Who'S Got More Rights, -Dogs, Monkeys, Foreigners, Space Aliens?

saanya

Immigration & Civil Rights?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am actually curious about this, -not because I'm mystified by the system, or disgruntled or in any way disaffected or even jaded.

I just felt like it was a somewhat legitimate question because I actually asked a bunch of Thai friends and it triggered a huge amount of comic response, which then started to reveal some interesting cultural concepts in general.

basically the Dog was #1, if for no better reason that he barks a warning when he sees any of the other three. that's worth something. : )

Two of the friends had actually lived and worked in the US, -so the question applied there as well as anywhere else in the world. And it's purely in fun, -no one was trying to make anyone feel bad, -all all agreed it's tough to stay anywhere long unless you are rich.

Edited by saanya

I will never understand this feeling people have about being second class human beings in Thailand and I'm not really sure what it is you want. If you want to be a citizen we have rules not unlike many Western countries, if you want residency that is also possible for a fee not unlike in Western countries. But if you want to be involved in our politics and have a say in what we do with our tax money you really have no more right than a Thai in your country who would be disregarded quite quickly.

If you really feel that you are being used as a door mat in Thailand, why do you stay? If in fact you are really being treated poorly I would highly consider where you are living and think about moving to another region. Our immigration laws are getting stricter because people are abusing the system and for some reason many people feel that we are a lawless society and they can do as they wish. When I went to the USA to study I had to pay a lot for visas and do a lot of paper work, I had no say about anything and now if I were to go to Arizona I would be stopped by police and asked for documents. My wife went to school in Australia and was treated like a house keeper by most of the citizens, so I can't say I am very sympathetic when you post polls like this. Try being part of a community and try meeting some Thai people that do not work in bars, you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1