Household Registration?

I am currently applying for jobs here in Bangkok and was invited to a multinational consulting firm for the first round interview. The HR officer told me I have to bring (amongst other documents) a "Household registration". I am pretty sure that I do not have such paper and I never had, even when I was working here before (as an intern for a multinational pharma company). I searched the forums for it and read that it's actually something Thais have or something you can request from your embassy. Now how does my embassy know where I live or how can they attest it? I just came back with a 30-days tourist stamp taking the next best appartment I could find so I can start my job search here.. Help greatly appreciated!

A houesehold registration means that you are registered on a certian adress at the local amphur. It is also called a blue book (for Thais), foreigners are put on a Yellow book.

Not many foreigners are registered on a household registration, they can do so only since 2008. (Before only in certain circumstances). I guess it is an item that you need to show if you have it.

If you want to be on ayellow book, you will have to get the permission of the house owner to be placed on there and be on a non-immirgant visa. A tourist visa will not do it.

The letter from the embassy is a letter of residence, it merely confirms that you are living in Thailand. You need that for instance when applying for a Thai drivers license.

Seems to me that the company is trying to restrict the applicant pool to only Thais by requiring a Household Registration

This would be normal for a Thai, but uncommon for a foreigner - perhaps just a standard item on the list of documents required being enforced by an enthusiastic HR staffer.

I was thinking the same. Even more, they are doing a kind of essay writing test in the 1st round, which, as the HR officer told me, also includes Thai questions. On the other hand, they actually should know that I am a foreigner, as my CV clearly states and as the application was placed by one of their partners who knows me.

Anyways, thanks all for your help, so I will check with the HR staff again to make sure they know I am a foreigner.