Made In Thailand

Pattel

Yesterday I decided that number of socks, shirts etc that I have was getting a bit low. So I got on my motorbike and did what I normally do I headed to 2nd Road for Made in Thailand.

It wasn't there. I have been coming to Thailand for many years (living here now) and I have always bought my casual clothes and underwear there. Plus the odd bits and pieces over the years. I cant remember when Made in Thailand wasn't there.

Does anyone know if the market has moved anywhere or has it just disappeared completely.

Also anybody know whose bought the land and whats going to happen to it?

There's some markets on the second road between central road and soi 6/1 on the left side. Goes down till beach road. Not sure if they moved there but seems something similar.

Made in Thailand has been there for decades. Previously there was an open-air cinema behind it, and a strange open-air Thai theatre, all backing on to Soi Buakow (which was still a dirt track).

Certainly a shame that places like that should be pushed out to make way for condos or air-con shopping malls. :(

An alternative is the weekend Thapprya market. Or the Tuesday/Friday market in Soi Buakow near South Rd.

There's some markets on the second road between central road and soi 6/1 on the left side. Goes down till beach road. Not sure if they moved there but seems something similar.

Actually, I may have found it by accident tonight. A few of us went to the Chinese circus, and afterwards as we headed out of the site to beach road, there were lots of stalls, with many of the Made in Thailand style wares --- it seems to have some frontage onto beach road --- after 6/1 coming along the beach road.

So, a big thank you.

Maybe that's where the proposed MBK center is going to be built and other land they own closer to the beach could be used for a condotel when the lease expires

That's the first I hear of a proposed MBK center in Pattaya. Don't find any references in Pattaya either. Any more info about that?

Made in Thailand has been there for decades. Previously there was an open-air cinema behind it, and a strange open-air Thai theatre, all backing on to Soi Buakow (which was still a dirt track).

Certainly a shame that places like that should be pushed out to make way for condos or air-con shopping malls. :(

An alternative is the weekend Thapprya market. Or the Tuesday/Friday market in Soi Buakow near South Rd.

The "strange open-air Thai theatre" you mention was actually a Likay theatre, it was quite a small venue.

Of more importance was the small bar area which was one of the few to sell draught beer at the time.

You will also remember the slums that were right infront of you if you had carried on walking towards Soi Buakow from the theatre mentioned.

I concur with your thoughts on the passing of traditional venues being replaced with yet another a/c soulless monstrosity, some call it progress.

Maybe that's where the proposed MBK center is going to be built and other land they own closer to the beach could be used for a condotel when the lease expires

That's the first I hear of a proposed MBK center in Pattaya. Don't find any references in Pattaya either. Any more info about that?

Way back in 2007 it was said:MBK plans Bt5-bn project in Pattaya

-redwood

Way back in 2007 it was said:MBK plans Bt5-bn project in Pattaya

-redwood

MBK is will be built on the site of the Montien hotel

The "strange open-air Thai theatre" you mention was actually a Likay theatre, it was quite a small venue.

Of more importance was the small bar area which was one of the few to sell draught beer at the time.

You will also remember the slums that were right infront of you if you had carried on walking towards Soi Buakow from the theatre mentioned.

That's right.

I do remember an area at the back of Made in Thailand that had a few cheap Thai restaurants in, from where you could see the theatre and the the cinema. And there was a wet market area across to the north also. You really felt you were abroad back then. Now its all hamburgers and 7/11s.

The really odd thing was to see Diana Estate sprout up out of the middle of nothing at all!