Newbie Visa Help

Hi everyone,

This is probably ultra-redundant but unfortunately I don't feel like sifting through the pages and pages of threads. (I got to about Page 8 or something but didn't see this addressed) :o

To obtain the 30 day entry (I'm from Canada), is there ANYTHING that needs to be done from one's perminent residence besides having one's passport readily available. While perusing this website I came accross something that said "must have application form filled out and ready upon arrival in Thailand" or something to that extent.

Does this apply to the MAX 30 day entry stamps? Or for the 60 day tourist Visas. I couldn't tell.

Regards,

M

My plan is to travel Thailand and the surrounding countries, spending most likely no more than 30 days in Thailand. However, my plane ticket is a 1 year open return ticket which obviously wouldn't fall under the 'return in 30 days' thing as you suggest.

Will they not let me in based on the fact that I can't produce any proof that I'll be leaving the country within 30 days? Should I just apply for a 60 day tourist Visa before I leave Canada?

What should I do?

You need to get a tourist visa in that case. Airline could refuse to board you without it. The 30 day entry requirement is proof of onward travel within 30 days of arrival and many airlines check this carefully. This visa will also cover you if you decide to spend more time here.

But then even if I have the 60 day tourist Visa, under the same principles, won't I need proof that I'm leaving the country within 60 days rather than 30?

My 1 year open ticket won't cover this either.

Isn't this the course of action for most backpackers in Southeast Asia?

Thanks for the help so far. But I have a few more questions.

The people that do the 30 day Visa Runs. What kind of proof would they be providing that they would be leaving the country within 30 days?

Or do the entry points really not make any fuss about this?

Is it strictly the airlines that would cause the problems?

Guest IT Manager

When a "person" for example a Kao San Road Teaching Graduate enters the Kingdom, they use a 30 day visa on arrival which is not really a visa in the true sense of the word.

After doing this, by walking for a few years they become fully qualified teachers and some poor fool gives them money to stand in front of their kids and tell them to listen to them cos they know all about English. Like me they can't identify a verb transitive to save their lives, but they will continue to teach and walk across the border for years if they can get away with it.

At this point the Government says "please go and get a proper visa". They say "but I'm not doing anything wrong".

This is true, legally, but not morally. If you want to live here, as opposed to be a visitor, the Government asks you to seek permission to live here, and earn money here etc., they feel, rightly IMHO, that if someone want s to live here, they should do it properly. Most people do. Kao San Road Teachers don't, as a matter of course.

If you plan to be here over 30 days, get a visa before you arrive. I will say it again, differently: BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME, GO TO A CONSUL, OR RING A CONSUL NEAR YOU AND ASK ABOUT GETTING A VISA BEFORE YOU ARRIVE.. it is quite simple. Even Kao San Road teachers understand it and the implications. They just don't do it, merely complain that they have to.

Hope that makes it clear.

Well I don't wish to do anything like that. I was merely using that as a comparison.

But essentially if what you are saying is true. Then those 'teachers' are not providing any proof of their leaving within the 30 days of their stay.

My 'plan' is to backpack South East Asia. I am entering on a 1 year ticket (I won't be travelling that long, only a $110 charge to change the return date to when i actually leave.) I am going to start in Bangkok, most likely not wishing to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days. I want to travel through Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. (come back into to Thailand for a while again and possibly go to Malaysia. Also after the first 'tour' I want to fly to Nepal for a month or so and then back to SE Asia (Bangkok again).

The only major concern I see from what I've heard so far lies with the airlines, and myself not being able to produce proof that i'll be leaving Thailand within the 30 days. So obviously the 60 day tourist Visa is my best choice, since from what I"ve heard here, the airline for some reason doesn't require proof of staying for those 60 days. (but on the 30 days it does).

I want to know that after I finally fly in to Bangkok for the first time will I be free to roam around these countries ON LAND (under the Visa guidelines of those countries of course) and re-enter Thailand ON LAND on 30 day entry stamps, for when i go down to malaysia.

And I'm assuming that for when I leave and return from Nepal. (I will be flying back from Nepal so it looks like I'll have to get another 60 day tourist Visa.)

WILL A 60 DAY TOURIST VISA GUARANTEE ME TO GET INTO THAILAND BY PLANE, WITHOUT PRODUCING PROOF THAT I'LL BE LEAVING WITHIN THOSE 60 DAYS? Is this 100% true?

All in all I really just have to contact the airlines and embassies to be safe, but I'm just curious to hear anything you guys have to say on the subject.

Thanks again for any helpful comments. It's all appreciated greatly!

:o

What exactly is a double entry tourist Visa?

Does this mean that within the 60 days, I can leave once and come back?

Meaning if i left on day 30, for 10 days, I could come back, and have 20 days left on my tourist Visa?

Or does it mean that I can leave sometime within the 60 days, and then come back into Thailand, and have another 60 days tacked on once again?

Can someone fill me in ?

Many thanks.

Double Tourist visa means double fee. Single entry menas that you can enter the Kingdom ONE time. Double entry gives you TWO entries to the Kingdom. Each entry is 60 days and can be extended by 30+10 while in the country (at the local Immigration office for a fee of 1,900 Baht each time.)

If you leave Thailand your current entry is expired (null and void).

So if you are planning to travel in and out, ask for a double or triple entry tourist visa. How many times are you planning to enter?

Well I guess here's what I would like to do, in a perfect world:

I am flying into Bangkok on a 1 year return ticket, which has a charge of CAD$110 to change the return date since I do not know exactly when I will be returning to Canada. I plan to stay in Bangkok for approximately a month, give or take a few days. It is my understanding that since I am flying in on a 1 year return ticket I will not be able to get the 30 day stamped entry Visa, since they require proof that I would be leaving within those 30 days. Therefor, from my understanding, I must get a 60 day tourist Visa, which does not require outgoing ticket proof that I am leaving within those 60 days. (the Visa is proof)

After my ~30 day stay in Thailand, I will be travelling through the countries of Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia for a period of time. Upon my second entry into Thailand, after touring the other countries, I still will not have a definite return date back to Canada, so I will not be able to get the 30 day entry stamps.

Will the double entry Visa help me here? Is there a certain time limit between the date I choose to leave Thailand the first time, and the date of my return to begin my second entry? ie. Do I need to make it back to Thailand at a certain time, or can I tour Loas, Vietnam, and Cambodia at my own leisure (depending on those countries' Visa regulations) and expect my second entry Tourist Visa, giving me another 60 days to play with.

If the double entry does not cover this, I'm wondering if there will be any problem with getting another 60 day tourist Visa for Thailand at the appropriate time WHILE I AM IN either Laos, or Cambodia, so that I can re-enter Thailand and plan the next leg of my journey. Also, I may go down to Malaysia if possible, so I am also wondering about purchasing the 60 day tourist Visa once again if needed, for when I return to Thailand yet again. Do they get pissy with buying this many Tourist Visas?

Also, under what circumstances would someone be denied a Tourist Visa, from Canada, or from the countries mentioned in this email. Is it pretty much that anyone can get one, so long as you don't look like a complete freeloader.

What kind of things do backpackers in South East Asia generally do in terms of Visa strategies? They seem to be able to travel on their 30 day entry stamps, getting them renewed at entry points when needed. I don't see how they could produce proof that they'd be leaving Thailand within 30 days. What are the issues on this?

My last entry into Thailand (coming back from Nepal) will not be an issue, because by that time, it will be the last leg of my journey, and I will have changed the return date to the appropriate time, thus allowing me to use the 30 day entry stamp.

That's the *tentative* plan ina perfect world.

How does my strategy fare? ALL input is GREATLY appreciated, and I can't get over the prompt response that I've already received.

Many thanks!

Will the double entry Visa help me here? Is there a certain time limit between the date I choose to leave Thailand the first time, and the date of my return to begin my second entry? ie. Do I need to make it back to Thailand at a certain time, or can I tour Loas, Vietnam, and Cambodia at my own leisure (depending on those countries' Visa regulations) and expect my second entry Tourist Visa, giving me another 60 days to play with.

You must make both entries within 180 days (6 months) from the date the visa was issued in your home country. Your plan works out fine! Take a double entry before leaving home.

I don't think this will be an issue, but just so I'm totally clear on this. If I were to make my second entry on, let's say, day 179 - then am I good for another 60 days after that? (90 days if i want to extend it)

Also you say "the date it was issued in my home country".

I thought the Visas would become active on the date I enter Thailand?

Hmm ok sounds good.

I'm still curious about the backpacker living off 30 day Visa runs and stuff.

Do ALLLLLLL 30 day entry stamps at ALLLLLL border crossings require someone to produce proof that they will be leaving in 30 days? IE. the outgoing ticket.

I fail to see how backpackers get around this. They obviously do not have a plane ticket indicating that they will be leaving in 30 days. Any input on this?

Hmm ok sounds good.

I'm still curious about the backpacker living off 30 day Visa runs and stuff.

Do ALLLLLLL 30 day entry stamps at ALLLLLL border crossings require someone to produce proof that they will be leaving in 30 days? IE. the outgoing ticket.

I fail to see how backpackers get around this. They obviously do not have a plane ticket indicating that they will be leaving in 30 days. Any input on this?

Mango1919, if you want to reach the big mango by plane, the airlines usually want to see a return ticket, unless you have a visa, Such tickets must show an out-bound or return flight within 30 days.

I did not ever see the same demand by immigration or MFA.

Different story for the people entitled to get a visa upon arrival. They must show means for transportation.

I do not know if any of such nationals ever walk. The expert on walkers is here in the board :D

Perhaps they have to show a spare pair of shoes? :o

Yes, both airline and Immigrationn require it. Immigration is normally not a pronblem if you do border travel, but a real visa is always a safer way. Go for it.

The backpackers manage to do the 30 days walking somehow. Don'r rely on it in this uncertain times of terror etc. Would be shit to end up in no-mans-land between Thailand and Malaysia, for example. Make a double entry.

Another question has come up. :o

Ok. So I apply for a double entry Tourist Visa. (Let's just say I don't decide to get the 30 day extensions at this point) Does this automatically give me 60+60 days to play with? Or do I actually have to leave when the first 60 days are up, and then come back to activate the other 60 days? Or do I basically have a Visa worth 120 days and I can stay in thailand for this amount of time.

I think I'm missing something here.