Hilton Buffet

ciaociao

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....sitting next to many others on a plastic chair and eating off a worn out metal table. No ambiance for sure.

That is ambiance. Not farang ambiance, but ambiance all the same. Some people travel half way round the world just to enjoy that authentic ambiance and to escape from the synthetic laminated farang type that one probably finds in the Hilton.

Agreed. And at first I also loved it. But after 10 years, it does get old. Sitting on the Hilton's outdoor terrace with those amazing views is hardly synthetic? Pretty awesome.

Yes. I did the plastic chair thing many years ago as a newbie. Why should I do it forever? Can I escape from THAT now? How LONG is acceptable to you, Darrel?

At the Hilton I loved the food (no problems afterwards, either) and I loved the view; I liked the ambience. The service was great. Overall it was just a good experience and my sweet companion absolutely loved and appreciated it as well. Turns out that, given the choice, many Thais love that synthetic laminated farang type that one probably finds in the Hilton too.

Edited by JSixpack

Yes. I did the plastic chair thing many years ago as a newbie. Why should I do it forever? Can I escape from THAT now? How LONG is acceptable to you, Darrel?

......... many Thais love that synthetic laminated farang type that one probably finds in the Hilton too.

I've enjoyed eating in cheap asian restaurants with plastic chairs and tin roofs for the last 35 years. I cant see that changing much before I die. You can eat anywhere you like, of course, and at no point have I suggested you should do otherwise.

As for Thais liking the Hilton, I'm sure that they do. But many Thais like MacDonalds and KFC and Starbucks and God knows what other overpriced farang places also. So that just goes to show what poor taste some of them have.

I may well go to the Hilton seafood buffet at some point, just to try it, but I would never set foot in those other chain restaurants, and I will always prefer the ambiance of an individually owned establishment (be it cheap or not) over that of a multinational chain.

Edited by Darrel

As for Thais liking the Hilton, I'm sure that they do. But many Thais like MacDonalds and KFC and Starbucks and God knows what other overpriced farang places also. So that just goes to show what poor taste some of them have.

A few points:

• If Thais like MacDonalds [sic] and KFC and Starbucks, then they like them. Since when did YOU become the reverse snobby little arbiter of Thai taste? The irony is kinda rich, don't you think? Not that this will be any deterrent.
  • Have you pointed out to Thais that they have poor taste for liking MacDonalds and KFC and Starbucks and the Hilton, and that you have better taste than they do for eating in cheap local restaurants w/ plastic chairs and tin roofs? I think most are just going to laugh at you, and every kid is gonna want to go to McDonald's anytime.
  • MacDonalds and KFC and Starbucks are fairly priced as the pricing is determined by the market; otherwise, they would go out of business: they compete with local copies and other multinationals. Your pricing is merely based on on naive "feel," just like your "good taste," reflecting the fact that you probably never took an economics course and don't know a thing about the workings of those businesses. Now, everyone who's tried the Hilton buffet thinks it is a good value.
  • If it's economical for Thais to use plastic chairs, and it's economical for farang restaurants to use stainless steel and vinyl, how is it that the Thai way is in good taste but the farang way isn't? If McDonalds had a tin roof and plastic chairs too, would McDonalds then be in "good taste" according to the Darrel standard? Not really, because:
  • farang places: here we have the real crux of the matter. Your objection isn't actually based on "taste," totally subjective, or quality of food and ambiance, but mere politics. Basically, farang = bad, multinational = bad. It's a simple knee-jerk reaction that determines your viewpoint. So it's misleading for you to bring up points like "taste" and pointless to discuss that issue with you, as "taste" really isn't your issue.

I don't go into MacDonalds and KFC, as I don't eat that kind of thing, but I do go into Starbucks. It's air conditioned, clean, has good service, has decent music, and has a fairly quiet, somewhat elevated atmosphere in which to enjoy a coffee, perhaps a dessert, and the free newspaper. The coffee isn't that great, but it's OK and, given everything, worth the price.

I think most of us, and the Thais, will continue going to multinational restaurants and coffee shops we like regardless of whether Darrel adjudges them in "bad taste" because they aren't poor Thai sole proprietorships.

I may well go to the Hilton seafood buffet at some point, just to try it, but I would never set foot in those other chain restaurants, and I will always prefer the ambiance of an individually owned establishment (be it cheap or not) over that of a multinational chain.

. . . a multinational chain. Yeah, yeah.

Edited by JSixpack

Breakfast Buffet has everything!!!

Free coffee...tea...juices...!

Omelettes galore...sausages...ham...bacon.

I almost floated out of there.

It is off of Second rd just across the Marriot.

Also tons of free parking.

I am American but saw many Swiss...Germans...Thai gf and No screaming kids.

Only 165 baht and you will love it.

The owner is Swiss and Korean named Pascal and his staff is all Thai. People who work there STILL ACTUALLY SMILE!!!!!

Edited by IAMSOBAD

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to check out the Hilton buffet this evening, at about 7'ish. But who said it was 300 baht? I was told 700 and that made a lot more sense as it did look extremely good and the views, decor and service all felt 5 star, sort of surprising really for the Hilton chain. Anyway, I didn't feel like spending 700 on dinner tonight so I passed and I get the feeling I may not have been the only one, the place was completely empty.

I ate there quite a few times back in March - April, but noticed it going downhill over the weeks. I could see they were looking for ways to reduce costs. For example they would bring out the smoked salmon slowly. The last time I was there they didn't even have lemon. That was a good way to stop people from eating too much smoked salmon. It's a pretty lousy trick if you ask me.

I noticed they were cutting back on salmon sushi too. When you've got so many cheapskates taking the salmon off the rice, you can't blame them. Cheap buffets attract a lot of people short on table manners.

The pizza on the Wednesday's "pasta and pizza" day was terrible. None of the pasta was particularly appealing either. That was a really bad effort considering the focus was on pizza. They don't have a clue how to make pizzas and they bring them out very slowly too.

The Asian noodle day was nothing to write home about. The "wrap 'n roll" day was my favourite along with Saturday's 'focus on dessert". I didn't enjoy Friday's Seafood day.

I ate there quite a few times back in March - April, but noticed it going downhill over the weeks. I could see they were looking for ways to reduce costs. For example they would bring out the smoked salmon slowly. The last time I was there they didn't even have lemon. That was a good way to stop people from eating too much smoked salmon. It's a pretty lousy trick if you ask me.

I noticed they were cutting back on salmon sushi too. When you've got so many cheapskates taking the salmon off the rice, you can't blame them. Cheap buffets attract a lot of people short on table manners.

The pizza on the Wednesday's "pasta and pizza" day was terrible. None of the pasta was particularly appealing either. That was a really bad effort considering the focus was on pizza. They don't have a clue how to make pizzas and they bring them out very slowly too.

The Asian noodle day was nothing to write home about. The "wrap 'n roll" day was my favourite along with Saturday's 'focus on dessert". I didn't enjoy Friday's Seafood day.

This doesn't surprise me but it is disappointing. There is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to get a decent buffet in the 600 to 700 baht price range; in Bangkok you may know the King's duty-frees shopping complex in Victory Monument where they do a reasonable buffet for about that price(sometimes they even discount to 500).

What kind of sea food is available at the Friday lunch buffet at the Edge?

(by the way, you cheapies can go to the local seafood restaurant behind the Big C - South Pattaya. I think it is only 150 baht there.)

(by the way, you cheapies can go to the local seafood restaurant behind the Big C - South Pattaya. I think it is only 150 baht there.)

Had the Hilton seafood buffet three times.They had: chilled shrimp & mussels, chunks of cooked salmon with sauce, another fish prepared spicy Thai style , too. Also, had small shrimp & squid brochettes. Can't seem to recall any more. I did not see any smoked salmon at all. I really like the make-it-yourself Caesar salad, so I was content with that, some fresh bread, chilled shrimp & a bit of salmon, but since the price went up to 400 baht and I won't go back at that price. They do have excellent desserts. Important: Forget the burger buffet-gray meat and just awful taste (and the "chefs" are clueless as to how to properly cook one...)! What's the Asian Noodle buffet like, any good?

B)

The last time I was there they didn't even have lemon. That was a good way to stop people from eating too much smoked salmon. It's a pretty lousy trick if you ask me.

Hehe. Take your own lemon. :whistling:

Edited by Darrel

Had the Hilton seafood buffet three times.They had: chilled shrimp & mussels, chunks of cooked salmon with sauce, another fish prepared spicy Thai style , too. Also, had small shrimp & squid brochettes. Can't seem to recall any more. I did not see any smoked salmon at all. I really like the make-it-yourself Caesar salad, so I was content with that, some fresh bread, chilled shrimp & a bit of salmon, but since the price went up to 400 baht and I won't go back at that price. They do have excellent desserts. Important: Forget the burger buffet-gray meat and just awful taste (and the "chefs" are clueless as to how to properly cook one...)! What's the Asian Noodle buffet like, any good?

B)

The last time I went there was in April. Back then they always had loads of smoked salmon. People were shoveling it up big time so I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped serving it. Maybe they only bring it out on certain days now. Forget the Asian noodle day.

ok, i think its about time breakfast buffets were discussed.

i checked out 4 this morning in my search to find one i liked the look of at the right price, didn't eat at any, just looked:

apex : 150 baht, usual cheap ham, usual crackly bacon, a lot looked like left overs from evening buffet the night before, no cereal, cheap looking bread, poor fruit selection, over priced cr*p

dianne just down from apex: 110 baht, selection looked better than apex as they had cereal, very popular

casa pascal : 175 baht, tiny selection, probably higher quality than dianne/apex, but the spread was just too limited to be appetizing

marriot : 750 baht i think, looked very good, but who wants to pay 750 baht for breakfast?

btw, i ate kao pat gai on soi post office, 50 baht, i think it should have been 40 max

ok, i think its about time breakfast buffets were discussed.

i checked out 4 this morning in my search to find one i liked the look of at the right price, didn't eat at any, just looked:

apex : 150 baht, usual cheap ham, usual crackly bacon, a lot looked like left overs from evening buffet the night before, no cereal, cheap looking bread, poor fruit selection, over priced cr*p

dianne just down from apex: 110 baht, selection looked better than apex as they had cereal, very popular

casa pascal : 175 baht, tiny selection, probably higher quality than dianne/apex, but the spread was just too limited to be appetizing

marriot : 750 baht i think, looked very good, but who wants to pay 750 baht for breakfast?

btw, i ate kao pat gai on soi post office, 50 baht, i think it should have been 40 max

Ok the Hilton thread is getting a little long in the tooth so I will help you thread f@@k it. You missed the Lek across the street from the Apex. It is marginally better than the Apex, better fresh fruit selection, some cereal, better bread, and overall more choice for the same 110 baht price of Diane.

For the English teachers, you can get a book of 10 coupons for 1000 baht.

I think we need to start a new thread if we are going to discuss buffet deals all around the town, this one is to do with the Hilton. Stay on topic please.

Please ignore my earlier comments. I went to the Hilton Buffet this afternoon and it hasn't gone downhill since my first try in March. It was about the same and there was plenty of smoked salmon and lemon. There must have been some supply problems on the occasions I noted it was going downhill.

Saturday is "focus on desserts" day.

i had the most amazing sashimi at night and they charged me 800!!!

but it was as good as anything back in the states, no, NEW YORK!

all you can eat, tuna, salmon, and YELLOW TAIL, fantastic

please note this is without rice!!!!

and that was only a small corner of the spread

so if that is still the case well worth it !!!!

Would you class this place as kid friendly......

Any play areas or is it all upmarket ?

I sincerely hope that anyone under 16 is completely banned. Nothing worse than hearing brats misbehaving when you're trying to enjoy a nice meal, especially if you have paid 300B for it.

Kids under 16 should be banned from Pattaya completely!

They always have a mother in attendance, and it's they that complain about the bar scene.

If there weren't any families coming to Pattaya, there wouldn't be any pressure to change it.

We'd all live happily ever after.

Was that a buffet? The seafood buffet on Friday night? I just read this:

http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from-around-pattaya/hilton-pattaya-earns-tripadvisor-certificate-of-excellence/

Seems they are getting really good reviews for the hotel also. I also saw this:

Monday Lunch – Wrap & Roll featuring sushi, tortillas & other rolls

Tuesday Lunch – Pizza & Pasta featuring Italian flavor in the kitchen & some flying dough

Wednesday Lunch – Sandwiches & Burgers featuring classics & some new favorites

Thursday Lunch – Asian noodles featuring all menus about noodles

Friday Lunch – Pattaya Seafood featuring seafood on ice or from the grill

Saturday Lunch – Dessert featuring international delights & homemade cakes

Was that a buffet? The seafood buffet on Friday night? I just read this:

http://pattayatoday....-of-excellence/

Seems they are getting really good reviews for the hotel also. I also saw this:

Monday Lunch – Wrap & Roll featuring sushi, tortillas & other rolls

Tuesday Lunch – Pizza & Pasta featuring Italian flavor in the kitchen & some flying dough

Wednesday Lunch – Sandwiches & Burgers featuring classics & some new favorites

Thursday Lunch – Asian noodles featuring all menus about noodles

Friday Lunch – Pattaya Seafood featuring seafood on ice or from the grill

Saturday Lunch – Dessert featuring international delights & homemade cakes

I've tried most of those (except Wed & Thurs) and there's no denying, it's the best value lunch available in Pattaya.

Are there usually tables available or is it always packed? I mean now, low season. Assume it is packed high season.

I would recommend booking a table if you want to guarantee and table inside. Even same day morning booking won't guarantee an inside table. Their telephone booking is efficient. They have outdoor terrace seating, which I tried once, but I don't find it pleasant in the afternoon sun. Now that the word is out on Thaivisa, it may get a lot busier.

Are there usually tables available or is it always packed? I mean now, low season. Assume it is packed high season.

I also recommend a reservation. We went there one time and could not get a table. I guess there are lots of tour groups who go there, taking up 30+ seats at a go. When we were there, the rooms were also fully booked out. Not sure of the occupancy percentage, but they are doing very, very well. Can't wait until they get the sky bar open next March or so.

http://www.tatnews.org/AWARDS_WON_BY_THAILAND/5516.asp

Hilton Pattaya has won four prestigious awards including “Best Hotel Architecture, Asia Pacific”, “Best Hotel Architecture, Thailand”, “Best New Hotel Construction and Design, Thailand”, and a High Commendation for Hotel Interior, Thailand by the inaugural Asia Pacific Hotel Awards 2011 held in association with Bloomberg Television. The awards were presented at Longemont Hotel, Shanghai on May 31.

I also recommend a reservation. We went there one time and could not get a table. I guess there are lots of tour groups who go there, taking up 30+ seats at a go.

There are lots of tour groups going there. I've encountered them on several occasions and they diminish the dining experience. If you walk in there and see lots of bottles of water set up on the tables, you know you're in for an invasion.