Violence Feared After Key Thai Elections

webfact

Well here is another lot of opinion, who started the violence, if you were not standing next to the person who gave the order or next to the person who made a shot, then it is all your opinion who started it, that makes it bigoted opinion and that is the worst kind, for it is not open to debate. I wasn't there I do not know, even though I followed it on T.V and seen the U-Tube, but I was not there

As I stated I have no political stance at all in Thailand, its not my country, but I have noted as an impartial observer, that Farang supporters of the Yellow (camp may we say) far accede the supporters of the (red camp) But the supporters of the red (camp) seem to be a lot more open minded and less prejudice.

Before you make your comment: read what I have written as your comment will probably show I am right.

I live in the heart of the Red Camp, as you say. While I have to say, I see things from their perspective, I believe they spend so much time working that they have little idea about any form the government might be taking. This is why the vote buying is so prevalent and works so well.

It is my opinion that all political parties in Thailand (and the rest of the world) are corrupt. Some more than others so that corruption becomes relative. I will not try to influence who they vote for but I will say that the 'Red Shirt camp" has been influence by the most corrupt of the corrupt (in Thailand) and they should have figured that out from the violence that ensued. Some actually did but it did little to soften their disdain for the BKK elite. They have no clue that Thaksin is of the same ilk. They only know that he buys their vote but they think it is normal.

I cannot support any political faction in this country. I refuse to garner any support for either. You have one party that is going to give a Tablet PC to every student that they don't educate. You have another party that is going to raise wages by 25% in 2 years. Both are ridiculous thoughts. Completely out of scope with the situation of the country. Although I have to admit any wage increase (if it were true) be much more practical than a Notebook PC for every student. With a wage increase maybe a few more students could get educated.

You are correct about the Farang supporters of the 'Red Shirt camp' but that can go no where unless there were a political party worth voting for.

Edited by Gonsalviz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here is another lot of opinion, who started the violence, if you were not standing next to the person who gave the order or next to the person who made a shot, then it is all your opinion who started it, that makes it bigoted opinion and that is the worst kind, for it is not open to debate. I wasn't there I do not know, even though I followed it on T.V and seen the U-Tube, but I was not there

As I stated I have no political stance at all in Thailand, its not my country, but I have noted as an impartial observer, that Farang supporters of the Yellow (camp may we say) far accede the supporters of the (red camp) But the supporters of the red (camp) seem to be a lot more open minded and less prejudice.

Before you make your comment: read what I have written as your comment will probably show I am right.

I think you get a mixture on both sides. Some think that their side is as white as white, and it was all the fault of the other side.

In reality, there was fault on both sides, and a quite a few posters see that, but post against the opposing sides "we were as white as white - it was all their fault" posts.

If the red shirts had not stormed parliament and Thaicom before April 10, and not had their armed militia on the night of April 10, there might have been a completely different outcome.

If the police/army had not allowed the red shirts to set up their petrol soaked, bamboo and tyre barricades and then, later, not allowed the red shirts to restock their burning tyres, there might also have been a different outcome.

If the red shirts had not set buildings alight in Bangkok and the provinces they would be much better placed now.

Who ever started the shooting on April 10, the question should be: Why were "peaceful protesters" armed with guns and grenades?

Exactly, although there are two sides to all stories, --WHY block main roads - why occupy areas without permission, why the barricades if it's a peaceful protest and weapons??. Any thought about fellow Thai People living / working in the area--any thought about tourist-- Poor workers from Issan ???? they have time to neglect their crops and land and families ??? NOT CARE..no.== Paid mercenaries no less, sick selfish people ( Maybe they have a point to make ) but this way no. All whipped up by nothing short of nutters asking them to do something they cannot do alone. How some posters can overlook the staring facts--and someone asked a silly question about who fired the first shot, with what was going on it didn't really matter did it. one side dug in to stay illegally the army having the job to get them out as the situ was ridiculous, and dangerous to the country. If the police had been around to set up road checks-for tea money--no bamboos-no weapons- no tyres - another way to prevent but no action.

Edited by ginjag

Since most on this forum can't vote (or drink alcohol during election times), or even have a full depth of knowledge of Thai politics, it is unlikely that we have a real political stand. My stand is that Thaksin is a crook and a criminal. The only part of that, that is political is his political influence.

I think you would be suprised at how little the average Thai worker knows or cares about Thai politics. Of the more than 40 Thai people in my department, only one has an in depth understanding of Thai politics. The rest know as little as is provided to them on Channels 3 or 7 between soap operas. Having said that, many of my colleagues are worried about potential violence after the elections and the impact it will have on them and their ability to make a living. They really haven't given the future of the country a thought.

I have my likes and dislikes in terms of political parties and candidates, but to be honest about it, like my colleagues, I too am only really concerned about the impact any post election violence will have on my ability to provide for my family.

I would not be surprised at all. Read my other posts. Since we are supposed to keep on topic, it my dearest hope that it does not happen again but with the MAN in charge, I am expecting it.

I'm not sure where your red camp supporters are more open minded comment comes from. Certainly not from my experience on here.B)

+1 I tried to look at some other posts and threads to see evidence of this but could find none.

Well boys, the game is upon us. Time to put on your best hair shirt, stock up on essentials, turn on the telly and root for your team, be it red, yellow, blue, etc.

Quite amusing how farang with no skin in the game pick sides in the ongoing political train wreck known as Thai politics, as if their opinion actually matters. que rico!

Any one who lives here has a skin in the game.Many of us have thai wives, thai children and/or thai businesses. We will have to deal with post election violence. i also have family members that are pro red that have gone to protests in chiang mai. I do not relish the potential harm that may befall them if they escalate their involvement in red politics. I also do not like to think of possible dangers in taking my kids to school or going shopping if underground terrorist activity starts up in the north. If i remember correctly that was a threat made by the reds during the Bangkok protests.

Wolfmanjack, thank you for the post. What you posted is one of the reasons for trying to keep this thread on topic. There are a lot of implications if there is civil unrest or violence. It makes a great deal of difference to people who have businesses, investments or family in the country.

Sanoh says he will quit politics if Yingluck does not get to become PM; confident Pheu Thai will win more than 300 seats /TAN_Network

Good news. Sanoh is going to quit politics next week.

S'noh is 78? He abandoned his own party to run under the PTP banner. He managed to avoid jail this year because the statute of limitations on the Alpine Golf court case expired .... he's as dirty as they come in Thai politics. (imho ;) )

Well boys, the game is upon us. Time to put on your best hair shirt, stock up on essentials, turn on the telly and root for your team, be it red, yellow, blue, etc.

Quite amusing how farang with no skin in the game pick sides in the ongoing political train wreck known as Thai politics, as if their opinion actually matters. que rico!

Any one who lives here has a skin in the game.Many of us have thai wives, thai children and/or thai businesses. We will have to deal with post election violence. i also have family members that are pro red that have gone to protests in chiang mai. I do not relish the potential harm that may befall them if they escalate their involvement in red politics. I also do not like to think of possible dangers in taking my kids to school or going shopping if underground terrorist activity starts up in the north. If i remember correctly that was a threat made by the reds during the Bangkok protests.

Mr and Mrs Changers whole heartedly agree. We do not want or need violence as we do our daily market trip, we do not want to see our friends placed in mortal danger. We have a small shop and food stall with customers who share the same life problems we do.

We are in the "game" and Sunday is going to be full of emotion. I'm saddened to think that possible civil upheaval is amusement for some.

It's more than likely there will be violence. The unfortunate mix of the massive wealth gap, corruption/vote buying, precedence of chaos, and threat of military intervention all form an ill prospect.

I believe this will be near term. MUCH will change in the coming decade. I can only hope that Thailand emerges from these turbulent times as a more just, fair, and free country.

IMO as long as PT don't win in a landslide, the different factions will cut a deal, and find a way of living with each other. After all - its bad for business.

True. Abhisit laid it on the line last week at Thursday's rally.... it really boils down to whether the majority want to see old Khun_T return. The majority will decide by whether PT get a straight majority or not.