Bts Smart Pass With Hundreds Of Credit

I travel on the BTS at least 2 times per day

I see many times when going through the electronic gates the person in front of me has BTS Smart Pass with hundreds of credit on it..

How do they do this?

I have a BTS Smart Pass but I am only able to top up 45 trips per time @ 900 THB

And If I top up more before the previous 45 trips are used up It will not show up on the card until the Older credit has been used.

So anyone know how people get so much credit on the cards?

and if so is there any benefit to doing this?

eg: less than 20 THB per trip?

and How can I go about doing this?

BTS have a massive array of different passes available, anyone who can actually work out is best for them deserve free travel.

Get the Smart Purse or Stored Value card (not sure of it's actual name) which stores value rather than trips.

The trip card is better if you make the same journey regularly mind.

You can buy:

1.) Stored value card, you add money to these, up to 2,000 baht, and then the variable fee for your journey gets deducted. I assume the pax in front of the OP has a stored-value card and it is displaying the remaining balance, for example: 319 (Baht).

2.) 30-day Trip card. Here you pay a fixed amount for a fixed number of journeys (or trips or segments). When you exit your remaining trip balance is reduced by one. The least expensive per trip plans are 20 baht/trip. (Student passes may offer lower per trip costs.)

If you have a handle on your 30-day travel patterns it is fairly straight-forward to pick the best option.

Thanks for the Info guys.

Sounds like Stored value card is what I am seeing.

So with the Stored value card there is no benefit to using this outer than not having to ensure you have coins for the ticket Vendors?

So the 30-day Trip card with 45 Trips @ 900THB is the best option for daily commuting on the BTS correct?

Stored value card there is no benefit to using this outer than not having to ensure you have coins for the ticket Vendors?

Right, but it also means that you don't have to queue at the ticket machine / window, but move right on through the gate. They are also useful if you aren't making the same trip every time- wasting an expensive credit that is valid for several stops one a one-stop trip.

Jeez, no discount on the stored value card for each trip basically just a convenience thing? Bit harsh.

How long is the credit valid, I mean can you leave it 3 months, 4 months and then use it again? Is it too good to be true that it applies to the subway as well? Bangkok really needs the 'Oyster Card' type system of London and that so many other cities have, link all the transport, skytrain, subway, buses

Edited by Razzler1973

Jeez, no discount on the stored value card for each trip basically just a convenience thing? Bit harsh.

How long is the credit valid, I mean can you leave it 3 months, 4 months and then use it again? Is it too good to be true that it applies to the subway as well? Bangkok really needs the 'Oyster Card' type system of London and that so many other cities have, link all the transport, skytrain, subway, buses

I agree

but it will never happen..

BTS, MRT, and the Rail link are all run by Independent companeys that will not work together.

You only need to look at the moronic Airport link at Makkasan SARL terminal where you have to walk 300 + m across a level train rail crossing through 2 sets of traffic lights and no footpath or cover from rain to get from the rail link to Petchburi MRT station all while toting your suitcase no wonder people still prefer the Taxis you pay a small amount more to get door to door by Taxi...

I mean <deleted>...

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/visit/transporation-faceoff-362693

Edited by dutchweller

Yes its basically a convenience thing. But if you are lining up to use the machine during busy times at busy stations -- saves you time and getting the right amount.

Totally worth it if your staying here longer than a vacation.

It says on the back...

-This pass is valid for 5 years from date of first use for travel

-Stored value is valid for 2 years from date of issue, or last refill, or when used for travel, after which any remaining value cannot be refunded or exchanged.. blah blah..

I'm wonder what happens when I hit 4 years & 9 months, and do a reload -- do I get 3 months & lose the rest, or +2 years ? :)

I don't need the answer, I'll ask at ticket window when the time comes :)

By the way, I think MRT card is about the same. Valid for 2 years. Its also worth it in my opinion. I only use it maybe once/month, but sometimes at Asok I have seen long lines to the ticket machines and also ticket windows. Like from machine to bottom of stairs if you know Asok/Sukhumvit, which is atleast a 15min wait.

So if your a falang here for anything more than a vacation in BKK, grab the BTS+MRT Refillable stored value cards in my opinion :)

I even have 1 spare BTS+MRT card incase a mate tags along, and dont want him/her slowing me down.

Happy riding :)

Edited by matador007

It says on the back...

-This pass is valid for 5 years from date of first use for travel

-Stored value is valid for 2 years from date of issue, or last refill, or when used for travel, after which any remaining value cannot be refunded or exchanged.. blah blah..

I'm wonder what happens when I hit 4 years & 9 months, and do a reload -- do I get 3 months & lose the rest, or +2 years ? :)

I don't need the answer, I'll ask at ticket window when the time comes :)

I would say the clock restarts when you top up.

I agree

but it will never happen..

BTS, MRT, and the Rail link are all run by Independent companeys that will not work together.

You only need to look at the moronic Airport link at Makkasan SARL terminal where you have to walk 300 + m across a level train rail crossing through 2 sets of traffic lights and no footpath or cover from rain to get from the rail link to Petchburi MRT station all while toting your suitcase no wonder people still prefer the Taxis you pay a small amount more to get door to door by Taxi...

I mean <deleted>...

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/visit/transporation-faceoff-362693

there are moves in progress to provide an integrated card (for BTS Skytrain, MRT Subway and BRT Bus and eventually retail, etc.) through the Bangkok Smartcard

I think this would be similar to the Easycard in Taipei, the ezLink card in Singapore, the Tmoney card in Seoul and the Octopus card in Hong Kong.....

http://www.bss.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=531%3Abss-announced-as-a-member-of-bts-group&catid=55%3Apress-release&Itemid=75〈=en