Coffee Lover Having To Live With Instant

Firefan

Based on the links provided (thank you by the way) I see Verasu sells the lower quality press (Bodum Chambord) in Thailand at a price higher than buying the best model (Bodum Melior) outside Thailand!!! This drives me crazy not because I can't afford it but because I want a good product at a good price, neither of which I can get here. Guess I'll have to wait for my next trip to farangland and drop one in the suitcase on the way back.

Based on the links provided (thank you by the way) I see Verasu sells the lower quality press (Bodum Chambord) in Thailand at a price higher than buying the best model (Bodum Melior) outside Thailand!!! This drives me crazy not because I can't afford it but because I want a good product at a good price, neither of which I can get here. Guess I'll have to wait for my next trip to farangland and drop one in the suitcase on the way back.

These are imported from the EU so we may be suffering as a result of the THB-EUR-USD relationship?

FWIW I used that Chambord model for years, the difference in quality with the Melior model is indistinguishable in the resulting cup of coffee.

About 20 or so years ago villagers up north were encourgaed to plant coffee plants (Arabica) and many still harvest those plants. Ask around regarding the month the beans are harvested and then go touring. If you see a bunch of red beans in a bucket of water you have found your target. You can easily offer the grower more than what they will get in the market for the beans. Take the beans home and store appropriately. You can do a quick roast over a wok, crush a small fistful of roasted beans in a mortar, and then use in a drip machine or simply pour hot water over the crushed beans held in a filter.

Beware, making coffee out of truly fresh roast beans may cause you to stop drinking Starbucks swill as Starbucks and Nescafe may be placed into the same category.

Raro,

For your information, "Mucke######" actually refers in German to chicory coffee substitute, which the Napoleonic army called "mocca faux." The local German-speaking citizens couldn't get their tongues around that, so they came up with "Mucke######," which came to be used for all kinds of coffee substitutes, but not real "Bohnenkaffee." In German it's not a nasty word at all. The company supplying coffee machines where I work calls itself that, and has it printed in big letters on its trucks.

There is no such a thing as "good" instant coffee. The correct German term for such witch brew is "Mucke######".

edit: Your automated bad-word-eraser is quite strict...this has nothing to do with that evil English word starting with an "f" with the same spelling.... :o

I purchased my medium sized Bodum at an outlet center in the states about 3 years ago for around $20, so the price on the website from SBK don't look too bad. Like one guy said though, it's difficult to clean, so I end up using my philips coffeemaker.

For me, no matter what they do to make an instant coffee it will never come close to grinding the beans and making fresh coffee. In a pinch Taster's choice is OK, but it has to be the imported one.

Thai coffee is ok for iced coffee, but is not pure as it has grains in it such as corn that I just don't like in a hot cup of coffee. I remember 20 + years ago when first coming to thailand and ordering a cup a coffee. You'd get a cup with this thick liquid and a bunch of sweetened condensed milk in the bottom. Didn't like my coffee sweet to begin with and this just did not cut it.

I thought I had found a pretty good coffee here that was not too expenisve and still tasted pretty good, until my friends visited me from the states and brought me a bag of 100% Columbia Supremo coffee beans. Just the smell from grinding them was wonderful.....and the smell while brewing, beyond compare........then the drinking the first cup.............exquisite!!! Even the freshly roasted beans I've gotten right from the Doi Tung roaster does not compare.

My friends have already got a plan to send more with another friend, but once that's gone..................... :o Good thing I'm only a one cupper.

Beachbunny

• 4 weeks later...

I've not had trouble getting decent coffee in Thailand. Certainly, the standard of the coffee I've had at most restaurants has been better than the over-sweetened and flavoured crud you get at Starbucks and the like.

No one has ever tried to give me instant coffee at a restaurant... although I have heard that some Thai restaurant owners believe that farang *prefer* instant coffee?

I can't see how anyone can complain about getting decent coffee in Thailand. True in restaurants it's a problem, but just wait and go to a coffee shop - there are heaps of them by the way.

Or go to any supermarket - they always have at least one stall in the foodcourt making fresh coffee. Or you could try Black Canyon?

I just can't see how hard it is to get coffee here?

Do you think it's possible to buy colombian or other south american coffee in Carrefour or Big C to make it oneself at home ?

The whole bean coffee that I buy is labelled "Thai Arabica" and "Thai Robusta" and is roasted in Thailand as well. I think it sells for ~ 660 THB/Kilo. It is very good.

I imagine you can buy imported beans that have been roasted here, and coffee that has been roasted off-shore, but I admit I haven't looked too closely for those items.

As an aside, I worked for a small start-up company in the U.S. and I was one of the first 20 employees. We had our offices in an old mill (water-powered textile) building and there were all sorts of other little companies there as well. One was a small coffee roaster. We got all our coffee from him, and I'd buy a lot for myself and as gifts for friends. He had a giant roasting machine, well over 2 meters tall, that was pretty interesting. He had large bags of green beans from different parts of Central and South America, which he imported. Then he roasted different beans according to certain roasting recipes. I'm hard-pressed to tell the difference between the whole beans I buy here and those which I enjoyed from this small roaster in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...

The questins is: Would you prefer Folgers fresh brewed coffee in the USA or can you get by with Nescafe Red Cup instant here? I have gotten used to the Nescafe Red Cup here and I like it just fine Everything is relative.

I bought the "on top of cup" coffee drip holder from Suzuki Coffee (50 baht) together with their blue coffee(special blend 250 gr) - that is the same one used on Thai Air. It even came with 10 free filters for 120 Baht. Having my first cup now and really like it. I always liked Thai Airways coffee - but now know it was not just only because of the cute air hostesses :o.... Their seats in business class (old planes) suck though but guess that is for another thread! :D

Cheers!

Do you think it's possible to buy colombian or other south american coffee in Carrefour or Big C to make it oneself at home ?

The whole bean coffee that I buy is labelled "Thai Arabica" and "Thai Robusta" and is roasted in Thailand as well. I think it sells for ~ 660 THB/Kilo. It is very good.

I imagine you can buy imported beans that have been roasted here, and coffee that has been roasted off-shore, but I admit I haven't looked too closely for those items.

As an aside, I worked for a small start-up company in the U.S. and I was one of the first 20 employees. We had our offices in an old mill (water-powered textile) building and there were all sorts of other little companies there as well. One was a small coffee roaster. We got all our coffee from him, and I'd buy a lot for myself and as gifts for friends. He had a giant roasting machine, well over 2 meters tall, that was pretty interesting. He had large bags of green beans from different parts of Central and South America, which he imported. Then he roasted different beans according to certain roasting recipes. I'm hard-pressed to tell the difference between the whole beans I buy here and those which I enjoyed from this small roaster in the U.S.

Strictly speaking, the coffee you get here should be fresher than anything available in the US, since it's grown here. The shop I buy my beans from in Chiang Mai (Libernard) gets a fresh delivery of selected green coffee beans every week, and roasts them two to three times weekly.

• 11 months later...

Instant coffee is pure concentrated evil.It funds terrorism and causes global warming.

All fatal accidents at NASA were the result of astronauts consuming instant coffee

There is compelling evidence that the Khmer Rhouge atrocities were fueled by instant coffee

Hitler drank instant coffee.

But Seriously: If you have hot water for brown,vile, instant, coffee flavoured swill, why not use a coffee press?

-texpat

Edited by texpatriate

I love REAL brewed coffee - and have before been grinding my own beans Etc. but I am however often in situations where my only choice will be instant coffee... :o

So which is the least evil? The Nescafe Gold brand is resonable I think. Any other "less-evil" ones out there I should check?

Cheers!

I think the Davidoff instant is the best I have come across here.

I'm ok with the VIP brand ground coffee from BigC and Tesco. I have used it in a gold-filter cup drip, a french press, and a little stove-top espresso maker. Ok results so far.

But what I really want to know is how to make coffee that has that ethereal thin film of mist (and oils) that dances on the surface of the coffee. I love the way it shifts and rises in vaporous shreds from the black surface and the way it catches the morning light. Aahhhhhh! And the aromas....

Any coffee maestro here? Can you explain how I can achieve that in my kitchen? Do I have to buy a commercial brewer? Or is it the freshness of the beans?

I bought the "on top of cup" coffee drip holder from Suzuki Coffee (50 baht) together with their blue coffee(special blend 250 gr) - that is the same one used on Thai Air. It even came with 10 free filters for 120 Baht.
I use the same recipe and find it much more satisfying than the instant products.

Drank "RedCup" for a bit and developed an instant mocha formula, One packet of RedCup and one packet of Milo 3-in-1. Not too bad.

The Suzuki brand is okay but I think fresh roast and ground is far superior to pre-ground beans.

You know all those reports of coffee's positive health benefits can only be achieved with paper filtered, (not espresso or French-press) drip method, brewed coffee and instant is actually not healthy for you. Doesn't have any of those fresh, volatile aromatic oils.

But what I really want to know is how to make coffee that has that ethereal thin film of mist (and oils) that dances on the surface of the coffee.

Don't store your whole beans in the freezer, use quality water (often overlooked), after boiling the water use immediately to pour over freshly ground beans, grind immediately prior to brewing, use ample grounds per cup (don't skimp on grounds), use Arabica and not Robusta beans and use a darker espresso-style roast instaed of a mild, light roast.

At least these points will get you closer to the mark.

If the beans are good and the brewing perpared properly the beverage needs no adulteration from milk or cream (IMHO).

I love REAL brewed coffee - and have before been grinding my own beans Etc. but I am however often in situations where my only choice will be instant coffee... :o

So which is the least evil? The Nescafe Gold brand is resonable I think. Any other "less-evil" ones out there I should check?

Cheers!

Try Nescafe Turbo , it almost tastes like coffee.

I add a bit of fresh milk to it .