3Rd Puncture In 12 Months

Drew Aitch

Hi Forum.

My motorcycle has just got its third rear wheel puncture this year. The last couple of times it happened when out and about, so I just pushed the bike to one of the nearest side-of-the-road repair outfits. However, this time it must have gone down as I pulled in at home.

So does anyone happen to have a local contact number of a call-out service that replaces inner tubes?

Thanks in advance

Aitch

the nearest side of the road repair guys will come to your residence and fix it

Thanks very much Dante99 that's useful to know. I'll be on the local look-out tomorrow then. The down side is that most of these side-of-the-road repairers don't seem to setup until after dark. There's no mad rush, but in the meantime, if anyone has a phone number that would be useful. If not, never mind, i know what do do instead ;)

Thanks once again.

Aitch

the nearest side of the road repair guys will come to your residence and fix it

Thanks very much Dante99 that's useful to know. I'll be on the local look-out tomorrow then. The down side is that most of these side-of-the-road repairers don't seem to setup until after dark. There's no mad rush, but in the meantime, if anyone has a phone number that would be useful. If not, never mind, i know what do do instead ;)

Thanks once again.

Aitch

I tried that in Doi Saket and they wouldn't come the two kms. to my house. They insisted I bring the bike to them. But I don't speak Thai.

Ensure you keep tyre pressure up, I check air pressure weekly. Combined with the advice above on getting the most expensive tyres, I've not - touch wood - had a puncture for at least a year now.

I have a number for one of the mobile guys at my office, but I think he only works in central chiang mai. I will see if I can find it tmw.

My bike uses slightly non-standard size tires so I keep a spare tube under the seat. I don't repair punctures I replace the tube every time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone ;)

The last 2 punctures I've had, were replaced with Korean made Inner tubes as opposed to Thai. There were a bit more expensive, but still cheap. They did feel much thicker and heavier than the locally made options though. Even so, I've had a bad run with flat tires recently :( Btw, I wouldn't repair a motorcycle inner tube either. As for the tires, they're nothing special (Honda's own), but i think they're okay for a city runabout.

Anyway, it's been p*ssing it down since yesterday afternoon so I've not been out and about looking for nearby repair services. I think there are some hole-in-the-wall shops between Canal Rd and Nimmanhaemin (my neck of the woods), and the nearest roadside guys are further into town around the moat.

If I can't get a number, I'll pay some fit young fella to push the bike to whenever. If I do manage to get hold of a call-out service for Chiang Mai city, then I'll post it in this thread in case others might want to jot it down.

Cheers for now

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

No there is a call out guy opposite the milk zone if he is not there the number is on the post i did have his card i was looking for it last night for you but i could not find it i will drive down in a bit .

Thanks for that rakchaingmai ;-)

Excuse my ignorance, but is the Milk Zone that you talk about the dairy place a little further down from the Zoo on the opposite side of the road?

Cheers

Aitch

THe brand/make of the tire won't matter that much if you are having problems with punctures. If you run over a nail, its going to go through any make of tire. On the other hand, you will have less problems with slow leaks, cracked sidewalls, etc.

Seems like you are having a streak of badluck.

Thanks for the feedback everyone ;)

The last 2 punctures I've had, were replaced with Korean made Inner tubes as opposed to Thai. There were a bit more expensive, but still cheap. They did feel much thicker and heavier than the locally made options though. Even so, I've had a bad run with flat tires recently :( Btw, I wouldn't repair a motorcycle inner tube either. As for the tires, they're nothing special (Honda's own), but i think they're okay for a city runabout.

Anyway, it's been p*ssing it down since yesterday afternoon so I've not been out and about looking for nearby repair services. I think there are some hole-in-the-wall shops between Canal Rd and Nimmanhaemin (my neck of the woods), and the nearest roadside guys are further into town around the moat.

If I can't get a number, I'll pay some fit young fella to push the bike to whenever. If I do manage to get hold of a call-out service for Chiang Mai city, then I'll post it in this thread in case others might want to jot it down.

Cheers for now

Aitch

Drew ---

Out of curiosity do you have spoked wheels? I had frequent punctures a year+ ago but finally changed my rims and haven't had a flat since. It seems as if one of the spokes was pushing through the thin rubber strip that is inside and getting the tube. It was kinda rare but I got the flats (I think) simply due to rough road surfaces AND hitting those rough spots just right (!) on occasion.

THe brand/make of the tire won't matter that much if you are having problems with punctures. If you run over a nail, its going to go through any make of tire. On the other hand, you will have less problems with slow leaks, cracked sidewalls, etc.

Well put CMSteve. I think the moral here is that quality inner tubes and tyres have the potential to give safer punctures, and that's nothing to be sneezed at if one values ones life.

Seems like you are having a streak of badluck.

You're not wrong there. It might be worth adding that 2 flat tires early last year occurred almost immediately after, how shall i put it, okay, after a couple of quite heavy mates climbed on the back seat when i offered them a lift somewhere. I no longer offer lifts on the runabout unless someone is really stuck for a ride ;) In fact, i think it should be illegal for big blokes to ride as pillion passengers on any motorcycle under 400cc. I say this not as a prejudice but purely as a thing of safety. Anyone who's had these big lads on the back seat of a 125cc during heavy traffic will know what i mean ;)

The above might sound a little daft in a country that often sees a tiny scooter transporting Mum, Dad, 2 kids, a baby, and a dog in the basket, but hey, we can only take responsibility for ourselves right!

Aitch

Drew ---

Out of curiosity do you have spoked wheels? I had frequent punctures a year+ ago but finally changed my rims and haven't had a flat since. It seems as if one of the spokes was pushing through the thin rubber strip that is inside and getting the tube. It was kinda rare but I got the flats (I think) simply due to rough road surfaces AND hitting those rough spots just right (!) on occasion.

Hi jdinasia. Yes, i have spoked wheels. The strange thing is that every single puncture I've had has been in the rear wheel, and also, even after replacing inner tubes, it's always been the rear tyre that needs a top-up of air each month. This is making me wonder if there might be a spoke issue as you've pointed out above. Whenever the inner tubes are replaced, there repairer will always check the inside rim is clear of objects, but perhaps a slightly lose or bent spoke is pushing in after inflation. Interesting, and probably worth checking out.

Thanks for the info

Aitch

Drew ---

Hi jdinasia. Yes, i have spoked wheels. The strange thing is that every single puncture I've had has been in the rear wheel, and also, even after replacing inner tubes, it's always been the rear tyre that needs a top-up of air each month. This is making me wonder if there might be a spoke issue as you've pointed out above. Whenever the inner tubes are replaced, there repairer will always check the inside rim is clear of objects, but perhaps a slightly lose or bent spoke is pushing in after inflation. Interesting, and probably worth checking out.

Thanks for the info

Aitch

Or the fat guys on the back (you mention above) are causing the issue with the spoke(s) and that wouldn't show to any casual inspection. (with the tire off and tube out you can't put weight on the back wheel to test it!)

I am thinking about changing wheels again to mags, I think some can take solid tires (tubeless) but I'd need one of the bike gearheads to confirm :)

Edited by jdinasia

I have Honda

Buy cheap tyre and many punctures

Buy tyre from Honda and very few puncture

Don't need to speak Thai

Yang See-a = tyre broken

Ow Yang nai mai =want new tube

Always back tyre puncture, always have weight, front tyre nothing.

Edited by OlafStapleton

Ref: Milk Zone: Yes it is and here are the numbers on the post 089262571 , 0848083817 , 0858275450. no names sorry.

That's great rakchaingmai, thanks for the contacts ;) I was going to pop out for a gander after 18:00 but now perhaps i wont have to. I'll post back with any results about the service and cost.

I think this has been quite an informative thread covering tyre maintenance, puncture prevention, and repair services. Thanks one and all for your contributions.

Aitch[/size]

I think the call out service is expensive about 150 baht for the inner tube and not irc which is the best quality .

sometimes it can be the outside tire that has a problem it pinches the inside tire making you get lots of punctures (flats) you need to buy IRC brand from B dar or sang chai motors if that is the case don't let the guy give you a bad quality outside tire .

Yang nok - outside tire

Yang nai - inner tube

khun ble-un yang nai noi krap - can you change the inner tube please

Hi Everyone.

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested. I got someone to come over to replace the inner tube this afternoon. Once I strolled out into the neighbourhood, it wasn't long before I saw one of those hole-in-the-wall motorcycle repair shops. I asked at the first one I came to and a lad was sent over promptly. He brought with him a couple of spanners, whipped off the wheel, and took it back to the shop. In less than 30 minutes the new tube was in and the bike ready to go. They assured me I had a quality tube which I think is the IRC brand that rakchaingmai spoke of above.

Total cost, including call-out was 240 Baht. I don't know and I don't care if it could have been done cheaper elsewhere, because it is inexpensive enough for me and a job well done. The fella in the shop said all these outfits would send someone to any home providing the distance is not too great and they're not too busy.

Most of these repair shops, he said, will be open 7 days a week from around 08:00 - 19:00. They're not always easy to spot unless you're looking for them, but apparently they're never too many sois apart, and sometimes in the longer sois, there might even be a couple.

Oh, just before I go, there was some talk here about spokes being a potential cause of punctures, but in this case it was a nail. The boy brought it back with him and showed it off like an angler might hold up his prize catch :) He Then flicked it onto the tarmac somewhere, probably hoping to reel in another customer before the days end!!!

Cheers

Aitch

since we're on the topic-late night service-

across from gekko restaurant on the other side of kampangdinrd looking south you can see a sawhorse with an old tire on it where the guy will fix you flat til about 2 am if i understood him right.this just for the people that find theirs flat when they want to go home at night....

rolleyes.gif

here some advice . the problem might be the Wheel instead of the inner tube ..

when is the last time you replace your rubber wheel .

i use the brand " IRC " but there is many good brand out there . and also the right size of the inner tube is very importance .

and one trick .. i forget where i did it but i recall one shop cut a old inner tube . and then add it as a cushion on top of the new inner tube i replace ..

the last time i change my inner tube is like 2 years gao