Broad Band Internet Or Satellite

ArNaSu

Can anyone help me with info in regards to internet connections. Is it correct that i need a landline phone connection at my house in order to get broadband. I have had this connection at previous houses I've stayed at in Pattaya but have gotten frustrated with the phone companies in the past cutting my line etc. I presently use one of those aircards which is ok for normal internet surfing etc but no good for any type of downloading.

Anyone know about options of satellite high speed connections ? I have heard of some places offering this and have also heard of I think Sophon offering some kind of service.

I'm moving into a new house shortly and would like to set it up now before moving in. My preference is for prepaid type setups, conveniance and lack of hassle is worth paying extra for me. Since I'm away a lot monthly bills don't work well for me.

Cheers

Forget about satellite internet, it's slow, unreliable and expensive.

TOT has a new product called Wi-net you might want to check out if you can't get a phone line. I don't see any info about it on TOT's website but it's based on Air Max from Ubiquity. One of my friends just had it installed and is so far very happy with it. 3,500 baht for 30 MB down 1 MB up. I'd imagine TOT on Pattaya Klang would be able to tell you more about it.

AFAIK every fast internet solution is monthly bill. Only way to avoid it is probably your aircard.

TOT has a new product called Wi-net you might want to check out if you can't get a phone line. ..... 3,500 baht for 30 MB down 1 MB up.

Presumably that is a type of WiMAX

Is that price per month? Seems a bit steep. Is it data-capped with some sort of FUP?

Sophon do a good broadband service through your TV cable into your house.

If you are in the right part of town this can be a very reasonable service.

It can be turned on the same day (if you already have Sophon cable TV)

Yearly cost from about 5,500B for 2Mbps. (Can be paid in advance.)

No extra cabling.

I think the other cable suppliers do something similar but I dont know about the details as they dont cover my area.

Edited by Darrel

I changed to Sophon 2 months ago and it's much better and cheaper than my previous ISP. Not perfect by any means, speeds during the day can be a bit slow, but all in all I am quite happy with it. I took the 4 Mbps package which costs 690 Baht/month and you get a free modem if you sign up for 6 months or more. Installation costs 1500 Baht, which is reduced to 750 Baht if you sign up for 1 year.

There are many alternatives if you live in the city or really close by. For the longest

time (9years) I have lived on the "dark side" without any phone company (ADSL)

availability and no WImax, etc. I had 3 options: 1) AirCard (Hutch was very unreliable

and very expensive); 2) Satellite (also unreliable, slow and expensive); 3) leased line.

I ended up choosing lease line (frame relay). The line was provided by UNH, data

service by Internet East. In the 8 years I had that setup the line went down twice.

Once some truck on sukhumvit hit the pole where the wires run from, second time

a fire in the UNH distribution center in SriRacha. Anyway, the service was rock solid,

REAL professional installation. BUT, it was very expensive, 12K baht per months

for 512Kbps (symmetrical).

Since the beginning if this year, I have TOT ADSL line, but still use Internet east

as data provider. The guarantee the bandwidth at any time of the day ...

If you need more info on frame-relay and or leased lines, PM me ...

Cheers,

rudi

All the cable providers are decent. Don't bother with the other options. I have had them all. Be sure you understand the difference between local and international bandwidth. Several providers will sell you local band width in big numbers and that may not meet your needs. 3bb offers international bandwidth in its premium service.

Thanks to the replies

Just so I've got this right. When you say cable suppliers, you are talking about sophon cable tv and being able to get internet through the tv cable. When you say broadband we are talking about through a phone line is this correct ?

If I've got this much right then who are some of the other cable suppliers ?

It does sound like the best option for me, pay 6,12 months in advance etc. I'm in Pratumnak hill but I've a sneaky idea that Sophon haven't run cables down my soi yet.

All the cable providers are decent. Don't bother with the other options. I have had them all. Be sure you understand the difference between local and international bandwidth. Several providers will sell you local band width in big numbers and that may not meet your needs. 3bb offers international bandwidth in its premium service.

I had 3BB Premier for years until I switched to "standard" a couple of months ago. I only ever use international websites and servers and I haven't noticed any degradation of the speed. On the contrary, I now get 9M for 900 baht/month instead of 3M for 1250 baht/month.