Dehumidifier In Thailand

damole

I just came back to my Condo in Chiang Mai to find some things with a covering of mould. I just bought a Novita ND290i dehumidifier for my place in India and would like to buy something similar here. The Novita website says that they are available in Thailand but I have no idea where.

Anybody seen something like this here or anywhere in Thailand?

cheers

damole

I'd like to know too!

I wonder that dehumidifiers aren't everywhere, but I've not seen them. It occurs to me that they would be very useful here - and less expensive to run than aircon on those days that a fan doesn't help enough.

Edited by CMX

Aren't those little portable airconditioner units basically dehumidifiers? They pull water out of the air and blow out cool air. They look and produce water just like the portable dehumidifier we used in our basement in the U.S.

Siam TV, just outside the moat on the SW side of the city would be a good place to start to look and ask questions.

• Like 1

Aren't those little portable airconditioner units basically dehumidifiers? They pull water out of the air and blow out cool air. They look and produce water just like the portable dehumidifier we used in our basement in the U.S.

Siam TV, just outside the moat on the SW side of the city would be a good place to start to look and ask questions.

Exactly the opposite Nancy. They have a tank of water you fill and it cools by evaporation and make the air more humid. You need a window open when using them. Here it is too humid for them to be much use though they seem to work in the lower humidity already air conditioned showrooms. :rolleyes:

Exactly the opposite Nancy. They have a tank of water you fill and it cools by evaporation and make the air more humid. You need a window open when using them. Here it is too humid for them to be much use though they seem to work in the lower humidity already air conditioned showrooms. :rolleyes:

We seem to have crossed wires here. A DEhumidifier collects moisture; good ones require a drainage pipe. Alternatively, one can attend a bucket of some type and discard the water from time to time. While it has a cooling element to extract the moisture, it is not as expensive to run as even an efficient air-con unit, which must process enough air to cool the room. And yes, the mold of which OP speaks is less likely to develop; thus, less humidity + a fan might = greater comfort and a lower electricity bill = greater greater comfort in some circumstances.

(Sorry for shouting a tad.)

Edited by CMX

We seem to have crossed wires here. A DEhumidifier collects moisture; good ones require a drainage pipe. Alternatively, one can attend a bucket of some type and discard the water from time to time. While it has a cooling element to extract the moisture, it is not as expensive to run as even an efficient air-con unit, which must process enough air to cool the room. And yes, the mold of which OP speaks is less likely to develop; thus, less humidity + a fan might = greater comfort and a lower electricity bill = greater greater comfort in some circumstances.

Thanks for your explanation.

When I first saw the topic my first impression was they would need a industrial size one for a small house here.

The Novita one I have in India is about the size of a carry on baggage case. As monsoon was only just starting in the place where I stay there (Dharamsala) I was only having to empty the 3.5 litre tank once a day in a 25sqm room. As most people know a humid environment makes it feel hotter and I could really feel the difference being in a dry room rather than in the humid air outside, a feeling with some similarity to that experienced after being in an air conditioned room for a while and then going outside. Of course the difference is less in magnitude but still very noticeable.

I will try HomePro and the rest tomorrow. I had thought I'd seen a Bionnaire model in Powerbuy (kad) once so I will try there too.

Thanks for the replies.

cheers

damole

I bought one at the Carrefour a couple of years back, not that brand, but a 'Bluesky'. But I don't think they carry them anymore. I think I've seen them at the big Electronics store on the road that runs south of the Moat. They have lots of air cleaners there and I believe dehumidifiers too. The top floor of Robinson's might be another place to check.

Oops, sorry, I was confused. Thanks for correcting my misconception. I really haven't looked closely at how a portable airconditioner operates. I just assumed they were dehumidifers because of their size. Sounds like they're actually small "swamp coolers".

Our across-the-hall condo neighbors had an small fan in their bathroom that exhausted into the hallway. They ran that fan 100% of the time to keep the bathroom mold-free

Edited by NancyL

I bought one at the Carrefour a couple of years back, not that brand, but a 'Bluesky'. But I don't think they carry them anymore. I think I've seen them at the big Electronics store on the road that runs south of the Moat. They have lots of air cleaners there and I believe dehumidifiers too. The top floor of Robinson's might be another place to check.

Siam on the outside of the south side of the moat might have one.

Well I tried at Homepro (Hang Dong) and Powerbuy (Robinson) both had the Bionaire for 24,00Bt. Neither Niyom Panich (road from corner of moat to airport plaza) or Siam TV (south side of moat) had any. The name in Thai is Krueang lot kwam cheun (machine lower humidity). Novita in Singapore will ship me the ND 290i for 15,000Bt but are out of stock until end of the month. I already have a Sharp Plamacluster air filter which claims to kill airborne mould spores and virues. It's the same thing they have on the immigration desk at Suvarnbhumi to kill H1N1 etc but bigger.

I guess I'll wait and see for now.

--damole

• 7 months later...