4Th Of July Party

lukeskywalker

It's getting very close to time of the wonderful 4th o'July party, yet I've not seen one banner or piece of advertisement anywhere on tickets, prices, etc. Not too smart to throw such a big shindig and not advertise it.

Anyone know where I can get info? Is there a website?

THX

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Website here

From State Department;

We’re very pleased that Creative Kingdom, under the leadership of CEO Eduardo Robles, has stepped up to the challenge. On July 4, 2011, Creative Kingdom is organizing a day of Americana at the Chiang Mai municipal stadium with music, dancing and fireworks. There will also be all-American food such as hot dogs, barbecued chicken and tacos catered by local restaurants. While we might not be lucky enough to be in the U.S. for July 4, the community picnic will again make you feel like you’re there.

Last year's "all-you-can-eat" deal lead to very long lines and lots of mean-spirited bitching afterwards, so I don't blame the sponsors for dropping it. I agree that with the benefit of hindsight things could have been better arranged, but you never have the benefit of hindsight when you try something new.

The webpage doesn't mention fireworks, I hope they will be part of the festivities.

It's not a problem, but I'm curious about the requirement to show a passport unless you are a Thai national, in which case you need an ID card. Is that a security precaution or just a way to prevent underage drinking? I'm not in the habit of carrying my passport with me; if the requirement is to prevent underage drinking, can I show some other form of ID and my old, ugly face?

i saw this poster about an event in nim city rimping the other day

enjoy ... dave2

That Chicken and Fish Nugget sounds delicious :D

Website here

From State Department;

We're very pleased that Creative Kingdom, under the leadership of CEO Eduardo Robles, has stepped up to the challenge. On July 4, 2011, .

I thought food was included last year ?

And what about the Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper ?

Last year's "all-you-can-eat" deal lead to very long lines and lots of mean-spirited bitching afterwards, so I don't blame the sponsors for dropping it.

how about those who by choice, health or otherwise, can not partake meat, fish et al....

any provision for those minority.... pls?

Thanks for the update, looking forward to introducing my Thai kids, and Yai too, to a bit of Americana (besides TV - lol) and celebrating with some other Yanks. Happy to buy them a dog or two if they what one (and perhaps for Yai too if there's no som tum - lolx2) See ya all there!

I want to officially welcome all Thai Forum Visa forum members to the event and to ask any questions you may have concerning the event; I will try to answer your questions here in this forum string.

Firstly... Creative Kingdom would like to invite one and all in Chiang Mai to the annual 4th of July USA Independence Day Celebration, please see the event web site at:

http://www.4julychia...achiangmai.com/

An entry ticket will get you the opportunity to buy some good eats from THE DUKE'S RESTAURANT, MIGUEL'S CAFE, & THE STEAK HOUSE... there will also be music, dancing and entertainment all day, games, thousands of dollars of prizes in our raffle, fireworks, and we will once again be presenting a mini entertainment area for all the children. Come out and enjoy this most American of celebrations.

We would like to thank everyone for their past and future participation at this event.

TICKETS WILL BE ON SALE AT THE GATE the day-of, and are also currently AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT "THE DUKE'S" & "MIGUEL'S CAFE" <Hangdon>.

We would like to thank event sponsors COCA-COLA, SINGHA, THE DUKE'S, MIGUEL'S CAFE, & THE STEAK HOUSE for all of their generous support this year.

Kind regards to all and we hope to see you there!!

I thought food was included last year ?

And what about the Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper ?

Mr. McCollum, you are correct, last year the food was indeed included in the ticket price, but several challenges arose that prompted this to be changed this year, so the entry ticket price has been lowered accordingly this year.

Unfortunately, due to many circumstances out of our control, the outstanding beverage selection, which the VFW Post staff was able to secure over the last two years, will not be available. We are a private business without a lot of the special previliged connections that were available previously for this event.

We hope this will not deter folks from attending.

-CKGUY

Last year's "all-you-can-eat" deal lead to very long lines and lots of mean-spirited bitching afterwards, so I don't blame the sponsors for dropping it. I agree that with the benefit of hindsight things could have been better arranged, but you never have the benefit of hindsight when you try something new.

Yes we all have the advantage of hindsight now, but we would like to thank the VFW Post for all of their hard volunteer work the last few years; trying to put this event on and pleasing everyone is next to impossible. The VFW post have kindly assisted us greatly this year with input on all aspects of the event over the last few years, including lessons learned. Again, we hope all come out and enjoy the day!

The webpage doesn't mention fireworks, I hope they will be part of the festivities.

Yes, of course there will be FIREWORKS!!!

It's not a problem, but I'm curious about the requirement to show a passport unless you are a Thai national, in which case you need an ID card. Is that a security precaution or just a way to prevent underage drinking? I'm not in the habit of carrying my passport with me; if the requirement is to prevent underage drinking, can I show some other form of ID and my old, ugly face?

The requirement of showing a passport (US & foreign citizens) and ID (Thai citizens) is for SECURITY purposes. Although there is always a concern with underage drinking this is not the main reason for an ID/Passport check. If folks show up without proper ID, entry into the event may be denied. We thank everyone in advance for their patience and understanding in this matter.

Website here

From State Department;

We’re very pleased that Creative Kingdom, under the leadership of CEO Eduardo Robles, has stepped up to the challenge. On July 4, 2011, Creative Kingdom is organizing a day of Americana at the Chiang Mai municipal stadium with music, dancing and fireworks. There will also be all-American food such as hot dogs, barbecued chicken and tacos catered by local restaurants. While we might not be lucky enough to be in the U.S. for July 4, the community picnic will again make you feel like you’re there.

If the event makes the State Department's approval list, I think I'll just get on my bike and go for a nice long ride instead. biggrin.gif

David

American by birth. Texan by the grace of God.

Website here

From State Department;

We're very pleased that Creative Kingdom, under the leadership of CEO Eduardo Robles, has stepped up to the challenge. On July 4, 2011, Creative Kingdom is organizing a day of Americana at the Chiang Mai municipal stadium with music, dancing and fireworks. There will also be all-American food such as hot dogs, barbecued chicken and tacos catered by local restaurants. While we might not be lucky enough to be in the U.S. for July 4, the community picnic will again make you feel like you're there.

If the event makes the State Department's approval list, I think I'll just get on my bike and go for a nice long ride instead. biggrin.gif

David

American by birth. Texan by the grace of God.

Traditionally, the U.S. embassies and consul offices around the world have offered a 4th of July party for resident U.S. citizens, often on their grounds. Since 9/11 these celebrations have migrated off-site and been been expanded to include the larger community. The "State Department approval list" is nothing new.

I'll miss the ability to buy ice-cold Coors beer, but otherwise am very glad that the Creative Kingdom is continuing this event. I plan to go with an open mind. I hope it all works out well and that the VFW is willing to have some limiited involvement in future 4th of July celebrations so we can all enjoy Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew and Coors next year.

Edited by NancyL

Sounds great!

With all the craziness going on in the world, it will be nice for people to bring their loved ones and to share in a proud day for Americans around the world.

I think with a positive outlook and a desire to meet and greet friends new and old, it will end up being a great day.

Nice to see the Dukes there. Food reviews aside, they are a very meaningful American establishment in Chiang Mai and a very good member of the community at-large.

The very best of luck to you guys and congratulations on being big enough to examine last years shortcomings and try a different way forward. I hope you all have a great day!

Thank you! We are just hoping all come and have a good time... we are not event planners or anything of the sort, but we wanted to make sure that the 4th of July was celebrated here in CM. CK felt it a shame that the event might be cancelled, so we took the torch. We have read and listened to all who had concerns and issues, and we are doing our best to try and address the issues. I can't say that everything will be absolutely perfect, but I can say we will do our best to try and make it happen.

I hope all, as Millwall_Fan says, come out and have a great day!

-CKGUY

Sounds great!

With all the craziness going on in the world, it will be nice for people to bring their loved ones and to share in a proud day for Americans around the world.

I think with a positive outlook and a desire to meet and greet friends new and old, it will end up being a great day.

Nice to see the Dukes there. Food reviews aside, they are a very meaningful American establishment in Chiang Mai and a very good member of the community at-large.

Thats the spirit... come out and meet old and new friends! Have a hotdog or two and enjoy!

I'll miss the ability to buy ice-cold Coors beer, but otherwise am very glad that the Creative Kingdom is continuing this event. I plan to go with an open mind. I hope it all works out well and that the VFW is willing to have some limiited involvement in future 4th of July celebrations so we can all enjoy Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew and Coors next year.

Haha, comical! VFW dropped sponsorship of event after the overwhelming amount of bitching and complaining following the event last year.

As I recall, YOU were one of the primary complainers last year.. Going on and on, bitching about toilets and such.

When you are **NOT** drinking ice-cold Coors beer, Dr Pepper, and Mountain Dew this year, remember that you have nobody but yourself to blame for that.

And thanks for ruining it for the rest of us as well...

-Mestizo

Haha, comical! VFW dropped sponsorship of event after the overwhelming amount of bitching and complaining following the event last year.

As I recall, YOU were one of the primary complainers last year.. Going on and on, bitching about toilets and such.

When you are **NOT** drinking ice-cold Coors beer, Dr Pepper, and Mountain Dew this year, remember that you have nobody but yourself to blame for that.

-Mestizo

Yes, I was a "primary complainer" about the toilet situation and I tried to do something about it afterwards. I offered to help the VFW resolve this situation for the next picnic. I did some research on this and sent several rather detailed emails to one of your members -- one who was encouraging my husband to join the VFW. You can contact that member to see that my interest in helping was sincere. I have a history of getting things done and based on my initial research of the toilet situation, I think that problem could have been resolved for future picnics.

Yes, the TV thread after the picnic did contain some "harsh" comments, but I think many of them were really suggestions for improvement that a thoughtful committee could have used to improve future events. I'm sorry that the VFW is no longer involved and that some of the members feel their efforts were unappreciated. As I said on this thread, I hope they will reconsider and can become involved in a some way in future 4th of July celebrations.

Edited by NancyL

I would love to see this topic stay positive. I was also going to sit out this year's celebration but when I was asked for help I decided that it was better to put my reservations aside and help. Creative Kingdom is to be applauded for taking on the event. Let's all have a good time.

When the customers tell you the service was less than desirable, pointed out the lack of planning, made suggestions for improvement, etc, the sponsor has several choices. In this case it would appear the 4th celebration is becoming more a commercial venture than what was the old trademark celebration held at the US consulate. Even the Consulate party planners recognized that food/drink outlets depended on forecast numbers of consumers.

I have attended many celebrations at the Consulate property, even following 9/11 which required prior registration and guest lists. The present party is open to the general public, thus no possibility of accurate head count before hand, past and present organizers should have experience enough to recognize this shortcoming, before making a commitment.

This years party will come under the same scrutiny as those of the past. The organizer may if he wants to continue in the venture, make adjustments or bow out as he/she is not capable of doing the necessary planning. Then some group who feel they can do better will come along.

I wish success to this years event as it is a unique event for people to come together for a good time.

-Mestizo

Yes, I was a "primary complainer" about the toilet situation and I tried to do something about it afterwards. I offered to help the VFW resolve this situation for the next picnic. I did some research on this and sent several rather detailed emails to one of your members -- one who was encouraging my husband to join the VFW. You can contact that member to see that my interest in helping was sincere. I have a history of getting things done and based on my initial research of the toilet situation, I think that problem could have been resolved for future picnics.

Yes, the TV thread after the picnic did contain some "harsh" comments, but I think many of them were really suggestions for improvement that a thoughtful committee could have used to improve future events. I'm sorry that the VFW is no longer involved and that some of the members feel their efforts were unappreciated. As I said on this thread, I hope they will reconsider and can become involved in a some way in future 4th of July celebrations.

No sarcasm intended: Perhaps with your history of getting things done you would consider organizing the event if the current organizer opts out of next years event.

MSPain

-Mestizo

I don't think you are speaking for the leadership of VFW who seemed to take the critcism very positively at the time. I certainly don't think you should criticise Nancy who is just a concerned American who has tried her bit to get things improved. David Dukes is right. This is your National Day and you need to stay positive for this year. Discribing it as a 'Picnic' as Nancy does is probably a very good idea. The posters last year were part of the problem- We kind of expected Disney World, the posters were so persuasive. If everyone thinks of it as a family picnic you shouldn't go far wrong.

The VFW guys who organised last years event did so to the best of their ability and I'm sure will get involved in the future as part of a team effort. If it takes you guys to get involved again so that I can continue my appreciation for American beer which began with Samuel Adams Boston Ale last year, I hope you will get on board again very quickly!

Of course if you guys hadn't treacherously overthrown the legitimate power of HM King George 111 you wouldn't be having to organise a July 4th celebration would you!

Of course if you guys hadn't treacherously overthrown the legitimate power of HM King George 111 you wouldn't be having to organise a July 4th celebration would you!

This is a very good point. Please give him our apologies.

Edited by Ulysses G.

....In this case it would appear the 4th celebration is becoming more a commercial venture than what was the old trademark celebration held at the US consulate....

....The present party is open to the general public, thus no possibility of accurate head count before hand, past and present organizers should have experience enough to recognize this shortcoming, before making a commitment.

This years party will come under the same scrutiny as those of the past. The organizer may if he wants to continue in the venture, make adjustments or bow out as he/she is not capable of doing the necessary planning. Then some group who feel they can do better will come along. I wish success to this years event as it is a unique event for people to come together for a good time.

First thank you for the well wishes on this year’s event, it is appreciated!

I do want to clarify that CK took this task on because we were asked if we would be so kind as to continue the event for the ex-pat community and their families in Chiang Mai... CK Senior management, in a nod and appreciation for all the USA has offered and allowed them to be, agreed; it was not really a commercial venture decesion for CK. If past event history proves true, I am sure CK will be negative in financial terms, but very positive in terms of spirit, for being able to host a special day, so both young and old could come out and enjoy this most American celebration in a far away land.

I also think that the participant/consumer has the same choice to bow out if their expectations are, or have not been, met or served. We hope that both sides keep proper perspective this year, so there will be a positive spirit of enjoyment and camaraderie at, and after, the event.

Again, CK has taken all input and commentary from previous events and have tried to implement solutions. CK is not in the event planning business, but we are giving it our best shot for others to have something to enjoy on the 4th of July.

Again thank you for all the well wishes and positive encouragement.

-CKGUY

I would love to see this topic stay positive. I was also going to sit out this year's celebration but when I was asked for help I decided that it was better to put my reservations aside and help. Creative Kingdom is to be applauded for taking on the event. Let's all have a good time.

Thank you David for keeping DUKES on-board; CK, as I am sure others, are truly appreciative. Looking forward a great hot dog on Monday!! :)

........ The VFW guys who organised last years event did so to the best of their ability and I'm sure will get involved in the future as part of a team effort. If it takes you guys to get involved again so that I can continue my appreciation for American beer which began with Samuel Adams Boston Ale last year, I hope you will get on board again very quickly!

Agreed, we hope the VFW guys are willing to participate or organize the event in the future, they brought a lot of positive elements to the table! We hope this to be case, a lot sooner, than later.

well... HM King George was overcharging us for tea, and he didn't even have the decency to host a decent fireworks show every year... what was any self-respecting colonist to do? :D

I fear for the fate of America now that she has no king.

I fear for the fate of America now that she has no king.

Yeah, check out some of the king's upstanding subjects :D

post-2362-0-15260400-1309428562_thumb.jp

Edited by Lancelot