• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 26

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

2. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

3. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

4. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

6. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

7. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

8. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

9. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

10. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

11. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

12. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

13. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

Import Duty To Thailand

I am having a notebook computer shipped to me in Thailand after mine was stolen here, I am wondering if there is a possiblity i could get stung for import duty when it arrives and what is the best way to alleviate this happening, eg low value on paperwork when it is sent. Does anyone have any experience of these matters, Thanks

I expect you will get several replies from people who got stung and who didn't. I will tell you a real life example which happened to me over the last 6 weeks or so.

Ordered 12 boxes of Loreal Hair Color off Ebay for the wife (a particular brand of Loreal you can't get in Thailand). Got a real good price and even with international shipping I was still getting it at about the same price as if I walked into a Walmart in the States and bought it, which would have been approx $8 per box. But excluding shipping cost, the basic product cost for 12 boxes was around $48. The Ebay seller put on the customs slip each box was worth $1, for a total of $12. Thai Customs ignored this customs value, place a value of 3000 baht (approx 100USD) on the shipment and then charged a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT plus another small fee. Anyway, this customs charge added up to 1192 baht or about 39.7% of the 3000 baht value they placed on the shipment. I had to go to the local post office to pay this and pick up the box. Customs included a note with the shipping documents that said cosmetics/beauty products, vitamins, and a few other things are not suppose to be shipped into Thailand without prior approval from customs; if shipped they could be confiscated. However, they didn't confiscate this shipment. The Thai wife even called the Customs Dept number on the slip and they said you can ship small quantities of what would be consider a month's worth of personal use....now who would be doing that considering the shipping costs unless you order a larger quantity.

Anyway, a few weeks later I ordered 3 jumbo bottles of some brand name multivitamins off Ebay for about $33 which happens to be around 1000 baht. Same vitamins we had been taking for years...and as most of you know vitamins in Thailand are way over priced and the selection is much smaller....Thai's are still more into Chinese herbs and many don't take vitamins. Anyway, the vitamins arrived with the customs slip clearly identifying them as vitamins, a value of $33 (approx 1000 baht), and I only had to pay the motorcyle postman 7 (seven) baht....so, I'm assuming this was a post office delivery charge or probably a custom charge where the shipment had been valued at 100 baht, no import duty applied, but the 7% VAT was applied. So, much for the customs warning about shipping vitamins.

"When" customs hits you with a customs charge I've read in other posts and from my personal experience as described above it seems the catch-all import duty of 30% plus the 7% VAT is applied...and Thai customs may accept the declared value or apply their own value. But I have also read posts where people have ordered something like a laptop, paid an expected customs charge to the seller/shipper, and then it was received with no additional customs charges. All I can say is what I have personally experienced. Good luck.

If Thai customs feel the item is used versus brand new it may reduce the customs charge, and how it's shipped in may make a difference. It it comes as part of a household shipment and depending on your visa status you might get away with no customs charge. But when coming in through the postal/FedEx/UPS/DHL/etc type system it just another item being imported into Thailand whether it is used and looks beat up, used but kept in prime condition, or truly brand new. IMHO, it's more luck of the draw, but generally Thai customs does want to charge you/that is why they exist.

Here's the Thai Customs web site for your reading

http://www.customs.g...old#requirement

It also depends very much on how you had the item shipped. The poster talking about Loreal did no say. Was it Post Office, FedEx? If you use FedEx or UPS, plan on being screwed. I have had excellent luck using the Post Office (USPS to Thai Post) -- 100% no tax or duty, many shipments. If you have the item insured or otherwise treat it as something valuable, it is a red flag. If you are interested in how I do it, PM me with your phone number. I will not write about my methods online. Absolutely legal, but I don't want attention.

<br />I expect you will get several replies from people who got stung and who didn't.   I will tell you a real life example which happened to me over the last 6 weeks or so.   <br /><br />Ordered 12 boxes of Loreal Hair Color off Ebay for the wife (a particular brand of Loreal you can't get in Thailand).   Got a real good price and even with international shipping I was still getting it at about the same price as if I walked into a Walmart in the States and bought it, which would have been approx $8 per box.   But excluding shipping cost, the basic product cost for 12 boxes was around $48.   The Ebay seller put on the customs slip each box was worth $1, for a total of $12.    Thai Customs ignored this customs value, place a value of 3000 baht (approx 100USD) on the shipment and then charged a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT plus another small fee.  Anyway, this customs charge added up to 1192 baht or about 39.7% of the 3000 baht value they placed on the shipment.  I had to go to the local post office to pay this and pick up the box.  Customs included a note with the shipping documents that said cosmetics/beauty products, vitamins, and a few other things are not suppose to be shipped into Thailand without prior approval from customs; if shipped they could be confiscated.  However,  they didn't confiscate this shipment.   The Thai wife even called the Customs Dept number on the slip and they said you can ship small quantities of what would be consider a month's worth of personal use....now who would be doing that considering the shipping costs unless you order a larger quantity.<br /><br />Anyway, a few weeks later I ordered 3 jumbo bottles of some brand name multivitamins off Ebay for about $33 which happens to be around 1000 baht.  Same vitamins we had been taking for years...and as most of you know vitamins in Thailand are way over priced and the selection is much smaller....Thai's are still more into Chinese herbs and many don't take vitamins.   Anyway, the vitamins arrived with the customs slip clearly identifying them as vitamins, a value of $33 (approx 1000 baht), and I only had to pay the motorcyle postman 7 (seven) baht....so, I'm assuming this was a post office delivery charge or probably a custom charge where the shipment had been valued at 100 baht, no import duty applied, but the  7% VAT was applied.   So, much for the customs warning about shipping vitamins.<br /><br />"When" customs hits you with a customs charge I've read in other posts and from my personal experience as described above it seems the catch-all import duty of 30% plus the 7% VAT is applied...and Thai customs may accept the declared value or apply their own value.  But I have also read posts where people have ordered something like a laptop, paid an expected customs charge to the seller/shipper, and then it was received with no additional customs charges.    All I can say is what I have personally experienced.   Good luck.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

On the L'Oreal stuff, Customs did you a favour, as the real (as opposed to the made up rate) is typically 30% and it does need an import license. Cosmetic importers need to register their products and disclose ingredients. If this has not been done, the product cannot legally be imported, and it is for the importer to prove they have a license, not for Customs to search through the records of other Govt agencies to check.

As a general rule, courier = high charges and a pain for personal shipments as they can be held hostage by Customs. Post = much smaller chance of getting legged over. I recently ordered a big shipment from Amazon that came in 5 packages, only one was stopped at the Post Office by Customs, and the duty rate (30%) was correctly applied to DVDs, but the value assessed was lower than that stated on the shipping docs.

If it is posted, and properly identifed in the shipping docs on the outside of the packaging as a lap top under HS Tariff Code 8471 (0% duty rate) then you should only pay the 7% VAT on the cost plus freight and insurance.

It also depends very much on how you had the item shipped. The poster talking about Loreal did no say. Was it Post Office, FedEx? If you use FedEx or UPS, plan on being screwed. I have had excellent luck using the Post Office (USPS to Thai Post) -- 100% no tax or duty, many shipments. If you have the item insured or otherwise treat it as something valuable, it is a red flag. If you are interested in how I do it, PM me with your phone number. I will not write about my methods online. Absolutely legal, but I don't want attention.

Both the Loreal and vitamins shipments were to my Bangkok home address from the U.S. Postal System to the Thai Postal System/Office. As mentioned in my post, a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT charge was applied on the Loreal stuff, and only the 7% VAT applied on the vitamins. Customs did not accept the declared value on the Loreal stuff and applied a much higher value....the applied value was about what you would have paid retail in Walmart but significantly lower than if you could buy it in a Thai store. On the vitamins they didn't apply any import duty, apparently applied a much lower value than declared on the customs slip (about 1/10th of the Walmart price), and then just applied the 7% VAT.

• 3 weeks later...
It also depends very much on how you had the item shipped.

I am also starting to think about it.

Today I received a parcel from USA by DHL

Before I receive everything by EMS or USPS....

Awesome :( ! Dress for $ 185 was charged to duty at 60% (!)

I paid for it with all taxes 5000 baht ....

Фnd that looks like wrong to me ..

Because before that for Victoria Secrets and for goods from Ebay I was paying the maximum 30% ...

Maybe anyone can comment?

Edited by Abo Kor

Three months ago, a good friend in the UK sent me a 1 litre bottle of malt whisky as a birthday present using UPS. A girl from UPS Distribution in Bangkok called me to inform me that the package had arrived safely at Suvarnabhumi but, to satisfy customs clearance, they need a copy of my passport. UPS also want to know how many pieces and of what size, I thought that would have been obvious!

I was told that the Thai Customs have a number of fees that I must pay before they will release the consignment. They insist on being paid a"handling charge", import duty and a storage charge which she elaborated in an e-mail to me. The handling charge was not the same as the shipping or freight charge (as she called it) and that alone will be nearly 1,400 baht (about £30). The total import duty would have been as shown below

Having said all that. she told me that it will then take about three days to clear customs.

Essentially, the following duties and fees were to be paid before the release of the package. (Read out by the "helpful" girl at UPS based in the airport).....

1. Formal entry 1,284 baht
  2. Normal duty 1,609 baht
  3. Excise Duty 6,162 baht
  4. Interior Duty 616 baht
  5. Health Duty 215 baht cheesy.gif
  6. VAT 748 baht
  7. Storage 240 baht (3 days)
  8. Terminal Charges 192 baht
  9. Customs Fee 214 baht

Total: 11,280 baht (£235 to be paid by me/somebody before the consignement will be released!!!!

I called my friend and we had a good laugh........I told her to forget it but he said that I should have told her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine!!!

Edited by GamLing

It's a gamble "customs-wise" when shipping things to Thailand, especially if it comes in a box....but if it comes in a large envelope their seems to be less of a chance of customs being applied.