A Question About Gifts

carrera66

In answer to the OP's question, I wouldn't send anything other than your good wishes. Anything other than a simple letter through the mail from a foreign country only has a 50% chance of getting to its destination. Never, never, never overwhelm a Thai woman with gifts. It sets a dangerous president and might be expected should the romance continue in the furture. Anything we might say here about your situation with this woman is purely speculation, because none of us know the facts. There are true diamonds scattered amongst a room full of fake jewelry.

Apart from anything else in your post Ian, is there anthing remotely like schematic? or emperical evidence in regard to the 50% record of the Thai postal service, you may be right, although it is not my experience, just wondering how you have come to the conclusion?

I am having a little giggle really, but it would be good to know, as any evidence could influence my decisions on future postal transactions.

I'm just going by personal experience, Mossy. I used to mail stuff all the time to Thailand and very little seemed to reach its destination by regular mail. I finally gave up. But, almost everything I mailed OUT of Thailand gets to where it is sent. I send letters and small gifts that fit in envelopes to my grand kids in Canada and they always seem to get there. But, if I send small gifts FROM CANADA to the kids I support in Kanchanaburi they hardly ever get there. There have been all sorts of discussions on thaivisa about mail delivery and there is a broad spectrum of answers. I think it has to do with individual post offices and the staff there. Some are good and some aren't. I know that SOME mail must get through because when I visit a Thai post office in Chiang Mai the place is full of people sending parcels and mail. If it didn't get through then I doubt if Thais would mail anything. Mostly I just send photos now and they seem to make it.

But, that is a separate issue from what the OP is asking. I think he should go slowly until he has actually met the woman and spent some time with her.