Visatrip To Sihanoukville For A Double Entry Tourist Visa

Vientiane is beside Phnom Penh the only place in the area to get a double entry TV and now they are stricter especially when having any kind of previous Thai visas in your PP.

Mine is full with a double TV from Vientiane, a triple from Penang (these were the good times) and several non-B so I decided to play safe and get the visa inCambodia.

There would have been several options for me:

1. Going with a visa run company to the Aranyaprathet, stay there for a night while they get the visa. The company I had in mind doesn't offer this service on their website anymore, don't know if others are still doing it.

2. Next would be to fly with Air Asia to Phnom Penh, stay in a hotel for 2 or 3 nightsand let an agent handle everything for you.

3. I chose a third option: a visit to Sihanoukville for a couple of days together with GF, have a bit of a clean beach holiday and let the travel agent down there take care of the visa.

Pricewise it is not much different to flying and if you don't go alone it is even cheaper. Will do the numbers later.

Let's start the trip first:

We left Pattaya at 7 am by car. A friend brought us to the border in Hat Lek, a trip of 4 hours if you are going fast, or 4,5 hours normal. Distance is 330 km. We arrived at the border at 11 am and had some lunch till 11:40h. I paid him 2000Baht for gas and his time, don't know what a regular taxi would charge. If you know anybody who would be interested in dropping/picking up people at this border more often, please let me know.

The restaurants and shops at the Thai border:

Snooky_20110625_001.jpg

The border crossing took about 20 minutes.

Procedure:

Check outof TH on the left side (GF needs to get the arrival/departure card), the other side is for arrivals.

Snooky_20110625_004.jpg

Walk over into Cambodia and you will be greeted by touts who want to earn some tips. Ifyou want you can do it on your own, otherwise agree on a tip if you don't want to get pestered later on, as they want double of whatever you pay.

Snooky_20110625_008.jpg

The Cambodian visa costs usually 20 US$ (25 for the e-visa) but the border point is known for not accepting US$ and/or e-visa or making things difficult for you. Iwas recommended to pay the 1000 or 1200 Baht they ask for and keep the guys there happy.

I had to pay 1000 and GF 200, next time she will need to pay 100 only if she can show a previous Cambodian stamp in her PP. Well, that's what I was told by the touts.

The dutyfree shops are sparse and there is not much to buy. Alcohol and Ciggies are cheap in Cambodias shops anyway (LM 10US$ for 10 packs, Winston 5 US$, Jack Daniels 1 liter 19 US$).

The hotel I booked arranged the transport from the border (Koh Kong) to Sihanoukville which is a 3,5 hours drive for about 200 km. Cost for the car (a Toyota Camry with plenty of miles on the clock) was 55 US$ but it might go up to 60 soon, so the driver told me on the way back.

Just ashort distance after entering Cambodia you have to stop at a checkpoint, getout of the car and show your visa to the guy sitting in a wooden shack.

I had booked a room at the BeachClub resort in Sihanoukville which was recommended by many and is run by Luna, a great Danish girl who helped me to sort out the visa and answered all the thousands of questions I had. She is also known as SnookyGirl on the boards.

Snooky_20110625_109.jpg

Rooms are starting from 25 US$ (see website), board members will receive a 10 % discount!

Snooky_20110625_024.jpg

Snooky_20110625_031.jpg

Snooky_20110625_100.jpg

Snooky_20110625_106.jpg

Food is excellent. We enjoyed several times the BBQ, here the spare ribs for 7 $ andthe Tiger prawns for 8.5 $.

Snooky_20110625_028.jpg

Snooky_20110625_058.jpg

Then it was off to the beach for a bit of nap for tilac and a sunburn for me.

A niceclean beach with clean water and a lot of hawkers.

Snooky_20110625_036.jpg

Snooky_20110625_044.jpg

Snooky_20110625_048.jpg

The Beach Club is just a short walk from the beach (or take one of the motorbike taxi or tuktuk that are waiting in front of the resort) and not far away from the Lions roundabout.

Snooky_20110625_055.jpg

There you will find Ana Travel as well who arrange the double entry TV for the 70 US$ visa fee plus 25 US$ handling fee when using the 1 day service. The longer service is just a tad cheaper. For the exact location have a look at the map in the info booklets available in the Beach Club and other hotels.

Snooky_20110625_146.jpg

I dropped my PP on Sunday afternoon and could pick it up on Tuesday morning around 9 am.As the Embassy in Phnom Penh might not issue the visa every day, calculate a spare day or ask the travel agent to make sure when you get your Passport back.

The GoldenLion Plaza is a small Street with 10 Bars, just a few 100 meters from thehotel. They are pretty much simple but I loved them.

They reminded me of the good old times.

Snooky_20110625_068.jpg

Snooky_20110625_069.jpg

A Jack Daniels Coke was 2,75 or 3 US$, sometimes the price includes mixers or it doesn't.

Beers are usually 1 US$, sometimes you get a draft for 50 Cents.

My expenses (I stayed a bit longer but lets compare the minimum time required):

Taxi Pattaya – Hat Lek and return 4000 Baht (don't know how much it really would cost)

Visa for Cambodia 1000 Baht

Taxi from Hat Lek to Snooky and return 2*55 US$ or 3400 Baht

(the drivers at the border are asking for 2500 one way, don't know how low one could get them, I think it is better and safer to book it through the Beach Club which doesn't take any commission on it).

Double entry tourist visa incl. handling fee 95 US$ or 3000 Baht

3 nights at the Beach Club at 30 US$ a night = 2850 Baht

Total 14250 Baht plus food etc. and a one way travel time of 8-9 hours

Alternative: you could make the same trip by bus which would come cheaper (would cost around 10.000 Baht total) but takes longer and is not as comfortable as in a car. Here the time table for mini busses leaving from Hat Lek to Trat.

Snooky_20110625_005.jpg

If you fly it would look like this:

Taxi to airport and return 2000 Baht

Flight BKK to Phnom Penh with Air Asia between 7440 and 8290 Baht (depends on the travelday)

VisaCambodia at the Phnom Penh airport 600 Baht??

Double entry tourist visa incl. handling fee 85 US$ or 2700 Baht (there is an agent recommended here on Thaivisa)

Hotel 2 or 3 nights 1800 Baht or 2700 Baht (depends on the travel day)

Total: between 14540 to 16290 Baht, plus transport from airport to hotel and return (no idea how much it is).

Travel timeshould be around 5 hours (1 h to AP, 2 h check in, 1 h flight, 1 h AP clearance and travel to hotel)

If you want to do this trip with your own car, here the procedure to take it over theborder.

Snooky_20110625_006.jpg

Be reminded that you need a Cambodian drivers license or an intl. one.

The Thai DLis not accepted and they are doing currently plenty of checks . The driver who brought us back to the Thai border got caught and had to pay 10 US$ for whatever.

I enjoyed the trip and will be doing it definately again.

Thankyou for this thread/info; as we're now living Chanthaburi area going to Sihanoukville is a good option for my next trip in November, no hurry we'll make a holiday of it, ideal if we don't have to visit PP at all.

cheers

agreed an informative post.

This trip was also fun when they had the fast boat between Koh Kong to Sihanoukville well at least in the dry season anyway. It used to take about 4 to 5 hours and when the sea wasn't too choppy you could sit outside on top.

this is an excellent report...I also just came back from Snooky, and wanted to add my el cheapo two cents for those who want to do the same trip on a budget.....Bus from Bangkok to Trat, 5 hours, 220 baht or so. Minivan from Trat to the border around 1 hour 120 baht. I ALWAYS get a Cambo visa in advance so as not to support the border crooks, this time around got the E Visa, which is absolutely fantastic. As stated above, $20 plus $5 fee. They say it takes 3 business days, I got mine in less than 24 hours. Crossed the border, hopped on a moto into Koh Kong (60 baht, and you pay the 12 baht bridge toll....actually, you can get it for 50 which is the real rate (not 100 as they all say). From Koh Kong, bus is $7 to Sihanoukville..plenty of hotels in Koh Kong at $10 a night (Apex is the best). The road to Snooky is now good and the buses are decent, so not too much suffering. They actually drop you close to the PP-Snooky road junction, and you change to another bus there. It takes around 5 hours from Koh Kong. In Snooky, I stay right behind the Beach Club at Papagayos, fairly new place, nice fan room for $8 or AC for $12 or 13. http://www.papagayo-hostel.com/index.php?usr_lang=en&page=presentation&PHPSESSID=fe80ed9b61fd9cd19f1c9f37a2fbe6b5

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello together,

thanks for the OP for this report. nice pictures and in depth information how to do this. Based on this report my report doing the same.

August the 9th. went by car from Chiang Mai to ban Had Lek Trat province. 1,020 km from Ban Doi Tao to Ban Had Lek. Parked my car in ban had lek about 20 Metres before Thai Immigration at the left side. 200 Baht a day for parking. Over to the cambodian side, plenty of people wanting to help for the visa application. Cambodian Visa finished for me and my Thai wive heading towards the taxies quing for customers. Panicking about August the 12th. Bank holydays I accepted a ride to Sihanouk Ville for 2,500 Baht. Short after the start I was told by the driver that we must go to a Village called Ko Kong next at the Cambodian side to exchange the Baht into Cambodian Rial. I thoght this might be a good place to change my momey too. Fxxk you, they screwed me by about 4000 Baht. The money changer at the market. I got for 10.000 Baht about 770.000 Cambodian Rial. The going rate is about 1.300.000 Rial for 10.000 Baht. OK, learning by doing, next driving to Sihanouk Ville. rellative good road with only a couple of pot holes. Arrival at Sihanouk Ville and the Taxi driver drove us to the beach where we decided to take the 7 Motel as accomodation. 12 Dollar a night good value for money. Next before we went into the room I asked about the availability to make a visa for Thailand and the chap sad, no problem, about 100 dollars and the visa is finished for collection after 3-4 days. Still panicking about Thai Mothers Day Holydays I payed him and went to the beach for a nice beer. Plenty of foodstalls and places to get a nice Anchor Beer. At The hotel I only gave my money, no passport photo, no visa application signet. On friday

the 12. Thai Mothers Day, at about 10.30 I got my Passport back with a valid double entrance tourist visa. Not 3-4 days as promised, a little over 2 days for all. I must obmit, after plenty of visa runs to Vientiane and Penang this was a real difference, Laying at the beach and waiting for your visa is a lot more relaxing than any place i know of. I will certanly do this again regardless of the long driving houres to Ban Had Lek.

Always have a good journey

Wolfgang

The Cambodian visa costs usually 20 US$ (25 for the e-visa) but the border point is known for not accepting US$ and/or e-visa or making things difficult for you.

Can anyone confirm/refute the e-visa issue at the border ?

I'll go to the Cambodian embassy in BKK and make the visa there, and hopefully have them sign a paper stating that any charge or refusal of the visa at the border is illegal,

and will also record the suspects.

Edited by poanoi

The Cambodian visa costs usually 20 US$ (25 for the e-visa) but the border point is known for not accepting US$ and/or e-visa or making things difficult for you.

Can anyone confirm/refute the e-visa issue at the border ?

I'll go to the Cambodian embassy in BKK and make the visa there' date=' and hopefully have them sign a paper stating that any charge or refusal of the visa at the border is illegal,

and will also record the suspects.

[/quote']

I was going to ask the same thing. jitenshamen stated he didn't have any problem. (see quote below) You're not going to get a letter saying that refusal of the visa is illegal, because it's not. It's always at the officers discretion.

... I ALWAYS get a Cambo visa in advance so as not to support the border crooks, this time around got the E Visa, which is absolutely fantastic. As stated above, $20 plus $5 fee. They say it takes 3 business days, I got mine in less than 24 hours. Crossed the border, hopped on a moto into Koh Kong ...

Plus, their website say's entering and exiting on and e-visa is allowed at Cham Yeam/Koh Kong. It wouldn't hurt to keep a copy of their below webpage in case they did try to jam you up.

eVisa.jpg

source: http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

I think problems arise due to the great deal of individual discretion immigration officers have. The system is of course wholly corrupt, and if you're unlucky enough to encounter an officer who's house payment is overdue, you may have such hurdles placed before you which can only be resolved one way. Illegal but what are you going to do? In most cases, nothing but pay up. Be prepared for anything and remember to never lose your temper.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I got the fee changed from 1200 baht into $20 after a VERY lengthy debate last time,

after endless inquire the officer identify himself.

By law, does a police officer have to show ID card if i demand so ?

and do i have legal right to take a picture of the suspect if he refuses ?

(for identification purposes & evidence if i suspect he is trying to rob me and want to report him)

Edited by poanoi

I got the fee changed from 1200 baht into $20 after a VERY lengthy debate last time,

after endless inquire the officer identify himself.

By law, does a police officer have to show ID card if i demand so ?

and do i have legal right to take a picture of the suspect if he refuses ?

(for identification purposes & evidence if i suspect he is trying to rob me and want to report him)

Bro, I would give up on that whole line of thinking. This is the Cambodian border. You have less than no rights. You're going to piss someone off and cause trouble for yourself.

Here is a helpful little bit of info I just got from a guest house operator in Sihanoukville.

"If you're coming overland via Hat Lek border (well known for visa scams) get an electronic visa in advance (google for the site) as they will charge double the real price.

The only bus to S'Ville leaves Koh Kong at 8 a.m. after that it's shared taxis or minibuses - many scams in Koh Kong also. Lots of info on the internet about this."

Edited by ScubaBuddha

• 3 weeks later...

Just did this trip...so to update a few things...

The border touts on the Cambo side are aggressive and convincing. Did get tricked out of 20B ea for some silly health official thingy where they take your temperature from with a thermal gun then issue a small receipt. I think it would have been fine to ignore this. Then a tout pickup up our passports which I practically had to wrestle back from him as he bounded off for the immigration window telling us to sit and wait wile our visa's were prepared. I had gotten the Cambodian eVisa beforehand so paid exactly $0 at the border coming into Cambo. :) The Thai gf had to pay 200B for an entry stamp into Cambodia, for what I don't know. (The brand new Lexus's parked in front of the Immigration offices gives me an idea though) Met a Swede guy in Trat that crossed with us. They tried to tell him he had to pay for his visa with 1000 baht. (33USD) Others have reported being asked for 1300 baht. Lexus's, after all, are not cheap. The visa is of course only 20USD. Says right on it. Be polite but firm and say "I only have $20" while putting it down on the desk in front of them. They will eventually give in. If you need a taxi, walk though all the touts and to the taxi's and ask for the driver. If you can deal directly you can cut out the touts commission.

When coming back to the border from Snooky, if you come in the morning the taxi fare is half that (50USD) of an afternoon taxi because the driver is able to pick up a fare for the return leg. (A concept our wonderful Phuket tuk tuks should learn). Or use the bus which travels between the border (Koh Kong) and Snooky. Like 3 or 4 dollars. Leaves Koh Kong 8am and Snooky 8am.

I used Ana travel as well. Had a bit of a scare as at first they said "maybe cannot" because of the new document requirements and a new boss running the Phnom Pen Thai Embassy. I would be the test case. After they made a few phone calls I assume to the embassy contact, it was determined I needed a letter explaining what I was doing in Thailand, why, and where I was staying plus signed copies of Thai's ID'cards with note saying they would support me if I became indigent and proof of finances! Luckily I budgeted an extra day so set about gathering these. Several hours later I return with all these in hand only to be then told, "We don't need those...just an onward air ticket. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

I thought they were just trying to make commission on an air ticket, but they were kind enough to let me use their computer to book a flight online myself which allows me to change or cancel it later. (Got travel insure) But that was 2500 baht I hadn't planned on spending. So I submitted all the docs I prepared plus the newly booked onward ticked receipt. The price is apparently now 105USD for 1 day. (Drop off Wednesday, pick up Friday night or Saturday early morning for example)

Ana told me something strange before sending my passport off which I still don't understand. She said several times, "We can no longer get you a 6 month visa. You must understand that this is a 3 month visa only, NOT a 6 month visa." I asked if it was going to be double entry even showing her my used double entry TV, and she said, "Yes." So I explained to her how with extensions and properly timed border bounce it could be up to 6 months. She was adamant it was "Not like that." I assume she doesn't understand how it works, and that someone probably told her that "The visa has a 3 month validity" which of course refers to the fact that you must use the first entry within 3 months. Anyone has any ideas let me know. Anyway, the visa I got is a regular dual entry tourist visa. Nothing special.

The travel info (buses, taxi's etc.) from above still seems all accurate. I will say 80% of the "new" road between the border (Koh Kong) and Snooky is in bad shape. Full of put holes. It felt as if our taxi driver bent an axle on one, as the car developed a distinct shimmy by the time we arrived. The drivers wife was screaming at him in Khmer for a quite a while so assumed that is what happened.

Lastly, when you do go to the beach, be prepared for the endless hawkers, dirty begging children, and flies. Maybe it's due to the time of year, but almost all Cambodians using the narrow Ochheuteal beach. In a bit of a surreal scene, there is a farang carrying around what looks like two half Cambodian toddlers begging from the Cambodians up and down Ochheuteal beach. If you bring your finicky Thai GF like I did, Thai food is hard to find. The 007 beach restaurant (they are all numbered) on Ochheuteal beach has Thai food with Thai staff. I had only one decent meal in 4 days, and several terrible ones. Cheap as chips though. 50c beer and draft at places. The only good meal I had was from the little Indian place opposite the Beach Road Hotel at the Lions Roundabout shown above. Lots of praise online for the Italian place right on the roundabout, but they don't serve pizza before 5pm or after about 10:30, and those were the two time I came.

17 hours travel time Phuket to Snooky, and that's flying into BKK from Phuket. Better to take 2 days. I can't say I will be doing this again. Fly into PP better. I can see driving there from Patts being a bit more doable.

Interestingly ATM's in Cambo dispense USD only. :blink:

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Thanks to Campario for the very informative trip report,which I am sure will be very helpful to many.I can add a few points,having made this journey many times.A regular taxi from Pattaya to Hat Lek border costs around 3000THB.As I am often travelling with my wife and child,and quite a bit of luggage,we get a MPV taxi,perhaps an ordinary saloon car would be a bit cheaper.It's more expensive than using buses/minibuses etc,but the advantages outweigh the extra cost for us.The border immigration at Hat Lek are notorious for overcharging,it's been that way for years,if you are prepared to wait you can get the visa for 20 USD,but the E-visa sounds a much better idea.Don't do as one poster advised, threaten and shout,and you'll just end up waiting for ages,also they will remember you for when you come back.Don't use the various touts offering to "help" with the visa,they are completely unnecessary and a nuisance.If they try to charge 200 or 300 THB for a Thai,give them 100B and tell them that's all they are getting.You shouldn't have to pay anything,but again,it depends how long you want to wait.The first time I went through with my (Vietnamese) wife and child they demanded 300THB each for them.I refused to pay for the child and told them they were only getting 100THB from my wife,and after a few minutes scowling they accepted it.Don't listen to the touts/taxi drivers telling you to change money,it's always at a very poor rate to get them a commission.If you are staying in Koh Kong,you can use Thai Baht easily,and you don't need Cambodian Riel anyway(except as small change) the de facto currency in Cambodia is the US dollar.I usually get USD in Pattaya from Bank Gold or the exchange in Soi Buakhao by Oasis go go.Or you could get them at the money changers in Koh Kong market,the bank there.or in Sihanoukville.

If they try to charge 200 or 300 THB for a Thai,give them 100B and tell them that's all they are getting.

Not sure I agree with the logic here...So now you've pissed off the immigration officer, but your still ripped off 100B per Thai. Soothing your ego isn't worth it in my opinion. Pay what they ask, or don't pay at all. You may be risking long delays or even not getting in. The officers know they have a lot of discretion.

17 hours travel time Phuket to Snooky, and that's flying into BKK from Phuket. Better to take 2 days. I can't say I will be doing this again. Fly into PP better. I can see driving there from Patts being a bit more doable.

If ur taking ur own car;

Last time i drove up from Phuket it was 11 hours to Pattaya, spent the night, then 6 hours or so to SHK via Trat and the border.

I have always only crossed with my Thai dl and have never had an international one. Never been asked about this.

Also entering at Koh Kong ur asked to pay 100 baht/day for the time ur car will be in Koh Kong province an they tell u its not supposed to leave the province ( i always drive around alot) always have told then 3 days and they issue u a red plastic plate which is supposed to go on ur dash.

I have also heard now that u need a purple car book (an English version of ur cars blue book) to leave Thailand its available at the transport office ( in Phuket its 80 baht and 30 minutes)

PS; plenty of thai food in SHK as there are plenty of Farangs with Thai gf's

running thai restaurants. You need look for them as most of them are in town.

Robert who runs the drinking boat tour and Roni who runs the sailboat tour both have thai gf's

Edited by phuketrichard

The only thing I can say is that your GF shouldn't have been charged.

Thai passport holders get 15 day entry stamp for nothing.

Of course his Thai GF should not have been charged for an entry stamp any more than a Farang should be charged more than $20 for a visa.

But its not just the Cambodian immigration that extorts money.

Crossing into Cambodia from Chong Sa Ngam/Choam recently everyone (Thais and Farangs ) were each charged 50bt by Thai immigration for stamping us out of Thailand!

I just made the trip to Sihanoukville. I made it from Mae Sot, so totally about 1.500 km's.

I had 2 double entry tv's in my passport, both from last year. But I only got a single entry because (honestly a joke) I had a overstay of 2 days (first time ever I had overstay).

But it's ok for me, as I want to leave Thailand anyway, as I'm tired of all that border- and visaruns. I lived in Cambodia before and I just came back to Thailand to do my (Thai) ex gf a favor. But anyway we finished and I want to leave. I just thought, double entry give me more time to arrange things.

But now I could arrange everything in Cambodia (rented a house already and also can start working again and immediately at a friends office) so enough time to prepare for moving :)

The visa itself: all they asked, was a bank statement from a Thai bank.

Why I write this:

If someone wants to make the same trip (but anyway I guess, Poipet is the same), just some warnings about the scams in Koh Kong.

They really found some new methods and really everyone, I had contact with at Koh Kong, tried to scam me. Everyone - incl. Khmer immigration.

If you just want to apply for a 30 days tourist visa (you can't extend it in Cambodia), I really suggest, apply for it online (E-Visa). It costs $25 and within 3 days you get it. At the border the immigration ask for 1.100 Baht, what is about $36.

If you use a motor-taxi, don't pay more then 50 Baht (they will ask for 100) and another 20 Baht for the toll fee (which is in fact only 1.000 Riel).

Tell them, you want to go straight to the bus terminal, otherwise more problems start: they ask you, if you go by bus and they also tell you, they are not sure, if they (agents, bus companies) are willing to take Thai Baht. And so they suggest you to exchange some money. I read of even more worst scams, but usually they try to explain '1.000 Baht is 100.000 Riel'. That's wrong! They say, since the war the Thai Baht went down so much. And many tourists are not sure and change their money. And start Cambodia with some nice losses (1.000 Thai Baht is usually about 130.000 Riel).

And anyway you never need Riel. You can change money in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville w/o any problems and scams. And you will get US-$ (and Riel just like coins), because the bus companies also take Thai Baht of course.

But pay directly at the bus to the driver - never use an agent. I went to Sihanoukville and such an agent asked for 550 Baht ($18) while the normal price is between $7 (travel agency) and $5.50 (bus company).

So, make an e-visa ($25), go straight (for 50 Baht plus 1.000 Riel or 10 Baht for the toll fee) to the bus terminal without any money exchange (as not needed) and pay the ticket fee to the bus driver only.

I met many people who believed the taxi drivers the war/Thai Baht story and they got scammed for amounts between $100 and $200. Also don't buy cigarettes atthe border as they are more expensive then in an average supermarket.

If you decide to stay in Koh Kong, go straight to your hotel or guesthouse w/o money exchange (anyway they use Thai Baht in Koh Kong) and don't believe the exchange quote of 1:100 (1.000 Baht is 100.000 Riel). It's a scam!

I recently crossed there on a vacation a couple of weeks ago or so, not a visa trip or anything, but same deal. I knew about the touts in advance and got an eVisa as usual. The best part, though, was coming back through. One of the touts wouldn't leave me alone, so I gave him some money just to avoid handling the visa. I knew it was a scam, but he ran around to all the windows and I was busy tapping out emails, so what's $3 to sit in the shade, right?

I cross back over into Thailand and I'm waiting for my van back to Trat and I see the tout come through the Thai border gate with his friend and I'm thinking, "That's funny, I thought they were Khmer." He keeps walking, sees me and they make a beeline for me and start explaining that I didn't pay for a customs stamp and that it was THB 300, so I owed him THB 300. We were having all these conversations in Thai, but I could make out most of what he meant. I talked to him for a minute, pulled the whole "I'm jai dii, I gave you THB 100 already for a tip" thing and he then went into the "Pii, pii!" routine and this carried on for a while until the van driver got involved and started re-translating all of it because I think he thought I didn't understand. He wasn't in on it, he was just trying to be helpfully Thai. I explained back in Thai that there's no fee for anything and I told the kid that I wasn't going to pay anything. This is where it went downhill a bit. Like most crooks in this position, he can't do anything other than attack me (broad daylight, not his country, military everywhere, unlikely) or annoy me to death (no problems there!), so he proceeds to stand there and grovel forever and try to guilt me and explain that he will have to pay it himself at which point I sarcastically gave him a big wai and told him he was very generous and turned around.

He still wouldn't leave and at this point I'm starting to get irritated because I want to enjoy my hot tea and sit there anonymously, but instead I have to argue with this tout who is embarrassing me in front of all these Thai people by trying to shame me into paying for a fee that doesn't exist. That's when I let him have it with the full "Arai wah!" - not yelling, but firm and with a slightly raised voice - followed by something to the effect of "Little boy, you tried to steal from me in Cambodia and I gave you money just to be nice, but now you have come into Thailand where I live and you are trying to steal money from me again. There is no fee, but if there is a fee and you forgot then you're not a very clever crook. I am already in Thailand, you can't do anything, so I won't pay you anything. Now please get out of Thailand and go steal from someone else, crook!" I never lose my temper in Thailand, but he was really pissing me off and he isn't Thai, so I figured I could get away with pulling the fed up elder routine. I could see some of the Thai people chuckling and smirking as he left all huffy, so I guess I got the call close enough. Felt good anyhow.

The thing that gets me is, man, the stones on this kid coming to the other side of the border and finding me and demanding more bribes after I already tipped him and went through immigration and was in Thailand! Amazing. So pass that one on to anyone headed there - the touts will actually come into Thailand to try and extort money from you yet again. Really hadn't seen that one before.

SCubaBuddha

Ana told me something strange before sending my passport off which I still don't understand. She said several times, "We can no longer get you a 6 month visa. You must understand that this is a 3 month visa only, NOT a 6 month visa." I asked if it was going to be double entry even showing her my used double entry TV, and she said, "Yes." So I explained to her how with extensions and properly timed border bounce it could be up to 6 months. She was adamant it was "Not like that." I assume she doesn't understand how it works, and that someone probably told her that "The visa has a 3 month validity" which of course refers to the fact that you must use the first entry within 3 months. Anyone has any ideas let me know. Anyway, the visa I got is a regular dual entry tourist visa. Nothing special.

---------------------

Look carefully at your dual entry visa. Is it stamped somewhere with something similar to "This visa must be used by (date)?

I think what she was trying to explain may be that BOTH of those two entries must be made by that date. Yes it is a double entry visa but it is only valid for that 2nd entry if it is used BEFORE that stamped date.

So one day before that date you make a border run to the nearest border, cross the border, then return. When you do you will get another 60 day stamp. That second 60 day stamp can be extended in Thailand at the immigration for 30 days....so that double entry visa becomes:

first entry-60 day stamp. But actually you do border run on day 59 so equals 59 days

second entry - 60 days so equals 60 days

extension on the second 60 day visa for 30 days so equals 30 days

-----------------------

total 149 days

Check your visa carefully if that is what it says.

If so, use that stategy I suggested to max your time.

I believe there is a 1900 Baht fee for that extension, but it's cheaper than another full blown visa trip to Cambodia.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

ALL of the entries must be used before that date or they become invalid!

Or better yet, do your duty and record the incident

http://bigboyelectro...com/pen-dvr-4gb

and upload on youtube,

Every tuk tuk customer should be issued one of these. lol

I am hoping the big "4MB" written next to the camera lens can be removed? :unsure:

I just bought a pen similar to, if not identical to this pen in MBK, 640*480 resolution at 1500 baht.

I have recorded 1.5 h straight which consumed half the memory, but it also has provision to hook up with external battery.:coffee1:

The 4 GB thing is just a sticker that can be relocated.

Now if anyone know what the law says on video-recording crimes in Cambodia/Thailand and it's use in court of law ?

Edited by poanoi