Budget Website Hosting

4evermaat

It will mostly be a blog with hopefully 1000+ viewers a month. and i mqy sell a couple of pieces of software. I'll probably have video coming in from livestream.com I've used ipower.com in the past, they've come a long way. I am wondering other people have experience with web hosting and could give recommendations.

Google searching was difficult to come up with some "objective" review (based on actual performance / experience)

A separate question: what about domain name registrations? I've used namecheap and seemingly no problems there.

I have used 1and1.com for several websites, going back nine years. Large company based in LA, also have Euro locations. Excellent, reliable, low cost with great control panel and site-builder apps. They also do name registration, see their packages.

I have always used NetDesignHost based in BKK. They have many walk in offices and their basic budget hosting plans start at 250THB/Month for 200MB. They also do domain name registrations for 300THB. I usually use their office opposite side of MBK.

Namecheap is fine. But if you also want to have Gmail, Google docs, calendar etc access under your own domain name, the easiest way is to buy your domain through Google Apps. They set all of it up for you automatically and you get private registration for free.

$10.

Your choice of host should be dependant on:

- domain tld (think of your target audience)

- your target audience (load times)

If using a generic tld domain and you make no use of the geo-targeting tool in Webmaster Tools, the location of the IP address for that website will also result in implicit geo-targeting to the country of that IP. Geo-targeting does not result in exclusion of other countries, it only offers a little boost in the country that's geo-targeted, whether explicitly or implicitly.

If selling software downloaded directly from your box, then obviously you'll want a host with unlimited bandwidth. Make these kind of things secondary in your selection of host.

Don't forget SSL if any part of the payment process is hosted by you.

If some of your income streams will be delivered through your web host, I'd move away from a budget solution.

I believe GoDaddy and Dreamhost are two of the most used and renowned U.S web-host providers.

I've been using GoDaddy for a few years when I needed U.S based web servers, they are cheap and reliable.

I would recommend using one of them because there is hundreds of thousands of websites using theirs services, and the day you'll need some help, you'll easily find bunches of peoples able to answer your questions and assist you on any webmaster forum. For such a small website (~ 1000 U.V a month) their basics packages would be more than sufficient.

They also handle domain name registration if you need to, but if you have a good experience and are confortable with Namecheap, no need to change, the webhosting part and the domain name part don't need to be handled by the same company.

I've been using 1&1 for an European website (I don't know about theirs U.S infrastructures and services.) I haven't been really impressed with the tools and admin panel provided. The web server per se was reliable though.

Edited by TheWanderer

I have used 1and1.com...... Excellent, reliable, low cost.......They also do name registration

I wouldnt call them excellent but they arent bad. They arent very helpful if/when you want to transfer out and the European arm, which I use, is decidely bogged down with rules and regulations. I have several dozen sites with them.

I find that domain name registration is usually cheaper when bundled in with hosting, and I also find the total cost is often lower in Europe these days.

The thing I hate about GoDaddy is the mind-rending quantities of upsell. Their control panel is a seething mass of crap.

Totally concur! how many times do you have to tell them "no thanks" before you can give them your money!

Hate their interface too. I won't consider a host that doesn't use CPANEL.

I have always used NetDesignHost based in BKK. They have many walk in offices and their basic budget hosting plans start at 250THB/Month for 200MB. They also do domain name registrations for 300THB. I usually use their office opposite side of MBK.

Namecheap is fine. But if you also want to have Gmail, Google docs, calendar etc access under your own domain name, the easiest way is to buy your domain through Google Apps. They set all of it up for you automatically and you get private registration for free.

$10.

Your choice of host should be dependant on:

- domain tld (think of your target audience)

- your target audience (load times)

If using a generic tld domain and you make no use of the geo-targeting tool in Webmaster Tools, the location of the IP address for that website will also result in implicit geo-targeting to the country of that IP. Geo-targeting does not result in exclusion of other countries, it only offers a little boost in the country that's geo-targeted, whether explicitly or implicitly.

If selling software downloaded directly from your box, then obviously you'll want a host with unlimited bandwidth. Make these kind of things secondary in your selection of host.

Don't forget SSL if any part of the payment process is hosted by you.

If some of your income streams will be delivered through your web host, I'd move away from a budget solution.

i am concerned about the reliability of thai hosts. I am considering snappages.com , webaxxs.net and aplus.net . I particularly interested in the ability to toss a custom website up in maybe 20 minutes with snappages (although I'll spend much more time writing this).

And yes, if I am hosting anything serious a vps or something beyond budget will be required. But thanks to services like livestream procaster, they do the streaming and i just embed it. I already lease vps, but will not host the website on that one, but may stream video from that desktop to the website embed.

i'll probably start with paypal or google checkout. Any other independent credit card alternatives outside of a merchant account for a software developer / consultant ? I do not have thai corp (yet) and that may be a while.

Based on my own and our client experiences, I wouldn't go anywhere near ANY Thai web hosting company.

Unreliable, terrible service, unable to manage the servers correctly, big downtimes, out-of-date server software, refusal to release domain names etc etc . . . the list goes on . . .

Based on my own and our client experiences, I wouldn't go anywhere near ANY Thai web hosting company.

Unreliable, terrible service, unable to manage the servers correctly, big downtimes, out-of-date server software, refusal to release domain names etc etc . . . the list goes on . . .

I have had this happen to a lot of clients.

The thing I hate about GoDaddy is the mind-rending quantities of upsell. Their control panel is a seething mass of crap.

Also there database limit is 1GB. Not a problem for most websites, but if you have a big online shop then 1GB might not be enough, they also dont have any plans that allow you to go over 1gb

If I didn't know it would get deleted immediately and that it was "against the law" to do so, I'd post a list of the top 10 worst companies here in Thailand that do this . . . :)

It's worth noting that a lot of the smaller problem companies that do this are run by foreigners and they are the worst at screwing people over.

Best practice and common sense says register your domain independent of your host. No surprise you ran into problems.

Host Never Die are a decent Thai host.

I have had this happen to a lot of clients.

Best practice and common sense says register your domain independent of your host. No surprise you ran into problems.

Not necessarily true as there are some good hosts, but the problem here in Thailand is that morality and ethics goes out the window when dealing with business, and that's as true for the foreigners here as for anyone else.

As said before HostGator are excellent.