Village Life

thaibeachlovers

Obviously not my lucky day.

I am just watching my 7 year old son wandering around the house using my phone camera while wearing his crash helmet, my motorcycle jacket and my motorcycle gloves,

on his feet.

He is cracking me up with laughter and I am having trouble typing this.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Village life is good for me for sure.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a village, and if there is a wedding we get an invite, someone dies, we go. (Several times lol.) True Visions Gold is a minimum need. Some books too are a necessity to cope with the many power cuts. Other than the power, I love it.

Just discovered a project that may save my life. I checking out the house wiring. More I checked the worse it got. Basically, all the wiring for all the outlets, lights comes from one single wire, and it's small, in a wooden house. SCARY.

It's so old, the flouro light fittings are made of wood, with a couple of plastic ( so old they're crumbly ) tube holders screwed on the ends. The transformers are actually seperate from the bulb holders and the wires are just twisted together with a bit of tape around the wire. Plenty of exposed live wires everywhere. The switch boxes are just rotten bits of wood. Of course there isn't a single earth wire in the whole place.

So, getting a quote for the upgrading, and hopefully soon the place won't be burning down.

Life is certainly never boring here, what with the giant centipedes trying to bite us, thousands of mossies, biggest moths I ever saw, squirrels and birds in the garden, unusual one night only giant flowers, massive rainstorms. It certainly ain't like back home.

Just discovered a project that may save my life. I checking out the house wiring. More I checked the worse it got. Basically, all the wiring for all the outlets, lights comes from one single wire, and it's small, in a wooden house. SCARY.

It's so old, the flouro light fittings are made of wood, with a couple of plastic ( so old they're crumbly ) tube holders screwed on the ends. The transformers are actually seperate from the bulb holders and the wires are just twisted together with a bit of tape around the wire. Plenty of exposed live wires everywhere. The switch boxes are just rotten bits of wood. Of course there isn't a single earth wire in the whole place.

So, getting a quote for the upgrading, and hopefully soon the place won't be burning down.

Life is certainly never boring here, what with the giant centipedes trying to bite us, thousands of mossies, biggest moths I ever saw, squirrels and birds in the garden, unusual one night only giant flowers, massive rainstorms. It certainly ain't like back home.

But isn't it a great life?

Well I made several trip back home with the Mrs. I was miserable hot mosquitos that have no fear . I spent most of my day in a hamock far enough away that I could not hear the chatter and smoked until my lungs were blue . Oh I never go use to sleeping on the floor either . I can just say it was like being in a concentration camp for a week . Now that we live here she goes back every three months for a week , I stay behind in my nice soft bed , even gave up smoking. After she is there for a couple days I get a call about every 5 hours telling me how bored she is and wants to come home , but must stay with Maa a few more days . I laugh and say now you know almost what I felt like over the years ...

Takes more of a man than I am to live like that and be content sorry .

Hope what ever yu choose to do works out well for you ........

I just got back from my few days in Uttaradit...could write a LONG report on that one!

If you will be there for a while and haven't already, check out a village/town(?) called Laplae, and a nice restaurant there called Mon Laplae - really beautiful and good food. Also nice new guesthouse there, just 450 a night.

As for the village life....another suggestion- by an air rifle and shoot, cook, share and eat anything that moves! That seemed to be the done thing.

Checked out Lap Lae. You had it easy- only a little way to Uttaradit. I'm a 3 hour bus ride in the sticks.

If anyone gets lost ( only reason to be there I can think of, unless married to a local ) and ends up in Fak Tha, north east of Uttaradit, there is a lovely little restaurant about 5 minutes north by the paddy fields. Had dinner there last night ( the only excuse there is here for herself to dress up ), and it was jaw droppingly beautiful as the sun set over the hills. Only 100 bht for dinner for two. Good food too.

I was thinking, as I looked out over the ricepaddy, that I could have been looking at the same scene 200 years ago ( apparently that is when the area was settled by Lao immigrants ). There was nothing to see that was modern.

Fak Tha! That's where I stayed! I just visited Lap Lae for something to do, was about a 90 minute ride maybe a little more. There are one or two people who live around the big temple in Fak Tha who can (or at least really like to try to) speak English.

Edited by TenDreams

I live in a village and have for some time now. Boredom can be a problem, rainy season is a bitch. Then you just have to sit and read and write crap on the net. The rest of the time if you have some money you can swim, fish, picnic and be a kid again. It's life and can be fun if you want to make it so. Jim

Sounds good! Thanks

seconded Jim.

...and all those books you never had time to read especially now it's raining so much.

...I am actually learning about that boring Geography and History that I never paid attention to at school..amazing and interesting stuff.

Also do a lot of gardening and ..f..g weeding....she instructs I weed...

...to the poster who makes sausages...what do you use for skins,how do you grind the meat, recipes...love to be able to make Boer Vors?? ( yup can see some of the responses already)

...Gotta go and stick my bread in the toaster oven now, then try and fix the seven things that "broke" this week...lol

'Twas I that wrote about sausages.

When I was working in NZ I bought a George Foreman meat grinder and sausage maker something like these

http://shop.ebay.com.au/sis.html?_nkw=MEAT+MINCER+SAUSAGE+MAKER+GEORGE+FOREMAN+700W+MOTOR

and it works well. The sausage skins I got from a guy who has since gone back to the UK I think but if you look up western foods on TV and search for sausage making you should get a fair few hits on how to make sausages and where to get the skins from.

Verasu in Wireless road Bangkok has this

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=493

and I am sure that a big store like Central, Powerbuy or perhaps Makro will have something similar.

I usually print out the webpage with a picture which helps a lot as my Thai is not that good.

If you would like to pay for my ticket I am willing to pop over to NZ on your behalf. :whistling:

Cheers

and I am sure that

thanks for that will check 'em all out...have you tried using the original pigs gut they sell in the market.

..why am I getting deja vu on this ...maybe said it all before and lost it...aaah village life!!

I have never tried the original pigs gut but I did try something from Makro which worked after a fashion.

It was frozen and had a blue label.

If I can find it I will post a photo for you.

cheers appreciate it..

rgds

david

I have never tried the original pigs gut but I did try something from Makro which worked after a fashion.

cheers appreciate it..

rgds

david

I found it last night.

post-5614-0-59584900-1311495819_thumb.jp

cheers appreciate it..

rgds

david

I found it last night.

post-5614-0-59584900-1311495819_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-86193600-1311496836_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-69917700-1311497029_thumb.jp

Does your wife have any land nearby? If so why not build a small house there and if you are lucky and have electricity get the Internet, True Vision and plant some fruit trees or vegetables that you can water everyday,get a pet that will give you enjoyment. I don't live in the city or a village but live 1 kilometer away from my wife's relatives on a dirt road with no neighbors but have electricity and the Internet. My house is 1 a 5x4 meter room with a bed,tv ,fridge and computer. I rent a house for 1000 Baht a month in the village for my wife and 2 children and her Mother. I have a dog and a goat,banana trees.mango trees and am never bored. I like the peace and quiet. Her relatives don't bother me and I never get bored.Perhaps you can do something similar if you can afford it.

:rolleyes:

Have you ever thought of moving your Village to the CITY. thet way you can have the best of both worlds.

I did suggest bringing the MIL to Pattaya, but that's a no go. She won't even move to Lamphun where the sister in law has a nice house.

I guess she just needs to live in the old house, where she still gets up before dawn to light the charcoal fire, despite myself bringing up a lovely gas cooker.