The House I Built Part 2

chiangrai57020

Temporary Electrical Phase: Not having any electricity on the lot, the wife and I went to the electric utility office to arrange a temporary hook-up. Since there was no electric pole close to the property we had to pay for a concrete pole and arrange for the electric wires to be run to the new pole, and hook up of the temporary electric meter. Everything was accomplished within a week. Now that we had electricity, we had to figure out how to get water!

Water Phase: Within the village a new water system was being installed but was not available to the property we had. So I purchased 2 large rain barrels - the ‘apple shaped’ cement jars that everyone has for collecting rain water! For water, we hired a water truck to truck enough water to fill the barrels and be on call for replenishment. Never ran out of water. The 2 barrels cost 800 baht each and water delivery ran 250 baht per trip.

Constructon Supervisor and Workers: The workers to construct the house had to be found. It just so happened that my (former?) wife’s long lost brother was in the house construction business. I must also point out that his primary business was working in the ‘rice fields’! So we drove the 120 KM to visit with him and show him the plans I drew up to get an estimate of labor cost. All materials would and was purchased by me. The brother-in-law, after a couple of days reviewing the drawings decided that he could build the house, the front fence and gate for a total labor and profit cost of 65,000 Baht. He stated that he could complete the building process in 60 days. Great! So I told him, If you complete the house in less than 60 days I will pay you an additional 10,000 Baht. Some of you reading this may think I was ‘nuts’ to pay him an additional 10,000 Baht.

At the time of building, year 2000, my labor out of pocket expense, was $1,765 dollars (34 baht to the $) and the additional 10,000 baht amounted to $294 dollars! Back then I was still thinking ‘dollars’.

Construction Begins: (28 April - 26 Jun 2000) Approximately a week later the brother-in-law pulls up with his old pickup truck carrying a cement mixer. His crew was following him in another truck. Total number of people - 5. After unloading all their equipment it was time to build a shelter. It must be pointed out that at the time the ‘crew’ showed up to build, there was nothing but an empty lot. For lack of a better definition, the brother-in-law located some bamboo and ‘rice straw’ for a roof. They were going to remain on site until the completion of the house!

The house, fence and gate were completed in less than 60 days. The following are the actual cost of labor and materials:

Total Cost: 401,602 ($11,811)

Breakdown:

30,000 Baht Aluminum Windows, Screens and Doors

4,000 Vinyl Folding Door/Room Divided (Front entry and Living Room)

38,540 Electrical Plugs, Switches, Lights, etc. including installation

10,400 Ceiling Insulation

6,000 Front Gate and Door including Installation

15,000 3 Wood Doors and 2 Aluminum Doors

75,000 Construction Labor including the 10,000 baht bonus

14,300 11.5 meters 2,500 PSI Cement delivered (Slab)

11,185 Electric Pole, Temp Electric Meter, Water Tanks (Jars), etc.

20,000 Ceiling Materials and Installation

142,641 Concrete Blocks, Floor Tile, Bath Fixtures (2 sets), Pipe, Steel Beams/Rafters,

Roof Tiles, Paint, etc.

15,336 Wood - Trim, Soffit, Facia, Vents, etc.

19,200 Additional materials to complete carport and touch up.

Edited by chiangrai57020