Media To Probe Pheu Thai Bribery Accusations

Lite Beer

Media to probe Pheu Thai bribery accusations

By The Nation

Media associations will next week begin inquiries into an email that suggested a Pheu Thai candidate paid many journalists Bt20,000 in exchange for favourable coverage of the party's prime ministerial candidate, Yingluck Shinawatra.

The National Press Council of Thailand, the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand, the Thai Journalists Association and the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association yesterday issued a joint statement saying the allegation had a negative impact on the media profession.

The two councils will take action by convening a panel to inquire into the case, the statement said.

Inquiries will begin on Tuesday and follow the ethical codes of the two councils, the statement said.

Pheu Thai candidate Wim Rungwattanajinda was accused of writing an email to his boss saying he had paid Bt20,000 to many journalists at newspapers and television networks in order for them to ensure reports on Yingluck were given prominence.

Wim, who is a deputy Pheu Thai spokesman, rejected the allegations, saying he had never written the email. He said it had been fabricated to damage the image of the party during the election campaign.

"I was in this profession for 20 years and I know very well that all journalists have integrity. It cannot be damaged for just 20,000 baht," he said.

Election commissioner Sodsri Satayatham said giving money to journalists for political favours during the campaign might violate election law.

"We have to look at the details and whether the offer aimed to have those journalists smear any candidates. If so, it would be against Article 53 of the election laws," she said.

Activist Dr Tul Sittisomwong called upon the media organisations to prove the allegation.

"I don't know whether such action is against any laws but it is improper," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-02

"Wim, who is a deputy Pheu Thai spokesman, rejected the allegations, saying................................."I was in this profession for 20 years and I know very well that all journalists have integrity. It cannot be damaged for just 20,000 baht."

Sure, they all have integrity, and it costs more than B20,000.

"Wim, who is a deputy Pheu Thai spokesman, rejected the allegations, saying................................."I was in this profession for 20 years and I know very well that all journalists have integrity. It cannot be damaged for just 20,000 baht."

Sure, they all have integrity, and it costs more than B20,000.

Yer i liked that "just 20,000b" remark.. it could have been a mis translation but .....a good one :D

The absurdity of actual putting such a thing in email shows they guy is stupid enough to try and do it. But the question is, did he just lose the money, or was anything slanted her way. This is a smoking gun in many ways.

Edited by animatic

Pheu Thai bribing journalists in order to shape the Thai media is not surprising considering that Thaksin himself has paid for high profile lobbyists to create and spread propaganda:

Thaksin has been using quite a team of lobbyists to create and spread propaganda in order to try to achieve his own goals. Can we expect the expendable pawns to understand what's really going on?

Barbour Griffith & Rogers Lobbying Report (2011-01-20)

Provide strategic counsel on U.S. government policy and assist with advancing the individual's desire to promote democracy in Southeast Asia.

Amsterdam & Peroff LLP Lobbying Report (2010-10-20)

Counsel and guidance with respect to Mr. Thaksin's interests in Washington, DC and abroad

Kobre & Kim LLP Lobbying Report (2010-07-19)

Baker Botts L.L.P. Lobbying Report (2007-08-14)

Develop and implement a strategic approach to the various international legal and political issues that confront Dr. Thaksin due to the coup of September 19. The firm will monitor the evolution of US polices towards the interim government in Thailand or the Administration's position regarding attempts by Dr. Thaksin's return to Thailand and may subsequently undertake contacts as necessary to ensure that such policies remain consistent with those currently in place.

Daniel J. Edelman (2007-01-25)

Source: Corporate-funded "People's" Movement

Edited by hyperdimension

The absurdity of actual putting such a thing in email shows they guy is stupid enough to try and do it. But the question is, did he just lose the money, or was anything slanted her way. This is a smoking gun in many ways.

more like a water pistol, and will be forgotten in 48 hours...

No argument is stupid enough to discredit PTP. Who believes such a nonsense.

Indeed, ridiculous. Next time some Thaksin minion would be wrongfully accused of some other equally ridiculous thing, like, I don't know, slipping a pastry box stuffed with money to try to bribe a court judge... oh, wait. :rolleyes:

The Supreme Court sentenced to six months in jail a legal team of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra over what is called "the Pastry Gate," in which a supreme court official was given a pastry box filled with Bt2 million in cash.

It is indeed ridiculous to assume that "bribing" is the way of choice from only one part of the political spectrum in Thailand. I suggest googling "Suthep, 15 million bribe".

We can google many names, Ms Juthamas with US$1.7m comes to mind.

Mind you, the OP is on "Media to probe Pheu Thai bribery accusations", not on corruption in Thailand in general.

It is indeed ridiculous to assume that "bribing" is the way of choice from only one part of the political spectrum in Thailand. I suggest googling "Suthep, 15 million bribe".

Was there any proof to these accusations? It's interesting that the PTP didn't bring criminal charges against Suthep. Maybe they didn't actually have any evidence.

No argument is stupid enough to discredit PTP. Who believes such a nonsense.

Indeed, ridiculous. Next time some Thaksin minion would be wrongfully accused of some other equally ridiculous thing, like, I don't know, slipping a pastry box stuffed with money to try to bribe a court judge... oh, wait. :rolleyes:

The Supreme Court sentenced to six months in jail a legal team of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra over what is called "the Pastry Gate," in which a supreme court official was given a pastry box filled with Bt2 million in cash.

Yes, who could imagine Team Thaksin bribing people to get their way.

The only thing that seems out of place, is the numbers seem LOW.

Yes, who could imagine Team Thaksin bribing people to get their way.

The only thing that seems out of place, is the numbers seem LOW.

The journalists who accepted bribes may have thought that it's better than nothing. All they had to do was continue doing their job (for which they are already paid), but for simply writing with some bias they would get an extra 20K THB.

There were quite a few articles that seemed obviously biased during the election campaign. Here is one that I recall, and it's only when you tabulate the data that you can clearly see Abhisit being far superior: PM's Leadership Index On Slight Decline, With Opposition Candidate Climbing. Even more biased, referring to the same survey, was ABAC Poll: Yingluck outshines Abhisit, as it did not even mention any of Abhisit's scores.

I hope more evidence arises, possibly from any journalists who declined Pheu Thai's offer.

Edited by hyperdimension

Media associations will next week begin

After the election...when it won't matter as the issue will be forgotten when the next election approaches...guess the 20k bonus paid off.

Who leaked the e-mail to whom? Where can it be found? Who took money? Will the employers of the bribed journalists taking part in the investigation? Even on other websites (2bangkok.com) I can find only the word "allegations". I am no fan of Thaksin or PTP or any other political party here in Th ( My dream is that one day politicians in TH will be held accountable for what they doing and please no more amnesties) but this looks like fabricating reasons to dissolve PTP if they win the elections.

this looks like fabricating reasons to dissolve PTP if they win the elections.

I think there are also a few other cards the Democrats (or other people or institutions) can play, such as vote buying, massive undeniable interference by a foreigner, or Yingluck's perjury.

Edited by hyperdimension

Who leaked the e-mail to whom? Where can it be found? Who took money? Will the employers of the bribed journalists taking part in the investigation? Even on other websites (2bangkok.com) I can find only the word "allegations". I am no fan of Thaksin or PTP or any other political party here in Th ( My dream is that one day politicians in TH will be held accountable for what they doing and please no more amnesties) but this looks like fabricating reasons to dissolve PTP if they win the elections.

May I suggest you read the OP (i.e. post #1) again, please. It will already answer a few of your questions ;)

Well there is still the 10 Billion Baht that went missing-cant be accounted for, :ph34r: whilst the Democrats were and are still in power under a caretaker Gov.

"O" that's right it might have been used to buy drugs or launder money or to pay for votes and misinformation like this topic. :whistling:

And what was the outcome of the cash missing. We cant trace where it went, but everything is OK. as it only accounts for, I think 1% of the Thai cash. :blink:

Edited by OZEMADE

Well there is still the 10 Billion Baht that went missing-cant be accounted for, :ph34r: whilst the Democrats were and are still in power under a caretaker Gov.

"O" that's right it might have been used to buy drugs or launder money or to pay for votes and misinformation like this topic. :whistling:

And what was the outcome of the cash missing. We cant trace where it went, but everything is OK. as it only accounts for, I think 1% of the Thai cash. :blink:

Except that it didn't go missing.

Except that it didn't go missing.

Well I don't remember reading anything about it being accounted for, do you. All I remember were the excuses as to where it might have gone and I repeat under this current Gov.

Well I don't remember reading anything about it being accounted for, do you. All I remember were the excuses as to where it might have gone and I repeat under this current Gov.

It didn't need to be accounted for, because it wasn't missing. Even you don't believe it's missing. :o

So 10 billion has been withdrawn from banks all over Thailand? He said since the election campaign bagan,when did the election campaign begin or to buy and sell drugs or to buy votes.

Where did this guy get these outragious claims. Is it possible he has a finger in the pie.

How is it not possible to trace where and how 10 billion Baht went?

I think Sorasit Soontornkes, Assistant Governor at the Bank of Thailand, or BOT, has lost the plot.

Me thinks he has got a lot of explaining to do, if what he has allegedly stated is true.

Edited by whybother

It didn't need to be accounted for, because it wasn't missing. Even you don't believe it's missing. :o

So 10 billion has been withdrawn from banks all over Thailand? He said since the election campaign bagan,when did the election campaign begin or to buy and sell drugs or to buy votes.

Where did this guy get these outragious claims. Is it possible he has a finger in the pie.

I think Sorasit Soontornkes, Assistant Governor at the Bank of Thailand, or BOT, has lost the plot.

Me thinks he has got a lot of explaining to do, if what he has allegedly stated is true.

I rest my case, you have answered it for me. He cant explain where it went. So how do you come to the point that it is not missing?

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote tags.

I rest my case, you have answered it for me. He cant explain where it went. So how do you come to the point that it is not missing?

Go back and look at the article you quoted. The funds were withdrawn. It didn't go missing.

Mrs Changers is miffed. She is always telling people what they should be doing and no one has greased her palm to get her to put any party before another. Mrs Changers has been telling everyone, including next door's dog, the goldfish, passing farang, who to vote for. Trying to tell Mrs Changers the "We're having a party in the shop" party does not really count.