Durian Predicted To Be A Next Trendy "Health" Food In The West

Jingthing

Makes sense to me. I love the stuff.

http://www.slate.com/id/2296644/

I predict that Rooibos will soon have quinoa's most-emailed powers, and I have some guesses for what else is on deck. My method is simple: I limit my guesses to food products that are a tad expensive, a little foreign, and claim to cure cancer. Raw milk is so last year. Agave is almost as ubiquitous and banal as plain-old white sugar these days. Is it coconut water? Lemon-flavored flaxseed oil? My vote has to go to the durian, the "potent-smelling" fruit from southeast Asia.

On my recent trip to the US (east coast) I saw both FRESH durian and jackfruit. It appeared to be a regular display. That surprised me as when I used to live in California, I only saw fresh durian in the markets one time (other times frozen). I expect from what I recently saw fresh durian is going to get bigger in the US.

Edited by Jingthing

My guess is that if Durian were to be successful it would depend on the variety - I think it is 'Mon -thong' (correct me if i am wrong) that has the best taste and is perferred by the Thais as it has a milder taste and a firmer ,whiter form and costs somewhat more than the other earlier varieties.

Durian is just one of those taste you either love or detest, me i love it ,but not too much can i eat in one sitting.

can anyone post a fat (lipid) profile of Durian?

I can't find any breakdown.

The high sugar content is going to be hard to sell. Also hard to see any noteworthy particular vitamin or mineral content to justify the high prices and perishability. A lot of cheaper and easier ways to get Vit B and C.

What would the appeal be other than taste or novelty?

The high sugar content is going to be hard to sell. Also hard to see any noteworthy particular vitamin or mineral content to justify the high prices and perishability. A lot of cheaper and easier ways to get Vit B and C.

Read the OP and source article.

... food products that are a tad expensive, a little foreign, and claim to cure cancer.

http://www.encognitive.com/node/10784

Edited by Jingthing

Read the OP and source article.

... food products that are a tad expensive, a little foreign, and claim to cure cancer.

http://www.encognitive.com/node/10784

I still didn't see any kind of lipid profile or specific nutrient claims other than claiming it cures cancer. <deleted>.... Can anyone just make claims without any research?

What makes this seem the most irresponsible is that for most cancers high sugar diets tend to feed tumors and increase growth. The only diets that seem to have any efficacy for starving cancer are very low carb protocols like the Ketogenic diet.

Maybe there is an extractable Durian nutrient that can be utilized without the high carbohydrates.