Born On?

howler

HI all,

Last time through Pattaya was up on the hill and noticed there is a different Buddha for each day of the week. What little I could understand from My Thai speaking friend, I guess the day you were born has some significance. Since I was born on a Sunday, I was wondering if anybody could tell me what this means.

I did a seach on the Buddhism forum and couldnt find anything.

Thanks

Thai culture does associate days with Buddhism, even if it is not really a Buddhist practise. Each day of the week has a different Buddha image associated with it - standing, sitting, lying, with the naga serpant protection etc... Also, what day you are born on determines your Buddhist name especially if it is a pali name for ordination. I know one family with 4 kids, and their names all begin with an 'A' as they were all born on a monday (I think)

HI all,

Last time through Pattaya was up on the hill and noticed there is a different Buddha for each day of the week. What little I could understand from My Thai speaking friend, I guess the day you were born has some significance. Since I was born on a Sunday, I was wondering if anybody could tell me what this means.

Thanks

This is a practise of Thai Belief System using Buddha's images in association with each day of the week. Each of the 7 poses represents a different story of the life of Bhudda. There usually is a specific prayer that goes with each day as well.

For your Sunday birthday, the pose is a standing pose with his eyes open. It represents the Buddha after his enlightenment when he stood by the river side for seven days and reflected on the enlightenment....

HI all,

Thanks

This is a practise of Thai Belief System using Buddha's images in association with each day of the week. Each of the 7 poses represents a different story of the life of Bhudda. There usually is a specific prayer that goes with each day as well.

For your Sunday birthday, the pose is a standing pose with his eyes open. It represents the Buddha after his enlightenment when he stood by the river side for seven days and reflected on the enlightenment....

Thanks Dara,

Been away from the computer for a while. :o