.

adios :thumbsup:

haha muchas gracias senor BigC i agree an island is always more expensive but there is a fair price and a rip off price i stayed on an island in Spain called Tenerife and things were a little cheaper due to tax and stuff but all in all there isn't a big price difference,not like it sounds on samui.

Having first come to Samui in 1996 when it was still a tropical paradise, it was always going to be the next place in Thailand to fall into the trap of "money, money, money oh and money".

Anyone who didn't think this, was, probably high on the now infamous shrooms we have here. Samui like any other tropical island with potential was going to turn into a money making machine for then, one of the poorest districts of Thailand. It's abundance of cocunut trees, sandy beaches and friendly local Thai people, has indeed, attracted many a western investor. Like all farangs, we saw an opportunity to infiltrate the place and turn it into the tourist's tropical dream. It's central worldwide location was it's key feature and the possibility for farangs to make big money was there for all to see.

15 years on and hey ho what do we find now, an island like many say with no apparent infrastructure, a police force that concentrates more on pulling up people for no helmets and lining their month end pockets than attending a nasty accident where there is a fatality and greedy Thai's that would rather rip tourists off than actually want to provide a great experience for people.

Why do we stay here? Because life is always full of ups and downs and most of us want to see the place thrive again. Added to the fact that farangs placed all their life's savings into their life over here. Human beings have a bilt in desire to succeed and personally I will continue to live and work here because I enjoy life's simple pleasures, something that you can still experience here wherever you lay your hat.

I for one, hope that most farangs here persist in their drive to be successful and if you can put aside all the woe is me attitude then there is most definitely a chance that Samui can be once again a truly tropical paradise where we all share the joy it can bring!!!

i can only as a tourist go on what i have read as i have not been to koh samui yet (21st September for 6 months)though i have looked up on a lot of sites for research,and all i am reading is how much more expensive it is than phuket and so on.

The last thing as a tourist is to hear that the rip off this and rip of that ,and not just on here on must website's and local and tourists a like, so some thing must be wrong on this island oh all these people cannot be wrong can they? as i do not work or live here i well be spending hard earned cash and the last thing i want to happen is to hear that i am going to be ripped off by taxi drivers,buying cloths,shopping and the cost of living is higher here so no wonder people think twice about coming or just a passing through.just been told on TripAdvisor that i will have to add 100-200baht for items here to what i have payed in phuket, to me that's an extra £2-£4 that's per item wow to that.anyway now we have a plan B if its all true which i am hoping its not as bad as it sounds.and i am sure i will let you all know what think after a have been there a couple of days.you guys have been a great help so BIG THIANKS

i can only as a tourist go on what i have read as i have not been to koh samui yet (21st September for 6 months)though i have looked up on a lot of sites for research,and all i am reading is how much more expensive it is than phuket and so on.

The last thing as a tourist is to hear that the rip off this and rip of that ,and not just on here on must website's and local and tourists a like, so some thing must be wrong on this island oh all these people cannot be wrong can they? as i do not work or live here i well be spending hard earned cash and the last thing i want to happen is to hear that i am going to be ripped off by taxi drivers,buying cloths,shopping and the cost of living is higher here so no wonder people think twice about coming or just a passing through.just been told on TripAdvisor that i will have to add 100-200baht for items here to what i have payed in phuket, to me that's an extra £2-£4 that's per item wow to that.anyway now we have a plan B if its all true which i am hoping its not as bad as it sounds.and i am sure i will let you all know what think after a have been there a couple of days.you guys have been a great help so BIG THIANKS

You are worrying too much and listening to too many people. You are doing almost too much research if you know what I mean.

Just "come on over! I'm sure you'll like it.

Go on any forum for anywhere in the World and you will find a load of moaning gits.

Cheers.

You are worrying too much and listening to too many people. You are doing almost too much research if you know what I mean.

Just "come on over! I'm sure you'll like it.

Go on any forum for anywhere in the World and you will find a load of moaning gits.

Cheers.

do you know sum thing nod i think you are so right,but you have to do some homework

most of the 80s and 90s farangs are gone.

Some are still here, because they assimilated personally to the development or got wealthy or are stuck at this place or have lost the energy of their youth to look for another 80s Samui in the world.