Violence Feared After Key Thai Elections

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated previously:

OK, I think we've had enough rehash of the red/yellow antics of the past. The thread is about violence after this upcoming election in a matter of days. Stick to that topic.

Another post rehashing the past has been removed.

If you keep stealing the election and don't let the voice of the majority be heard, of course there will be discontent and eventually violence.

Suppression of its people has led to the downfall of many. Thailand isn't the first. Thailand won't be the last.

If you keep stealing the election and don't let the voice of the majority be heard, of course there will be discontent and eventually violence.

Suppression of its people has led to the downfall of many. Thailand isn't the first. Thailand won't be the last.

The voice of which majority? Do you mean the majority that didn't vote for PPP?

If a majority don't vote for PTP, will the red shirts still find an excuse for their violence?

Edited by whybother

Yes no violence from either sector, peace be on all men, regardless of opinion, lets hope and pray for a peaceful in Thailand and that it really can become again The Land of Smiles. My sincere good wishes to all Thailand and all its people and to all those we/I debate with on this Forum

Well boys, the game is upon us. Time to put on your best hair shirt, stock up on essentials, turn on the telly and root for your team, be it red, yellow, blue, etc.

Quite amusing how farang with no skin in the game pick sides in the ongoing political train wreck known as Thai politics, as if their opinion actually matters. que rico!

Speak for yourself about having no skin in the game. Many of us are heavily invested here, in various ways.

If the PT 'win' the upcoming election by a large majority, what is the likely reaction of the PAD or Democrats or military likely to be? Conversely, if the Democrats 'win' what will the PT and the red shirts likely do?

Regardless of who wins, if there are demonstrations, how will any gov't likely respond this time around?

Well boys, the game is upon us. Time to put on your best hair shirt, stock up on essentials, turn on the telly and root for your team, be it red, yellow, blue, etc.

Quite amusing how farang with no skin in the game pick sides in the ongoing political train wreck known as Thai politics, as if their opinion actually matters. que rico!

Speak for yourself about having no skin in the game. Many of us are heavily invested here, in various ways.

So money is your motif? people come next but first take care of my money, for sure I do not want to become one of those poor I loath so much

So money is your motif? people come next but first take care of my money, for sure I do not want to become one of those poor I loath so much

Get a grip, dude. Read it again. VARIOUS WAYS. Did I say money only?

Quote: "Last year the Reds brought Bangkok to a standstill with a two month-long demonstration that drew an estimated 100,000 people at its peak, and ended in an army crackdown that left more than 90 people dead."

Shame that the reporter did not mention how the PAD brought THE COUNTRY to a standstill with it's occupation of the airport. Thailand tourism is still suffering today due to this.

I didn't realise that the "Yellow Shirts" have overtaken the Democrats even.... tsk tsk.

The airport was inoperable for less than a week and PAD leaders have been charged, some found guilty, ordered to pay damages. PAD leaders appealed, ongoing.

The reds were busy from March to May 2010, caused 91 deaths (mostly indirect by being violent and provoking). Lots of UDD leaders charged, only two currently jailed, awaiting process. Some buildings torched still to be renovated, rebuild. The militant arm of the PTPUDD with 60+ grenades raining down on Bangkok (killing a Thai lady at BTS Saladaeng a.o.) did more to damage tourism than those yellow-shirts who apologised to tourists for interrupting their flights.

(edit: add: if we are to believe the TAT tourists numbers have improved even with national protests and a global financial crisis. Tourism still suffering because of the yellow-shirts, my foot)

Im still waiting for my apology, when I was stuck in Dubai. I never got a hotel or anything, just you have to standby.:jap: To all the other posts, I am still laughing, I wonder who controls the TV and News in Thailand that you all watch.

All this aside, I hope Thailand works out its diferences as we dont want any more dead. Let the people who get in Government on Sunday have a flourishing term for Thailand and its people.

Get a grip, dude. Read it again. VARIOUS WAYS. Did I say money only?

Get a grip dude. Thats my sense of humour, but with all truth its about people, not investment, I wish you well, I wish Thailand peace, I wish us all peace, Get a grip dude, great stuff

Say, the redshirts will get 40% of the votes, and the yellowshirts get 35%.

Who is the winner?

The redshirts.

But will it be possible for them to form a coalition?

Or will the yellowshirt be able to do that?

Anyway, the possibility that the redshirts will refer to violence is very real.

Why?

Because no way will they want to see that having 40% of the votes is NOT a majority.

And if other parties do not want to form a coalition, well, I guess there will be violence.

If the government can be formed by a yellowshirt coalition, same recipe.

I am afraid, having heard the warnings of the army boss, the army might not stand apart.

Same recipe for violence.

If, suppose, the redshirts will get less votes as the yellowshirts, same recipe.

Sorry to say, the redshirts laid down the basis, fired up by a family and friends of the family, for the possible violence.

Let us just hope reason will prevail.

Say, the redshirts will get 40% of the votes, and the yellowshirts get 35%.

Who is the winner?

The redshirts.

But will it be possible for them to form a coalition?

Or will the yellowshirt be able to do that?

Anyway, the possibility that the redshirts will refer to violence is very real.

Why?

Because no way will they want to see that having 40% of the votes is NOT a majority.

And if other parties do not want to form a coalition, well, I guess there will be violence.

If the government can be formed by a yellowshirt coalition, same recipe.

I am afraid, having heard the warnings of the army boss, the army might not stand apart.

Same recipe for violence.

If, suppose, the redshirts will get less votes as the yellowshirts, same recipe.

Sorry to say, the redshirts laid down the basis, fired up by a family and friends of the family, for the possible violence.

Let us just hope reason will prevail.

correction: the yellow shirts are campaigning for a "no" vote, so they certainly aren't in contention for 35% of the vote. Prospectively, the Democrats may get the 35% you speak of, and could well for a coalition to make a house majority, same as the current UK government. Yellows does not equal Democrats, though.

for you and me,and everyone the gangsters will not get control,and thats a good thing,you reds want blood sure its coming.

pt may get majority,40% but not enough,dems will form again like it or not,and thailand will go on.

idont want to be here if the gangsters get in and after a while you wont too.

blind and dumb is all i can say,we not in eu now or theUSA thank god.

peace to all tv members we dont have a vote but some of us have our lives here.not on vacation.

i hope in 2 weeks we can debate again,but and thats a big but.seek what you find.budda

Shouldn't people be looking at this election with more of a global perspective considering how many hotspots there are around the world right now?

Should there happen to be violence after the elections in Thailand, how will anyone really know whether some of it is not being stoked by external “ forces “ other than Thai supporters of the various coloured groups ? Looking at what's going on on the streets of Athens today they have evidence there are provocateurs amidst the protestors that are only there to taunt the security forces.

There is some weird stuff going on in some of these protests around the world right now and may be the puppet masters see this election as an opportunity not to be missed to introduce anarchy here.

Personally I think its quite likely the PT will get most votes, but not enough to form a Gov., and will fail to glean enough small party support to form a colalition - helped on by the Vote No campaign possibly (number wise) - and this will drag into another election, a caretaker Gov. and another round of violence from opposing political parties. I hope I am wrong (about the violence at least - but I doubt it).

I feel it would be best to just start over and ban all current/past politicians and parties and disdallow publication of previous party/politician alliegence/sponsorship etc (clean slate) - allow a fixed/limited number of parties (left, right, middle perhaps) and let everyone just choose a line to stand in - first past the post.

Oh, well - one thing I feel is for sure - who ever wins (or whichever group ends up with the batton as it were), it will make little difference to us expats in the long term - still be pointless hurdles for us to jump and blockers at every turn stopping us being able to become a part of the country (or part of our Thai families with any security of being able to stay that way) or even paying back to the community - we will still be the wolves that hunt the Thai sheep (sheep seems a fitting simile currently!), scapegoats all. Whichever devil inherits "paradise", we ain't getting any of the ambrosia that's for sure!

By now there are a few posts I'd normally feel inclined to reply to. I'm refraining from doing so as I don't like my posts removed. That is something which may happen to the ones I'm ignoring, given that the mod's already FOUR times voiced they had enough of the rehash of the red/yellow antics in the past (at this moment post 56, #60, #62 and #71).

So, boys and girls, the topic is "violence feared after key Thai election" :)

As stated previously:

As stated previously:

OK, I think we've had enough rehash of the red/yellow antics of the past. The thread is about violence after this upcoming election in a matter of days. Stick to that topic.

Another post rehashing the past has been removed.

More posts rehashing the past and replies have been removed.

Another post posing a question as to the sourcing of the News article has been removed. The sources are usually picked up on RSS feeds, perhaps the member who posed this question might like to post his question in the Forum help desk or send a PM to the party involved.

stating obvious is it not. If Taksin wins their will be war. If taksin looses their will be war and it will get a lot worse before it gets better. Until Taksin is taken out one way or another or his party abandon him then he will never give up and will continue to cause chaos

I think you are wrong. Whose buying the votes this time????? Do you know???? I know! and so far it is not the Phua Thai party.

I really get a big laugh out of all the replies here.Hahahaha. Some are really stupid and some are very good. It is really remarkable that so many people are really onesided not just sometimes but all the time. I wish the Thai government a lot of luck this time out. They really need it.

Thaksin doesn't impress me as someone you can actually have GOOD FAITH negotiations with. Sorry about that, but isn't that obviously true based on his past words and actions?

I do feel he is a tragic figure and totally linked to the probably grim near term future of Thailand. I feel this is going to end badly somehow probably for both Thaksin AND Thailand, that Black Songkran and Bangkok Burning were precursors of something even more tragic.

You can count on that. He is after his money and he is not going to stop with that. He wants more.

If an understanding can be reached whereby, the military and protestors will give Peua Thai the chance to govern, provided they don't overstep their mark or bring Thaksin back, I'm sure we can navigate our way out of this crisis. They are welcome to work within the framework of the law to explore avenues for his rehabilitation (they should not imagine that he will be able to get off scott free), but anything manipulate should expect a protest.

Thaksin might necessary take revenge (except against Newin perhaps) but rather use it from a position of strength to strike a deal with the military. He's never going to go away, and unfortunately he has the masses behind him, so ultimately a deal needs to be struck, but this isn't the final round, they will throw the law book at him and probably be able to legitimately pull it off (after PT isn't a proper political party), so that will be their negotiating position. If Thaksin can find it in himself to admit some guilt and take some punishment we can finally move towards reconciliation.

The seizure of 49 billion baht seems to be a fair punishment to me.

Until he gets it back everyone might think so. He is on the track for recovering that money. He will do so if PT wins the election. Do you know what you can get away with in Thailand for 49 Million Baht. Buy yourself out of murder, drug trafficking and other things a few times.

Overall numbers are up? Perhaps the 'islands', but certainly not in BKK or Patts!

Yes, overall numbers are up. I am not sure that your assumption regarding where is correct. As to Sotsira's post ---- I think the political violence of the reds cost the country the most both in the short-term and in the longer term. It certainly cost the most in terms of damage. The image of Thailand got dinged by both but days and days of reporting about violence in the capitol certainly hurt worse than passengers stranded for about a week. Other countries have had similar results from airport strikes etc.

The SET has taken a beating lately due to the fear of more political violence that would probably account for more loss than the rally at the airport did, all on its own.

Not to provoke an argument but where did you get your data from, regarding the numbers of toursits? I work in hotels and my partner in tourism and we both have 'felt' a distinct drop in business. Perhaps this is our geographical location or out respective demongraphics????

Maybe the local and Asian tourist are up but foreigners are not. Like it or not they are the money spenders. My wife's shop has seen the decline.

Quote: "Last year the Reds brought Bangkok to a standstill with a two month-long demonstration that drew an estimated 100,000 people at its peak, and ended in an army crackdown that left more than 90 people dead."

Shame that the reporter did not mention how the PAD brought THE COUNTRY to a standstill with it's occupation of the airport. Thailand tourism is still suffering today due to this.

I think it much more likely tourism was damaged by the images broadcast around the world of Bangkok burning and the deaths in the streets, all at the hands of the redshits, than the two week closure of the airport by the yellows.

Yes, the airport closure was not good, but at least it was non-violent.

Sorry to break your bubble mate.

I had several of my compatriots ask me about the RIOTS in Bangkok. I told them that there were just places to steer clear of. Not one ever mentioned the Yellow shirt deal at the airport.

Why does ignorance prevail more in the educated, than the uneducated?

Chiang mai tourism has been abysmal for 3 years now. What happened 3 years ago?

What happened about 3 years ago? Hmmmmmmmm the Global Financial Crisis?

http://www.globaliss...inancial-crisis

Global Financial Crisis

Author and Page information

* by Anup Shah

* This Page Last Updated Saturday, December 11, 2010

* This page: http://www.globaliss...nancial-crisis.

* To print all information e.g. expanded side notes, shows alternative links, use the print version:

o http://www.globaliss...int/article/768

The global financial crisis, brewing for a while, really started to show its effects in the middle of 2007 and into 2008. Around the world stock markets have fallen, large financial institutions have collapsed or been bought out, and governments in even the wealthiest nations have had to come up with rescue packages to bail out their financial systems.

I could give you scads more links showing that it started in 2007 but was really felt in the latter 1/2 of 2008 ....

I do not dispute, the World financial crash had an enormous effect on tourism, But others would dispute that the Airport seizure had any contribution towards failing tourism or in fact that there is any decline in tourism, You can not go on Government figures, that is just believing what someone wants you to believe.

If you are or were in the tourist sector industry, you will know without published figures that tourism is down considerably from 3 years ago. Yes agree 2 factors. Financial crash and Airport seizure..

I have no political stand in Thailand, I do not favor any against any other party, I just try to see things as they are and not how I wished they were

Since most on this forum can't vote (or drink alcohol during election times), or even have a full depth of knowledge of Thai politics, it is unlikely that we have a real political stand. My stand is that Thaksin is a crook and a criminal. The only part of that, that is political is his political influence.

Since most on this forum can't vote (or drink alcohol during election times), or even have a full depth of knowledge of Thai politics, it is unlikely that we have a real political stand. My stand is that Thaksin is a crook and a criminal. The only part of that, that is political is his political influence.

I think you would be suprised at how little the average Thai worker knows or cares about Thai politics. Of the more than 40 Thai people in my department, only one has an in depth understanding of Thai politics. The rest know as little as is provided to them on Channels 3 or 7 between soap operas. Having said that, many of my colleagues are worried about potential violence after the elections and the impact it will have on them and their ability to make a living. They really haven't given the future of the country a thought.

I have my likes and dislikes in terms of political parties and candidates, but to be honest about it, like my colleagues, I too am only really concerned about the impact any post election violence will have on my ability to provide for my family.