Aquaponics In Thailand

krauti

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very interesting concept, I have been viewing a lot of DIY videos and reading all the articles on the INTERNET and I think I will give it a try!

Thank you for the idea.

Cheers::)

Edited by kikoman

Has anyone set up in the north east of Thailand so I could please take a look and pick your brains ? I have a few questions before I build mine

You'll have to wait till Feb. IA knows all about my plans. We are halfway betwen Lalom and the border

at a village called Ban Non Kien. I'm hoping that there will be another meeting in Feb so that I can attend and share some ideas

I gave this a bit of a try a while back, but didn't really have the time to do it properly. It seems most suited to places with water scarcity, which is why it's become popular in Australia where water restrictions prevented people from having veggie patches.

Reading Aquaculture forums, people were using lots of recycled containers, such as old baths, ICB's and blue barrels, which they were getting free or very cheap. Even second hand, these are all relatively expensive here. Also, if there's heavy rain, your set up should be covered, to prevent water loss.

So all up the costs seem too expensive to make it a viable business proposition in LOS where fish and veggies are already cheap. Worldwide I think there are very few commercial aquaponics set ups.

Nonetheless, it could be a great hobby and way to learn more about the science behind organics.

Has anyone set up in the north east of Thailand so I could please take a look and pick your brains ? I have a few questions before I build mine

You'll have to wait till Feb. IA knows all about my plans. We are halfway betwen Lalom and the border

at a village called Ban Non Kien. I'm hoping that there will be another meeting in Feb so that I can attend and share some ideas

I am 99% sure I am going to do this as soon as it stops raining. This rain has put me 3 months behind where I wanted to be I can not get any soil delivered no one wants to start a job even lay a few blocks. I may have to build it myself If it keeps up quick question what medium is best in a grow bed in a con flow system ?

I am 99% sure I am going to do this as soon as it stops raining. This rain has put me 3 months behind where I wanted to be I can not get any soil delivered no one wants to start a job even lay a few blocks. I may have to build it myself If it keeps up quick question what medium is best in a grow bed in a con flow system ?

^ I think gravel would be your best bet for a medium.

Andy

I agree. Pea-gravel is ideal but make sure you wash it .

The main points to remember are:-

Match the volume of the gravel in the beds to the water in the tank ie 3 cu M water = 3 cu M gravel ( A 2m circular tank 1m deep needs a GB filter 7m X 1.5m x300mm deep)

Run the system continuously for at least 2 weeks before stocking with fish (you can chuck a few goldfish in)

Put flow control valves into the system so that you can match the in/out flow thro the grow beds

Don't forget to cover the whole lot with a shade-net canopy

good luck

Bob

Andy

Match the volume of the gravel in the beds to the water in the tank ie 3 cu M water = 3 cu M gravel ( A 2m circular tank 1m deep needs a GB filter 7m X 1.5m x300mm deep)

Run the system continuously for at least 2 weeks before stocking with fish (you can chuck a few goldfish in)

Put flow control valves into the system so that you can match the in/out flow thro the grow beds

good luck

Bob

Bob,

Any thoughts on the points I raised? I'd love to do AP, it just seems too expensive here. Regarding the tank to GB ratio, I thought it was twice the volume of GBs to fish tanks?

Andy

good luck

Bob

Bob,

Any thoughts on the points I raised? I'd love to do AP, it just seems too expensive here. Regarding the tank to GB ratio, I thought it was twice the volume of GBs to fish tanks?

My information is from some people in the UK that have been running a commercial system, growing Trout & Herbs and veggies since 2008.

After looking at all the various plastic tank systems, I have decided that the best option ( after taking advise from IA) is to build with block and concrete. The 6 X 3m tanks will be half below ground to keep the water temp more stable and also allow the flooded grow-beds to gravity feed the clean water back to the tanks.

The crucial part of the system is the balance of water flow and creating the bacteria needed to treat the ammonia. It is imperitive that the system is run and fine tuned for at least 2/3 weeks before anything other than goldfish are intoduced to the tanks

As for cost, the pumps are cheap @ 1200 bht they will pump 9 Cu M of water per hour at a usage of 120 watts but you MUST have an emergeny generator back-up prefferably that cuts in automatically when cuts occur. This will not be cheap but is essential in a high stock density stuation

My estimate for a set-up of 4 X 18000 litre tanks + grow-beds and ancillaries to be 250 - 300k

This set-uo should produce 2500 to 3000 kilo of Tilapia per month after 4/5 months at FCR of 1.3

Edited by grimleybob
  • Like 1

gb, if I am reading your post properly,you are intending to harvest up to 3000kg of Tilapia from an 18 sq metre tank every 4 months at a FCR of 1:3.

At the current retail price of 90 baht kg that is 270,000 baht gross per month from a system many people could fit in their lounge room.

Tilapia growth is directly related to their food intake and the protein content of said food (as it is to most living things).

I am aware that great growth rates are attainable in cages suspended in the Mekong River,but the stocking rates are nowhere near as ambitious as you quote and they are fed special hi-protein food not available to the general public .

You make no mention of aeration and yet all the data I have read on these type of systems require it.

To have the success of such a system relying on a notoriously unreliable 1200 baht bilge pump seems a bit cavalier.

Sorry to appear so skeptical but during nearly 50 years in the commercial fishing industry I have developed a thing about outlandish claims.

• Like 1

I Like your Posts there guys great input , now the 1,200 baht pump I am going to set one up as a bit of a hobby first. I think I will use just 200 catfish because they never die and I have loads of them in my pond. So if the pump packed in for a couple of hours no big deal. anyone know the best small pump to buy at the right money ?? Thanks for everyones input

gb, if I am reading your post properly,you are intending to harvest up to 3000kg of Tilapia from an 18 sq metre tank every 4 months at a FCR of 1:3.

At the current retail price of 90 baht kg that is 270,000 baht gross per month from a system many people could fit in their lounge room.

Tilapia growth is directly related to their food intake and the protein content of said food (as it is to most living things).

I am aware that great growth rates are attainable in cages suspended in the Mekong River,but the stocking rates are nowhere near as ambitious as you quote and they are fed special hi-protein food not available to the general public .

You make no mention of aeration and yet all the data I have read on these type of systems require it.

To have the success of such a system relying on a notoriously unreliable 1200 baht bilge pump seems a bit cavalier.

Sorry to appear so skeptical but during nearly 50 years in the commercial fishing industry I have developed a thing about outlandish claims.

I will clarify a couple of points. Each of the four tanks holds 18 Cubic meters of water recycled at a rate of 9 cu per hour. The pumps have been chosen because of their capacity to pump sewage and dirty water.

The FCR rate of 1.3 is a widely accepted industry figure for Tilapia . I havn't come across anyone feeding high protein "super-food" to Tilapia.

One of the reasons good FCR is the close contol and constant monitoring of all the variables ammonia, ph, temp and oxygen. Floating food is used to satiation twice daily so that overfeeding and therefore waste, does not take place.

You mention the price of Tilapia selling for 90 baht gross & 270,000 baht in a front room , your not far out, the first phase will be on a base of 40m x 40m. Thats what excites me about this project. Don't forget 25 years ago if you'd have told me we would soon be conversing in this manner I would have called you crazy. Look to the future and beyond. If I fail I'll just be another name on the list. Bob

Edited by grimleybob
  • Like 1

I Like your Posts there guys great input , now the 1,200 baht pump I am going to set one up as a bit of a hobby first. I think I will use just 200 catfish because they never die and I have loads of them in my pond. So if the pump packed in for a couple of hours no big deal. anyone know the best small pump to buy at the right money ?? Thanks for everyones input

WARNING Catfish fingerlings of 4"-5" will quickly die if the water isn't right. Run the system first with 6-8 goldfish for at least 2 weeks and makesure the PH level of 7 is constant. Bob

yep got that Bob ph 7 what about a pump any brand I can spend more than the 1,200 being talked about i have made a budget of 10 k and so far everything is going to cost peanuts blocks were 4 baht each cement was 100 baht a bag sand was free labour about 2,000 spent total of 4,000 just need gravel, plants seeds will be cheep, fish will be free and a pump JD

Hey guys, a couple of questions out of interest. What about cleaning the accumulated solids out? And Bob, you stated a water change of 9C.M/hr, or 9000 litres. Thats 150 litres a minimum, how do you slow it down so it doesnt wash your grow bed away?

Isaan Aussie.

Hey guys, a couple of questions out of interest. What about cleaning the accumulated solids out? And Bob, you stated a water change of 9C.M/hr, or 9000 litres. Thats 150 litres a minimum, how do you slow it down so it doesnt wash your grow bed away?

Isaan Aussie.

IA , In looking over the site mentioned by Smithson, I found reference to solids traps in larger systems.

From the pics they appear to be 5 chamber traps that work similar to a domestic grease trap or septic tank, the water from the fish ponds passes through this then to a large sump from where it is pumped to the veggie growing area.

All the pics and data indicate much more complex systems and expensive pumping setups than are being discussed here.

Water flow seems to be regulated by the use of spray bars and wide sluice trays.

Aquaponics is an interesting concept,it seems that the system works on the principal of the gravel/grow beds converting the fish waste nitrates and returning the cleansed water to the fish tank.

The industry norm is given at MAXIMUM 3kg liveweight of fish per 100 litre of grow bed. Using this number nitrate levels at the outlet side of the grow beds is manipulated by either lowering fish numbers or lowering food intake. (less food =less poo ).

Using these figures, if a system is operating properly an 18000 litre grow bed will cater for 540kg of fish at any time.A far cry from 3000kg being quoted.

Another point for consideration,is marketing.

3000kg per month is a bloody lot of Pla Nin ,where do you sell this sort of quantity ????

The main market resellers are tied in one way or another to a certain food manufacturer and a few big players who do not appreciate "outsiders"

• Like 1

Ozzydom I like the post its all controlled by a big few you can talk about feed, fish , poultry, pork or beef .There are Laws everywhere else in the world to stop this happening, but not in Thailand, Chinese-Thai rule everything..and thats why they dont want us here.

The forum I linked to has some pretty resourceful people, there are sub forums for commercial and large hobby systems.

I think in Thailand where water is plentiful, it may be better to have a run to waste system where an overflow goes straight to trees/veggies. This could be done by having a lined pond at a high point in the block, with the overflow drawing water from the bottom (where the solids are).

yep got that Bob ph 7 what about a pump any brand I can spend more than the 1,200 being talked about i have made a budget of 10 k and so far everything is going to cost peanuts blocks were 4 baht each cement was 100 baht a bag sand was free labour about 2,000 spent total of 4,000 just need gravel, plants seeds will be cheep, fish will be free and a pump JD

I have no experience involving Aguaponics, I have done a massive amount of reading on the system I must stress that I have no hands on experience. In the articles I read they did mention one pump ( Andy asked for one) it is a Block 4500 submersible pond pump that sell for about $120. USD it has been used 24/7 for 2 years currently without any problems. It pumps 4500 gallons of water per hour.

Smithson gave a INTERNET site (Backyard Aguaponics) for all the information you can get about setting up a system, lot of information on different types of pumps. you will want to read before you make your decision on the pump you will purchase. I have already decided on the Block 4500. The I.B.C. shipping containers (Chop 2) shown in Smithson post, I will be using for my grow beds.

I already have a Concrete pond that I raised my 400 (Pla Duc) in I will be looking at Talapia .Clarias and Basa catfish to stock

my fish pond

post-91962-0-08391200-1317803755_thumb.jpg (sorry for the poor quality of the picture)

It is 4 ft by 7 ft x 3 ft deep, I will be raising mine for home consumption, and sell some to my neighbors

Hope this was helpful Andy,

Kikoman, pls keep us updated on your progress. I would recommend joining that forum. You will also need to buy some chelated iron, as there is no iron in the fish poo. If you have trouble finding this, pls let me know. Circular tanks are best as you can get a whirlpool effect to remove solids.

ICBs are around B2.5, if you want to use these for your systems then Download the IBC of Aquaponics Here

Another thing, IA quoted the price of Tilapia at B90, I think in Bangkok it's cheaper, maybe more like B65.

Edited by Smithson

Kikoman, pls keep us updated on your progress. I would recommend joining that forum. You will also need to buy some chelated iron, as there is no iron in the fish poo. If you have trouble finding this, pls let me know. Circular tanks are best as you can get a whirlpool effect to remove solids.

ICBs are around B2.5, if you want to use these for your systems then Download the IBC of Aquaponics Here

Another thing, IA quoted the price of Tilapia at B90, I think in Bangkok it's cheaper, maybe more like B65.

90baht kg is the price in the local markets around this area for fish around the 1 kg size.

The wholesaler who buys from CP farms on the Mekong and transports live them to the resellers at the different markets marks up 10 baht kg and the resellers another 10 baht.

It wont surprise me if the price rises as soon as the season gets into swing.last year when local beef was 120 bt kg and pork 100 baht ,Tilapia were 80 baht (75 baht from us ),now beef is up to 160 baht and pork 150 baht.

There is a direct correlation in the pricing of protein foods.

Smithson, thank you for the information it gives me quite a few options on the system I will use, I looked at quite a few videos and need to read the downloaded IBC of Aguaponics before I do anything else. I have been inactive because of a medical condition that has not improved greatly over the last 3 months.

I have seen many ICBs on my trips to Nakhon Sawan but the flooding has interfered with our going to price the ICBs - until we get the all clear to go to N. Sawan.

I will gather all the components that I need and hopefully will get working on the system within the month.

Isaan Aussie.

You put in-line valves on the inlet and outlets to the beds and you use these to balance the flow thro the system. This is what you do while waiting for the beds to grow it's bacteria and before you install the fish.

As for the solids, the people over here use worms in the beds to eat the solids they clean the gravel after a couple of growing cycles. They just pull out any old roots and pressure wash the growing media.