Marriage Visa

I had always thought in the case of a marriage visa required bank account had to be in the name of the foreigner. But in PO 606/2549 it states either or both.

Is there something I am missing here or is it that the requirement for a retirement visa can only be in the foreigners name?

Bank account has to be in the name of the foreigner. No joint account are anymore accepted.

Sometimes they can accept the joint account but they only use then 50% of the money.

( i can not confirm if this is still possible )

A while ago the account could be in joint or single name but this is changed.

The current Police Order is 777/2551. 606/2549 did allow Thai spouse money to be used - that is no longer the case (and was not the case before that 2 year period).

Normally joint accounts were accepted however - until after the 777/2551 order where they had to be sure money was foreign spouse again and got strict that money be applicant name only. Recent reports indicate that may not be firmly applied anymore but unless you know for sure it is best to have in your name only.

The rule is pretty clear.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

When the foreigner has a bankaccount in his name only, what happens when he dies?

Will it be difficult / time consuming for the thai widdow to access the money? If so, i would prefer to get 1 year visas in europe, rather then extend in thailand.

Thanks for answering.

The rule is pretty clear.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

If i have a bankaccount in my name only, can i give a proxy to my wife?

(i am not sure about the word proxy, i mean give my wife authority to take money from my account)

thanks

A visa, even if one year, only allows a stay of 90 days so is not the same as a one year extension of stay from Immigration.

Believe under Thai law wife/children would get account funds but not sure how involved it might be. Most people would make sure wife knew where the ATM card was I suspect. Not sure if banks have a 'pay on death' type paper as in US (only have a joint account).

Previously Immigration understood the desire for joint account and fully accepted them for marriage and if in doubt of money origin checked account for transfer information. Believe they may be returning to that but not enough reporting to be sure yet.

A visa, even if one year, only allows a stay of 90 days so is not the same as a one year extension of stay from Immigration.

Believe under Thai law wife/children would get account funds but not sure how involved it might be. Most people would make sure wife knew where the ATM card was I suspect. Not sure if banks have a 'pay on death' type paper as in US (only have a joint account).

Previously Immigration understood the desire for joint account and fully accepted them for marriage and if in doubt of money origin checked account for transfer information. Believe they may be returning to that but not enough reporting to be sure yet.

Please do not use the word VISA. You and I know what we speak about but there is no visa as most people know it.

I just was not aware of the new police order and now I am. Thanks to all for the clarification.

You are the person you posted about a marriage visa - I posted a visa only provides a 90 day stay even if it is valid for one year (which is correct) and the visa in question is a multi entry non immigrant O mentioned in post 6.

You are the person you posted about a marriage visa - I posted a visa only provides a 90 day stay even if it is valid for one year (which is correct) and the visa in question is a multi entry non immigrant O mentioned in post 6.

None the less, The visa is for 60 days, extendable to 90 days and then an additional 1 year extension may be applied for marriage or retirement. The wording makes it difficult for 'newcomers'. It is not a VISA. Iti is an an extension of stay based on the condition you apply for.

Or is my knowledge of what I have learned from this site for naught?

A one year visa allows entry for 90 day periods. A tourist visa entry may be for 30 or 60 days but not a non immigrant visa entry.

Thus the need to report every 90 days.So, pray tell, how long is a non immigrant visa good for?

Edited by Gonsalviz

A visa entry does not require 90 day address reporting as you never stay more than 90 days. It is extensions of stay for more than 90 days that require this extra reporting.

A multi entry non immigrant O visa (as issued for marriage) will allow unlimited entry for up to 90 days at a time for one year from date of issue. So if used for max time almost 15 months (by entering day before it expires for a new 90 day stay).

A visa entry does not require 90 day address reporting as you never stay more than 90 days. It is extensions of stay for more than 90 days that require this extra reporting.

A multi entry non immigrant O visa (as issued for marriage) will allow unlimited entry for up to 90 days at a time for one year from date of issue. So if used for max time almost 15 months (by entering day before it expires for a new 90 day stay).

My point exactly. A visa is never good for more than 90 days. Anything over 90 days is an extension but there is no such thing as an marriage or retirement visa.

Some where along the line we got our wires crossed.

The thread title is "Marriage Visa Bank account" so it appears was off track at that point. :D

Immigration itself can often get the terms mixed up so, after almost a decade trying to explain, do understand why many people are confused. But in this forum we often need to know exactly which it is to provide accurate information so still have to ask and try to explain on almost a post by post basis.

• 2 weeks later...

The thread title is "Marriage Visa Bank account" so it appears was off track at that point. :D

Immigration itself can often get the terms mixed up so, after almost a decade trying to explain, do understand why many people are confused. But in this forum we often need to know exactly which it is to provide accurate information so still have to ask and try to explain on almost a post by post basis.

Agreed.