Radiator Protectors And Overheating (Versys)

MRToMRT

Anyone had any issues with radiators perforated protection grills/plates. I bought an aftermarket one from the states for my Versys but I suspect the bike is now overheating slightly. This is a problem in traffic (Bangkok) as I can now feel heat radiating big time from the sides of the engine at stops.

Has anyone else had any problems - I figure I may have two options a) remove it 2) put in spacers so the guard stands proud of the radiator.

Any advice form those who have installed them welcome.

Hmmm, it's tricky with radiator guards to find a good balance that offers both protection and good air flow. I had this one on my Ninja 650R:

EX650RadGuard2SSR.jpg

As you can see, it's a more open design then yours and it doesn't sit flush on the radiator so I can't say I noticed any difference in how hot the bike ran before and after installing this guard.

I've got a similar guard for my Versys but haven't gotten around to installing it yet-

VersysAlumRadiatorGuard3SSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks for showing some photos Tony, as I was going to mention the same thing. Agreed that there are a lot of aerodynamically designed radiator guards that have a knife edge cuttng into the air stream, thus hindering the air flow as little as possible. To the OP, no offence intended, but the punched hole type guards are basicall rubbish when it comes to efficiency.

Edited by Garry

Also I meant to add to the OP, as you said with your idea to space the guard. It can't hurt anymore and hopefully my resolve some of the air flow issues. Let us know how you get on. B)

Edited by Garry