Health Care In The Uk

ThaiPauly

I needed an operation for cancer back in 2006, and I can say that the work up to the op was excellent, lots of MRI, CT and Bone scans etc. The op was OK too/ However, the hospital ( major London NHS hospital ) stay was a nightmare with just plain BAD staff. That I survived without contracting a disease from the filthy toilet facilities was luck. Another patient had the same op as me on same day, and when I saw him a week after, he had developed a wound infection. IMO everything except the hospital stay was excellent. As a registered nurse of over 20 years service, I was horrified with my care. Won't go into it more now, but you'd be better off in a good Thai hospital.

I too had cancer treatment at St Batholemews Hospital in London.

I have to admit that I was a private patient, but was treated alongside the NHS

patients for radiotherapy. I cannot fault the attitude or attention of

the staff in any way.

Post operative infection is a risk in any hospital, in any country,

sad to say.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it is very sad what has happened to the UK, 100 years ago we virtually ran the world now look at the state of the place, my friends we are better off here enjoying a relatively peaceful life. I have no problem trying to fit in with the Thais and they seem to accept me too. If I wre back home I would be having to fit in with rif raf they have acquired because they wont fit in with the locals, I have fond memories of what was once my but, this is my home now and no regrets.

Even the nostalgia's not what it used to be...

I blame it on decimalisation and colour television.

SC

But a day out on one of the many excellent preserved private railways takes you back to fond memories, all the customers are just like me and you British born and bred! Nice picture you have there too!

:D Like many of you,I am registered at a practice I have always used in the UK and registered with another doctor 5 years ago as the previous one I had had left.I use my daughters address and have had no problems getting to see my doctor.One thing to remember if you get refused for some reason is that GPs get a payment for everyone on thier list so if you lived here for ten years and suddenly get refused then they have been getting money for you under false pretenses!! I mean if a person does not see a doctor for say two years then the practice should ascertain wether you still live at that address?

Something else you should be aware of is that last year everybody on a doctors patient list was sent a letter to ask if they could put your information onto the national data base, (or whatever it is called). If you did not reply to this letter in a timely fashion, questions would be asked at the doctor's surgey where you are a patient. I know, because it happened to me. I just asked the doctor if he would like to pop down to my house for a cup of tea, to prove I was still resident in the UK.

Alan

You've got this one wrong sir.......you are treated by your local NHS district ( board ). They work on very tight and limited budgets, they are entitled to know that you are their financial responsibility, and not the next districts.

Each NHS board has the flexibility to spend it's funds according to the needs of the LOCAL POPULATION !! For example, there may be a need for more cardiac units in Glasgow, but a need for more geriatric care in Bournemouth. The local board decides what capital projects are necessary, and where the funding should go. Your an example of the kind of person that the NHS comes across every day, "Fast with an opinion, Slow with the Facts".

So in future just respond to the letter requiring up to date info on you, and don't get smart mouthed with over-worked doctors.

What on earth are you on about?

If you had read my posting properly, you would know that the letter I am refering to asked if I would allow my medical records to be put on a national register, when there were grave reservations about its confidentiality. It did not want any up to date information on me, and had no impact on funding, as it was irrelevant where I lived in England.

My GP told me that he also refused to have his details stored on such a system.

Maybe you should read the lines written, and not imagine what might be in the space between them.

Alan

Something else you should be aware of is that last year everybody on a doctors patient list was sent a letter to ask if they could put your information onto the national data base, (or whatever it is called). If you did not reply to this letter in a timely fashion, questions would be asked at the doctor's surgey where you are a patient. I know, because it happened to me. I just asked the doctor if he would like to pop down to my house for a cup of tea, to prove I was still resident in the UK.

Alan

You've got this one wrong sir.......you are treated by your local NHS district ( board ). They work on very tight and limited budgets, they are entitled to know that you are their financial responsibility, and not the next districts.

Each NHS board has the flexibility to spend it's funds according to the needs of the LOCAL POPULATION !! For example, there may be a need for more cardiac units in Glasgow, but a need for more geriatric care in Bournemouth. The local board decides what capital projects are necessary, and where the funding should go. Your an example of the kind of person that the NHS comes across every day, "Fast with an opinion, Slow with the Facts".

So in future just respond to the letter requiring up to date info on you, and don't get smart mouthed with over-worked doctors.

If you had read my posting properly, you would know that the letter I am refering to asked if I would allow my medical records to be put on a national register, when there were grave reservations about its confidentiality. It did not want any up to date information on me, and had no impact on funding, as it was irrelevant where I lived in England.

Maybe you should read the lines written, and not imagine what might be in the space between them.

Alan

I suppose he was confused at the non sequitor in the final sentence. I don't really see how being chatty with the doctor or proving that you live in th UK is relevant to confidentiality of your personal data.

Maybe you should have spaced your points out on different lines, to allow us to differentiate between them.

Anyway, other than your affable comment to the doctor on your residency, it appears your post, and mine, are completely irrelevant to this thread, and I apologise on both our behalves to any gentle reader who has soldiered through this far searching for relevance

SC

She then told me that when you reach 65 ( might soon be 66 ) you will get everything back on the NHS (though nothing out here, dam_n)

Not from April next year we won't.

I know a few over 65's who regularly fly back to the UK for treatment. They won't get it free after that unless they can provide a utility statement with thier name on it, or be prepared to have thier passports checked, but there again they might not have to worry as the doctors clinis they visit will just assume they are resident, but for anyone else (like me) it will be very difficult unless I take my flat back from the rental agents, I suppose I will just have to wait and see what the situation is when I am 66, which I am in no hurry to rush to ;)

Also if you were born after April 1954 you have to wait till you are 66 to get the state pension, but don't worry about that because it will be frozen at the rate it is when you retire :ph34r:

I will miss out by 3 months :(

She then told me that when you reach 65 ( might soon be 66 ) you will get everything back on the NHS (though nothing out here, dam_n)

Not from April next year we won't.

I know a few over 65's who regularly fly back to the UK for treatment. They won't get it free after that unless they can provide a utility statement with thier name on it, or be prepared to have thier passports checked, but there again they might not have to worry as the doctors clinis they visit will just assume they are resident, but for anyone else (like me) it will be very difficult unless I take my flat back from the rental agents, I suppose I will just have to wait and see what the situation is when I am 66, which I am in no hurry to rush to ;)

Also if you were born after April 1954 you have to wait till you are 66 to get the state pension, but don't worry about that because it will be frozen at the rate it is when you retire :ph34r:

I will miss out by 3 months :(

They will keep changing the goalposts and its there ball too, so heads they win, tails you lose.

I needed an operation for cancer back in 2006, and I can say that the work up to the op was excellent, lots of MRI, CT and Bone scans etc. The op was OK too/ However, the hospital ( major London NHS hospital ) stay was a nightmare with just plain BAD staff. That I survived without contracting a disease from the filthy toilet facilities was luck. Another patient had the same op as me on same day, and when I saw him a week after, he had developed a wound infection. IMO everything except the hospital stay was excellent. As a registered nurse of over 20 years service, I was horrified with my care. Won't go into it more now, but you'd be better off in a good Thai hospital.

I too had cancer treatment at St Batholemews Hospital in London.

I have to admit that I was a private patient, but was treated alongside the NHS

patients for radiotherapy. I cannot fault the attitude or attention of

the staff in any way.

Post operative infection is a risk in any hospital, in any country,

sad to say.

I did some agency work there several times. It was probably one of the better hospitals I worked at, and as a private patient you would have better room facilities than the NHS ones.

Post operative infection is a potential risk, and can be all but eliminated by good dressing technique and properly cleaned facilities. In my stay, both were lacking. To say the rooms and lockers were filthy would be an understatement. The so called "nurses" doing my dressing were an embarrasment to the trade.

IMO caused by too many incompetent managers, not enough nurses and poor nurse training.

ive been out of uk for 18months(in los)back home now went to doctors yesterday,for top up of tablets issued in thailand,told her i lived in thailand,but she insisted i come in for a check up,think she wants me to stay here lol,

They get paid a fee if they give you a check up.

Before I moved out here I went to the doctors for the necessary jabs. Thought I would mention the fact that I was moving over here and asked if I would need to be taken off of their register. The surgery managers reply was yes. But only if you tell us. They not only get paid a fee if they check you over. They also get paid by number of patients registered with them.

I think the problem might arise now maybe over the census that they had a while back? Anyone any views on that one.

I also am a fully paid up member of the Uk with 44yrs service and still paying taxes, on let property. It annoy's the hell out of me.

jb1

The census is anonymous.

The British government works on a current liabilities basis; today's tax pays today's pensions. So people who paid their tax when there were a lot fewer pensioners than there are now enjoyed a slightly lighter burden than the current UK tax payers.

Middle-aged people in government tend to look kindly on pensioners, since they are more likely to be a pensioner themselves in the future, than to be raising a young family, for example. We should be grateful for all the young Poles and other immigrants willing to come and work in the UK to support our own pensions in the future. If we had any entitlement to such.

Anyway, we get whatever government we vote for and have no-one to blame but ourselves.

SC

Just before I left the UK in 2009 most of the Poles were returning home- no work in the UK.

As for voting for the government- people that voted for so called "new labour" deserve all the *&^%$ that they are getting. I could see what a rotten lot they were when I arrived in 98, and wasn't wrong. As for the housing fiasco, it was obviously going to end in tears, as it has. Gordon was an idiot, selling off the gold at such a low rate- just think what it'd be worth today.

I know from working in the NHS that most of the money brown threw at the NHS was wasted, a lot on more management. My small London hospital created 2 new nurse managers that did basically nothing productive. At the same time, they made less staff do more work.

However, all western governments seem to have sold our future for todays glitter. Tomorrow there will be nowt but tears.

Look at the riots in Greece. They got themselves in the poo, now they think if they can just stop the benefit cuts the money to fund the country will magicaly appear on trees or something.

In New Zealand, apparently 40% of the population are on a benefit of some sort- sheer madness.

The children of the future will curse our generation, and rightly so.

Alan

They don't have total freedom. Certain things are mandated by government, like free GP visits, so every hypochondriac can get free treatment whenever they feel a bit "off", and free prescriptions for over 60s.

It's nice getting freebies, but not paying a few quid for prescriptions just because one turns 60 is barking. Most people are still working till they get the pension, so they should still pay. It's like getting winter fuel allowance, despite not paying for heating, when I turned 60, I kid you not ( I didn't take the allowance, but I bet there are a lot that do ). Free public transport is another. The country can't afford to give freebies to people that are working and can afford to pay for things.

And yet this completely non-thai related thread lives on.

I find your reply strange, as this is obviously a forum frequented by many UK expats who have a vested interest in their health care.

Are you saying that only things that deal with Thailand should be discussed, and nothing that concerns expats LIVING in Thailand?

If it doesn't affect you, why are you even concerned as to how many pixels are consumed by those that it does?

As previously mentioned why on earth do you bother reading it if you have nothing constructive to say.

FYI I am an EX-PAT, LIVING IN THAILAND, who is USING THE THAI HEALTH SYSTEM and WANTS TO KNOW if there are any alternatives.

Good enough for you? :blink:

Thank You :jap:

In fact this thread has been not only very helpful to me but to others also

As previously mentioned why on earth do you bother reading it if you have nothing constructive to say.

FYI I am an EX-PAT, LIVING IN THAILAND, who is USING THE THAI HEALTH SYSTEM and WANTS TO KNOW if there are any alternatives.

I suppose, like so many of us, he likes to stick his nose where its not wanted and offer unhelpful criticism, so that he can feel superior

Whoops - pots and kettles!

SC

I suppose, like so many of us, he likes to stick his nose where its not wanted and offer unhelpful criticism, so that he can feel superior

Whoops - pots and kettles!

SC

Certainly learnt something new so not a waste of time to all who made sensible contributions but there is always a pocket here of smarty pants who really should get out more rather than make unusual remarks or take the p__s. To all of those who correspondents, one day you will need some help from these forums and maybe some retribution will meeted out, silence is golden.

This forum is for the benefit of our members and to be able to gleen information that is important and informative in relation to our status as expats here in Thailand and has always been allowed so long as it is for our benefit.

Discretion has also been sensibly used, especially in health related cases and as this allowed thread demonstrates, provides a variety of useful and worthwhile advice, not only to the O.P., but many others.

Do everyone a favour " nc " and as said, if you cannot offer positive contributions relating to sensitive issues and requested input.....

Respect the reasons for the thread and stay out of the debate / discussion. :annoyed:

Sorry to learn about your health situation T.P. of which you have had many ups and downs over a long period of time.

I,ll PM you with a bit of personal info that may be of use to you.

marshbags :jap:

have you ever thought of ringing doctors surgery were your registered and explain your posistion,they will propaly want you to bring all case notes from los,and depending on your time with the practice,i would think there is no way they would even raise a eyebrow abour your status. ive been three times to see doctor since being home,and ive been living in los for the last 10 years,though i have been with practice fo 25 years and have uk home,but ive hardly ever ever seen there doctors.(in fact receptions asked me how long id been with them as i had no medical details on computor).

Alan

Alan

On the contrary, you should make your postings clearer. You didn't mention anything about " grave reservations" or any other issue of that ilk. You're the one that is guilty of writing one thing and thinking another. Try re-reading your posts before submitting.

My two points stand as stated, to address your nonsense point about " grave reservations " let's look at the only salient question. Why would the NHS want a central register of medical records? Could it be because every single day in life they are treating people blind to their medical history, as the patient has been rushed in to hospital for emergency treatment?

Personally speaking I would much rather the Doctor in charge of my treatment had full access to my current medical record than worry about some cyber terrorist discovering I had a in-grown toe nail in 1963.

Grow up man.

Alan

Alan

On the contrary, you should make your postings clearer. You didn't mention anything about " grave reservations" or any other issue of that ilk. You're the one that is guilty of writing one thing and thinking another. Try re-reading your posts before submitting.

My two points stand as stated, to address your nonsense point about " grave reservations " let's look at the only salient question. Why would the NHS want a central register of medical records? Could it be because every single day in life they are treating people blind to their medical history, as the patient has been rushed in to hospital for emergency treatment?

Personally speaking I would much rather the Doctor in charge of my treatment had full access to my current medical record than worry about some cyber terrorist discovering I had a in-grown toe nail in 1963.

Grow up man.

It would be nice if the system actually worked, but ( as of when I left the NHS ) it was just another new labour waste of money farce. Cost billions ( if I remember rightly ) and didn't work.

The concerns that many people had about being on it were that so many people had access to it, nothing would remain confidential, which is one of the tennants of the patient/ GP relationship. Who would divulge embarrasing info to their Dr if next day at work it was all over the place. The main danger however, would be that insurance companies would gain access to confidential info.

Alan

Alan

Grow up man.

I really should have looked at your user name before replying to your inane posting.

By the way, surely it should be The Bletherer, as "blether" is a verb. If you have received such a limited education, you should concentrate on the more simple postings, otherwise, like here, you will find yourself out of your depth.

Alan