Arrested In Phi Phi

nickmanchester2

My cousin is staying with me at the moment, her and her boyfriend (first time in Thailand, early 20s).

They came back to my place a couple of days ago after the boyfriend getting locked up overnight on Koh Phi Phi for breaking a window in a hotel room. He did not break the window, he just came back from a night out and the women who own the hotel (I wont put the mane up of the place just yet) told him that he had broke it - he denied it but she said she saw him breaking it. The women called the police, the police took his and his girlfriends passports and a bag containing 10,000b. They locked him up overnight in a cell with no electricity, bed or light - just wooden floorboards and a toilet. They locked the place up and then left him on his own without even a glass of water.

In the morning, they charged him 20,000b for small window that they accused him of breaking and also look the 10,000 from the bag but denied taking it.

Is it worth going to the tourist police? Anything they can do now?

It was 3rd July when all this happened.

Another scam with the BIB they are such a bunch of crooks, however waste of time persuing the case and you will never see the money again, do you think any Thai cares you have lost 30,000 they will be jealous that they were not in on the scam, but thays it . Why anyone would visit that toilet Phuket is beyond me.

The whole story sounds Fishy :w00t:

Most money issues are arbitrated by the Police and involved parties to a settlement.

Hardly likely that the guy was simply arrested, put in a cell overnite alone somewhere, and money from the couples room taken by the BIB.

Now if there was some other reason (say a little whacky tobackey), that might just cost the couple some baht to get out of.

A window and some irritation at a guest house or hotel property would be only a couple thousand baht. Happens all the time and is negotiated by the BIB reguarly.

Of course they will want their share of some tea money for thier trouble, but hardly the 20,000 or more mentioned here.

tell your consulate rep.unless they get their money back you will name the hotel and e-mail the press back home[24hrs] dont give much hope but the hotel will loose out in the end.

They are pretty clueless travelers I am afraid - always been scammed as they look like such newbies (600b the other day for 2 sandwiches!).

I think I am just going to forget about it - they are not bothered really, but this kind of thing winds me up - it was 30,000b for the window, the police also took 10,000b out of his bag and said it was never there after charging him 20,000b for the window.

Another scam with the BIB they are such a bunch of crooks, however waste of time persuing the case and you will never see the money again, do you think any Thai cares you have lost 30,000 they will be jealous that they were not in on the scam, but thays it . Why anyone would visit that toilet Phuket is beyond me.

It's actually Krabi. :)

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

Anyone that just got falsely accused, thrown in jail, had 10,000baht stolen and extorted out of 20,000baht by the police and is "not really bothered" is full of sh*t

i know, they are crazy - first time anywhere like this so with all the horror stories you hear about thailand with banged up abroad on tv etc, they come to expect it! his mum and dad were not surprised when he called them to borrow some money - amazing thailand.

The story is plausible.

I hate it when people say This is Thailand (TIT), but I'm afraid that in this case, it seems apt.

They would waste a lot of time and effort trying to get justice, only to get nowhere.

They just earned their MBA in traveling in Thailand. Hope they enjoy the rest of their trip.

They are pretty clueless travelers I am afraid - always been scammed as they look like such newbies (600b the other day for 2 sandwiches!).

If they bought hot pastrami sandwiches from that place in Bangkok that imports pastrami from New York, they did not get scammed.

Lived in Thailand 9 years now and every time I hear these story's I know that there is more to it than has been told. If they don't want to make a complaint from the safety of their home country, there is something amiss. Jim

they are not in their home country, they are with me in thailand.

Well, he has a receipt for the 'fine' so I will try and make him go to tourist police tomorrow - as we all know, nothing will happen at all - just a waste of time really, but you have to try.

Well its not Phuket or Krabi its Phi Phu from what he OP said.

From my admittedly limited experience , gained through the two days I've spent there in the last 5 years, I would say nothing has changed. Violence and police intimidation was par for the course then and nothing has changed.

Learn the lesson...its a tourist trap and one to seriously avoid.

If they bought hot pastrami sandwiches from that place in Bangkok that imports pastrami from New York, they did not get scammed.

lol.. biggrin.gif

Lived in Thailand 9 years now and every time I hear these story's I know that there is more to it than has been told. If they don't want to make a complaint from the safety of their home country, there is something amiss. Jim

That can be true - I'm aware of a farang guy, I guess 15 years back, who claimed to be badly treated when he took his girlfriend to the Pattaya City Hall, for the girlfriend to update some personal documentation.

Several other farang in fact winessed the complaining guys actual behavior, he walked around and around the building (dressed in tiny running shorts and a big floppy singlet) demanding at the top of his voice to be issued with a Thai passport there and then. Lots of nasty abuse with many expletives screamed at the officials who tried to speak with him and tried to explain to him that there is a process and in eny event passports are not issued at that office, also threw chairs around, kicked furniture and walls, and more.

Also aware of a farang businessman who was 'dobbed in' by another farang for not paying Thai tax. First guy cheated the secong guy for a sizeable amount of Baht so second guy decided to get even. Second guy went to police who directed him to the Thai Revenue Dept., who quickly investigated and fined first farang heavily for tax avoidance. At the hearing first farang decided to abuse all the officials involved, he did 48 hours in the Banglamung short time cells, and of course still tells the story of how he was mistreated.

Edited by scorecard

Well, he has a receipt for the 'fine' so I will try and make him go to tourist police tomorrow - as we all know, nothing will happen at all - just a waste of time really, but you have to try.

Make sure of your facts before you make a complaint. I don't know what went down, but if the BF was drunk and abusive, that may make things different. You say the owner saw him break the window, why did she pick him out instead of someone else. What was he locked up for { charge] and what does the receipt say. Making a false police report is a prison-able offense in Thailand, so make damed sure your cousin and her boyfriend are giving you all the facts. Jim

Make sure of your facts before you make a complaint. I don't know what went down, but if the BF was drunk and abusive, that may make things different. You say the owner saw him break the window, why did she pick him out instead of someone else. What was he locked up for { charge] and what does the receipt say. Making a false police report is a prison-able offense in Thailand, so make damed sure your cousin and her boyfriend are giving you all the facts. Jim

ok thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Phi Phi: by far my favourite place in Thailand so far, your friend's/relatives were unlucky one way or another.

I would definitely live there if they had better schools and any type of better tsunami protection than a two storey glass building in the center of the Island!