Lifespan Of Helmet In Los

i have an ARAI helmet that is almost 15 years old , never crashed and still looks very good, also on the inside. This helmet feels so comfortable that i am reluctant to replace it, but should i do so after 15 years?

15 years? Wow. Mine usually last 6 months before everything is rusted, the lining is packed out, and it irreversibly smells bad.

Stop sleeping and swimming with it on. Don't you know nothin' :lol:

You can get any helmet refurbished, inside and out. After a couple of years my lining was filthy and falling apart in my full face index helmet. gave it to my MC taxi friend he made a call and someone picked it up, two days later a beautifully lined and sparkling black helmet was delivered..300 baht.

All the MC taxi guys know where to have this done.

-O

You can get any helmet refurbished, inside and out. After a couple of years my lining was filthy and falling apart in my full face index helmet. gave it to my MC taxi friend he made a call and someone picked it up, two days later a beautifully lined and sparkling black helmet was delivered..300 baht.

-O

I am happy with the helmet the way it is now, no need to refurfish.

i was just thinking about the structural integrity

-O

Begging your pardon but the OP is asking about a proper certified crash helmet, not a crappy Index brain bucket... :rolleyes:

The Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years is the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet.

Why?

Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll.

Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc.

At about the five-year mark, helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration, which should serve as an alert to its overall condition.

The helmet's fit may begin to feel a little "loose", not as snug as it once did.

This unseen aging and deterioration of the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet's ability to perform in an impact as it was originally designed.

If a helmet suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for competent inspection or discarded and replaced.

The semi crappy 'Real' brand of helmets have a removable lining that you can wash in the limited edition model. Just bought one for 2200 baht. At 170 kph it doesn't shift around if you look around. Haven't tested it the rain yet though, so don't know if it fogs up.

The semi crappy 'Real' brand of helmets have a removable lining that you can wash in the limited edition model. Just bought one for 2200 baht. At 170 kph it doesn't shift around if you look around. Haven't tested it the rain yet though, so don't know if it fogs up.

At least most of the REAL brand helmets are DOT and ECE certified.

A helmet in constant use is what most companies look at. So 5 years from Arai for a helmet that has been taken care of but still subject to what Tony has mentioned on hair products, cleaners etc effecting the Styrofoam impact layer and the impact UV light has on the helmet shell over time. I am not sure if the more modern helmets and associated cosmetic paint work are using using UV resistant plastics & chemicals, but I hope so.

Some history on some of my helmets.

1. I bought a helmet brand new at the IOMTT in 2007, never started using it until 2010. Always kept in its bag, with bug deterrents, in its box, out of the light. I probably use it two months of the year when I'm home and in total probably 30 days of riding at most. I won't be changing this helmet anytime soon eg: at the 2-3 or 5 year mark.

2. I had helmets in the Middle East which I used at least 2-3 times are week, tend to still look okay with care, but start showing wear & tear internally from linings compressing and not springing back into shape, to sweat making a mess of the liner and wetting the impact layer repeatedly with semi-oily, slightly acidic sweat. My trying to keep it clean with mild cleaning products, semi-prolonged the life but not that much. Though I did keep the shells in pristine condition with finish waxes etc. In short, this type of use gets me a maximum of 2 years from a helmet and then it's officially retired.

So in reality, its all down to how much you use it, how bad the conditions are that you ride in and how much you care for it. My honest opinion, a full time use helmet, 2 years max, intermittent use but taken good care, years.