Which Second Hand Car Is Best To Buy In Thailaland?

Hello

I am looking for reliable second hand car in Thailand. I have read many posts regarding cars in Thailand and I am little confused to choose the best option.Some people suggest Volvo V-40 (european) is good but hard to find the parts at cheap price,have to import it from Europe.Someone suggest Nissan(Japanese) cars are better in Thailand . When I asked some Thai people they suggest Toyota only.As they told me for Japanese cars you can get parts easily and there are many workshops here which can fix the car at reasonable price.My priority is safety,average and easy maintainable.My budget is maximum 400k.I also want to know that what is the best way to check the second hand car before buying. There are agents who can help out or only way to check by yourself?

Looking for advice from experienced people..

Thanks in advance

Jolly

You have to tell what you want. Do you want a small family car, or do you want a midsize or larger Limousine or do you want a Sport car or do you want a Pick up Truck. There is not soe many choisce if you want a Toyota. Toyotas are generally very expeosive used cars. Some peaple like Toyotas some not. In my opinion Toyotas are save, good cars, but high prices and very boring. BMW would be my choice. A 1997 nice 525 is much more fun than a 4 banger Toyota. But if u use the car just as a tool for driving from A to B, to bring the kids to the school for example than Toyota would be a smarter Choice. Of corse, Somchai in his Coconut Garage will not beable to repair a 525i. But he will also not beable to repair a 2010 Toyota Camry. Electronic it's all about. Newer used cars can not be repaired anymore without a OBD 2 Scanner. You have to ask your self. Do you want a car for fun, confort or just as a tool?

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for mid size car with comfort and safety.My purpose is to drop kid to school and may be wife to office.But most important is go out of Bangkok on saturday-sunday or any long holiday. If I want small family car I would go for Nissan-March.Small,Good for parking not expensive but also not safe for highways.My wife recommend me V-40 Volvo as she want safety first. So you can say I am looking for mid size car which can fulfill my daily chores as well as fun and safe travel out of Bangkok.I am agree with your comments on toyota but toyota body is also not that safe as volvo v-40 1997.As I do not want to spend too much on car so I didn't check about BMW I thought BMW would be very expensive,I have to check the price for BMW.

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for mid size car with comfort and safety.My purpose is to drop kid to school and may be wife to office.But most important is go out of Bangkok on saturday-sunday or any long holiday. If I want small family car I would go for Nissan-March.Small,Good for parking not expensive but also not safe for highways.My wife recommend me V-40 Volvo as she want safety first. So you can say I am looking for mid size car which can fulfill my daily chores as well as fun and safe travel out of Bangkok.I am agree with your comments on toyota but toyota body is also not that safe as volvo v-40 1997.As I do not want to spend too much on car so I didn't check about BMW I thought BMW would be very expensive,I have to check the price for BMW.

Think you will find Volvo expensive too. Think MRO or KATA will come on and inform you of the safety aspects of high volume rides in LOS.

Thanks for the reply.

Think you will find Volvo expensive too. Think MRO or KATA will come on and inform you of the safety aspects of high volume rides in LOS.

1997 Volvo V40has a sister/sibling, Mitsubishi Lancer. Developed together, same platform, in Europe made side by side by NedCar. None of them are close to todays safety standards. at 400k you should be able to get present gen Vios, safety much better than V40, and cheap to keep alive. 10 years younger. Or get a brand new one for 560k baht.

Living in the BKK area, parts and knowhow for "exotics" is available and a flatbed to a good garage doesnt cost a fortune. I would have a look at VW Passat and Audi A4, larger than V40, very safe at that time, and "exotic" but not very expensive in TH. Especially VW struggled to get sold the last TH made Passats, still reflected in low 1999-2003 prices.

Love beemers, but part prices doesnt really match a 400k purchasing budget, so a real passion is needed to keep it alive

The Volvo V40/S40 was safer than all rivals of it's time with it's 4 star crash rating. Compared to a recent generation Thai B-segment (3-4 stars), it would be a better performer in an accident - so long as the airbags and pretensioners still work, and the seatbelts themselves are still in good condition.

It will however be more expensive to own and run, as will any aging European brand.

Basically, your choices are a recent model lower-spec Jap B-Segment like City/VIOS, a mid-late 90's Benz/BMW/Audi with questionable crash safety, and early 2000's VW Passat or Peugeot 406, or mid 2000's Japanese C-Segment.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thanks for the reply.

1997 Volvo V40has a sister/sibling, Mitsubishi Lancer. Developed together, same platform, in Europe made side by side by NedCar. None of them are close to todays safety standards. at 400k you should be able to get present gen Vios, safety much better than V40, and cheap to keep alive. 10 years younger. Or get a brand new one for 560k baht.

Living in the BKK area, parts and knowhow for "exotics" is available and a flatbed to a good garage doesnt cost a fortune. I would have a look at VW Passat and Audi A4, larger than V40, very safe at that time, and "exotic" but not very expensive in TH. Especially VW struggled to get sold the last TH made Passats, still reflected in low 1999-2003 prices.

Love beemers, but part prices doesnt really match a 400k purchasing budget, so a real passion is needed to keep it alive

Agree in the VW suggestion and glad I wasn't the first to suggest it, my first choice hands down though I am a bit partial..

The Volvo V40/S40 was safer than all rivals of it's time with it's 4 star crash rating. Compared to a recent generation Thai B-segment (3-4 stars), it would be a better performer in an accident - so long as the airbags and pretensioners still work, and the seatbelts themselves are still in good condition.

It will however be more expensive to own and run, as will any aging European brand.

Basically, your choices are a recent model lower-spec Jap B-Segment like City/VIOS, a mid-late 90's Benz/BMW/Audi with questionable crash safety, and early 2000's VW Passat or Peugeot 406, or mid 2000's Japanese C-Segment.

Manufactoring S40 and Lancer side by side, Volvo used 14 more steel profiles in the S40. In combination with spending much more time and money on interior details, better crash safety was achieved.

14 years has its toll on any mechanical device, wiring, g-sensor, explosives, airbags, if these things are still there at all....................................

relying on airbags and belt explosives to work as designed 14 years later is not my style of gambling ;)

14 years has its toll on any mechanical device, wiring, g-sensor, explosives, airbags, if these things are still there at all....................................

relying on airbags and belt explosives to work as designed 14 years later is not my style of gambling ;)

Yep, completely agree. Still there could be a rare gem out there with < 100K KM in the OP's price range..

Personally it'd be a tough choice for me if limited to just 400K.. My shortlist would probably be:

1) A 2000-2001 Thai-made Passat 1.8 Highline (which sold for 1.6M new) - but only one that's been well cared for and low KM's for age.

2) A recent model, low KM mid-spec VIOS

3) A recent model extra-cab pickup

None of these are going to depreciate much further than where they're at now.

The VIOS and Pickup will be cheaper to run and fix, but a Passat in good condition will be much nicer to drive.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Yep, completely agree. Still there could be a rare gem out there with < 100K KM in the OP's price range..

Personally it'd be a tough choice for me if limited to just 400K.. My shortlist would probably be:

1) A 2000-2001 Thai-made Passat 1.8 Highline (which sold for 1.6M new) - but only one that's been well cared for and low KM's for age.

2) A recent model, low KM mid-spec VIOS

3) A recent model extra-cab pickup

None of these are going to depreciate much further than where they're at now.

The VIOS and Pickup will be cheaper to run and fix, but a Passat in good condition will be much nicer to drive.

Living close to BKK, I would go Passat. Seen some female owned, weekend used, 60-100k km. 1,8T with Tiptronic has had some gearbox issues, and a new ZF is like 300k baht, so a diagnosis check is very needed

Then I would pick aibags and its wiring and sensors apart, and install again to ensure its working. If a trunk light can fail in 5 years, the airbags can too ;)

Thanks to everyone for their time and suggestions.After reading all posts it seems PASSAT cars good and nice to ride.I am surprised that no one recommended NISSAN here.

I have discussed with few Thai people and read few more motor forum about PASSAT.

They said it is good European car but expensive to fix it here in Thailand and it's hard to resale it also.One or two good garages only in Bangkok to fix it.Spare parts are too expensive also.One more thing is in Thailand Passat has lesser resale value than Nissan cars because the main buyers are Thai here and they prefer Nisaan.

Few people advised to have for Nissan-Sunny-NEO but I am not sure about safety issues.I think they have no air bags.They said as you are buying car first time in Thailand and in case you don't like it Nissan car later you can easily resale it .I hope I got right information about resale value and garages in Thailand for Passat.I am going for test drive of Passat soon.One more question I have how to trust the meter of second hand cars here.Anyone can do cheating on meter reading and I need more advice about Nissan cars in Thailand.

Thanks to everyone for their time and suggestions.After reading all posts it seems PASSAT cars good and nice to ride.I am surprised that no one recommended NISSAN here.

I have discussed with few Thai people and read few more motor forum about PASSAT.

They said it is good European car but expensive to fix it here in Thailand and it's hard to resale it also.One or two good garages only in Bangkok to fix it.Spare parts are too expensive also.One more thing is in Thailand Passat has lesser resale value than Nissan cars because the main buyers are Thai here and they prefer Nisaan.

Few people advised to have for Nissan-Sunny-NEO but I am not sure about safety issues.I think they have no air bags.They said as you are buying car first time in Thailand and in case you don't like it Nissan car later you can easily resale it .I hope I got right information about resale value and garages in Thailand for Passat.I am going for test drive of Passat soon.One more question I have how to trust the meter of second hand cars here.Anyone can do cheating on meter reading and I need more advice about Nissan cars in Thailand.

A friend of ours has a nissan sunny neo and has run it on lpg for many years with no issues. 1 baht / km. They would be about 400K or so now, and many have already had lpg installed. The honda brio and nissan march sell for 400-500K and would be good for city use.

• 3 months later...

A friend of ours has a nissan sunny neo and has run it on lpg for many years with no issues. 1 baht / km. They would be about 400K or so now, and many have already had lpg installed. The honda brio and nissan march sell for 400-500K and would be good for city use.

Nissan sunny Neo is good but I am not able to find the good one for test drive yet.

I took test drive today for Chevrolet,Zafira 1.8 CD year 2000 and I liked it.That car tent is offering a price 335,000 ฿ .I think I need a mechanic to check before finalizing this one.What you guys think about this car, is it a good deal?Please let me know.I have taken test drive of Toyota cars also but as per the safety issues I like this one .

I would also promote VW Passat with the 1.9 TDI engine. VW's diesel engines last very long and give a good fuel economy, and their design is still acceptable, compared to many other early 2000 cars.

If you end up looking for a Passat, remember to avoid the V5 once, they have a horrible record in terms of engine quality.

Hard to beat a Toyota or Honda for value and lack of headaches... Like several members suggested, look around the secondhand car websites, go check out the numerous "tents" all around, for 400K you should be able to get something like a previous model Camry:

http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0054&Model=S0535&Body=D0094&

or Accord:

http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0020&Model=S0164&Body=D0182&

or Nissan Cefiro (with the delicious VQ engines):

http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0035&Model=S0428&Body=D0556&

Sure, European cars are nice too, but do you really want to deal with the headache of expensive spare parts? Not really worth it IMO...

• Like 1

Now that I'm thinking about it a SEAT Toledo would be a nice catch too and basically everything a Passat only with a bit more sport is also made be VW only their Spanish partners.. Could probably get a nice one and save 100,000 baht 1.8T 20V also available same as Passat but I don't think they're available in TDI models though....

Also VW parts and service are not as expensive nor as rare as some might suggest who own Yota pickup trucks and the like and live out in the sticks, unless you too live up in the sticks then it might be a bit more of task..

But I've had VW products exclusively for years now and no issues admittedly I do my own work no matter what car it might be and I see first rate garages all the time most of which also service BMW's, Mercedes and other European makes..

Edited by WarpSpeed

But that's what I said Star, there are plenty of qualified shops around that cater to higher end Euro models and with both Toyo and Honda your going to get a car with a history of guys (or gals) who can't find the dipstick because they are dipsticks :P;).. So, the up keep of the car is questionable where as the Euro models which are mostly upscale have been better maintained and cared for all around by qualified mechanics instead of the local Somchai and his BiL..

I also wanted to mention that the Toledo is less expensive for much of the same package as the Passat but even in a later model car like 2002-2004 models as much as 100,000b less..

• 8 months later...

Replying to the people who are looking for a used car. I am updating my car in about 3 weeks. . It is nearly 3 years oId, a Mitsubishi Lancer E.X model. Leather seats. Disc brakes all round. A.B.S. Factory fitted C.N.G. Radio and C.D. player. Nearly completed 40,000 kilometres. Then I will have the big service.

Economical, 16 Kilometres on one litre of Petrol. On gas around 240 Kilometres on for 120 Baht. Asking price 550,000 baht.

Replying to the people who are looking for a used car. I am updating my car in about 3 weeks. . It is nearly 3 years oId, a Mitsubishi Lancer E.X model. Leather seats. Disc brakes all round. A.B.S. Factory fitted C.N.G. Radio and C.D. player. Nearly completed 40,000 kilometres. Then I will have the big service.

Economical, 16 Kilometres on one litre of Petrol. On gas around 240 Kilometres on for 120 Baht. Asking price 550,000 baht.

Place in ads. smile.png

With your Budget your not far off a new Toyota Vios or Honda City.Id never buy second hand here unless you know the Owner, they make a wreck look like new,especially Imports.Up to You.

A 560'k Vios is not a midsize car. It's a small "Ecobox" with "nothing" inside. Not even have intermited wipers.

So for 400'k you could get a nice mid 90ties BMW 525. Parts aren't expensive, because they are Thailand Made. Another option: Did you ever considered a Nissan Cefiro? Best value for low money, 6 cylinder, smooth comfy ride, plenty of room, luxury, etc. A nice 2002 model should be arround the 400'k range and they are "fuly loaded". Tey are 2 liter 6 cylinder (not heavy on petrol) and they run smother than any 4 bangers.

With your Budget your not far off a new Toyota Vios or Honda City.Id never buy second hand here unless you know the Owner, they make a wreck look like new,especially Imports.Up to You.

You have to be careful buying a used car anywhere but there are ways of avoiding that risk. Don't the car manufacturers have authorised dealers?

Nobody has yet answered the OP's question:

I also want to know that what is the best way to check the second hand car before buying.

• 9 years later...
On 10/2/2011 at 12:24 PM, WarpSpeed said:

But that's what I said Star, there are plenty of qualified shops around that cater to higher end Euro models and with both Toyo and Honda your going to get a car with a history of guys (or gals) who can't find the dipstick because they are dipsticks :P;).. So, the up keep of the car is questionable where as the Euro models which are mostly upscale have been better maintained and cared for all around by qualified mechanics instead of the local Somchai and his BiL..

I also wanted to mention that the Toledo is less expensive for much of the same package as the Passat but even in a later model car like 2002-2004 models as much as 100,000b less..

There is a very logical reason that European import vehicles with any significant age or years on that in the second hand car market are often at comparable or even less asking price for year and mileage despite inflated original cost new. Parts and knowledgeable servicing  compared with the generic and mostly locally produced Japanese models is expensive.

I would also be sceptical about the overall service levels of "upscale" vehicles or other given the diligence of many owners is focused on glossy appearance once the initial "free" servicing is over.

IMO any prospective buyer of a second hand vehicle need familiarize themself with some basic information as how to identify signs of crash  damage and to personally witness a readout of the digital record from a diagnostic reader which although some can have history erased is still capable of indicating current issues or impending ones. Although none can electronically detect how many kilos of resin filler has been adeptly applied to minor or repeated crash damage.

The common idea that buying from a prior "farang" owner as some guarantee I also find dubious.

To me it is little different to the " Only One Little old Lady " owner promo often historically meaninglessly used.

• Like 1

Personally I avoid an older European import, unless you have good mechanical lnowledge or lots of soare time to find a reliable local garage for servicing and repairs.

The modern Thai made Japanese saloons will be reliable and easy to maintain.  

On the 'nearly new' used market, Toyota tend to be over-priced as they hold value well, so look at Honda and Nissan.  The mid-sized Nissan saloons were not too popular, so there's decent deals on the Sylphy.  Also consider an X-Trail .... great ride, spacious, well equipped and has a chassis, unlike the Fortuna/Everest pick-up based SUV's, so drives like a car.

The Honda Accords are also a good bet, though ride is a bit stiffer than Nissan's, which benefitted from Renault input.

Edited by Kinnock