Hotel Poseidon

JohnC

Having mourned the loss of the Poseidon Hotel Jomtien brunch buffet I was delighted this week to find the restaurant has been completely refurbished and is now serving the aforesaid brunch buffet!

Went down yesterday and was not disappointed , lovely restaurant complete with red carpet at the entrance! Excellent attentive staff and the menu was very similar as the old Poseidon.

Now known as Bistro Oscar with a retrograde look the hot food is cooked to order in the kitchen as opposed to outside, the salad bar and bread station was excellent as was the sweet counter with the addition of pancakes & syrup, unlimited tea/coffee. Not for the cheap Charlie s as the price has increased slightly to 175 baht but well worth it in my opinion, they will open for dinner on 2nd August and I am looking forward to seeing the menu when it is published shortly, certainly a place to go for a nice meal if you live in Jomtien. The website is still under construction /web site link deleted by Admin/

Edited by webfact
web site link deleted /Admin

I think it was discussed here a few months ago when Poseidon closed that in theory it was only for renovation and that the brunch buffet would be reopening at some point.

I suppose that the Casa Pascal version which opened after the Poseidon closed will remain open now. I dare say it will get the same 10B price increase.

Original was terrible. There is very little Western food of good value in Jomtien.There may be one or two lone exceptions such as Richman-Poorman.

Have you tried Cafe Ritz? Mignon? Aquarius? Shenanigans? Magg's? Pan Pan? Gian's? News Cafe?

Original was terrible. There is very little Western food of good value in Jomtien.There may be one or two lone exceptions such as Richman-Poorman.

Have you tried Cafe Ritz? Mignon? Aquarius? Shenanigans? Magg's? Pan Pan? Gian's? News Cafe?

Yes, I have(except for Mignon) and they were mediocre at best or way overpriced. Many started good, like Magg's, but went downhill fast.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Yes, I have(except for Mignon) and they were mediocre at best or way overpriced. Many started good, like Magg's, but went downhill fast.

My impressions.

Ritz, usually good, sometimes major flaws like appetizer past its sell by date, a desert that was frozen when it shouldn't have been.

Mignon, yet to really do, but tried their cheapo set meal, don't bother, you will still be hungry. I think it is probably good for their regular menu.

Aquarius, yet to try, I feel this is a "gay" restaurant, and even though I'm gay not usually my scene, but have heard a lot of people like the food so will try, appealing looking set menus

Shenanigans, bad experience with the food, never again

Maggs, overrated, bland food, yes I know it's British food, but anyway ..

Pan Pan, lots of good stuff on the menu, sure, but I got bored with the place, good desserts

Gians, for me too frou frou

News Cafe, used to go there, it was pretty good

Nothing to write home about exactly.

Edited by Jingthing

Original was terrible.

The original Poseidon brunch buffet was almost exactly the same as the current Casa Pascal one. I think it was/is rather good for the price, as indeed do the majority of people who have posted about it.

The new Poseidon buffet is quite a bit different to the original. I had a quick look earlier today as I was walking nearby. It's on a much smaller table for a start, with much smaller dishes, and there seemed to be fewer dishes also though I didnt count them. I wasnt very tempted. The decor is very modern and red, and I dont find that very relaxing. If the two were next door to each other I think I would rather go to Casa Pascal.

Original was terrible.

The original Poseidon brunch buffet was almost exactly the same as the current Casa Pascal one. I think it was/is rather good for the price, as indeed do the majority of people who have posted about it.

The new Poseidon buffet is quite a bit different to the original. I had a quick look earlier today as I was walking nearby. It's on a much smaller table for a start, with much smaller dishes, and there seemed to be fewer dishes also though I didnt count them. I wasnt very tempted. The decor is very modern and red, and I dont find that very relaxing. If the two were next door to each other I think I would rather go to Casa Pascal.

When I said "original" I meant as i tried it a year or two ago. That may be after your experience.

What I remember is a display that looked great and at first tasted Ok but after a while felt like you ate the absolute worst bacon, toast and other stuff out there. Others have felt the same but most don't post about it.

I can't comment about Casa Pascal as I haven't been there.

When I said "original" I meant as i tried it a year or two ago. That may be after your experience.

What I remember is a display that looked great and at first tasted Ok but after a while felt like you ate the absolute worst bacon, toast and other stuff out there. Others have felt the same but most don't post about it.

I went to the Poseidon late last year and it seemed fine then. Hard to imagine how anyone can criticise the bread and pastries which are uniformly excellent. Unless you prefer sweet factory "bread" as sold by 7-11 and used extensively in most breakfast places in town?

As for others feeling the same but not posting, I dont really see how they can be given any credence if they cant be bothered to say anything about it.

I went to the Poseidon late last year and it seemed fine then. Hard to imagine how anyone can criticise the bread and pastries which are uniformly excellent. Unless you prefer sweet factory "bread" as sold by 7-11 and used extensively in most breakfast places in town?

As for others feeling the same but not posting, I dont really see how they can be given any credence if they cant be bothered to say anything about it.

Man I don't where to begin but I am convinced many farng either have no taste or have forgotten how good food was in the west. For good pastries try Cambodia or even Phucket - anywhere but Pattaya. And as for 7-11 I don't buy anything but water and beer there. Good bread is hard to find here but Foodland is not too bad.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Man I don't where to begin but I am convinced many farng either have no taste or have forgotten how good food was in the west. For good pastries try Cambodia or even Phucket - anywhere but Pattaya. And as for 7-11 I don't buy anything but water and beer there. Good bread is hard to find here but Foodland is not too bad.

Totally agree. Little effort is put into substandard produce too often and marketed as excellent or even half decent when in reality its the best of a bad lot. Thailand has a lot to learn in the baking dept.

Original was terrible.

I wnt to Poseidon once, the last time before the closed. I strongly disagree with your comments. I think the products are of a decent enough quality. Of course if they were to supply free range organic bacon and a glass of champagne with breakfast, they might feel the need to increase the price of the buffet significantly.

To be blunt, I think perhaps you have an axe to grind. :)

A freshly cooked to order breakfast, decent bread and a variety of side dishes including desserts and you are complaining about the quality of the food??

I stayed at the APEX a very long time ago. Went down for breakfast and didn't eat a single item. Perhaps the quality has improved since. To try to suggested that Poseidon used the worst of ingredients is just crap.

Foodland?? What a bizarre post. That fact is, much like anywhere, you have to shop around to get what you want.

Perhaps TOPS in Central for some products. I prefer the French croissant made by the company on 3rd road, but the TOPS 'purple' product was ok.

Part of the problem is that people don't want to pay for a quality product. How many would visit the brunch if it were 500 baht, but used premium products?

So restaurateurs often have to work to a budget, rather than to produce the best product that they can.

Original was terrible.

I wnt to Poseidon once, the last time before the closed. I strongly disagree with your comments. I think the products are of a decent enough quality. Of course if they were to supply free range organic bacon and a glass of champagne with breakfast, they might feel the need to increase the price of the buffet significantly.

A freshly cooked to order breakfast, decent bread and a variety of side dishes including desserts and you are complaining about the quality of the food??

I stayed at the APEX a very long time ago. Went down for breakfast and didn't eat a single item. Perhaps the quality has improved since. To try to suggested that Poseidon used the worst of ingredients is just crap.

Instead of free-range organic bacon why not some decent Canadian back-bacon? I have no axe to grind except to post my honest opinion. - I even thought the decor and service was good and really, really wanted this place to be different. I'm not sure why you mention Apex as I stopped going there a long time ago.

But Pattaya has better choice for breakfast than Apex and certainly better than Jomtien.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Foodland?? What a bizarre post. That fact is, much like anywhere, you have to shop around to get what you want.

Perhaps TOPS in Central for some products. I prefer the French croissant made by the company on 3rd road, but the TOPS 'purple' product was ok.

Part of the problem is that people don't want to pay for a quality product. How many would visit the brunch if it were 500 baht, but used premium products?

So restaurateurs often have to work to a budget, rather than to produce the best product that they can.

500 baht may not fly for the Pattay crowd but check out the more reasonable 300 baht brunch in Beefeaters across from Mike shopping. It can be done. Not to mention the thread talking about the 5 star hotel (Hyatt) buffets. Nothing like those options exists in the Jomtien area.

check out the more reasonable 300 baht brunch in Beefeaters across from Mike shopping. It can be done.

That's double the cost of Casa Pascal (with loyalty card). As such it doesnt seem a fair comparison.

(That said I will go in and look at Beefeaters one day, just to see what it is. Cant imagine I would buy it though; I hardly ever spend more than 200B on a meal and even that I only do once a week or so. I would be absurdly fat otherwise, as opposed to just being absurd.)

Original was terrible.

Instead of free-range organic bacon why not some decent Canadian back-bacon? I have no axe to grind except to post my honest opinion. - I even thought the decor and service was good and really, really wanted this place to be different. I'm not sure why you mention Apex as I stopped going there a long time ago.

But Pattaya has better choice for breakfast than Apex and certainly better than Jomtien.

Canadian bacon in Thailand? At what cost? I mentioned APEX as it's at a similar price point. Would you prefer Lek? My point is your post is just nonsense. There is no way that they used the worst of ingredients. Not even close to it.

Both the New Pascals across from Royal Garden and the older location in Jomtien SUCKED.

Low end food being shoveled down by groups of folks who like a trip to the gym would be a death sentence

As to your post... it's the worst of all. Just looks as if you are trying to smear someone's business.

Casa Pascal is one of the best restaurants in Pattaya for 'western' food. 'Low end food'? That would be McDonalds and the like. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Canadian bacon in Thailand? At what cost? I mentioned APEX as it's at a similar price point. Would you prefer Lek? My point is your post is just nonsense. There is no way that they used the worst of ingredients. Not even close to it.

about

I've had canadian bacon in Bangkok at Nana - cost 150 Baht with egss, toast and coffee. So your post is nonsense. And if the ingredients in Poisedden weren't worst, I would hate to taste what "worst" is to you.

I always thought the Poseiden in Jomtien was great value with its fresh milk, cereals, Scandanavian appetizers, cheeses, fresh breads, plus a fresh grilled breakfast with decent lean meats instead of bacon. I am looking foreward to trying the new restaurant next week. Is someone going for a colonoscopy tomorrow?

"And if the ingredients in Poisedden weren't worst, I would hate to taste what "worst" is to you."

BJB, you're waaaaaay off here. Before, Poseidon's buffet (which did include bacon) priced at 165 baht, was definitely the best quality breakfast buffet spread available in the greater Pattaya area (GPA) under 200 baht; also best tasting & best selection, too- hands down. We are all, absolutely entitiled to our opinions and preferences but, in this case, you are definitely a member (leader?) of the local (and vocal) minority.

B)

Edited by Michaelaway

"And if the ingredients in Poisedden weren't worst, I would hate to taste what "worst" is to you."

BJB, you're waaaaaay off here. Before, Poseidon's buffet (which did include bacon) priced at 165 baht, was definitely the best quality breakfast buffet spread available in the greater Pattaya area (GPA) under 200 baht; also best tasting & best selection, too- hands down. We are all, absolutely entitiled to our opinions and preferences but, in this case, you are definitely a member (leader?) of the local (and vocal) minority.

B)

What do you mean by "best selection"? Most variety in breakfst food choice? If so, then that is clearly false as the Apex had far more on offer - both Western and Thai - than Posieden. Or do you mean "best taste", in which case you are being redundant. Your post reads as an advertisement for Posiedden though I am sure you have no connection to the owner B)

B)

What do you mean by "best selection"? Most variety in breakfst food choice? If so, then that is clearly false as the Apex had far more on offer - both Western and Thai - than Posieden. Or do you mean "best taste", in which case you are being redundant. Your post reads as an advertisement for Posiedden though I am sure you have no connection to the owner B)

It just looks as if you have an axe to grind. No one is swallowing your 'story'.

The bacon is but one ingredient and I had no problem with their streaky bacon. In case you didn't know, that is traditional for breakfast. I popped outside and selected the rashers that I wanted, ordered freshly scrambled eggs and grilled tomatoes. Heated up a croissant on the toaster and toasted some brown bread. Moved on to some fruit to clean the palate and then helped myself to some sliced meats and cheese. Finished up with a couple of desserts.

The quality of the food far outshines the crap at the APEX and any other similarly priced breakfast buffets.

In fact I simply won't eat at LEK or APEX. I enjoy eating, not just filling myself up with crap.

The brunch at Casa Pascal and formerly at Poseidon is excellent value for money. Of that there is no doubt. The service is impeccable. It is absolutely ridiculous that for the measly price of £3.30 or US$5.50 that you are kicking up a fuss about Canadian bacon.

I'm not Canadian, so why would I want Canadian bacon?? Maybe Danish, maybe Irish, but Canadian?? On which planet do you reside?

I'm happy to get decent Western food at such a low price. The quality of the western food at comparably priced buffets is abysmal. You are just a joker.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

about

I've had canadian bacon in Bangkok at Nana - cost 150 Baht with egss, toast and coffee. So your post is nonsense. And if the ingredients in Poisedden weren't worst, I would hate to taste what "worst" is to you.

They had exactly the same ingredients as do Casa Pascal;

Breakfast & Lunch Buffet

Fresh baked

Croissants

Waffles with Maple Syrup

Fresh baked Muffins

English Toast

Pigs Tail Bread

Batard Bread

Swiss Farmer Bread

Rustico Bread

Delicacies

Smoked Fish

Ham

Salami

Pepper Bologna

Mushroom Lyoner

Vitamins

Coleslaw Salad

Potato Salad

Corn Salad

Tomato Salad

Cucumber Salad

Mixed Lettuce

For the Hang-Over

Western Style Soup

Thai Style Soup

Hot dishes & Cooking Station

Bacon, Ham, Sausages

Pork Escallops, Chicken

Eggs of your choice

Farmers Potatoes

Pasta dish

Roeschti Potatoes

Mixed Vegetables

Sweets

Mixed Yogurts, Cereal

Butter, Jam and Marmalade, Honey

Assorted Fruits

Selection of Desserts

Beverage

Fresh brewed Coffee & Tea

Fresh Milk

Orange Juice

Pineapple Juice

Price: 165 Baht

B)

In saying "best selection," I meant Posiedon had a higher percentage of appealing food choices that I wanted to eat than anyplace else (ie; Apex , Lek, Bella Express). By, "best taste," I meant that Poseidon prepared the eggs, bacon or whatever they had in common with the other buffets in a more delicious manner. If you feel I was redundant... ok. If you think I have anything whatsoever to do with Poseidon, other than having eaten there a few times... that's fine. But, actually, I'm only a customer... just like you, krap.

:wai:

"The quality of the food far outshines the crap at the APEX and any other similarly priced breakfast buffets.

In fact I simply won't eat at LEK or APEX. I enjoy eating, not just filling myself up with crap.

The brunch at Casa Pascal and formerly at Poseidon is excellent value for money. Of that there is no doubt. The service is impeccable.

I'm happy to get decent Western food at such a low price."

Bingo! Spot On, Matey.

B)

B)

It just looks as if you have an axe to grind. No one is swallowing your 'story'.

The bacon is but one ingredient and I had no problem with their streaky bacon. In case you didn't know, that is traditional for breakfast. I popped outside and selected the rashers that I wanted, ordered freshly scrambled eggs and grilled tomatoes. Heated up a croissant on the toaster and toasted some brown bread. Moved on to some fruit to clean the palate and then helped myself to some sliced meats and cheese. Finished up with a couple of desserts.

The quality of the food far outshines the crap at the APEX and any other similarly priced breakfast buffets.

The brunch at Casa Pascal and formerly at Poseidon is excellent value for money. Of that there is no doubt. The service is impeccable. It is absolutely ridiculous that for the measly price of £3.30 or US$5.50 that you are kicking up a fuss about Canadian bacon.

I'm not Canadian, so why would I want Canadian bacon?? Maybe Danish, maybe Irish, but Canadian?? On which planet do you reside?

I'm happy to get decent Western food at such a low price. The quality of the western food at comparably priced buffets is abysmal. You are just a joker.

Who is kicking up a fuss? Seems you and your cronies are. I stand by my opinion that there was NO good buffet for the prices you mention in Jomtien in the past 2 years. . Please note that I am not giving any opinion on Casa Pascal as I have not tried it. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. However, the way you are throwing a hissy-fit makes me really wonder about you

Edited by BugJackBaron