I am at this time on a multy entry 90 day visa my first 90 days will be up 31 JAN I ask at Chiangmai immagration about a support visa as I have a Thai Wife but they adviced me to get a retirement visa less hassle Imet a aussie here who told me they charge you when you report every 90 days 1900 baht and cancel your multy entry visa any ideas on which visa is best and are you charged every 90 days

PHIL

Assuming that you meet all the requirements for a retirement visa, and are here to retire, not to work, the advice on getting a retirement visa is sensible, as a retirement visa allows you to stay here independently, a year at a time, ....i.e., even if the marriage fails, and you will be here in your own right, not as a dependent.

I'll let someone else address the recurring payment of the B1900 and the multiple entry visa cancellation, but it does not sound like correct advice. If you get a retirement visa, it is good for a year. The purpose of the multiple reentry as far as i know is to avoid paying the B1900 each time you re-enter the country.

I don't know what 90 day reporting you are talking about. The only 90 day requirement I know of is that you will be required to report your address every 90 days, when you are here on any kind of extended stay, such as a non-immigrant retirement visa.

Was the Aussie drinking ? The 1900 baht relates to a visa extension fee. The visa will enable you to stay in Thailand a year. If you travel out of the country you need a re-entry permi ( multiple if you travel a lot ) Your old visa won't be cancelled, but it won't be of effect because the extension of the old visa being the visa thereafter, along with the re-entry permit/s. There shouldn't be much more to do for a visa based on marriage to a Thai, but Chiang Mai is not noted for being easy to deal with. Good luck.