Corruption Out Of Control in Pattaya.

daveyravey

Ive been living in Thailand for many years now. I often visit Pattaya for RandR.

This time i got talking to a bar owner who was just done by immigration for working.Hahaha what a laff. He is the laziest basterd i know of. Reckons he coughed 80k baht to clear problem.

The police are stopping people everywhere. My house is in a different major city and we hardly ever get checkpoints like the ones i see in Patts around every corner everyday.

Are Pattaya police out of control?

Love or loath Thaksin, when he was here the police knew their place.

Ps

I believe the drug problem in Thailand has now exploded since Thaksins departure. Thoughts?

My thoughts on the bar owner done for working are simply that owning a bar in no way allows you to work and a work permit for that is not going to be given. Those who know keep their heads down and do not greet guests nor act like they are in any way working.

My thoughts on check points are that Pattaya is rife with motor bike theft, drugs and gun-toting youth gangs so the checks are warranted. The police are damned if the do these and damned if they don't. What would you suggest as an alternative ?

Not sure drugs and Thaksin are that related, frankly, despite his highly touted activity down South.

My own thoughts are that many nationalities are involved in the Thai drug trade with chemicals going out to other countries for re-imported finished drugs plus the exports of Yaba.

"Corruption Out Of Control in Pattaya. What do you think?"

What do I think? I think you need to change the topic title…….Corruption firmly in control in, substitute the word Thailand in place of Pattaya.

Are Pattaya police out of control? Yes and No….Dependson your take on corruption.

Edited by Tonto21

"Corruption Out Of Control in Pattaya. What do you think?"

What do I think? I think you need to change the topic title…….Corruption firmly in control in, substitute the word Thailand in place of Pattaya.

Are Pattaya police out of control? Yes and No….Dependson your take on corruption.

LOL!

My thoughts on the bar owner done for working are simply that owning a bar in no way allows you to work and a work permit for that is not going to be given. Those who know keep their heads down and do not greet guests nor act like they are in any way working.

My thoughts on check points are that Pattaya is rife with motor bike theft, drugs and gun-toting youth gangs so the checks are warranted. The police are damned if the do these and damned if they don't. What would you suggest as an alternative ?

Not sure drugs and Thaksin are that related, frankly, despite his highly touted activity down South.

My own thoughts are that many nationalities are involved in the Thai drug trade with chemicals going out to other countries for re-imported finished drugs plus the exports of Yaba.

I'm sure the OP's friend wasn't done for working in the sense of the word,but probably as so many bar owners for being physical present.Yes corruption is out of control in Pattaya.

I agree with you about the check points and their usefulness,but it only shows that criminality is also out of control in Pattaya

Farangs will bitch and moan about corruption because they can't benefit from it, most times they can't and that's why they complain.

They hate to see a Thai man making money but are quite willing to pay whatever it takes to a Thai man to avoid a drunk driving charge, typical Farang, selective corruption is acceptable, sickening really.

If I were a Thai cop, I'd give Farangs no chance at all to get off lightly, because we all know how ALL Farangs are against corruption and would like to see the full force of the Law applied and how they slate the Thai Police for being so corrupt.......

What a joke, most Farangs I know get totally drunk and still drive in the knowledge they can pay their way out of anything.

Oh, I forgot, ThaiVisa members are different, yeah right, of course they are, Internet people are different, if they got caught drinking and driving they would refuse a 3000 Baht bribe and insist on a court appearance instead.

The fact that there are many many Farangs drinking and driving tells me they trust in the corruption easy payment system, or do they want the full force of the law thrown at them ?

Of course, ThaiVisa members are different........................None of them ever break the law.cool.gif

Yeah right.

Hey I was just reminded about................................ never mind

Edited by GM1955

Do birds fly, do fish swim?

Does a one legged duck swim in circles ?

Does a Farang who lives in Thailand by choice have credibility when he slags Thailand off and tells the world what a terrible place it is, all the while choosing to live there himself ?

Does a Farang in Thailand think he can change the way it is, and would he have ever moved here if it wasn't the way it is ?

Edited by GM1955

Does a one legged duck swim in circles ?

Does a Farang who lives in Thailand by choice have credibility when he slags Thailand off and tells the world what a terrible place it is, all the while choosing to live there himself ?

Does a Farang in Thailand think he can change the way it is, and would he have ever moved here if it wasn't the way it is ?

Don't like Farngs do we :whistling:

Edited by William Osborne

Simple answer

The cops uphold law more in tourist areas,and not upcountry.Also if he got caugfht working without a permit he is lucky he wasnt deported.

Lets get one thing right,The police havent done there job for years,now they are trying to uphold the law,and u moan.

A mate of mine was moaning like hell that he only did a uturn on pattaya tai and the cop did him for 500 baht.The truth was that the cop DID stop him,and he didnt have an up to daye driving license,what a plonker.I got done for no seat belt last week,my first offense in 7 years,and i paid the 400 baht fine and was glad the cope are doing their job corectly.

Simple answer

The cops uphold law more in tourist areas,and not upcountry.Also if he got caugfht working without a permit he is lucky he wasnt deported.

Lets get one thing right,The police havent done there job for years,now they are trying to uphold the law,and u moan.

A mate of mine was moaning like hell that he only did a uturn on pattaya tai and the cop did him for 500 baht.The truth was that the cop DID stop him,and he didnt have an up to daye driving license,what a plonker.I got done for no seat belt last week,my first offense in 7 years,and i paid the 400 baht fine and was glad the cope are doing their job corectly.

Do you want them to arrest the mongers too?

Dont agree sorry, I was stopped today, very polite copper as was I, he asked for my licence, I showed him, thank you Sir and off I went, been stopped many many times in 10 yrs, had a couple opportunities to bung a couple hundred and go, quite a few more times not accepted and off to soi 9 to pay the fine.

As for your mate working, they do have problems with falang working even silly little things but there is normally an underlying reason why, another bar owner I know got done for not paying taxes, he got a 30K baht fine, got the right Ump he did, I'll show he said, didnt pay the next year, 100K fine, needless to say he is on his arse now.

Yes there is corruption but not as bad as you will hear.

Dont agree sorry, I was stopped today, very polite copper as was I, he asked for my licence, I showed him, thank you Sir and off I went, been stopped many many times in 10 yrs, had a couple opportunities to bung a couple hundred and go, quite a few more times not accepted and off to soi 9 to pay the fine.

As for your mate working, they do have problems with falang working even silly little things but there is normally an underlying reason why, another bar owner I know got done for not paying taxes, he got a 30K baht fine, got the right Ump he did, I'll show he said, didnt pay the next year, 100K fine, needless to say he is on his arse now.

Yes there is corruption but not as bad as you will hear.

Interesting 'Danlo' I see your view point, but you have to understand, (I don't mean to sound condescending) we will all view corruption different, and to varying degrees depending on our own experience.Take the OP comment about 'Thaksin' sure….he ran a tight ship, but he made the BIB look like the 'key-stone-cops as far as corruption went, 'Thaksin' was the man, (maybe again soon) Personally, as far as staying off the BIBs radar; stay the 'gray man', stay legal and don't give anyone in Thailand the opportunity to lean on you. Then you just have 'tea money' to pay out.

Edited by Tonto21

The police are stopping people everywhere. My house is in a different major city and we hardly ever get checkpoints like the ones i see in Patts around every corner everyday.

Pattaya is party town, full to the brim of "rich" free spending tourists that are ripe for the plucking/scamming. As such there is both a large support population from the poorer rural parts of the country looking for a job as well as people that seek money by direct theft or dealing in drugs stolen goods etc.

As such I would expect that within a random group of people on motorbikes stopped passing a checkpoint in Pattaya would yield more busts than in Udon or Khon Kaen for example.

Does this mean that corruption is seen as a percentage of all professions - and do they gravitate to where there is the best chance to take "their" percentage? I would guess that given the space limitation of prison and time effectiveness of "due process" on the spot un-official fines of criminals might not be considered a reasonable crime-tax?

Simple answer

Do you want them to arrest the mongers too?

Perhaps if they arrested some of the slimier foreigners it would improve the atmosphere for everyone. However, once they started doing that, you would claim it was some silly conspiracy wouldn't you? The fact of the matter is that when someone is stopped it is because the person was committing an infraction, right? Or are you going to claim that the coppers sit around scheming on how to shake down tourists and residents? There are so many disgusting foreigners around, that it's like collecting coins out of the fountain in Rome. No need to harass normal folks when the riff raff are walking about. Harvesting the low hanging fruit is all they are doing. Yes corruption is all around in Thailand, but a great many foreigners are every bit as corrupt and as loathesome as the corrupt Thais.

we will all view corruption different

... or even don't see it !

Ok, I am ready to believe that there is (lot of) corruption in Thailand, but where and who is concerned?

I can believe that falangs who own/manage bars or business can be confronted to corruption,

but I don't see any reason for the "normal" guy living a "normal" life in Pattaya.

5 years living here and never concerned myself. :)

Then you just have 'tea money' to pay out.

Again, I do know that 'tea money' exists,

but when does a "normal guy" need to pay it? Really don't know.

Seems to me that corruption is more something relative to those who own a business here. :unsure:

I don't understand the OP point.

So you meet a guy who broke the law, and instead of being

deported/going to jail he paid somebody off. How do you feel

about illegal workers in your home country ? Yes corruption

is bad and this guy should have been deported. He should

consider to be lucky they let him stay for a small fine ... If he

is running a business, he should get a work permit, like any

other law abiding foreigner does.

And what is wrong with police check points ? I have been living

here over 15 years. Back in the old days, the cops would stop

farang only and just ask for money. This has not happened to

me in at least 10 years. Any tickets I have gotten from the cops

in the last 10 years, as much as I hate to admit it, I did deserve.

No difference to my home country, or any other western place

I have visited.

I for one, do welcome the increased police presents and check

points. Unfortunately Pattaya attracts a lot of criminals, foreign

and domestic. Often times I see the incredible bad attitude

foreigners have toward the cops and are rude and uncooperative.

If they would do that in their home countries they would be

arrested on the spot.

Corruption is part of thai culture. And quite honestly, I rather give

the cop (typically) 1/2 of the fine on the spot, than have to go down

to the police station and pay the full fine, and sometimes have to

go and recover my drivers license again. It's more hassle, more

expensive ... try find car parking next to the police station ...

Cheers,

rudi

• 1 month later...

I've been stopped a few times in the last couple of years. The BIB were always polite, asked to see my licence (and sometimes my Tax Disc/insurance). Never a problem , showed them the relevant documents and on my way in a matter of moments.

I'm not the best rider in the world but I do tend to obey the law. Consequently I have never paid tea money to anybody.

Corruption is the fuel that keeps this country running.

I don't think there is any more or less of it, just that the police are getting hip to new ways to collect. 4am helmet stops on small sois for example. Claiming a non-modified bike is modified. Urine testing on the side of the road. All unheard of just a couple of years ago, but they are finding new ways to collect their beer money.

Corruption in Pattaya,i dont believe it . :whistling:

no way! :ph34r:

There is NO more corruption in Pattaya than there is in any other place in Thailand. I have had to pay a couple of cops off now and again and I have been checked in the car and on the bike as well in different parts of Thailand. Had to pay sometimes and was told to move on all Ok other times.

Only pay outs were travelling in wrong lane as everything else has always been OK.

Penal code of Thailand

Section 157

Whoever, being an official,

wrongfully exercises or does not exercise any of his functions to the injury of any person,

or dishonestly exercises or omits to exercise any of his functions,

shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years or fined of two thousand to twenty thousand Baht, or both.

http://www.samuifors...penal-code.html

http://www.google.co...RHh65sR68Ico-3Q

Only question is: If i catch a police wrongfully exercises or does not exercise any of his functions to the injury of any person, (myself)

where do i go to press charges ?

I think i'm suppose to go to a judge somewhere, but where ?

Edited by poanoi

I have never experienced an instance of corruption in the over 10 years I have lived in Pattaya (and that includes at least 30-40 times receiving immigration services of one kind or another) so no I don't think corruption is out of control in Pattaya. Of course, I am retired and don't work so don't have to scratch out a living doing things that may bring me in more contact with the legal authorities of one sort or another.

As to the police checkpoints you mention, they are mostly enforcing legitimate traffic laws, which both Thais and farangs flout with regularity so are in need of a little "control." They are also looking for drugs and other contraband so are a good thing.

Corruption is the fuel that keeps this country running.

I don't think there is any more or less of it, just that the police are getting hip to new ways to collect. 4am helmet stops on small sois for example. Claiming a non-modified bike is modified. Urine testing on the side of the road. All unheard of just a couple of years ago, but they are finding new ways to collect their beer money.

What brasses me off about the whole "helmet" thing, is that it's so irrational. Stopping and fining ( mainly farangs ) for no helmets along Beach and Second, while up at the Sukhumvit end of Central Rd there are Thais driving around with no helmets all the time. I have even seen them drive past policemen, that ignore them.

IMO, that's why the whole thing invites criticism from farangs, as it's seen as basically a revenue producing exercise, and not for safety.

It's certainly not fair, which law enforcement needs to be if it is to have credibility.