Married To Thai - Want To Move To Thailand

Hi all,

I am a 30 year old British male citizen with a degree in IT.

I am currently on £27K and my Thai wife and I wish to move to Thailand because shes home sick and its supposedly cheaper living there. We got married in May 2005 and have an 11 month old baby daughter, Suranya. My wife, Nitaya is a Thai national and holds a Thai passport. I have a UK passport of course and we are in the process of applying for a UK passport for our daughter. Nitaya has been in the UK for the past 18 years on an indefinate leave to remain UK Visa as she has 2 kids from her previous, Scottish, husband.

I do not speak fluent Thai. Only English.

UK taxes and living expenses are sky high and as I'm the only earner we're only just getting by. Plus I am the adventurous type and loved it the last time I went there on holiday with the wife (then gf).

What I would like to know is how we should go about moving to Thailand. In what order should do things?

I was thinking of the following steps, is this the best way forward?

1) Secure a job in Thailand over the Internet with a Thai IT recruitment agency.

2) Let them arrange my work permit.

3) Once job & work permit secured, fly to Thailand on a return flight (in case of emergency).

4) If wife wants to go early, let her go with daughter. She has family in Bangkok.

5) If we go at the same time, we can contact her family to arrange for rental of a moderate house in Bangkok for us.

Also, we dont have much savings, only a few thousand pounds. Is this a problem? If so I'll have to let her go there first and I'll start saving up by moving from our 2-bed house (which costs £710/month rent) to a room in a shared house (£300-£350/month).

Is there a real IT shortage in Bangkok? I have an MCSE as well as the BSc (Hons) Computing & Informatics, 7 years work experience in IT support which includes the following technology:

* Windows 2000 Server support

* Red Hat Linux/Advanced Server support

* TCP/IP & Networking support

* MSSQL support

* mySQL support

* ASP, PHP, HTML, Perl, BASH programming

* plus more

Any other tips for us please?

Many Thanks

James

I am aware that IT salaries in UK who not as relatively high as they used to be and I can understand that on your salary you find things tight. But with your qualifications you can be sure your salary will improve. Everybody in your situation and your age has dreams of moving abroad.

Poor sods like me have to wait until they are retired

Yes living in Thailand can be cheap. It can also be bl**dy expensive if you want a western life style and school fees will be outrageous if you want to get the equivalent of a UK state education. Health care costs? No NHS here.

Coming here on holiday is not the same as living here. And if you are coming here with a family then it could get downright boring.

If, as it appears you are moving because your wife is homesick it a a VERY BAD idea. Tell her to wait until kids are grown up.

Sorry to sound like an agony aunt.

The steps you suggest and your idea for obtaining employment are flawed (secure a job over the internet -brave man) but I'll let those with more experience advise you. No idea if IT jobs are open to foreigners or if so how easy to obtain.

SINCERE ADVICE: DON'T COME

If you come to Thailand have you considered changing professions to teaching English?

Alteratively you can send out lots of CVs to companies for which your professional qualifications are relevant. If you're lucky you'll get one rejection letter. More likely though you'll not hear a squeak from a single one of them. Courteous responses are not a la mode in Thailand.

Sound advice from Seen all Learnt Nothing:

Im in the UK

30 years old

28k in IT

and gagging to move back to thailand with my wife (25yrs)

Ive looked into it and have come to the conclusion that despite us saving all of my wifes salary (250gbp) per week, we would still need to wait another 5 years to give us just over 5m baht - which is the least amount i would consider moving over their with...

and i still reckon that i would have sporadic visits back to UK to save some beans before going back out there.

unless you have a fantastic opportunity drop into your lap or work for a large multinational that will move you over there, i wouldnt even consider pinning any hopes on signing up with an IT agency and relying on that for a stable future...

more so if youre not a fluent thai speaker.

easier said than done i know - earn your crust here and spend it there.... if you find another way of doing it without the capital now.... please, please, please tell me!

maybe you could consider another country in the region like singapore or Malaysia..

you would have more of an opportunity of finding gainful employment and it would allow your wife to only be a short distance from her family and friends ...

In IT in thailand it does seem that unless you are specifically skilled in a niche market where there is as skill shortage, you will struggle to find employment ..

good luck in whatever your decision is....

I am aware that IT salaries in UK who not as relatively high as they used to be and I can understand that on your salary you find things tight. But with your qualifications you can be sure your salary will improve. Everybody in your situation and your age has dreams of moving abroad.

Poor sods like me have to wait until they are retired

Yes living in Thailand can be cheap. It can also be bl**dy expensive if you want a western life style and school fees will be outrageous if you want to get the equivalent of a UK state education. Health care costs? No NHS here.

Coming here on holiday is not the same as living here. And if you are coming here with a family then it could get downright boring. 

If, as it appears you are moving because your wife is homesick it a a VERY BAD idea. Tell her to wait until kids are grown up.

Sorry to sound like an agony aunt.

The steps you suggest and your idea for obtaining employment are flawed (secure a job over the internet -brave man) but I'll let those with more experience advise you. No idea if IT jobs are open to foreigners or if so how easy to obtain.

SINCERE ADVICE: DON'T COME

I don't want a western lifestyle: just a clean house, a western toilet, an internet connection and food in the fridge.

I do want a good education for our daughter though. How much is this likely to cost?

Im in the UK

30 years old

28k in IT

Ive looked into it and have come to the conclusion that despite us saving all of my wifes salary (250gbp) per week, we would still need to wait another 5 years to give us just over 5m baht - which is the least amount i would consider moving over their with...

and i still reckon that i would have sporadic visits back to UK to save some beans before going back out there.

unless you have a fantastic opportunity drop into your lap or work for a large multinational that will move you over there, i wouldnt even consider pinning any hopes on signing up with an IT agency and relying on that for a stable future...

easier said than done i know - earn your crust here and spend it there.... if you find another way of doing it without the capital now.... please, please, please tell me!

I'm considering letting her move there with our daughter and live with her mother and cousins while I stay at home and live in a shared house to save enough to move there.

Why do you want to save at least 5m baht? Do you want to buy a house and not get a job over there?

maybe you could consider another country in the region like singapore or Malaysia..

you would have more of an opportunity of finding gainful employment and it would allow your wife to only be a short distance from her family and friends ...

In IT in thailand it does seem that unless you are specifically skilled in a niche market where there is as skill shortage, you will struggle to find employment ..

good luck in whatever your decision is....

I dont think my wife would like that idea :o

Any ideas how to look for a job in Thailand while being here in the UK? If its possible...

Any ideas how to look for a job in Thailand while being here in the UK? If its possible...

I believe several members on the forum, including myself, have made that attempt. Trying to obtain a position in Thailand if not here is difficult. What I did for nearly a year was to read any regional (Thai specific) newspapers and look for ads. Also looked into professional journals (career specific) to see what might be available. Most International postings to Thailand would require you to be high up on the totum pole and been with the company for a long time (seniority).

Bottom line was I had no luck sending CVs to Thailand (never got a response from any company). Decided to just pack up and come over for a year and see what I can find. Took a year leave of abscence, wasn't ready to burn my bridges yet. Luckily I did find a great position and haven't looked back since.

Try the professional journals and periodicals as I did. Your luck could easily be different then mine (remote job searching).

I believe several members on the forum, including myself, have made that attempt. Trying to obtain a position in Thailand if not here is difficult. What I did for nearly a year was to read any regional (Thai specific) newspapers and look for ads. Also looked into professional journals (career specific) to see what might be available. Most International postings to Thailand would require you to be high up on the totum pole and been with the company for a long time (seniority).

Bottom line was I had no luck sending CVs to Thailand (never got a response from any company). Decided to just pack up and come over for a year and see what I can find. Took a year leave of abscence, wasn't ready to burn my bridges yet. Luckily I did find a great position and haven't looked back since.

Try the professional journals and periodicals as I did. Your luck could easily be different then mine (remote job searching).

Do you mean search the Internet for Thai jobs and check UK IT magazines?

Im in the UK

30 years old

28k in IT

I'm considering letting her move there with our daughter and live with her mother and cousins while I stay at home and live in a shared house to save enough to move there.

Why do you want to save at least 5m baht? Do you want to buy a house and not get a job over there?

Basically yes...

If you can bare staying in the UK to work/save before going over - fair enough... personally i couldnt do that, that said my wife is working so saving money quickly isnt a problem at the moment - but we dont have any kids

Given the work situation in thailand - regarding farrangs and IT work, i cant honestly see me getting a job in BKK that they couldnt get a thai national to do at a cheaper price.... not that i know what thai network analysts get, im just assuming.

The reason i say 5m is that there is another forum member that i am good mates with, he sold his bar in patong and moved to chainat (central thai), built a modest house and started a dairy farm. Bearing in mind he already has a house and a growing business he advised that 5m would be a good benchmark capital amount to have before moving out there.... if you dont intend on working just living off the business turnover.

Im sure many others will say thats rubbish - i came here with a thousand pounds 90 years ago or whatever and others will say 5m wont buy you sh*t.... but you need to consider your age - youre a young chap with a young family and you dont want to be scratching around trying to keep yourself in work to support a life in a forreign country.

By all means try - you wont know if you dont - but do try to get more than a few grand up together before jumping in at the deep end.

In My Humble Opinion anyway

Do you mean search the Internet for Thai jobs and check UK IT magazines?

At the time I was looking the Internet was not as useful for searching as it is now. So that is one more tool you can use. As for regional periodicals, things like the Bangkok Post, The Nation, etc. should be available in the UK. And, yes the UK IT magazines, not the hobbiest type but catering to IT professionals.

Im in the UK

30 years old

28k in IT

Basically yes...

If you can bare staying in the UK to work/save before going over - fair enough... personally i couldnt do that, that said my wife is working so saving money quickly isnt a problem at the moment - but we dont have any kids

Given the work situation in thailand - regarding farrangs and IT work, i cant honestly see me getting a job in BKK that they couldnt get a thai national to do at a cheaper price.... not that i know what thai network analysts get, im just assuming.

The reason i say 5m is that there is another forum member that i am good mates with, he sold his bar in patong and moved to chainat (central thai), built a modest house and started a dairy farm. Bearing in mind he already has a house and a growing business he advised that 5m would be a good benchmark capital amount to have before moving out there.... if you dont intend on working just living off the business turnover.

Im sure many others will say thats rubbish - i came here with a thousand pounds 90 years ago or whatever and others will say 5m wont buy you sh*t.... but you need to consider your age - youre a young chap with a young family and you dont want to be scratching around trying to keep yourself in work to support a life in a forreign country.

By all means try - you wont know if you dont - but do try to get more than a few grand up together before jumping in at the deep end.

In My Humble Opinion anyway

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I can handle being without her or the daughter for more than 6 months. But as I like online computer games a lot I can keep myself occupied (sad as it may be).

As you say I dont wanna be worried about finding a job while I'm there while the money we have dwindles away. You got some good advice cheers for that.

Do you speak fluent Thai then?

One point is that you currently require an income of 40k per month to obtain extension of stay so that I would consider absolute minimum salary unless you want to joint the border run brigade.

You can you can live cheap but what about the family? You may find all kinds of pressure - and I may be reading things into this but the wife having been overseas 18 years and now homesick, but with kids in UK, and on a second husband, I would not count on the move improving things if that is the hope. But as I said that is just speculation and apologize if you feel it is out of line. Just be very sure before you can your life.

At the time I was looking the Internet was not as useful for searching as it is now. So that is one more tool you can use.  As for regional periodicals, things like the Bangkok Post, The Nation, etc. should be available in the UK.  And, yes the UK IT magazines, not the hobbiest type but catering to IT professionals.

Thanks tywais!

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I can handle being without her or the daughter for more than 6 months. But as I like online computer games a lot I can keep myself occupied (sad as it may be).

As you say I dont wanna be worried about finding a job while I'm there while the money we have dwindles away. You got some good advice cheers for that.

Do you speak fluent Thai then?

nothing sad about online gaming mate....

and no i dont speak fluent thai - i learnt the basics at a language schoool whilst i was staying in bkk, and being there day in day out you get to use it and improve - i could have half intelligent conversation but now im back in UK i just say the same old simple sentences to the mrs in our own 50% thai 50% english.... but thats just me being lazy, ive still got all the language books from the school.

its certainly worth following up on tywais advice too - sign up for the jobs classifieds on bangkok post - always worth a look.

One point is that you currently require an income of 40k per month to obtain extension of stay so that I would consider absolute minimum salary unless you want to joint the border run brigade.

You can you can live cheap but what about the family?  You may find all kinds of pressure - and I may be reading things into this but the wife having been overseas 18 years and now homesick, but with kids in UK, and on a second husband, I would not count on the move improving things if that is the hope.  But as I said that is just speculation and apologize if you feel it is out of line.  Just be very sure before you can your life.

Its ok I appreciate any constructive comment or criticism!

I feel our relationship is strong enough to endure the separation if she and the daughter goes. However theres still that possibly it goes sour through every effort possible. No offense to the older guys but I'm not a 65 year old with a 25 year old wife that turns every blokes head she walks past. She's 9 years older than me which I think puts the ball in my court if you know what I mean and I'm totally against adultery etc. etc. having experienced the effects of adultery firsthand as a child.

If I get lonely I'll just go online and if I get horny I'll have a hand shandy!!! :o

fair enough sounds like a lot of thought has gone into it, and much more will be needed especially with 3 kids to accomodate, yu could go to a library ( where i spent many dinner hours) to ook in a couple of international job papers, can't remember the names, but just pop in and ask.

fair enough sounds like a lot of thought has gone into it, and much more will be needed especially with 3 kids to accomodate, yu could go to a library ( where i spent many dinner hours) to ook in a couple of international job papers, can't remember the names, but just pop in and ask.

Nice idea cheers!

Edit: btw I have 1 kid, her other 2 are in Scotland and grown up now. With their dad too.

Edited by Fireball

I do want a good education for our daughter though. How much is this likely to cost?

I notice than no-one has advised on cost of education for your 11 month old daughter. I have a 5 month old daughter and I have been looking at the cost to educate her in years to come. Assuming you want her to be edcuated in English, in an International School, with English Curriculum (GSCE etc) then you can expect to pay anywhere from 300,000 baht and upwards per year. Some of the better International Schools will set you back in excess of 700,000 per year (nearly 10,000 Pounds Sterling).

Kindergarden starts at 2 years old and the rates are not that much cheaper. You will need a good job or good income to afford those kind of school fees. Without being unkind, free schooling in the UK is a very attractive alternative.

may i be so bold in to ask you why she is homesick ( ie; how long has she spent in the uk..etc..) are there any other factors that come into the equation?? is this a dream of yours you are following as well..but if you do make it over there and it all works out.....let us all in on your secret, and best of luck

I notice than no-one has advised on cost of education for your 11 month old daughter. I have a 5 month old daughter and I have been looking at the cost to educate her in years to come. Assuming you want her to be edcuated in English, in an International School, with English Curriculum (GSCE etc) then you can expect to pay anywhere from 300,000 baht and upwards per year. Some of the better International Schools will set you back in excess of 700,000 per year (nearly 10,000 Pounds Sterling).

Kindergarden starts at 2 years old and the rates are not that much cheaper. You will need a good job or good income to afford those kind of school fees. Without being unkind, free schooling in the UK is a very attractive alternative.

jeeeez - i best make that 10 years of saving then - not 5

Frikkin heck thats expensive! :o

I'm going to print this entire thread and show it to the missus tonight I think.

We still have lots of serious thinking to do. She wants to go next month!

Frikkin heck thats expensive! :o

I'm going to print this entire thread and show it to the missus tonight I think.

We still have lots of serious thinking to do. She wants to go next month!

well all the best with whatever you decide - but dont go rushing into it unless YOU'RE 100% happy with it.... as for going in a month.... :D

keep us posted either way

may i be so bold in to ask you why she is homesick ( ie; how long has she spent in the uk..etc..) are there any other factors that come into the equation?? is this a dream of yours you are following as well..but if you do make it over there and it all works out.....let us all in on your secret, and best of luck

I dont mind you asking any relevant questions. I think shes homesick because she has been in the UK for 18-19 years and is also tired of paying out all her wages to the landlord/taxman/nursery daycare centre/loan company.

Are you gonna retire there or something?

Fireball,

I have cut and paste a schedule of school fees for you:

Year Annual Fee 2004/5

Three payments

1st payment on enrolment

2nd payment by February 13th, 2005

Nursery 207,900 3 x 69,300

Reception 262,950 3 x 87,650

Years 1-2 294,080 3 x 98,027

Years 3-6 305,620 3 x 101,874

Years 7-9 313,970 3 x 104,560

Years 10-11 319,970 3 x 106,657

Years 10-11 333,000 3 x 111,000

I will not name the school although it seems fair enough. This is one of the cheaper schools too and there are additional charges/costs, e,g, transportation to and from school, meals uniforms, books etc. With your IT skills I am sure you can find more details, with any search engine, about International Schools in Thailand.

fIREWALL,

hAND SHANDY? If youre into internet porn forget Thailand. Set to be banned -seriously.

Your wife has 2 sons in Scotland. Still in contact. Is she not going to miss them?

You are coming here for the wrong reason - your wife's homesickness.

Consider this. If you make a mistake how easy financially will it be for you to return and would your wife return with you?

Most people move here after many trips and/or they're become hooked on the place or ensnared by he way of life or a bar-girl. Or because they are saddo's looking for excitement in their twilight years. (I'll let you guess where I fit in).

OK some come to work here but mostly singles, who've come to suck it and see, unless the've get VERY well paid jobs with multi-nationals. Many singles later marry Thais and live on modest incomes and can support Thai sife and their extended families but they choose to remain here after experiencing Thailand. Many go home. Many wcan no longer afford the UK.. Outside Bangkok most expats are reitrees it appears to me.

You do not fit the identikit off the usual suspects. I would like to be positive but I think you'd be making the biggest mistake of your life.

Do YOU really want to come. Are you excited by the prospect?

Auntie Seen All,

Forum Agony Aunt

Lets see, next post

Mel from Auckland,

You must attend a sexually transmitted disease clinic and suggest that you ask your vet to examine the entire flock without delay.

Fireball,

I have cut and paste a schedule of school fees for you:

Year Annual Fee 2004/5

Three payments

1st payment on enrolment

2nd payment by February 13th, 2005

Nursery 207,900  3 x 69,300

Reception  262,950  3 x 87,650

Years 1-2    294,080    3 x 98,027

Years 3-6  305,620  3 x 101,874

Years 7-9  313,970  3 x 104,560

Years 10-11  319,970  3 x 106,657

Years 10-11  333,000  3 x 111,000

I will not name the school although it seems fair enough.  This is one of the cheaper schools too and there are additional charges/costs, e,g, transportation to and from school, meals uniforms, books etc.  With your IT skills I am sure you can find more details, with any search engine, about International Schools in Thailand.

So thats around 3 payments of £1000 per year. Well thats alright I guess. If I have saved a lot in the UK first.

Nursery costs in the UK being £850/month makes it look rather cheap doesn't it?

So if I would like my daughter to attend an International school from 2 years to 16 years old it will cost about 15 x £3000 = £45000!!!! :o

Not gonna happen I think...