Pink Salt

MamaSan

I bought pure sodium nitrite from a chemical supply store and diluted it to 6.75% in solution in water. Works well as a substitute for pink salt. The pure stuff is very dangerous which is why I didn't try mixing it with salt, as they would in pink salt.

Anyway, I've got enough pure nitrite to cure a bajllion pounds of meat - so if you want some and are comfortable diluting it yourself, then send me a pm.

I bought pure sodium nitrite from a chemical supply store and diluted it to 6.75% in solution in water. Works well as a substitute for pink salt. The pure stuff is very dangerous which is why I didn't try mixing it with salt, as they would in pink salt.

Anyway, I've got enough pure nitrite to cure a bajllion pounds of meat - so if you want some and are comfortable diluting it yourself, then send me a pm.

If you use it you should look up its max concentration.

I bought 200 grams from an old woman here in Thab Khlo for 20 baht. These are chunks of rock that I used a mortar and turned into a powder. I just add a small pinch to a gallon of water. Makes great corned beef also. Too much will kill you, as it prevents the body from being able to absorb oxygen. Use with care.

I too found Sodium Nitrite at the shop on Suthep Rd as I finished all the Prague Cure (Pink Salt) I'd brought with me from overseas the last time. Just 160 Baht a kilo, as I'm not looking for commercial use, interested in splitting a box? Dangerous stuff to have around the house. It's not the cost, it just that's a crazy amount for the 2 - 4 pork loins I cure a year - but man do they turn out good.

Know if anybody knows a good smoker in Chiang Mai?

Nervous about the fire works grade course nitrite, one small undissolved chunk could cause a serious health risk. Also anyone tried curing using ascorbic acid added to there curing solution, to reduce carcinogenic nitrosimines?

Sounds like you playing with fire,please do you home work and research as you may well kill yourself and others. We inport our cure thats FDA approved and safe.most nitrate/nitrite used in thailand is used by farmers on crops as it is not pure which means its not fit for food safty or FDA approved, Just a warning.

Nitrite Poisoning Symptoms

There are twelve main symptoms of nitrite poisoning. Some people may only experience mild symptoms whilst others may have severe experiences, even life threatening ones. However, regardless of the severity of the symptoms, getting immediate medical assistance and emergency care is necessary to avoid potentially permanent damage or death. These symptoms include:

• Seizures
  • Diarrhea
  • Cyanosis
  • Dizziness or light headedness
  • Nausea
  • Blurry vision
  • Vomiting
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Irritated skin
  • Flushing
  • Headaches

Conclusion

Nitrite poisoning is not always a major problem, but if it is left untreated, it can cause internal damage. With more serious versions of the symptoms, getting a person to a hospital is important to avoid death. Most importantly, if a person suspects that they or someone else has got potential nitrite poisoning, identifying how they became poisoned and what the source of the poisoning is must be assessed whilst waiting for emergency personnel to arrive. In addition, as with any suspected poisoning, speaking to a person's local poison control center is the first step and they in turn in emergency situations can send immediate emergency help. Plus, never administer any medications or give food or water unless otherwise instructed to do so, unless the person attending has the experience and knowledge of how to treat nitrite poisoning. Learning how to avoid this poisoning is another good step when working with nitrites or around any products that may contain them.

Word has it that your neighbor smokes more than enough B)

Edited by SausageKing

Ok.

About the use of ascorbic acid added to there curing solution, which was a discussion back in university concern chemical use in the food industry, which is done on the commercial level to reduce carcinogenic nitrosamines? Reportly a small amount of acid, 500 to 1500 ppm according to other websites, prevents the formation of the cancer causing amines.

Anybody?

And who's neighbor?

instacure number 1

got mine delivered for a little extra with some other bits n pieces, worth it rather than gambling with localled sourced stuff. have made great hams, bacons etc etc get a lot more meat for your baht compared to buying from local curers/shops/suppliers, and slightly more satisfying as well!

made nearly 3 kilos of bacon for about 300 THB

a great book on curing

Local lab or reagent grade sodium nitrite, properly handled, measured or weighed, and dissolved is no more dangerous then any other household chemical. And it's a cured food, where the properly prepared product should contain none of the original chemicals, just some salt. Many people I know have sodium hydroxide in the house; don't let the kiddos play with that.

Growing up curing was done with potassium nitrite, farm feed wholesale grade, what ever that was. And I judge all bacon I have since against those fantastic smoked bacon slabs of my youth. I've made super dry cured hams, a presunto recipe that is fantastic, but where to hang here.

nothing is too dangerous and nothing is too safe .

what we should do is understand what we do .

you can get chemical supply in many places in Thailand and chiangmai .

near Wat pat sing . near the super highway about 500 meter after the chiangmai land exist on the highway .

there is also one near Jedyod -

my father got some for fish and the result was very bad whahhahah but he did some pork and it taste good . but i prefer fresh meat .

food process is never easy it take some common sense and knowledge so you get good food .

but do not let all this stop you .

if you need a map let me know would draw a map for you ..

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread that I found on the search mode.............

Thanks for the offer, but it might be easier just to go to the Chemical shop and buy it......can't be too expensive. Was it 'World Chemical' on the airport road just past Chiangmailand rd??

and just to confirm......it's 6.75% sodium nitrite to 93.25% salt, right?

I know a successful local German sausage maker that says he simply adds 5 grams to a kilo of salt and he has been in business for years, sending his products all over the Kingdom.

I know a successful local German sausage maker that says he simply adds 5 grams to a kilo of salt and he has been in business for years, sending his products all over the Kingdom.

5 grams per kilo would be about 0.5 %, or 13 times less concentrated as a 6.75% solution - that's a big difference!

5 grams per kilo would be about 0.5 %, or 13 times less concentrated as a 6.75% solution - that's a big difference!

Usually you would take that mixture and then dilute it further with salt.

Anyway, I get my sodium nitrite (reagent grade) from Union Science. It's on Doi Suthep road almost slightly to the east of where it intersects with Nimmanheiman. Here are the GPS coordinates: 18.789886,98.963792

Agree, CH that it is a low amount, compared with what the 'experts' say and that's why I questioned it. You know who I am talking about and he is a successful 'master sausage maker' and that was his recommended dosage when I asked and he gave me a little bag that I have been using....successfully so far, but research has convinced me to err on the safe side.

And thanks 'butter' for the directions.......that's for the sodium nitrite, not the pink Prague salt??