Thailands Train Service

My Thai G/f wont let me travel by train as its populated by highwayman, thugs, robbers and all sorts of bad people, you know of course that she has never been on a train! The bus is always better, well its not and I fully intend to have a few journeys with the railways this year.

Rail Travel is the most civilised way to travel and beats the bus all ends up,ok maybe the bus might be quicker but what would you do with the time? I like to see the ever changing picture through my window, have a bite and beer if I want, much less stressful.

I hope the next government, whoever it may be will invest more in it.

Haha, that's ace.

I remember many years ago being on a train coming back from somewhere slightly North back to Bangkok but at night and there were no seats so ended up in 3rd class carriage. My girlfriend at the time was not happy and guys were drinking, smoking, gambling. The only time I'd say things were a little 'edgy' on a train. She kept telling me 'don't talk to them if they talk to you'. Obviously they were all hammered. No problem though.

I'll take train over bus anyday but does seems some Thai, particularly women love the bus. I just love my own private seat, especially if the person opposite you is someone you know, kick back, have a drink, toilets are right there, brush my teeth at night, have a lay down.

A little touch I do like and not sure if it's by design is those little hooks they have by the seats, just perfect for hanging your bags of food ;)

Dont worry about my trousers boys, she likees the snake that resides within! I think we all agree the train is a fine way to get around and if nothing else I think we a train lovers appreciation society well entrenched on the site. I start my day with a smile we achieved something these last days.

Next month and I do not jest, I start to build a model railway in bedroom number 3.

Whichever way go , It is Surin to Hua Lumphong, then on to Cha-Am. So many permutations, but you might like to consider, an overnight 2nd class sleeper from Surin, , then a day train from H.L to Cha-Am, as that is quite a short leg. That would be my preferred option.Awful journey by bus, especially as you have to get from Morchit to the new Southern bus terminal, Happy travelling

There are buses that go south from Mo Chit, we took one to Krabi at the end of May.

I am sorry,but are you sure you were at Morchit? There are no buses to the South from Morchit, only to the Central, North and North East, with a few also to the East. Buses to the South ONLY depart from Sai Tai,the Southern Bus Terminal. Most buses to the East depart from Ekamai.

Yes, 100% sure. the Mrs didn't believe me either until we got there and bought the tickets! :lol: When we went (24th May this year) they'd been running the service to Krabi for about a month. It actually took us most of the way to Koh Lanta, dropped us off near(ish) the 1st ferry, so we had the option of getting off at Krabi bus station but were taken further.

On the way back it stopped in the Southern Bus Station and then went on to Mo Chit,It's true, I didn't dream it! :)