Best Things About Being Sober

RickThai

Although I have only been sober 3 and 1/2 years, I have discovered that my life has become much more fullfilling now that I don't drink.

Besides being clear-headed and the obvious health benefits, I find I enjoy more things in life and get greater pleasures from even small things.

My wife and I have become closer and we talk more than we ever did when I was drinking. I have developed a deeper relationship with my old friends and make new friends much easier.

I have a re-newed interest in some of my old hobbies, and have new interests popping up all the time.

I am much more spiritual and enjoy conversations with other people of a smiliar nature.

Its almost like I discovered, a new, and better life than I ever had before.

I'm sure that others have also experienced this phenomenon. I welcome your thoughts and experiences on how being sober has improved your life.

With respect to all,

RickThai

A few things that spring to to mind about no longer imbibing in liquid libation: I no longer wake up wondering if I drove home and if I did where my vehicle might be. No recollection of why my knuckles are bruised. No more unplanned tattoos. I don't add 40% whiskey to (sweeten)my morning coffee to quell to the shakes so I can go to work. Not having to borrow my rent money. I no longer receive phone calls from friends telling me not to call them at 2 AM when I am drunk. Not waking up in jail. Not missing work because I am hung-over. Not wondering if I insulted someone the night before.

I am sure if I tired I could add many more. My last drink, blackout episode, party, was December 31 1985 New Years eve. That is a long time ago, consequently my memories of why I stopped are somewhat diminished. Although still vivid enough to feel certain I made the right choice when I stopped.

A few things that spring to to mind about no longer imbibing in liquid libation: I no longer wake up wondering if I drove home and if I did where my vehicle might be. No recollection of why my knuckles are bruised. No more unplanned tattoos. I don't add 40% whiskey to (sweeten)my morning coffee to quell to the shakes so I can go to work. Not having to borrow my rent money. I no longer receive phone calls from friends telling me not to call them at 2 AM when I am drunk. Not waking up in jail. Not missing work because I am hung-over. Not wondering if I insulted someone the night before.

I am sure if I tired I could add many more. My last drink, blackout episode, party, was December 31 1985 New Years eve. That is a long time ago, consequently my memories of why I stopped are somewhat diminished. Although still vivid enough to feel certain I made the right choice when I stopped.

Getting rid of all the old issues is certainly a big improvement. Hopefully, there are some positive new things happening in your life now (besides getting rid of all the old issues).

RickThai

I stopped about the same time as rucus7. I still can recall the end stage days - even some memory flashes during blackouts. Awarenesses pop up at times - to this day.

My prime grace is the freedom from fear. I was busy acting tough, trying to pretend I had no fear. As it turned out, I was paralyzed with fear that I'd never identified.

It was a spiritual thing for me too. That's what caused me to stay sober and live in the solution all these years.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all , Ive been Sober now for just 4 months , but already I would like to write about my benefits ..Compared to some , I didn't have a problem ..HOWEVER , I knew that I had a problem , because the initial thought to stop , made me extremely fearful , as well as the actual addiction withdrawal . I read that the definition of an alcholic was 37 standard drinks her week , well when I found out this I quickly calculated and I think week in ..week out I was around 55 . My first thought ..How can I be in Thailand Sober all the time ? Then I asked myself ..Why did you want to go to Thailand ? For Drink ? , the answer was of course NO .<BR><BR> The first Joy I have is the feeling a freedom ... I never really drove while drinking , So I can drive ..I can go where I like . Planning , late invites to parties , and Its been just wonderful to be able to just drink Narm . My thought process ..I make a statement , I say to myself " I really meant that " ..Im completely Sober , my thoughts , I believe far deeper , my spirituality ..far more intense , My relationships ( all ) , just much easier .. with everyone really ..my nightly 5 k walk ( dont have to talk myself into it ) .<BR><BR> Attitude ..Freedom and Fitness are my keys words .<BR><BR> I know its only been a short time , I know I can easily slip back to the Merrygoround , but as each day passes I grow stronger ... Also I no longer see " Benefits " on the drinking side , I only see problems and a terrible addiction .... I really have enjoyed my journey so far ..Please wish me luck and strength .

• Like 1

Greetings all , Ive been Sober now for just 4 months , but already I would like to write about my benefits ..Compared to some , I didn't have a problem ..HOWEVER , I knew that I had a problem , because the initial thought to stop , made me extremely fearful , as well as the actual addiction withdrawal . I read that the definition of an alcholic was 37 standard drinks her week , well when I found out this I quickly calculated and I think week in ..week out I was around 55 . My first thought ..How can I be in Thailand Sober all the time ? Then I asked myself ..Why did you want to go to Thailand ? For Drink ? , the answer was of course NO .<BR><BR> The first Joy I have is the feeling a freedom ... I never really drove while drinking , So I can drive ..I can go where I like . Planning , late invites to parties , and Its been just wonderful to be able to just drink Narm . My thought process ..I make a statement , I say to myself " I really meant that " ..Im completely Sober , my thoughts , I believe far deeper , my spirituality ..far more intense , My relationships ( all ) , just much easier .. with everyone really ..my nightly 5 k walk ( dont have to talk myself into it ) .<BR><BR> Attitude ..Freedom and Fitness are my keys words .<BR><BR> I know its only been a short time , I know I can easily slip back to the Merrygoround , but as each day passes I grow stronger ... Also I no longer see " Benefits " on the drinking side , I only see problems and a terrible addiction .... I really have enjoyed my journey so far ..Please wish me luck and strength .

c

It sounds as though you have a very good perspective. I think you already have strength so I wish you continued luck and success in your endeavor.