Attidude On Samui

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, in defence to it seems "many" other places in Thailand, the two tier pricing does seem particularily popular here. :rolleyes: I cant remember it happening to me anywhere else actually. Its almost like a matter of pride here to make us pay more. Charming i know. So delightfully xenophobic. :huh:

Isn't it about time the "if you don't like it why don't you leave" brigade start posting or are their heads still uried in the sand. :D

SamuiNige already gave us realists all a bunch of yellow cards carmine. ohmy.gif

He seems to have stopped short of buying us one way flights off the island. Perhaps he can't afford it? laugh.gif

:D Never did i think the day would arrive where Pattaya reflects very favourably against Samui :whistling: Ooops, that is ofcourse if the rose tinted spectacle wearers can get it into their heads that Pattaya really isn't just about walking street! :rolleyes: Mind you the beach is crap.

They'll be back soon to order you off their beautiful island....I hope your bags are packed!.......see you in the Pig and Whistle. laugh.gif

Well since i will be coming with my wife i am not interested in bar girls,we like to go out but not every night as 6 month's drinking would kill us.A nice beach and close to one would be a must thou depend's on price. so being in a tourist area is not a must to as long as we have a ok place to stay a beach and cheap shop's and so forth around us then we will be happy, the island is not big so a bike rental is a must once there a have a good look around including all of the above cheers guys.

Edited by doingok

Well since i will be coming with my wife i am not interested in bar girls,we like to go out but not every night as 6 month's drinking would kill us.A nice beach and close to one would be a must thou depend's on price. so being in a tourist area is not a must to as long as we have a ok place to stay a beach and cheap shop's and so forth around us then we will be happy, the island is not big so a bike rental is a must once there a have a good look around including all of the above cheers guys.

Definitely look at Choengmon.

great beach - not too many hawkers and no rocks in the sea except at the ends.

Good hotels - all prices. Same with bars and restaurants. Lots of choice. If you are here for two weeks then you can eat in a different place every a day and you would not have tried them all! No 'hostess' bars.

Quite a few shops and a bank for changing money at a legal rate. Also genuine massage and a few hairdresser shops. Everything that you want really. Big enough to be interesting and small enough to be friendly. (My favourite beach on Samui.)

There are a number of car hire/bike hire places. If you want details of an honest one -pm me me and I will give you name and number. (He also does airport pick up - but same price as all taxis)

well there you have it in a nut shell, from following this thread it seems to me that most of the complaints fall into two areas the price of beer and thai airways. There is much more to samui than beer bars, taxies and thai airways. take your wife to the 4 seasons and use the beach there it is free beautiful and you dont have to stay there to use it. rent a 4x4 and go off road, fill a cooler with some drinks and have a great photo day, stay in a low budget resort and spend the day at a 5 star, with the savings you can eat some great food, going on the cheap does not make a place good, i have been to cha am, inmo it is a dump same for the beach in hua hin, phucket is a pain to get around even if i am driving myself and it is not cheap, if you want 29 baht beer go to 7/11 if you want to be on holiday expect to pay more and have a good time, samui is a holiday island. i went to disney land and paid 5 dollars for a bottle of water does that make disneyland a rip off? i can buy a delicious tum yum off the lake road for 30 baht, when i had hair i went to a salon rather than a local, i also go to the movies and bowling alley dont know how much i pay and dont care.

I've travelled to many of the Islands and beach resorts on the mainland and although bkk air is ridiculously high, when I've done cost comparisons for accomodation+flight or accomodation plus taxi to other destinations, I find Samui has a good range of hotels which are cheaper for the same sort of facilities compared to other islands (especially Koh Chang which is the ultimate rip off for accomodation and flight) so overall it doesn't fare to badly when both are taken into account. It's bonus for me is there are many quiet beaches to go to which suit me and makes for a relaxed holiday. My only concern now is international flights for next year have increased 18% from my departure point which is a real pain for families and may make them reconsider rebooking or coming....

:D

I've travelled to many of the Islands and beach resorts on the mainland and although bkk air is ridiculously high, when I've done cost comparisons for accomodation+flight or accomodation plus taxi to other destinations, I find Samui has a good range of hotels which are cheaper for the same sort of facilities compared to other islands (especially Koh Chang which is the ultimate rip off for accomodation and flight) so overall it doesn't fare to badly when both are taken into account. It's bonus for me is there are many quiet beaches to go to which suit me and makes for a relaxed holiday. My only concern now is international flights for next year have increased 18% from my departure point which is a real pain for families and may make them reconsider rebooking or coming....

in a word what makes or brake samui is Bangkok airwys. well that is 2 words. There again if i had a manolply and the govement did nothing about it then why stop. infact there are allot more sharks out there even back in the u.k that would do the same thing if they could but there the laws stop it. so when in Rome make the best out of a bad situation.

It is unfortunalte because if people stopped using them then they would put their prices down. if they put their prices down people would come. then they put their prices up again. people can not book long term holidays with unstable pricing in that case.

for example they put the prices down for 1 month. just randomly. then people book a hotel in samui. then when they get here 3 month later prices are back to 10 k 1 way. i know that they should book their planes when they book the house but people know that things are not always straight forward.

i do have another way out of this expensive life style. next week win the lottery

Edited by BigC

I must admit, in defence to it seems "many" other places in Thailand, the two tier pricing does seem particularily popular here. :rolleyes: I cant remember it happening to me anywhere else actually. Its almost like a matter of pride here to make us pay more. Charming i know. So delightfully xenophobic. :huh:

Isn't it about time the "if you don't like it why don't you leave" brigade start posting or are their heads still uried in the sand. :D

SamuiNige already gave us realists all a bunch of yellow cards carmine. ohmy.gif

He seems to have stopped short of buying us one way flights off the island. Perhaps he can't afford it? laugh.gif

I don't want you guys to leave, I want you to stay and suffer smile.gif

Seriously everybody has a right to their own opinion and I understand people's frustration, besides Nalak, the needle seems to get repeatedly stuck on the same happy record.

Many of the issues people are not happy about are not exclusive to Samui or Thailand, I found exactly the same and more in other places I have lived as an expat. Corruption, bribery, two-tiered pricing, being ripped off for being a westerner and having zero rights if a local doesn't like me and wants to do something about it, even paying cheaper prices to fly 6 hours to BKK than 1 hour internal, part of being an alien in some cultures.

That said people have a right to say something about this stuff, but I just don't think we should be putting people off bringing their family for a holiday.

There are plenty of reason's not to bring a family for holiday. 1. Safety and road condition's some people go home in bandage's. 2. Transportation cost's 3. Double pricing just check Samui shooting range they will tell you straight 1 price for Thai and 1 for foreigner just an example. 4. Rubbish and sewerage being released into the surrounds could have an effect on peoples health. 5. Overuse of chemicals to keep meat and vegetables fresh. That's a start please feel free to add to the list.

There are plenty of reason's not to bring a family for holiday. 1. Safety and road condition's some people go home in bandage's. 2. Transportation cost's 3. Double pricing just check Samui shooting range they will tell you straight 1 price for Thai and 1 for foreigner just an example. 4. Rubbish and sewerage being released into the surrounds could have an effect on peoples health. 5. Overuse of chemicals to keep meat and vegetables fresh. That's a start please feel free to add to the list.

John

These above issues are not just Samui problems. They are the same in most tourist areas of South East Asia.

The people going home in bandages is the fault of the people - not Samui per say. Most of them have no motorbike license - a lot have never ridden a bike before. How is this Samui's fault? Some tourists leave their brains on the plane when they get here. Would you ride around on a motorbike in your own country with no shirt, shoes, helmet or license? Yet many tourists do this here. You cannot blame Samui. :mellow:

I did say safety and road condition's this is Samui not discussing other location's. This is a reason not to bring a family and put them on a bike. If some potential tourist read's these post's they might take note.

I did say safety and road condition's this is Samui not discussing other location's. This is a reason not to bring a family and put them on a bike. If some potential tourist read's these post's they might take note.

i was in Bali last year same thing there to, rubbish smell was very Bad so its not just samui and Tropicalevo you right people do not us common sense on holiday not just in samui all over the world more so in spain, grease,turkey, and the roads are fine there its the rider that fault 9 out of 10 time as many will not know how to ride i bike like Tropicalevo says and even when they are drink,i am sure samui is not different to anyway else. really bad putting people of coming is wrong and bangkok airways is doing a good job by it self. but all this negativity will put a lot of people coming and the local's are the one's who will suffer,no matter where you go in the world use common sense for safety. Double pricing it wrong and i would not pay it end of as i do not like it,we are not meal ticket's and some off us work hard 50 weeks of the year to go on hoilday and then to be ripped off is not on,something should be do about that,i am not going shooting then if that's what there do.but then bangkok airways is pricing is i think for tourist to so like the local if they get away with they will just keep doing it, just try not to use they service and hit them in the pocket.

Edited by doingok

John

These above issues are not just Samui problems. They are the same in most tourist areas of South East Asia.

The people going home in bandages is the fault of the people - not Samui per say. Most of them have no motorbike license - a lot have never ridden a bike before. How is this Samui's fault? Some tourists leave their brains on the plane when they get here. Would you ride around on a motorbike in your own country with no shirt, shoes, helmet or license? Yet many tourists do this here. You cannot blame Samui. :mellow:

ha ha funny thing is my misses has driven a bike all her life and could barely drive an automatic car.

she finally decided to do both tests. she passed the driving and failed the bike. ironic i think might be the word lol.

John

ha ha funny thing is my misses has driven a bike all her life and could barely drive an automatic car.

she finally decided to do both tests. she passed the driving and failed the bike. ironic i think might be the word lol.

"Dahling you'll have to buy me a new car...." a sucker born every minute.....rolleyes.gif

John

"Dahling you'll have to buy me a new car...." a sucker born every minute.....rolleyes.gif

:cheesy: - made me larf!

Back to the two tier pricing. It's almost policy at any National Park and most other 'government' tourist attractions. We came across it when we lived in Hui Hin.

Still loads of places on Samui that just want honest business. A friend and I stopped at a small Thai eating establishment yesterday. Laab, green curry, two plates rice and two large beers - 230 baht. Huge portions - struggled to finish the meal. We had never been there before, but we will be going back. It's just outside Choengmon on the road to Chewang - and we did not take photos of the meal before anyone asks.

Back to the two tier pricing. It's almost policy at any National Park and most other 'government' tourist attractions. We came across it when we lived in Hui Hin.
Still loads of places on Samui that just want honest business. A friend and I stopped at a small Thai eating establishment yesterday. Laab, green curry, two plates rice and two large beers - 230 baht. Huge portions - struggled to finish the meal. We had never been there before, but we will be going back. It's just outside Choengmon on the road to Chewang - and we did not take photos of the meal before anyone asks.

First good news i have heard on here since i joined and about a month are so keep up the good work lolcheesy.gifcheesy.gifdrunk.gif

Edited by Rooo
quotes

First good news i have heard on here since i joined and about a month are so keep up the good work lolcheesy.gifcheesy.gifdrunk.gif

islands are expensive anywhere in the world

islands are expensive anywhere in the world

Bali isn't that bad and Tenerife is cheaper then main land Spain by a canny bit so not all island are expensive,but saying that Seychelles and Maldives are very expensive but that's cause they only people with a lot of money can effort to go there so that's why maybe its the same in samui,only people with a lot of money go to samui so the price's are higher then the rest of Thailand?

Edited by doingok

Bali isn't that bad and Tenerife is cheaper then main land Spain by a canny bit so not all island are expensive,but saying that Seychelles and Maldives are very expensive but that's cause they only people with a lot of money can effort to go there so that's why maybe its the same in samui,only people with a lot of money go to samui so the price's are higher then the rest of Thailand?

The prices where I shop are the same in all Thailand.

Tesco, BigC, Makro.

Tesco, BigC, Makro.

Hahahah is that BigC new name tesco lol nowt wrong with tesco's

Tesco, BigC, Makro.

Hahahah is that BigC new name tesco lol nowt wrong with tesco's

if i really did own big c then everything would be free and there would be still no one in there lol

Low season huh? my house has been booked 70 percent since December.

The economy of Samui is not based on the occupancy of your house to be fair. I think business here right now is ok but certainly not spectacular

house booked 70% and you base that on the economy of the island,, not a very good guide to how things are, world wide problem not just Samui but 1 house i Samui is hardly a good scale to work on.

Edited by NALAK

• 3 weeks later...

Having just spent the best part of three weeks, traveling around Malaysia, I was somewhat astounded to how busy the "tourist" places were...Penang, Cameron Highlands, Malaka, etc, tourist buses full, hotels full and some times hard to find a vacancy...., and on week-ends jack up prices by 10 to 20%...:o Granted that Malays and Singaporians have more "disposable income" to have a get away, but there where many "white faces" there too... They are just a friendly and hospitable there too... always a nice smile where and welcome where ever one went.

Goes to show, that bars type places are not on many peoples travel agenda, which seems to be the "attitude here", for some... . I saw only one bar and that was in Malaka, (empty!..... not that I was looking for them) Surprisingly the choices of beers and wine was better there, in the shops. Imported foods, a much better choice and not so expensive on the whole. Somethings more some less... but we live on an Island and with a relatively small market, we cannot expect to find everything, here. A case of adjusting, which not so hard, in my opinion.... still a nice place to live, but like anywhere, good to get away from for a while too!

John

that is exaclty what i did, bought her a brand new fortuner and bought it in my name. so should she every piss me off. i shall ust report stolen. Play em at their own game lol. by the way everything i just wrote was a lie. for real she just uses my car but only when i i want her to go get some shopping or pick me up a pizza. infact i ust make her a new list of things to do and give it to her her birthday lol

Having just spent the best part of three weeks, traveling around Malaysia, I was somewhat astounded to how busy the "tourist" places were...Penang, Cameron Highlands, Malaka, etc, tourist buses full, hotels full and some times hard to find a vacancy...., and on week-ends jack up prices by 10 to 20%...:o Granted that Malays and Singaporians have more "disposable income" to have a get away, but there where many "white faces" there too... They are just a friendly and hospitable there too... always a nice smile where and welcome where ever one went.

Goes to show, that bars type places are not on many peoples travel agenda, which seems to be the "attitude here", for some... . I saw only one bar and that was in Malaka, (empty!..... not that I was looking for them) Surprisingly the choices of beers and wine was better there, in the shops. Imported foods, a much better choice and not so expensive on the whole. Somethings more some less... but we live on an Island and with a relatively small market, we cannot expect to find everything, here. A case of adjusting, which not so hard, in my opinion.... still a nice place to live, but like anywhere, good to get away from for a while too!

and the women what r they like. are they as friendly as the Thai birds? ;)

house booked 70% and you base that on the economy of the island,, not a very good guide to how things are, world wide problem not just Samui but 1 house i Samui is hardly a good scale to work on.

70 % houses are booked ??? is that in low season ? that ain't bad if that is what u r saying

and the women what r they like. are they as friendly as the Thai birds? ;)

oh there were woman down there? :o ..... So busy looking for Crunchies for you...... I did not notice.... :D