Coffee Lover Having To Live With Instant

Firefan

I love REAL brewed coffee - and have before been grinding my own beans Etc. but I am however often in situations where my only choice will be instant coffee... :o

So which is the least evil? The Nescafe Gold brand is resonable I think. Any other "less-evil" ones out there I should check?

Cheers!

Just use any kind of good ground coffee. Put a tea spoon or two of coffee grounds in a cup of hot water, give it a good stir with the spoon and leave it for a minute and the grounds will settle on the bottom of the cup.

Some ground coffee works better than others but the taste is always superior to that instant crap.

ZZZ interesting suggesting - worth a shot. :o

Jrincon; trying to keep myself at one cup of starbucks a day! But often do not have the chance to go there.

Tip in that connection; True (our beloved internet provider :D ) have 50% on all their coffees in their coffeeshops until end Dec.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not just a coffe love, I'm an ADDICT! I've been working nights the last 3 years and it has only fed my addiction. :D I'm one of those guys that doesnt mind paying for quality (I know I have a problem...but thats the first step right?). Its gotten to the point that I have my friends ship me Jamacan Blue Mountain, whole bean, and grind it myself! Whenever in Thailand I find it impossible to find a decent cup anywhere besides Starbucks. But when I absolutely have no other choice, I will suffer through Folgers Dark Crystals. :o

I drink plain old Nescafe Red Cup. I've been drinking it for several years now so I am used to the taste.

If you want to try different instant coffees, then try buying the small jars from the supermarkets. They don't cost that much. :D

Those small bottles can be quite expensive. Nescafe Gold was 220 baht last month and 238 baht this month in Bangkok but only 190 baht in small supermarket up in Chumphae, Kohn Kaen province. So much for saving at Lotus! They even have anti-theft device on bottle in Lotus. :o

Now that I'm a broke, fixed income retired geezer I find that I'm perfectly happy with the Tesco brand instant.

To brew coffee I use either a simple one-cup French press or the traditional Thai "sock" filter. For that I buy Kaffair Boran which costs 30 baht for 800 grams. A bargain at twice the price.

I'm learning how to adjust my taste to my finances.

There is no such a thing as "good" instant coffee. The correct German term for such witch brew is "Mucke######".

edit: Your automated bad-word-eraser is quite strict...this has nothing to do with that evil English word starting with an "f" with the same spelling.... :o

Edited by raro

There is no such a thing as "good" instant coffee. The correct German term for such witch brew is "Mucke######".

I disagree. Some of it is quite good. Just don't think of it as coffee. Enjoy it as a completely different beverage: hot, brown, caffeinated, good; but definitely not coffee.

Under that aspect, you're right. However, ordering a coffee in a restaurant should result in a coffee and not a completely different beverage... :o

Anyways...Things have gotten far better over the years. Now they just have to learn how to properly adjust those Boncafe machines and everything is fine on the coffee side. I just wonder who tought the Thais to fill up an espresso with hot water and call it "americano"...never been to the US, but is the coffee really that bad over there?

Edited by raro

Hey Buadhai I hope it was not extravagant coffee consumption that lead to you going broke! :o Other beverages involved? :D

Starbucks was advertising their price increases (about 15-20%) last month so a grande coffee there is now close to 100-120 Baht (depending on style chosen). 3 of those a day would be about 11.000 Baht per month or 130.000 Baht per year! The "latte-factor" I think the financial advisors call it.

That Kaffair Boran; where can you buy? Ok?

I am comparing 2 diff. instant coffees these days. No conclusions yet.

Cheers!

Now that I'm a broke, fixed income retired geezer I find that I'm perfectly happy with the Tesco brand instant.

To brew coffee I use either a simple one-cup French press or the traditional Thai "sock" filter. For that I buy Kaffair Boran which costs 30 baht for 800 grams. A bargain at twice the price.

I'm learning how to adjust my taste to my finances.

Under that aspect, you're right. However, ordering a coffee in a restaurant should result in a coffee and not a completely different beverage... :o

I agree. The Thai people used to have a wonderful coffee culture until Nestle stepped in and introduced Nescafe. Now, so many people, and restaurants can't be bothered to brew up a proper cup. I hate that powdered creamer as wel....

Anyways...Things have gotten far better over the years. Now they just have to learn how to properly adjust those Boncafe machines and everything is fine on the coffee side. I just wonder who tought the Thais to fill up an espresso with hot water and call it "americano"...never been to the US, but is the coffee really that bad over there?

It is odd that Italian technology would step in and nearly save the day. I'm always surprised when I go up to a coffe cart, expecting to see the old kaffair tung (sock filter) and see a tiny espresso machine instead. Well, at least it's Coffee.

As for "Americano"; isn't that also an Italian invention designed to appease visiting Americans who couldn't bear to drink something as dark, strong and flavorful as an espresso?

Hey Buadhai I hope it was not extravagant coffee consumption that lead to you going broke!  :D  Other beverages involved?  :D

:o

Starbucks was advertising their price increases (about 15-20%) last month so a grande coffee there is now close to 100-120 Baht (depending on style chosen). 3 of those a day would be about 11.000 Baht per month or 130.000 Baht per year! The "latte-factor" I think the financial advisors call it.

Somewhere I read that Starbucks sells, by volume, quite a bit more milk than coffee....

That Kaffair Boran; where can you buy? Ok?

You can buy it in the small Chinese grocery stores and wholesale shops. The one I have now comes in a brown plastic bag with the brand name "Coffeho" in English. If you can't locate it you might go to someone who makes kaffair boran and ask where they buy their coffee. The grind is very coarse. There is an ad on Thai TV now in which an actor portrays the young PM hand-grinding some beans and making kaffair boran.

I agree. The Thai people used to have a wonderful coffee culture until Nestle stepped in and introduced Nescafe. Now, so many people, and restaurants can't be bothered to brew up a proper cup. I hate that powdered creamer as wel....

It is odd that Italian technology would step in and nearly save the day. I'm always surprised when I go up to a coffe cart, expecting to see the old kaffair tung (sock filter) and see a tiny espresso machine instead. Well, at least it's Coffee.

As for "Americano"; isn't that also an Italian invention designed to appease visiting Americans who couldn't bear to drink something as dark, strong and flavorful as an espresso?

...is that related to their light beer?

another food bastardization in this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49625&hl=

I love REAL brewed coffee - and have before been grinding my own beans Etc. but I am however often in situations where my only choice will be instant coffee...  :o

So which is the least evil? The Nescafe Gold brand is resonable I think. Any other "less-evil" ones out there I should check?

Cheers!

I am a one-cup-a-day, everyday, coffee drinker. The best instant coffee for me is Nescafe Rich Columbian. Available in Canada, probably USA. Costs 50% more than other Nescafe instant coffees. Not available anywhere in Asia, unfortunately.

Being a coffee drinker myself, I can sympathize with you all. Luckily I can still get good coffee because I still live in the U.S. Just because I am a nice guy, if any of you want a special type of coffee from here, I would be willing to send it to you at cost. Let me know. I feel sorry for you guys having to drink that instant sh*t! :o:D

It might have already been mentioned, I didn't read all the posts, but it's pretty easy to cobble together a pour-over (Melitta-like) coffee maker. I use a microwave to heat the water, a paper towel folded in quarters placed in a funnel acts as the filter. I just pour the hot water into the funnel and into a coffee cup. I get really good whole-bean coffee (and have it ground) at Foodland for ~ 250 baht per pound. I use real milk.

I've been looking for a real Melitta pour over maker here without luck. Another item to bring back.

I am on instant and am eager to make the switch back to real coffee again. After reading up, it seems a French Press is a pretty cool way to go. It needs no electricity, no filters, and preserves the flavor better than standard coffee makers. Anyone have experiences and can they be found in Thailand?

I saw some around - but recall they were no-brand and my experience previously is that the filter sucks so too much coffee filters through.

The Bodum brand I had before worked great.

Maybe they have at Starbucks? (at double the price...)

If not I might pick one up on my next trip.

Cheers!

I am on instant and am eager to make the switch back to real coffee again. After reading up, it seems a French Press is a pretty cool way to go. It needs no electricity, no filters, and preserves the flavor better than standard coffee makers. Anyone have experiences and can they be found in Thailand?

I've been looking for a decent french-press coffee maker here for a while. I almost hate to say it, but Starbucks has the best selection of French Press-type coffee makers I've found to date. They are a bit pricey. Robinsons has some knock-offs but they are very flimsy. Make sure you get one that allows you to disassemble the screen and its holder as this makes it easy to clean. Look for thick glass, and remember to pre-heat the container with a bit of hot, but not brewing temperature water. A french press does still allow a fair bit of sediment, and associated bitterness, into the 'filtered' coffee.

Cleaning a french press coffee maker is a bit of a pain if you don't have a garbage disposal. It is very difficult to avoid sending a lot of coffee grounds down the drain, hence I prefer the pour-over with filter.

Bodum Melior is the standard.

I ended up getting a Melitta Ready, Set, Joe and a lot of filters.

Edited by lomatopo