Thai Election Commission Admits Technical Glitches In Advance Election

webfact

Some posts have been removed as the incorrect quoting procedure was used. To quote posts or parts of posts copy and paste into your reply and use the Insert quotation feature:

post-33509-0-59814000-1309190495_thumb.j

Some posts have been removed as the incorrect quoting procedure was used. To quote posts or parts of posts copy and paste into your reply and use the Insert quotation feature:

Do you think PTP voters will have trouble remembering the number 1?

lol

What if they put the cross in the wrong box?

Will the vote count?

Most likely. Who's going to know it was the wrong box?

Maybe they'll see the 1 and ignore the zero and vote for Democrats instead.

"Most likely" of course means NO.

There is bound to be a percentage of voters e.g. with bad eyesight including the elderly who could easily make the mistake and tick the wrong box.

Even if its only 5% of voters that is tooo many would you not agree??

small.jpg

There is bound to be a percentage of voters e.g. with bad eyesight including the elderly who could easily make the mistake and tick the wrong box.

small.jpg

The 'image' on the ballot seems of PTP making. These ballot papers always look the same, they should have known.

As for 5% of voters voting wrong, how many voters are there? Say 30 million, 5% is 1.5M. Now that would be too much indeed, imagine 10% voting wrong because of a tiny logo. Make Thailand the hub of free eye glasses ;)

small.jpg

The 'image' on the ballot seems of PTP making. These ballot papers always look the same, they should have known.

As for 5% of voters voting wrong, how many voters are there? Say 30 million, 5% is 1.5M. Now that would be too much indeed, imagine 10% voting wrong because of a tiny logo. Make Thailand the hub of free eye glasses ;)

Not sure exactly what you are trying to say but just guessing you are hoping 10% vote wrong??

Correct?

lol

Will the vote count?

small.jpg

"Will the vote count?" " Most likely."

%5 of what? The total vote, or the PTP vote? In either case, I think that would be a very unlikely number of people who didn't know what number that they were voting for.

I would guess that a lot of people have no idea what the party's logos are.

small.jpg

Whining about the size of their logo is pure nonsense. They might as well be whining about the size of their members (pun intended).

The ballot says (in the same size font of all other Parties) next to the logo: Pheu Thai Party.

The ballot says (in the same size font of all other Parties) before the logo : Numeral 1 *the Pheu Thai Party's assigned number*.

There are thousands and thousands of blind and disabled Thais that vote in every election. If anyone needs assistance with voting, it is provided.

With the mistake printing the ballots and now this, does make you wonder which side the EC is on.

Is there anything to suggest that the glitches in advanced voting or the extra ballots would favour one particular side?

That's one more thing to add to the list.

I was talking about the misprint of the PTP logo on the ballots.

The problem is that they used a logo that is horizontally very wide. So of course it is illegible when printed in a small box. All the other parties used logos that are 'squareish'. So did the EC screw it up or did some dimwit at PTP just give them an inappropriate logo?

Thai printers aren't exactly 'renowned' for their attention to quality control, either.

I think this sums it up well.

PTP did a poor job designing their logo, not considering it's dimensions

in one of it's most important functions, presentation on a ballot.

And/or the printer not wanting to make a big wig politician lose face, did not mention that the logo they were given did not work well and just printed WHAT THEY WERE GIVEN TO USE.

Numbers 2 and 7 are very strong logos for this purpose.

Most of them were obviously designed by bureaucrats, and few designed by actually multi-use advertising logo designers.

#2 actually points out the name perfectly, directing hands to that party automatically.

Edited by animatic

='whybother' timestamp='1309188339' post='4517724']=

lol

Will the vote count?

small.jpg

"Will the vote count?" " Most likely."

%5 of what? The total vote, or the PTP vote? In either case, I think that would be a very unlikely number of people who didn't know what number that they were voting for.

I guess if they can't

remember the 'name' and the 'number 1'

they are exactly the kind of voter PTP is most worried about losing.

Edited by animatic

small.jpg

Not sure exactly what you are trying to say but just guessing you are hoping 10% vote wrong??

Correct?

Wrong, just joking around the suggestion that even 5% of the voters might make a mistake because of the tiny logo. Die-hard PTP supporters who have been fed video clips of Ms. Yingluck campaigning must be really in need of glasses if they can't even find the number one (queue: stick up correct finger) :)

Die-hard PTP supporters who have been fed video clips of Ms. Yingluck campaigning must be really in need of glasses if they can't even find the number one (queue: stick up correct finger) :)

And if that's enough, her most recent shirts (they used to have a medium-sized # 1 on the upper right side) now have a giant-sized # 1 covering the entire middle section of her shirt.

(sorry, can't post a photos showing the recent change as they are from news media sources)

But can post the non-media source of their normal logo... which if they had simply stuck with it rather than make some exceptionally long horizontal logo, they could have avoided their own self-created turmoil.

PueaThai.jpg

(btw, the PTP logo incorporates the banned People Power Party logo on the left side of their logo with that of the banned Thai Rak Thai Party on the right)

Edited by Buchholz

This "glitch" could be the seed needed for the losing party [whomever that may be] to scream election fraud. Haven't they learnt? With this election the government needs to ensure everything runs as it should so as nothing can be used to labelling the process unfair/ a farce. Which,thinking of it now, probabley is inevitable anyway if i know this place. :rolleyes:

It seems PNET (Peoples Network for Elections in Thailand) has complained that up to 500,000 people may not be able to vote, because their names were still registered on the pre-election lists. Some call for allowing these names to be added before the July 3rd elections.

Personally I think any modifications to election lists now will only cause further chaos and cannot be done in the remaining days in a transparent, for all parties acceptable manner. Excuses to those voters, but please let the EC make corrections AFTER the election :ermm:

It seems PNET (Peoples Network for Elections in Thailand) has complained that up to 500,000 people may not be able to vote, because their names were still registered on the pre-election lists. Some call for allowing these names to be added before the July 3rd elections.

Personally I think any modifications to election lists now will only cause further chaos and cannot be done in the remaining days in a transparent, for all parties acceptable manner. Excuses to those voters, but please let the EC make corrections AFTER the election :ermm:

Were any of these voters pro-active and personally responsible for their own vote by checking well beforehand exactly which list they were on?

:ermm:

Were any of these voters pro-active and personally responsible for their own vote by checking well beforehand exactly which list they were on?:ermm:

Pro-active voters, what planet do you live on ( ;) )?

You are excused for thinking that people who really want to put their vote to use would do some checks. Somehow that seems a reasonable assumption. On the other hand in some countries people have blind faith in the government, Election Commissions and Election Laws.

As stated before the 'registration for advance voting' should be a one-off only, automatically invalidated / removed AFTER elections. The EC still has some work to do, polishing election laws. Too late for the 3rd of July, that would only cause confusion.

Edited by rubl

Were any of these voters pro-active and personally responsible for their own vote by checking well beforehand exactly which list they were on?:ermm:

Pro-active voters, what planet do you live on ( ;) )?

You are excused for thinking that people who really want to put their vote to use would do some checks. Somehow that seems a reasonable assumption. On the other hand in some countries people have blind faith in the government, Election Commissions and Election Laws.

As stated before the 'registration for advance voting' should be a one-off only, automatically invalidated / removed AFTER elections. The EC still has some work to do, polishing election laws. Too late for the 3rd of July, that would only cause confusion.

True that just because that's what I would do, I shouldn't necessarily expect reasonable action by others to do the same.

Pity, as that would have preempted the issue from happening in the first place.

The voters themselves have "some work to do" to appreciate that voting means more than a few hundred baht. It means taking personal responsibility to ensure that everything is copacetic with their voting BEFORE the election.

Perhaps it's a hard lesson for them to learn if they are unable to vote in this election. Live and learn for the next one.

I agree that the EC should enact it as a one-time deal and which requires registration each and every time someone wishes to vote absentee. It's a system that has worked well in my case for 30 years.

Edited by Buchholz

True that just because that's what I would do, I shouldn't necessarily expect reasonable action by others to do the same.

The voters themselves have "some work to do" to appreciate that voting means more than a few hundred baht. It means taking personal responsibility to ensure that everything is copacetic with their voting BEFORE the election.

Perhaps it's a hard lesson for them to learn if they are unable to vote in this election. Live and learn for the next one.

I agree that the EC should enact it as a one-time deal and which requires registration each and every time someone wishes to vote absentee. It's a system that has worked well in my case for 30 years.

Probably not the place to discuss and I am really not having a dig but we are talking here of people that have moved within the country they have voting rights in. I'm not sure how you can compare your situation of being able to vote for a political system in a country you have been away from for 30 years (if I read your post right). Personally speaking I would not even presume to vote in that situation, but that's just my opinion.

Probably not the place to discuss and I am really not having a dig but we are talking here of people that have moved within the country they have voting rights in. I'm not sure how you can compare your situation of being able to vote for a political system in a country you have been away from for 30 years (if I read your post right). Personally speaking I would not even presume to vote in that situation, but that's just my opinion.

The absence from my voting district has not been for a straight 30 years, but if one is not present there on a specific November day, absentee voting is the way to go. I'm cognizant of local and national issues and properly discern which candidate I choose to for in a responsible manner.

The context of not being in a local district on election day is the exact same situation as the people we are talking about in this thread.