For Hsbc (Uk) Customers

In case you don't know, in about 8-10 weeks time, the only way to gain access to your Personal Banking Page at HSBC is with one of THESE little fellows:

hsbc-secure-key1.jpg.pagespeed.ce.GHApCdBQn2.jpg

If you dont know about this change, i suggest you familiarise yourself with them ASAP !!!!!!

That, or change banks, because after 30 days of reciept of the letter the key is sent in, you wont be able to access anything

All details of the changes are on your Personal Banking page

Penkoprod

Nationwide bank already use something similar but allows logging on using security with keyboard

But not for making payments - I think...

That's right. You can still log into your online banking using the old method but cannot make payments to any non-Nationwide accounts without the gizmo.

The purpose of this thread is to give a "heads up" to those HSBC customers who are out in Thailand, and use their accounts with HSBC remotely via online banking

What it ISNT about is to debate the merits (or otherwise) of banks other than HSBC

Hope you will understand, and refrain from detracting from the main thrust of the thread

Apologies if this comes across as harsh, but its an important thread for some members, and not a lot of use for others (whether they be Nationwide customers, Nat West, Halifax or whatever)

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

I see the info. on the website, but no messages in my inbox or details as regarding when they are using this system or in fact whether you will still be able to log in without it. Is it going to be compulsory to use it?

Looking at what people have written on the net, it seems it will be compulsory. Lots of disadvantages for people living abroad - incl. problems and you need to call them, you lose it or it breaks (in which case you need to go and take the old one back to a UK branch) and it takes at least 5 days to replace , again all in UK. A right pain in the neck. Won't be on HSBC internet banking much longer!

Edited by cmsally

The purpose of this thread is to give a "heads up" to those HSBC customers who are out in Thailand, and use their accounts with HSBC remotely via online banking

What it ISNT about is to debate the merits (or otherwise) of banks other than HSBC

Hope you will understand, and refrain from detracting from the main thrust of the thread

Apologies if this comes across as harsh, but its an important thread for some members, and not a lot of use for others (whether they be Nationwide customers, Nat West, Halifax or whatever)

Penkoprod

Are we training to become a mod ?

Not harsh but arrogant.

The 'heads up' was covered in the OP - not rocket-science.

Not harsh but arrogant.

:clap2: Hey, thanks for keeping this thread on the front page !!!!

Do you think you could do it on a weekly basis. Say, every Wednesday, for the next, say 10 weeks?

Penkoprod

I see the info. on the website, but no messages in my inbox or details as regarding when they are using this system or in fact whether you will still be able to log in without it. Is it going to be compulsory to use it?

Looking at what people have written on the net, it seems it will be compulsory. Lots of disadvantages for people living abroad - incl. problems and you need to call them, you lose it or it breaks (in which case you need to go and take the old one back to a UK branch) and it takes at least 5 days to replace , again all in UK. A right pain in the neck. Won't be on HSBC internet banking much longer!

That was the reason i posted the info. To give people the time to make other arrangements should they need, or wish to.

Are you saying you got NO notification whatsoever of this change?

I got a popup message in my browser as soon as i logged in, as well as 2 letters about the changes.

Its going to be a royal pain to use..even from theUK from all accounts. These "security keys" dont seem to be very robust. Credit card sized thickness, from what i can see

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

Not harsh but arrogant.

:clap2: Hey, thanks for keeping this thread on the front page !!!!

Do you think you could do it on a weekly basis. Say, every Wednesday, for the next, say 10 weeks?

Penkoprod

:lol:

Hopefully everyone should have their new widget before next month is out.

I am expecting mine to arrive in the next couple of days - I have until 18th July to activate (or re-order if the post lets me down).

These "security keys" dont seem to be very robust. Credit card sized thickness, from what i can see

don't worry! i am using one that is 7 and another one that is 6 years old. batteries are supposed to last 15-20 years. credit card size but thickness ~2mm.

securid.jpg

Edited by Naam

I am expecting mine to arrive in the next couple of days - I have until 18th July to activate (or re-order if the post lets me down).

Is your letter/info different than mine, then? Because according to the HSBC letter in front of me now which is dated 17th June, they are sending the secure keys out "in 5-6 weeks from now" So your estimate of before next month is out is accurate enough.

However, your estimate of you recieving it and of having to activate yours is different to my own info.

According to my letter "you'll have 30 days from the date on the letter its sent with to activate it and upgrade your other security details."

So, don't panic if it isnt there by end of the week ;)

Strange thing, is, though, thry (HSBC) have TWO types of secure key, from what i can gather. One is as above, but there are customers being offered their devices in the form of a central locking fob design (As below)

Having seen Naam's post about the robustness of these cards, i think i know which one i prefer !!!

Gotta be the card every time, i would think

1991428.jpg

Penkoprod

Is your letter/info different than mine, then? Because according to the HSBC letter in front of me now which is dated 17th June, they are sending the secure keys out "in 5-6 weeks from now" So your estimate of before next month is out is accurate enough.

However, your estimate of you recieving it and of having to activate yours is different to my own info.

According to my letter "you'll have 30 days from the date on the letter its sent with to activate it and upgrade your other security details."

Strange thing, is, though, thry (HSBC) have TWO types of secure key, from what i can gather. One is as above, but there are customers being offered their devices in the form of a central locking fob design (As below)

Having seen Naam's post about the robustness of these cards, i think i know which one i prefer !!!

1991428.jpg

Penkoprod

Message at log-in:-

You need to upgrade your security by 18th July 2011.

If now's not a good time or you haven't received your Secure Key yet, you can go straight to My Accounts and upgrade at a later date.

To continue upgrading now, please enter the details below.

I am aware that my hoofer-doofer arrived at my UK address last week.

I have a 'key fob' security device for business banking. It works fine and is very robust.

The new HSBC personal account device looks far better than the Nationwide, Nat West and Lloyds bulkier devices.

Well, they must be doing them in batches, i assume

All the banks seem to have, or are planning on this extra layer of security, it would seem

Hope HSBC get rid of that Raptor <deleted> from the site now and this will take over from it, rather than being in addition to it

Penkoprod

All the banks seem to have, or are planning on this extra layer of security, it would seem

Hope HSBC get rid of that Raptor <deleted> from the site now and this will take over from it, rather than being in addition to it

Penkoprod

I'm with HSBC outside UK and they don't have this device (yet)nor is their any news about.

At the moment in order to log on you have to enter first two different security codes. Once that's done you have to enter a 3rd code which you receive on your mobile phone by sms.

Once that's all done and you wish for example to transfer money to another account, after filling out the transfer form online as a last step again you have to enter a security code which is send to your mobile.

To me it all seems pretty secure.

Well I have no messages when logging on or in my inbox. I might have received a letter at my UK address (I have to check) if it arrived in last 10 days.

It just all seems to be a bit backward (as someone put it - a cheap 1980's calculator), the supposed ease of technology but even the guys will need to carry a handbag if this carries on. It's going to be one more thing to get replaced when your bag is stolen, and it will be a nightmare for anyone abroad.

I don't suppose anyone can source the factory in Shenzhen where they are probably produced, that might save us some bother. I don't suppose anyone at HSBC gets a kickback for this enormous shipment of "calculators"! Oh, what a cynic I am!

Penkoprod

I'm with HSBC outside UK and they don't have this device (yet)nor is their any news about.

At the moment in order to log on you have to enter first two different security codes. Once that's done you have to enter a 3rd code which you receive on your mobile phone by sms.

Once that's all done and you wish for example to transfer money to another account, after filling out the transfer form online as a last step again you have to enter a security code which is send to your mobile.

Thats exactly how it is NOW in UK, but things are changing and changing worldwide, it would seem. I have seen pics of these security fobs and cards on sites from HK, and even Poland.

So, depending on where you are in the world (and dont get have an accomdation address in your home country) then propare for changes !!!!

Penkoprod

Penkoprod

Thats exactly how it is NOW in UK, but things are changing and changing worldwide, it would seem. I have seen pics of these security fobs and cards on sites from HK, and even Poland.

So, depending on where you are in the world (and dont get have an accomdation address in your home country) then propare for changes !!!!

Penkoprod

That is not how I log on in the UK.

Input Internet banking number (which is IB followed by your customer number).

Then input date of birth followed by 3 random numbers from a six digit security code.

Kasikorn Bank uses OTP (one time password) sent by sms for making paying payments 9and some other functions).

I just checked the internet banking site for UK and it says in relation to these security devices:

If you don't have one already and you use HSBC Personal Internet Banking regularly, we'll tell you about the upgrade to your Personal Internet Banking security including your HSBC Secure Key in the coming months. You don't have to do anything. Until then, just log on as normal.

1991428.jpg

Penkoprod

I have been using one of these HSBC key fob type security systems for more than four years. Banking out of Kuala Lumpur.

• 1 month later...

Well, i got mine today, and activated it.

First usage is a bit strange, but OK after that

I can see some "squeeky bum" times for some people, though, as the key itself looks and feels a little flimsy. Not too bad, but i thought it would be more robust than it is (made in China, too!!!!) If it stops working 10,000 KMs from home then the fun will start, lol !!!!!

You can actually feel the backs of some of the buttons on the underside of it, for instance. Its got a cheap lanyard with a 6cm keyring on the end. THAT's coming off, thats for sure !!!!

I don't think it was made to be portable, cause its too thick to fit in a card compartment, so its not something you can carry around...probably no bad thing, in case of loss, and the pain of getting a replacement

Better get used to it, as i reckon most, if not all other banks will have similar soon enough...if they don't already

HSBC STILL use that awful rapport software though, which i thought would be replaced by this key

Penkoprod

Hi Penkoprod, I've never heard of these devices before, I know they are for UK HSBC customers but out of interest how do they work? Do they connect with your PC? is it wired, bluetooth, wifi? What's the advantage over manual entry of a PIN?

I'm in the dark ages, stuff changes so quickly!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

It might have been said already, but I am really pissed off with having to carry 3 different security devices from HSBC with me. One for a UK HSBC business account (actually my aunt's personal account that I operate under a Deputyship), a similar dinky oval one for my HSBC Thai personal bank account and now a completely different type for my UK personal HSBC account.

HSBC's claims to be a global bank sure ring hollow!! Particularly when I put it together with the fact that I have to write the same message to HSBC BKK every month - 'please look at the significant balances I have in my UK HSBC Premier account and then reverse the 2,000 baht charge you have just made'. Tiresome.

1991428.jpg

Penkoprod

I have been using one of these HSBC key fob type security systems for more than four years. Banking out of Kuala Lumpur.

Have to say I prefer the smaller one in the picture here. I've used one for years with another bank. It comes with a key ring so easy to carry around. I also have the calculator/card style one with another bank - much less convenient to carry around or take with you when travelling. Result: I use the bank with the keyring more :)

For both it's worth noting you can log in, and see balances without either. You just can't do any transactions :)

Hi Penkoprod, I've never heard of these devices before, I know they are for UK HSBC customers but out of interest how do they work? Do they connect with your PC? is it wired, bluetooth, wifi? What's the advantage over manual entry of a PIN?

I'm in the dark ages, stuff changes so quickly!

Cheers

Those are some very good questions, and ones that i can't help you with, other than to say they don't connect to your PC, and i cant see any antenna to indicate any wireless connectivity.

Going on a rough and basic (VERY rough and basic) series of tests using the damned thing, i *think" each IB number is issued with a block of random 6 figure passwords (is password the right thing to say, with there being only numbers? ;) ) which are probably all stored on the HSBC server and you need to generate one each time. Some i have generated were the same numbers...even logging on days apart.

IMO, there is ZERO advantage in it, as it still needs a "three stage login, as before. Plus the added "fun" of code generation with this card thing They just changed the DOB question to one you input yourself.

There are, however certain disadvantages, as others have noted. Lack of portability being one. The key fob one is much better

The worst one, however is what happens if the bloody thing stops working 10,000 clicks from the "mother ship"

Password stored in ones head are more reliable than those stored on a piece of circuitury, encased in plastic and made in China. And you STILL have to remember the PIN for the card to generate this "random number"

Other than that, i am flummoxed (Nothing new, there then !!!! :cheesy: )

Penkoprod

The worst one, however is what happens if the bloody thing stops working 10,000 clicks from the "mother ship"

Password stored in ones head are more reliable than those stored on a piece of circuitury, encased in plastic and made in China. And you STILL have to remember the PIN for the card to generate this "random number"

Other than that, i am flummoxed (Nothing new, there then !!!! :cheesy: )

Penkoprod

What we Nationwiders do is wait a month or two and then tell NW that it's broken. They send us another one so we then have a spare. Sorry for mentioning the 'N' word. I'll slink off now :crazy:

Edited by endure