Thai PM Abhisit Accuses Rivals Of Hidden Agenda

webfact

Thai PM accuses rivals of hidden agenda

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand's embattled premier on Thursday lashed out against his opponents three days ahead of a key election, accusing them of talking of reconciliation as a "cloak" to bring back his arch-rival.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's Democrat Party campaign is struggling to match the appeal of the opposition Puea Thai, unofficially led from abroad by Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted from power by a military coup in 2006.

Puea Thai's main candidate for the top job is Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra, who has discussed an amnesty for convicted politicians to bring reconciliation to Thailand -- which could pave the way for her brother's return.

"Reconciliation is now being used as a cloak for amnesty for Thaksin so far as Puea Thai is concerned. That is not right," Abhisit told AFP in an interview at the Democrat headquarters in Bangkok, ahead of the pivotal vote on Sunday.

"We think it's unfair to the Thai people for a political party to place Thaksin's interests before the people's or the country's."

The controversial Thaksin lives abroad to escape a jail term imposed in absentia for corruption, and is also wanted on terrorism charges.

Since his ouster, a series of street protests by rival groups have rocked Thailand, culminating in two months of mass rallies last year by his "Red Shirt" supporters that left more than 90 people dead in clashes with the army.

Political newcomer Yingluck is widely considered to be her brother's political proxy and she has taken the lead in the polls, but Abhisit remained defiant.

"The latest published polls may have us behind, but we are convinced that the momentum is behind us and we've had tremendous responses in the last couple of weeks, so we're confident," he said.

The Democrats took power in 2008 after judicial rulings threw out previous Thaksin-allied administrations, and Oxford-educated Abhisit is accused by critics of being an unelected puppet of the military and the establishment.

In a bid to reverse his flagging fortunes ahead of the vote, Abhisit has turned up the heat on his rivals, calling on voters to "get rid of the poison of Thaksin" during a rally at the site of last year's crackdown on the Red Shirts.

"When you enter into a race there is always a possibility of a defeat but we have a few more days," he told AFP. "It's not time to think about it."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-01

He's absolutely right of course, and though there are lots of hidden agendas in Thai politics, the biggest and most obvious is the 'Pardon Thaksin Party (PTP)'. When Thaksin steps off the plane without his handcuffs on in December, and the Yingluck Government soon faces another Ratchaprasong, instead of reconciliation, he will be vindicated.

The Pardon Thaksin Party.

So aptly put.

Every time they try to say this is not about clearing Thaksin their noses grow another centimeter.

Well, mine's about 9 inches longer than my other appendage...................

Looks like about half the electorate, a mere 14 million people kind of disagree with you.

Last gasp from a dying campaign.

I'm sure the political knives will be out for the PM who carried the burden of the election on his shoulders while some of his cabinet ministers hid on the sidelines.

Yep you're right on this one. The problem will be for the dems who would lead the party if / when he resigns? Suthep - well that would be as popular as having a pedo in a school, Korbsak too much yellow in him for large parts of society to stomach.

I'm sure that (despite reports) AV will however do the honorable thing and resign if his party fails by a large margin. but IMO I don't think the margin will be as large as some commentators have us think, just a hunch.

Looking forward to this election purely because the people need to feel they are in charge of the country and its direction

Unofficially led from abroad, evading a jail term,(of a pathetic 2 years!!) wanted on terrorism charges...

AND YET, his sister WITH NO POLICIES other than 'recon-silly-ation, is permitted to 'officially lead' the opposition.

And cry...

How many 'Puea Thai' supporters are actually in fear of saying anything other than what they're expected/told to??

what a hub of rubbish!!:bah:

ef

E2A - nah, nevermind. its pointless...

Edited by edgarfriendly

Unofficially led from abroad, evading a jail term,(of a pathetic 2 years!!) wanted on terrorism charges...

AND YET, his sister WITH NO POLICIES other than 'recon-silly-ation, is permitted to 'officially lead' the opposition.

And cry...

How many 'Puea Thai' supporters are actually in fear of saying anything other than what they're expected/told to??

what a hub of rubbish!!:bah:

ef

E2A - nah, nevermind. its pointless...

You"re a bit slow.

Her policies are being derided on another thread.

At least she has derisible policies / aims/ targets........

I'm sure the political knives will be out for the PM who carried the burden of the election on his shoulders while some of his cabinet ministers hid on the sidelines.

I completely agree. Their campaign really has been useless. It is so easy to see the split in the party, when Abhisit stands front and centre to announce something akin to raising the minimum wage, and then there is a deathly silence from everyone in the party. He really has been hung out to dry, and there is obviously no unified idea about where the Dems want to go.

Just as yesterday, PTP came up with (largely unachievable) plans for the next 10 years, at least the whole PTP will appear to get behind them. Even if they lie completely, it is a unified lie. People look at the Dems and know that there is little or no unified support behind Abhisit's plans, so there is little trust from the electorate.

This all said, TIT. Let's see on Sunday/Monday.

So aptly put.

Every time they try to say this is not about clearing Thaksin their noses grow another centimeter.

Looks like about half the electorate, a mere 14 million people kind of disagree with you.

And billions of flies eat pooh.

Hidden agendas in politics? This is news? Name one politician anywhere in the world who doesn't have a hidden agenda. Number one hidden agenda....Get re-elected. Number two...Pay back campaign contributors.......Last "priority"....Keep campaign promises.

"We think it's unfair to the Thai people for a political party to place Thaksin's interests before the people's or the country's." [Abhisit]

This is the elitist mindset, ignoring the people's voted interests as in previous reversed elections. For the people's own good we are canceling their votes because it is unfair for them to get what they vote for.

So aptly put.

And billions of flies eat pooh.

:cheesy:

Nice to see that the farangs on TV retain their sense-of-humour despite everything ! :thumbsup:

Based on the 2007-turnout of 38.981 million, voting once-only in the proportional-vote & including invalid/No-votes, PPP got 39.6% rather than "about half the electorate". Of course some of them may actually have been voting-PPP, rather than voting-Thaksin, regardless of the lengths of their noses, or indeed their other appendages. (Source for figures ... Wikipedia) :rolleyes:

"We think it's unfair to the Thai people for a political party to place Thaksin's interests before the people's or the country's." [Abhisit]

This is the elitist mindset, ignoring the people's voted interests as in previous reversed elections. For the people's own good we are canceling their votes because it is unfair for them to get what they vote for.

I think it's unfair to offer rotten Somtham to a good friend. :jap:

So aptly put.

So 9.5 inches then?:D

Mark I have felt your campaign has not been passionate and forceful enough . I hope it doesnt allow the enemies within Thailand to have absolute power, You will have failed if they do.

I am afraid that the real power struggle in Thailand is way above his head!

He's never had a chance to proof anything! As a person, he should have gracefully resigned after the police commissioner's debacle.

So aptly put.

Unluckily its the poor uneducated 14 million of the Thai people... gulible is the word that comes to mind... sorry, but the truth hurts..

I completely agree. Their campaign really has been useless. It is so easy to see the split in the party, when Abhisit stands front and centre to announce something akin to raising the minimum wage, and then there is a deathly silence from everyone in the party. He really has been hung out to dry, and there is obviously no unified idea about where the Dems want to go.

Just as yesterday, PTP came up with (largely unachievable) plans for the next 10 years, at least the whole PTP will appear to get behind them. Even if they lie completely, it is a unified lie. People look at the Dems and know that there is little or no unified support behind Abhisit's plans, so there is little trust from the electorate.

This all said, TIT. Let's see on Sunday/Monday.

May I add that while I personally favor the Dems at this point in time, they really sucked especially as to what is really a stake. I am not convinced that the power grab from the PTPw00t.gif As I know I am repeating myself when I say "Someone once told me A perfectly beleveable falshood is much more useful than the inexplicable truth"

Edited by MILT

So aptly put.

Unluckily its the poor uneducated 14 million of the Thai people... gulible is the word that comes to mind... sorry, but the truth hurts..

The PTP campaign would have sunk without trace after a week in any politically savvy electorate. Half a week in the US.

So aptly put.

Oh mick thats the best joke I have read for some time.

The PTP campaign would have sunk without trace after a week in any politically savvy electorate. Half a week in the US.

So aptly put.

Oh, I don't know about that...Sarah Palin is (unbelievably) still going strong.

Oh, I don't know about that...Sarah Palin is (unbelievably) still going strong.

So where Reagan, Bush, Bush and Bush governments!

So aptly put.

"sunk without trace after a week in any politically savvy electorate" "Half a week in the US." Bush Gore anyone?