Quality Foreign Tradesmen/designers

Phuket electrician

I am new to this forum and enjoy reading about the trials and tribulations of foreigners getting things repaired or replaced here in Phuket. I also have some difficulty communicating with locals to my needs as a foreigner in this wonderful country. It seems to me that the Thais are very good at coming up with solutions to everyday problems, but the solution tends to be temporary or ad hoc and sometimes downright dangerous. I recently tried to replace some decayed lighting only to find no way of isolating the electricity. The wiring had no fuse, that is to say it came straight from the main cable!! A fire risk I think, but my Thai man claims mai pan rai?? Any suggestions?

We encounter this problem on a regular basis. The supply must be disconnected at the meter by the supply authority and appropriate remedial installation work carried out. However, a competent person can rectify the issue with due care and consideration for the prevailing environment conditions. Find a qualified electrician through recommendation and always confirm the price prior to commencement of work. Good luck and piece of mind.

Living in Phuket I meet professionals all the time selling real estate, consulting, designers etc. When one inquires, further they are little more than blue-collar workers living here as we all do, to enjoy the great weather and Thai hospitality. However, there is the element that enjoy the ego boost to their sad and unsuccessful lives by having uncommunicative sex with girls of the age they can only dream of in their home country. We see them everywhere smitten with some girl with the female form of a teenager or small boy. Yes, they own and run bars; more often with no experience or qualification, manipulate the law for their own means. I get the impression from the Dr,s non-descript posts that he falls sadly into this category. If I am wrong and you do in fact, have the moral fibre of a decent living being then lets support the qualified and experienced for a better Phuket and offer rewarding opportunities to the young Thais so they don’t have to sleep with seedy old farts to make a good living. So good luck to those of us Thai or foreign who have something positive to contribute. And Bo ho to you doubting, fumbling Jon Thomas.

Living in Phuket I meet professionals all the time selling real estate, consulting, designers etc.  When one inquires, further they are little more than blue-collar workers living here as we all do, to enjoy the great weather and Thai hospitality.  However, there is the element that enjoy the ego boost to their sad and unsuccessful lives by having uncommunicative sex with girls of the age they can only dream of in their home country.  We see them everywhere smitten with some girl with the female form of a teenager or small boy.  Yes, they own and run bars; more often with no experience or qualification, manipulate the law for their own means.  I get the impression from the Dr,s non-descript posts that he falls sadly into this category.  If I am wrong and you do in fact, have the moral fibre of a decent living being then lets support the qualified and experienced for a better Phuket and offer rewarding opportunities to the young Thais so they don’t have to sleep with seedy old farts to make a good living.   So good luck to those of us Thai or foreign who have something positive to contribute.  And Bo ho to you doubting, fumbling Jon Thomas.

What has this post got to do with anything?

Dr. PP raised a very valid point as the OP will find out when all his work permit applications get turned down because of Thai law. Do you think bar owners would be bar owners if they could practce their own trade legally?

Get off your high horse and stop trying to judge people on the basis of one line that they wrote.

Edited by Sir Burr

Living in Phuket I meet professionals all the time selling real estate, consulting, designers etc.  When one inquires, further they are little more than blue-collar workers living here as we all do, to enjoy the great weather and Thai hospitality.  However, there is the element that enjoy the ego boost to their sad and unsuccessful lives by having uncommunicative sex with girls of the age they can only dream of in their home country.  We see them everywhere smitten with some girl with the female form of a teenager or small boy.  Yes, they own and run bars; more often with no experience or qualification, manipulate the law for their own means.  I get the impression from the Dr,s non-descript posts that he falls sadly into this category.  If I am wrong and you do in fact, have the moral fibre of a decent living being then lets support the qualified and experienced for a better Phuket and offer rewarding opportunities to the young Thais so they don’t have to sleep with seedy old farts to make a good living.   So good luck to those of us Thai or foreign who have something positive to contribute.  And Bo ho to you doubting, fumbling Jon Thomas.

What has this post got to do with anything?

Dr. PP raised a very valid point as the OP will find out when all his work permit applications get turned down because of Thai law. Do you think bar owners would be bar owners if they could practce their own trade legally?

Get off your high horse and stop trying to judge people on the basis of one line that they wrote.

Make them all managers ! You can employ a farang to run your bar if he is a manager .

How about making them slaves? What's the law on slavery here in LOS?

Don't need a workpermit to be a slave do you?

Is that a serious contribution to a rational discussion Ol red?

Very rational I feel.About as rational as to get farang tradesmans to actually use their tools over here...pun not intended. :o

Evidently, the acumen required to obtain a work permit does not extend to Bangkok. Across Asia, there are a large number of entities controlled by foreign tradesmen claiming to be engineers and rightly so, employing thousands of local workers, paying appropriate taxes etc. Where would places like Hong Kong, KL, Malaysia, Thailand be without these foreign entrepreneurs? The Thai government allows such entities to flourish why? According to the Bank of Thailand Governor MR Pridiyathorn Devakula talking yesterday brushed aside fears over foreign domination. “Foreigners can’t compete with Thais. Thais are talented,” he said. Ye ha!! :o

To put this plainly:-

Yes, you can hire foreign tradesmen to be managers. though for every foreigner with a work-permit, you must employ seven Thais, pay taxes for them and supply health-care insurance.

No, you cannot hire foreigners to actually do the work itself. These professions are reserved for Thais only.