Ford Focus Or?

Ynwa

I would also look at the resale value. Honda and Toyota hold theirs, other do not

A myth

When you keep cars for a long time, resale value is not an issue.

When we sold our Accord it was 15 years old. They gave us 190,000 baht. You can pick up a 15 year old Accord right now for anywhere between 180,000 to 280,000, depending on the model, etc. That's about as much as you'll get for any other car.

@kurnell Thanks for your advice. I'm aware of the high resale value the Toyotas and Hondas in Thailand. But I'm actually looking more into comfort and safety. I doubt I'll be changing anytime soon at least for the next 5 years or so? But one will never know. haha. Thanks once again.

@Gaary A Yup. The diesel somehow feels so much smoother. I've never actually driven diesel engine cars until to LOS and did the test drives. The roads, curbs and especially floods were taken into consideration too. That was part of the reason I took a look at the Pajero Sport! I guess you'll be going for an SUV-like vehicle in the near future then?

Whichever of the 2 cars I'm gonna get, I'm sure it will be brilliant. Based on the reviews and inputs of the very knowledgeable people here, I'm already very confident even before owning 1!

I wouldn't get a Mitsubishi. Over a not very long time, it'll get loud. They make good TVs though.

100% resale value for Honda & Toyota always higher than Ford. Also take note New Ford Focus will launch either Q4 BKK motor show or Q1 2012.

Honda makes crap tin cans.

Toyota Fortuners are pick up trucks with more seats and their cars are taxis.

What is the price for a 5 year old Focus vs a 5 year old Altis?

A 2.0 Focus sells for the same price as a 1.8 Altis. The most a Toyota or a Honda will hold at 5 years over, say a 1.8 Focus is 80-90,000 baht more. Max.

The older the car, that 80,000 baht difference disappears.

Maybe the English don't like to own cars for more than 3 or 4 years and that's why they are so concerned over resale value, but after 10+ years, who cares really?

Honda makes inferior cars. Toyota makes OK cars that you wouldn't want to own.

Edited by thaicruze

A 2.0 Focus sells for the same price as a 1.8 Altis. The most a Toyota or a Honda will hold at 5 years over, say a 1.8 Focus is 80-90,000 baht more. Max.

New the Altis 2.0 and the Civic 2.0 cost 180,000 baht more than the Focus 2.0..

The new Mazda 3 now is the same price, makes the Focus look very cheap, but one wonders if the 'new' Focus will not also be this price? therefore the present Focus is a good deal.

The new Lancer EX is also the same price as the Altis, Civic, Mazda 3..

Also coming soon is the all new Nissan Sunny, the last one built was 200k cheaper than the Altis of the same year.

As for Focus v Altis of say 2005/6 both appear to be about the same price today 2nd hand = the Ford has held it value much better than the Toyota.. back then in 2005/6 the Focus was still as today 180k cheaper than the Altis

I had a new model diesel focus on hire for a couple of weeks whilst on holiday in UK last month,, a quiet enough car to drive and looked ok and economical driving,, but in LOS as a previous poster was saying , the roads are not quite so good as they should be with a few pot holes around, I have a Vigo and am happy with that, but I tested a Ford Everest Ltd edition a couple of months back and was impressed by the small car type feel to it,, very roomy inside with plenty of accessories.

100% resale value for Honda & Toyota always higher than Ford. Also take note New Ford Focus will launch either Q4 BKK motor show or Q1 2012.

Honda makes crap tin cans.

Toyota Fortuners are pick up trucks with more seats and their cars are taxis.

What is the price for a 5 year old Focus vs a 5 year old Altis?

The older the car, that 80,000 baht difference disappears.

Maybe the English don't like to own cars for more than 3 or 4 years and that's why they are so concerned over resale value, but after 10+ years, who cares really?

Honda makes inferior cars. Toyota makes OK cars that you wouldn't want to own.

Honda certainly dont build inferior cars ;) In fact i would rate honda and toyota as the best of the Jap range. I am not a lover of the fortuna so agree with your there.

as to resale and time to PX a car...I have over 30 years in the motor trade, and at one time was shipping over 30 new cars a month out, in my life I have OWNED 2 new, brand new, vehicles. one in the USA and one here. in the Uk i would never dream of it. BUT.. here, once you make the almighty donation for the first new car, as long as you look after it it holds its value , it has a goo long warranty with full free service (nearly). if you dotn live in the middle of BKK a vehicle is essential, and to replace it every three years will cost you around ( approx) 200K plus your old car. thats a good deal and keeps you in a reliable car I think

in fact i wonder how Isuzu ever sell that Clacking Engine

Unlike all the rest Isuzu is chain driven.

Must explain the "Clacking Engine" then

That engine may be a clacker, but it will clack longer than most of the others.

I would also look at the resale value. Honda and Toyota hold theirs, other do not

A myth

When we sold our Accord it was 15 years old. They gave us 190,000 baht. You can pick up a 15 year old Accord right now for anywhere between 180,000 to 280,000, depending on the model, etc. That's about as much as you'll get for any other car.

Wrong. Thais will pay more for a used Honda or Toyota as they are more in demand. Have a look at any used car website or Thanachart Blue Book

This is very persistent.. What chain, where? If you open the bonnet of an Isuzu truck there's belts to the dynamo and god-knows-what, just like in any other car or truck?

This is very persistent.. What chain, where? If you open the bonnet of an Isuzu truck there's belts to the dynamo and god-knows-what, just like in any other car or truck?

No need to change your Cam belt as it is a chain :D

unlike the problem with the 2000 model Ranger when the cam belt broke all to often well before the recommended by Ford belt change = many had to have a new engine = many now driving around with 2nd hand petrol units, as they could not afford to buy a new diesel engine

Edited by ignis

• 3 weeks later...

A myth

Wrong. Thais will pay more for a used Honda or Toyota as they are more in demand. Have a look at any used car website or Thanachart Blue Book

I also find it interesting in Pattaya at least a new Honda City rents for 40% more than it's Toyota competitor (Vios) and that if from the same rental company. I agree Honda and Toyota will maintain their value better than others.

My roommate has a Ford Focus. It's his 3rd car. First was a Vios--nice car. He then got a Chevy Optra (1.8). He had some problems with it while under warranty and decided to get rid of it--I inherited it. Never had a problem and it's a nice car.

He now has a Ford Focus. He drives a lot everyday and it has been extremely reliable. He complains about the gas mileage, but then he drives like he's in a Formula 1 race.

No need to change your Cam belt as it is a chain :D

unlike the problem with the 2000 model Ranger when the cam belt broke all to often well before the recommended by Ford belt change = many had to have a new engine = many now driving around with 2nd hand petrol units, as they could not afford to buy a new diesel engine

In fairness to Ford it must be said they did play fair and honoured the warranty if it was serviced by them,they even fixed low mileage ones if over the time period.