Poipet Onwards...?

nevcross

Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can give views based on recent experience re the following; I intend taking gambler bus to Aran border, then would like to take public bus from Poipet to Phnom Penh. Enquiries suggest buses may only leave Poipet very early in the morning......does anyone know if this is right ie bus times from Poipet to PP.An alternative would be to travel via Battambang, does anyone know of a bus going from Poipet to Batttambang, particularly times departing for Battambang. I imagine staying in Battambang to be preferable to Poipet and it would have the efffect of breaking the journey down. I did the journey in reverse in March and it was do-able. Any insight readers could give on doing it this way would be appreciated.Thanks.P......incidentally I agree with other contributors that flying is preferable but AirAsia tickets need to be bought early , otherwise can be quite expensive.

The main buses depart Poipet am ,I believe there may be later ones but they are older style ones that arrive PP very late at night.

I do the trip regularly and have found it preferable to grab a taxi near the roundabout , cost is about the same as a nights accom at Poipet or Battambong but it will get you to PP late afternoon allowing you to get to the Embassy AM the next morning (if that is your intent).

Avoid if possible , the mafia touts who will all try to tell you they are the taxi owner or driver and seek out the actual driver,cost should be about 800 baht to have the front pass seat to yourself and 500 to share the back seat with about four others (plus an infant or two and maybe a family pet).

Taxi,s are door to door and you should only pay on arrival, the touts will try to get payment in advance, do not fall for the need cash for petrol trick ,all they are after is their commission .

Edited by ozzydom

The main buses depart Poipet am ,I believe there may be later ones but they are older style ones that arrive PP very late at night.

I do the trip regularly and have found it preferable to grab a taxi near the roundabout , cost is about the same as a nights accom at Poipet or Battambong but it will get you to PP late afternoon allowing you to get to the Embassy AM the next morning (if that is your intent).

Avoid if possible , the mafia touts who will all try to tell you they are the taxi owner or driver and seek out the actual driver,cost should be about 800 baht to have the front pass seat to yourself and 500 to share the back seat with about four others (plus an infant or two and maybe a family pet).

Taxi,s are door to door and you should only pay on arrival, the touts will try to get payment in advance, do not fall for the need cash for petrol trick ,all they are after is their commission .

Thanks, I will try to get to Poipet as early as poss and head to bus station, see what I can get, preferably PP but if not Battambang, will bear in mind your points re share taxi if end up taking that option. Thanks again. P

The last buses are 1030 and 1245. I have taken both this year. Go to the bus ticket office on the right about 1 1/2 k on the right. The bus station is a runaround.

Pleased to say it went ok, took gambler bus from Lumpinee at 6-30, thru the visa process, walked along avoided touts, found motoboy, said bus station, go PP he took me to Rith Mony office, poss a mile down from border on lhs, i was just in time for the 10-45 bus, there may be odd ones leaving later, but several bus offices scattered around the town, but with a bit of luck can find.....nb on return I noted that the border closes at 8pm. have good travels.P