First Passport Uk

seaneee

I am currently thinking about applying for my sons first UK passport. We live in Thailand . Dad British, mum Thai. Married 2 years already. Child 1 month old.

What im not finding clear are the translations required and getting them notarized? Do i have to go to the ministry of foreign affairs? If so where is it.

Any up to date info would be most appreciated.

Just bring your marriage paper, your wife's ID card and sons birth certificate to a translation company. I prefer to just give them the documents, have them translate the documents, have them bring translations to ministry of foreign affairs for certification and then mail me all the documents via EMS.

You can do the ministry of foreign affairs certification part yourself if you want, but IMHO it's not worth saving 500-1000Baht and wasting a whole day on that. Just pay the translation company to do it all.

Once you get your certified translations bring them to the embassy along with your passport and passport photos of your son. They will be able to be submit the passport application and you a British birth certificate at the same time.

Costs a small fortunate and birth certificate/passport arrive by mail after a few weeks.

Just bring your marriage paper, your wife's ID card and sons birth certificate to a translation company. I prefer to just give them the documents, have them translate the documents, have them bring translations to ministry of foreign affairs for certification and then mail me all the documents via EMS.

You can do the ministry of foreign affairs certification part yourself if you want, but IMHO it's not worth saving 500-1000Baht and wasting a whole day on that. Just pay the translation company to do it all.

Once you get your certified translations bring them to the embassy along with your passport and passport photos of your son. They will be able to be submit the passport application and you a British birth certificate at the same time.

Costs a small fortunate and birth certificate/passport arrive by mail after a few weeks.

I have read all the documents and notes on the passport application form, and all it states is that all Thai forms must be translated by a licensed translator. It does not mention the ministry of foreign affairs anywhere. Im confused now :blink:

ps i dont want to register the birth, i just want a passport for him.

Edited by seaneee

A translated copy of the child's birth certificate stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A translated copy of your Marriage Certificate also stamped by MoFA is also required. It doesn't say on the Embassy website, but you also need to send your wife's passport. It's not a requirement, but the Embassy say it's something they ask to see when the application is sent on to Hong Kong.

If you need to ask any other questions then phone 02305-8333 Ext 2215. Speak with Marisa Vorapruck. She deals with passports.

I have just been through this process so can tell you exactly what is required.

My daughters passport arrived 3 days ago.

You will need your childs birth certificate, your wifes Id card and your marriage certificate. Take them to a licensed translator and get them translated into English.

You will also need your original (british) birth certificate.

2 photos of your baby.

Complete the application form and take to the british embassy in Bangkok.

Pay the fee, submit the documents, then your done.

I was in and out in 30 minutes. Passport arrived approx. 4 weeks later.

I did not go near a ministry of foreign affairs.

Easy

I have read all the documents and notes on the passport application form, and all it states is that all Thai forms must be translated by a licensed translator. It does not mention the ministry of foreign affairs anywhere. Im confused now :blink:

Translations need to be stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but as i said most translation companies will offer to get this done for you (for a fee obviously), so that you don't have to go to Chaeng Wattana MoFA and sit around all day.

You will need your childs birth certificate, your wifes Id card and your marriage certificate. Take them to a licensed translator and get them translated into English.

2 photos of your baby.

Easy

I feel this is exactly what im getting from the notes. Do you think the translation company went to the ministry of foreign affairs?

My opinion is that they didnt.

Translations need to be stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but as i said most translation companies will offer to get this done for you (for a fee obviously), so that you don't have to go to Chaeng Wattana MoFA and sit around all day.

Where does it say they need to be stamped by the MFA?

2 photos of your baby.

Easy

I feel this is exactly what im getting from the notes. Do you think the translation company went to the ministry of foreign affairs?

I know that they didn't as I waited while it was translated.

2 photos of your baby.

Easy

Thank you so much!

Im off up there next tuesday.

Did you also get a Thai passport?

2 photos of your baby.

Easy

Thank you so much!

Im off up there next tuesday.

Did you also get a Thai passport?

Yes, I actually got the Thai passport first. I was dreading it, but actually it turned out to be a pleasant experience.

I applied in Phuket which has a reasonably new office for this purpose.

I used the same documents as above, but obviously not translated.

Arrived at the office, the receptionist picked up my baby immediately, gave her a big cuddle, then proceeded to measure her height. That done, the process had started. 10 minutes later called to sit down with the clerk. The clerk completed the application form with my wife. They took a photo with a digital camera attached to her computer, so no need to take pictures. That was funny as I had to hold her up, with a towel behind her to hide me and my hands holding her. Easier said than done and caused amusement for the whole office. Then the best bit, she had to sign her application form with her BIG TOE PRINT!! All done, took maybe 45 minutes. Passport arrived 2 weeks later. As I say a pleasant surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

The Translations do not need to be stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Just a stamp by an Official Translator/official (who most translation companies will be able to provide). I know as I just recently applied and received a UK passport for my English/Thai daughter and didn't go near MOFA.

However this might not be the case if you are registering the Birth at the same time. I have not registered her birth just applied for and got the passport. By all accounts registration is pointless.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all for the useful info above.

Does anyone know at what point the original documents (passports, birth certs, marriage cert, thai id card) are sent back to me ? Is it soonest from Bangkok, or from Hong Kong, or with everything from London?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

2 photos of your baby.

Easy

On the Embassy website it says under documents required "copy of parents' passports" but your post seems to suggest these are not required ? Easier if these are not required but if they are do copies suffice or, as with most documents, are the originals required ? The process via Hong Kong takes around 6 weeks & I won't be in Thailand that long so I don't really want to have to send my passport away.

Can I not apply for a UK passport for my child in the UK itself ( I reside here, my girlfriend & baby are in Thailand) ?

Finally do both parents have to be present when applying for a Thai passport for my child or can my girlfriend go on her own ?