Outgoing Thai PM Abhisit Resigns As Party Leader

webfact

Undoubtedly, he did the best he could with a pigs ear of a coalition.

I reckon there is room for him and Korn to go off and make their own party. What holds them back is the old guard in the Democrat party who don't give too hoots to try and make a nationally popular social democrat party. Maybe his name is too tarnished by Rajprasong.

I just imagine the image of him standing up there on his own trying to explain policies like increasing the minimum wage, with Suthep mouthing behind him "Its never going to happen". They only came up with these policies to counter PTP, and it really didn't sit well acting in that manner.

It isn't that his policies weren't decent, it is that they really didn't fit with the image of the Democrats. They have been around a long time, and their sphere of influence largely ends at Bangkok. There was a really good discussion on Asianews network last night, and it was a recurring theme as to why it has come about that it appears that the Dems have given up trying to become a national party.

Their powerbase is the South, and the politicians down there are just as tribal as the reds in their strongholds. Someone really needs to give the Dems a big shake up and be brave enough to start trying to create a believable and consistent national policy. Not just one thought up to counter PTP.

He did what he could, which when you consider trying to balance the army and BJT and then try to counter PTP was way too much to ask. It was a coalition created in smoke filled rooms that really didn't represent anything more than closed door horse trading to come up with a quick solution to counter Thaksin. He was politically doomed from the start of his term.

A good analysis, Thaksin was a maverick in the system, he had to be tamed and punished. I think the signal is now being sent, you can come back now, but we have shown our power, don't step out of line again.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Suthep will give Abhisit some Phuket land to live on - Democrats and their families and cronies appear to have and sell lots of Southern land, especially in Phuket.

Now talking of Phuket and land and Suthep - ding a ling a ling.

The Democrats went running to Japan and borrowed loads and loads of cash and started spend spend spend.

As they always do.

Last time they got the country in such a bad way TRT and Thaksin had to come to power and bail the country out with good fiscal management, to eliminate the debts.

HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN THAT !

Nothing different this time, borrow and spend, borrow and spend is all they have done.

They were lucky as Asia has boomed while Europe and the USA suffer and capital has been flowing into Asian countries looking for more returns and less risk, so the damage they have done is largely hidden under a general Asia boom.

Have you (conveniently) forgotten what the global and Asian economies were like before, during and after Thaksin?

Yingluck ran a tight campaign, Abhisit a lack luster one, he seemed to anticipate defeat, I think he was getting the message from both the army and higher up that he was on his own. He may even have been told to throw the fight, I think deals have been made which only indirectly involve politics.

No, the Thai people have voted TRT to power, TRT to power, TRT to power, PPP to power, PTP to power.

Its got nothing to do with being told to lose - they always lose now as everyone hates their corrupt puppet masters.

Every excuse under the sun will come out for the apologists to the invisible hand BUT the Thai people choose Thaksin and his party - that is democracy and until the invisible hand starts meddling again that is way it will be.

You've definitely got that right, but I think a large percentage of the debate here has centered around the fact that Thailand's majority, the agrarian north, are primarily poorly educated, disgruntled people, easily sidetracked with the waving of a carrot in front of their faces. These people have spoken, but do they really understand what they've said?

Yingluck ran a tight campaign, Abhisit a lack luster one, he seemed to anticipate defeat, I think he was getting the message from both the army and higher up that he was on his own. He may even have been told to throw the fight, I think deals have been made which only indirectly involve politics.

No, the Thai people have voted TRT to power, TRT to power, TRT to power, PPP to power, PTP to power.

Its got nothing to do with being told to lose - they always lose now as everyone hates their corrupt puppet masters.

Every excuse under the sun will come out for the apologists to the invisible hand BUT the Thai people choose Thaksin and his party - that is democracy and until the invisible hand starts meddling again that is way it will be.

You've definitely got that right, but I think a large percentage of the debate here has centered around the fact that Thailand's majority, the agrarian north, are primarily poorly educated, disgruntled people, easily sidetracked with the waving of a carrot in front of their faces. These people have spoken, but do they really understand what they've said?

There is no educational test to be allowed to vote in a demcoracy. It is pretty much omov based on a constituency and party system. As education and other demographic factors change then so may voting habits and parties. Then again how many well educated and rich westerners vote for the party offering the biggest tax cut even when the country is in mega debt?

What we have to look forward to:

Comment from lead-red-economist Suchart last week in BP regarding the budget and how they planned to fund all these election promises -

BKKPost Rep: 'When would Pheu Thai be able to set a balanced budget?'

Suchart TT: 'A balanced budget? Let's not talk about that. What's the point?'.....and then.....'.yeehaww!'....or something to that affect, he didn't but should have attempted to holler....

If there's a replacement, let's hope for Korn. One of the most switched-on finance ministers we're had here for a long time - and pretty good with the foreign investment community, too. Fluent English speaker and one of the more trusted Dems.

Balanced budget? They aren't even close to the legal limits imposed under Thai law. The limit for public debt limit for public debt is 50% of GDP. Then just imagine if they get the tax revenues collected to even a minimum acceptable level for business.

Current public debt at 41 per cent of gross domestic product is manageable, the fiscal policy chief said.

Many countries would be extremely envious of being in such a good position. I don't advocate willy nilly spending, but there is plenty of scope for spending without ruining the finances of the country.

http://www.bdo-thaitax.com/bdo/in-the-news/3260

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_public_debt

Edited by Thai at Heart

The right thing to do. If renominated, he should make it clear he wont accept. The country needs an opposition as well as a government and Abhisit is a divisive character who will distract from the job an opposition has to do.

It is a good early test of whether the democrats can start to move forward. The old way will be to renominate and reelect and stay still. The modern way will be to thank him, accept he has gone and chose a new leader to rebuild the party

Frankly I think it stinks to high heaven that the guy is considered "divisive" considering the lengths taken to avoid bloodshed (city under siege for two months - where else in the world would that be allowed to happen!?!?). He is nothing more than the victim of an extremely well funded hate campaign, and as much as I can sympathise with any decision to stay out of politics for the rest of his life, the decision will send a clear message to anybody who attempts to oppose Thaksin's political machine in the future.

Sad days.

Well said, Insight.

Jem

Edited by JemJem

There is no educational test to be allowed to vote in a demcoracy. It is pretty much omov based on a constituency and party system. As education and other demographic factors change then so may voting habits and parties. Then again how many well educated and rich westerners vote for the party offering the biggest tax cut even when the country is in mega debt?

Well obviously there's no education test in order to vote, only a requirement of citizenship. This hasn't added to the debate at all. I feel dumber.

giggle.gif

He served his country well.

He was lucky he got to be PM considering his party is / was consistently outpolled (in large numbers) by the opposition.

He didn't start the madness of March-to-May 2010 but under his watch it was ended (as it needed to be).

Economically, Thailand became just about the fastest growing country in the world under his leadership. It's currency stregthened versus the US dollar by 30% (or more), construction, tourism, and manufacturing are booming and there's basically a job in this country for anyone who wants one.

That, my friends, is a record you can tell your grandchildren about.

Interesting story? Could tell us the name of the hero and what century it takes place in? - I guess it's a sort of Scy-Fy channel thing?

Edited by Deeral

The issue isn't that they are well, or poorly educated. They feel they have been left behind for a very long time, simply to provide produce for a very select bunch of people in Bangkok to generate enormous wealth. No political party gave a dam_n about them until TRT came along. Not the dems, not any of the local overlords, no one. All PTP has done in their various political guises is make the people in the countryside believe that they have their needs at the forefront of their ideas and policies. Hardly a political wonderstroke.

Now I don't presume that TRT/PTP is the best answer for their problems, but it isn't much of a political stunt to take a 75 year old political party and stand up after 75 years and claim "We are the people who will help you", when apparently they didn't even notice you existed for 75 years. I don't blame anyone in the North, or North East for voting PTP, it isn't as though they had too many believable options among the political parties who had any track record in delivering anything to make their lot in life one iota easier or quickly tangibly better.

What amazes me, is that no one political party noticed this before, which would only lead me to believe that they were encouraged not to, because it suited the business aims of a few in Bangkok. Roll on the price increases for commodities, and listen to the traders in Bangkok plead poverty.

The issue isn't that they are well, or poorly educated. They feel they have been left behind for a very long time, simply to provide produce for a very select bunch of people in Bangkok to generate enormous wealth. No political party gave a dam_n about them until TRT came along. Not the dems, not any of the local overlords, no one. All PTP has done in their various political guises is make the people in the countryside believe that they have their needs at the forefront of their ideas and policies. Hardly a political wonderstroke.

Now I don't presume that TRT/PTP is the best answer for their problems, but it isn't much of a political stunt to take a 75 year old political party and stand up after 75 years and claim "We are the people who will help you", when apparently they didn't even notice you existed for 75 years. I don't blame anyone in the North, or North East for voting PTP, it isn't as though they had too many believable options among the political parties who had any track record in delivering anything to make their lot in life one iota easier or quickly tangibly better.

What amazes me, is that no one political party noticed this before, which would only lead me to believe that they were encouraged not to, because it suited the business aims of a few in Bangkok. Roll on the price increases for commodities, and listen to the traders in Bangkok plead poverty.

Fair enough. Who can blame them for responding to the first party that actually paid attention to them. Personally my hope here is that these are the first ugly steps in the rise of Thailand's middle class, because the whole rich and poor gap never works. The PTP will probably last for quite some time. I just hope they get over Thaksin and puppet/s et al. They need to move on and get a real agenda.

The Democrats went running to Japan and borrowed loads and loads of cash and started spend spend spend.

As they always do.

Last time they got the country in such a bad way TRT and Thaksin had to come to power and bail the country out with good fiscal management, to eliminate the debts.

Nothing different this time, borrow and spend, borrow and spend is all they have done.

They were lucky as Asia has boomed while Europe and the USA suffer and capital has been flowing into Asian countries looking for more returns and less risk, so the damage they have done is largely hidden under a general Asia boom.

Unless Arisaman becomes Culture Minister they should do fine. ;)

Interesting when consdering that Thailand as it develops now needs a second national and large party. PTP is looking here to stay and for the sake of democracy a counter is needed. One critical question is can the democrat party become this or not. Right now that looks unilkely but then again back in the orange revolution days who would have thought Yanokovich would have a few years later taken power with what was felt to be a regional backing.

Having said that the Dems need to move forward and not just rely on PTP falling apart or making mistakes. Right now the Dems are utterly inept at modern Thai political campaigns. Their campaign managers and PR people (if theyhave any) need to be fired pronto and the whole party machine put under a new younger more savvy bunch of hands, and that is just for the style stuff.

I think it is up to the people to create a more direct democracy on important matters. Other countries need that too and very badly, especially in the West.

I can see red flashing lights instead of hand and foot clappers. Whenever the servents step out of their duty or become self serving, a sea of red flashing lights will mark it and force a change.

This may work very well against corruption.

Interesting when consdering that Thailand as it develops now needs a second national and large party. PTP is looking here to stay and for the sake of democracy a counter is needed. One critical question is can the democrat party become this or not. Right now that looks unilkely but then again back in the orange revolution days who would have thought Yanokovich would have a few years later taken power with what was felt to be a regional backing.

Having said that the Dems need to move forward and not just rely on PTP falling apart or making mistakes. Right now the Dems are utterly inept at modern Thai political campaigns. Their campaign managers and PR people (if theyhave any) need to be fired pronto and the whole party machine put under a new younger more savvy bunch of hands, and that is just for the style stuff.

I think it is up to the people to create a more direct democracy on important matters. Other countries need that too and very badly, especially in the West.

I can see red flashing lights instead of hand and foot clappers. Whenever the servents step out of their duty or become self serving, a sea of red flashing lights will mark it and force a change.

This may work very well against corruption.

There is a gaping hole waiting for another "clean" party to stand on a national platform. Where would you find 500 honest, clean people willing to get involved in Thai politics? The Dems are really a washed up mess of a party. They hung Abhisit out to dry and had no idea how to counter PTP. Ironically, the best man they could ever have employed to run their campaign, was probably Sondhi Limtongkul. He would never have allowed Yingluck such an easy ride.

Undoubtedly, he did the best he could with a pigs ear of a coalition.

I reckon there is room for him and Korn to go off and make their own party.

He is still relatively young so he could do so in the future. It would be good to see him head a party in which there were only highly competent people who were clean of corruption.

Maybe his name is too tarnished by Rajprasong.

More accurately, tarnished by UDD's propaganda of the events at Ratchaprasong. He has been called a murderer, so the question is whether the naive simple folk actually truly believe such propaganda.

Good luck to Abhisit.

He was never PM material - he tried so many times and it took the Army to slot him in place.

I don't think he was a "bad" man - I think he had some integrity....but sadly he had neither the vision, leadership or following to do what needed to be done.

like so many in the Democrat Alliance and the Army he seemed to think that his background, breeding or position in society gave him the right to rule.

well now he knows - you need an electorate to vote for you to be PM and the Thai people have spoken.

PS - it may turn out that the rank and file of the electorate have been misled by the Pheu Thai party - that only time will tell, but Abhisit did nothing to put forward an alternative to those people - seemingly hoping that his "hi-so" powe-base was enough to keep him in power. Next time maybe they will come up with a man with a plan?

Spoken like a true wise-axx. Please explain to me that Yingluck was a TRUE PM material? Hiding all this time but finally discovered with all the innate characteristics to be PM?

She has NOT served a single day as a public servant and is now a PM??? Which country can allow this without manipulating the uneducated masses?

Abhisit simply got outmaneuvered by manipulation. To many (with more educated background), we all know which one of the two would make a better PM or a more of a PM material!

Pretty speaker especially in English - and I liked him because I don't speak enough Thai. But I'm not Thai - I'm a guest in this lovely country and the PEOPLE have spoken. So I must support an earlier member - Good Riddance.

If, like someone argued above - he was a real statesman and an honourable man - he should have called an election earlier and the Reds could have won it - (like they have done now) Instead of being stubbon and intrangient - which in the end resulted bloodshed and extra judical killings which have made this great country look like a banana republic. Without that we would already be well on the way to full reconcilliation and development. The troubles could have been avoided - people were angry because their vote for the Government of their choice was subverted - by court rulings (banning a guy who appered on a cooking program - really) and allies crossing the floor to join a group of people who occupied an International airport and got away scot free. I can tell you that little incident moved more airlines to hubs in Malayasia and Singapore than the occupation of a down town junction.

So bye bye Abhesit - I don't think there are going to be too many folk crying about your departure - remember you only really deserve what you WIN not what you grab or steal.

Just thought about that last comment - There are some folk crying for you but unfortunately they all seem to be expats on a very right wing site - who don't count politically because they don't have a vote - they like me should just be glad to be living here and be prepared to accept that the majority of the electorate have spoken and that they are sensible and reasonable citizens - and that they voted Red because they want someone they appreciate to come home.

2 threads with the same garbage. Please read the other and be a little better informed.

Agree. SIck of people not knowing enough facts and make rubbish opinion.

As they always do.

Unless Arisaman becomes Culture Minister they should do fine. ;)

Oh, I get it. Levelhead. Taksinomics 101 - "Bail the country out with good fiscal management,..." means to rob the country and run! Run, Taksin run!

We all know it's your way of abbreviating sentence. What you really meant to say is:

bail your ass while rob the country out with good fiscal management..right?? I stand corrected.

Edited by huanga

Well obviously there's no education test in order to vote, only a requirement of citizenship. This hasn't added to the debate at all. I feel dumber.

giggle.gif

But I think you asked a very excellent question

Fair enough. Who can blame them for responding to the first party that actually paid attention to them. Personally my hope here is that these are the first ugly steps in the rise of Thailand's middle class, because the whole rich and poor gap never works. The PTP will probably last for quite some time. I just hope they get over Thaksin and puppet/s et al. They need to move on and get a real agenda.

Completely agree with Dumfarang and Thai at Heart!

To see a better and a "more" equal society, they need a Real Political Party to "hear" them and improve their situations. But this "Real Party" has better sever its ties with their puppet master to clear any doubts on any hidden agenda. A lot of manipulation has been going on here, especially with the under-informed masses (and that's how they can be manipulated"). So to really improve, I am all for sound education policy that can arm the people with a sound mind for right judgement.

Hopefully, this "Real Party" is up to the task!

Umm, have you seen the results in Bangkok? The PTP did rather well. How do you explain that? Aside from Lumpini park, one is hard pressed to find anything remotely green in that concrete jungle. Not disagreeing with you or your point, just pointing out that the urban dwellers also turned on the Democrats.

Edited by geriatrickid

I hope that he reconsiders and re-nominates. Sooner or later, (probably sooner) there is going to be a mighty crash here, and the country will need a good leader.

His major problem is the false accusations of responsibility for the deaths in BKK, accusations that will be hard to shake. Anybody who believes they are true, please let us know what you would have done in his place - after all, the one and only demand was for elections which he agreed to BEFORE any major bloodshed occurred.

I would also lie to hear from those claiming that Thaksin was falsely accused. Please point out where the indictment was wrong.

With a large voting bloc of poor and uneducated people, poor because they are working in an industry unviable in its present state, who are prepared to vote for a party willing to prop up that industry with increasingly outrageous promises, a crash is inevitable. Those advocating responsible govt and refusing to pander to the masses desire will not get into power. And when the crash comes, it is the poorest who will be hurt the most. This may get very very ugly.

A free handout is much easier than..."everything else"! But you are right, too many of these "free" handout will... Are they really "free"? Tic, toc, tic, toc. I think I see a crash coming and who is going to pay for it or be affected most by it???

Study the history of others then you will know...

Edited by huanga

Good riddance, and don't let the door slap you on the a_ss on the way out :ph34r:

Typically neanderthalian comment. That would have been mildly amusing if I hadn't heard it like a million times. What else did you learn on TV?

Truth is, Thailand is not ready for such a person to lead the country - integrity, erudite, honest and basically streets ahead of anything home-grown. Someone else said they'll get what they deserve. I hope not and hope Thailand can move on, but if it does go down, it's twisted, brainwashed thinking like yours that'll sink it. One good thing in all this is there is hope the new kids on the block will seriously tighten up immigration and bar certain types from entering... you know, neanderthals.

Good on ya Mark, get away and enjoy yourself. ;)

All the good honest people in Thailand get rejected. its just the dumb way it has always been. :blink:

"Honesty and integrity have no sexappeal"

Pushing Against the Outer Limits

Thailand July 3, 2011 election charade is a reminder of the US election charade of a power crazed American family, the Kennedys.

When JFK was campaigning his wife Jackie came up with the brilliant idea of having her younger sister Lee who was married to Polish ex-Prince Radziwell living with British political exile status in England come over to the US to campaign for JFK among the Polish speaking/ancestor people living in the US. And so they did. But when the British Government found out what they were up to they were immediately and in no uncertain terms informed to return back to England or loose their British political exile status and become persona non grata in Britain. Being people of reasonable mind they immediately returned to England. Of course only the in-and-out of the US by the Radziwells had its effect among the Polish speaking/ancestor people in the US and their voting for JFK in addition to the catholic vote for JFK putting him and Jackie in the Whitehouse.

Fast forward.

Thaksin also lived in England with British political exile status. After being warned on the QT by the British Government one-or-two times not to meddle in Thailand’s political environment which warning(s), being Thaksin, he threw to the wind. Nobody tells Thaksin anything, Thaksin does as he wants like he has done all his life. The Brits knowing Thaksin from the days of Thailand PM knew his irrational attitude and behavior, didn’t bother as they did in the Radziwell case, and immediately withdrew Thaksin’s British political exile status, and at the same time told him to divest himself from all the holdings in Manchester United Football club because it was not good for young British sports enthusiast to see a fugitive from Justice being the owner of a British sporting establishment. And so his fugitive Vagabond existence began from one country to the next with different nationality passports and avoiding the ones who like Britain had the decency not to allow his Bombardier Jet landing rights, let alone for Thaksin to remain in their country.

Thaksin being Thaksin first tried to con his older sister in being his clone, but she indicated she has no stomach for Thai politics, thanks, but no thanks. Having been able all her forty odd years to manipulate his much younger sister he shoved her in to being his clone. Thai media being what it is immediately jumped on the bandwagon of her photogenic posture and all the associated rubbish of the JFK campaign days and the women of Thailand became ecstatic and did fall for it, the same as the women did in the US with JFK. And in the case of Thaksin not only Thai women did fall for it, Thailand being the sex capital of the world, also Thai men dribbled in their jocks over her, resulting in lots of these people to talk democrat and vote fascist.

Well, people around the world knows were JFK landed up, and closer to Thailand more recent, were Benazir Bhutto - another power crazed family - landed up. There are more like them back in history, no need to dredge up the klongs any more than necessary because Thailand has arrived at: The Beginning of the End or The End of the Beginning, in LOS it is always difficult to tell which. LOL with all the Credit Cards PTP which really should be named TRT-3 is going to hand out to farmers, taxi drivers and all the others hanging around with their hands out and the PTP government picking up the tab. Like the farang in the village by Korat said, “My Thai wife receive 300-Baht to vote for PTP and so did each one of her 7-family members, including everyone else in the village”. Thais don’t have to feel like the Lone Ranger because politics/voting worldwide has become nothing but a capitalist game the capitalists play with the simple minded in their country.

Correction: Manchester United have never been owned by the infamous Khun_T. He was blue-shirt at the time.

This might come as a surprise to all the people in his constituency that voted for him! Look, if you don't like the system of parliamentary democracy, what do you suggest?

It would come as a surprise to know that Mr Abhisit was elected in a constituency.

Good riddance, and don't let the door slap you on the a_ss on the way out :ph34r:

Typically neanderthalian comment. That would have been mildly amusing if I hadn't heard it like a million times. What else did you learn on TV?

Truth is, Thailand is not ready for such a person to lead the country - integrity, erudite, honest and basically streets ahead of anything home-grown. Someone else said they'll get what they deserve. I hope not and hope Thailand can move on, but if it does go down, it's twisted, brainwashed thinking like yours that'll sink it. One good thing in all this is there is hope the new kids on the block will seriously tighten up immigration and bar certain types from entering... you know, neanderthals.

Good on ya Mark, get away and enjoy yourself. ;)

thailands got what it deserves and hope the country moves on,and i belive mark did the best he could with all the shit .he has not got one bad bone in his body and most of you guys deep down know it.

he,s gone now spend some time with his family and enjoy yourself.

Right on cue

Thai rice exporters warn of rising prices after polls

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/07/04/national/Thai-rice-exporters-warn-of-rising-prices-after-po-30159440.html

Edited by Thai at Heart

[With a large voting bloc of poor and uneducated people, poor because they are working in an industry unviable in its present state, who are prepared to vote for a party willing to prop up that industry with increasingly outrageous promises, a crash is inevitable. Those advocating responsible govt and refusing to pander to the masses desire will not get into power. And when the crash comes, it is the poorest who will be hurt the most. This may get very very ugly.

OzMick, get over it, you are like a broken record trying to get an answer for things that have been hashed out here for months. The Democrats lost, get over it. :blink:

you miss of all points on the posts and all the threads ive seen your bias childish comments,get a life.we all know whos won,and whos incharge now you move on and hope thailand does too,dont be so full of hate.

no good for you or anyone.enjoy yourself ozmade

Edited by myfriendu